Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

I might be misremembering, but I thought I remember Shin saying something about Buu's power going up instead of decreasing when they turned him back into Kid Buu.

I think you were confused by my wording. I was saying the contextual evidence proved Super Buu was stronger, primarily the fact that Goku doesn't even try to fight Super Buu before resorting to fusion, while he's more than willing to break the earrings when dealing with Kid Buu.

Also, if Super Buu was actually weaker than Kid Buu, then the power scaling would be

Kid Buu >= Goku > Most Super Buu Transformations > Gohan > Super Buu + Piccolo > Super Buu >= SSJ3 Gotenks

which makes no sense for multiple reasons. Also, if absorbing people makes Kid Buu weaker, then the entire technique is pointless to begin with.

Yeah it's basically:

Mr Buu < Grey Buu < Majin Buu (normal) = somewhere around Kid Buu = somewhere around Majin Buu (angry with eyes open) = Somewhere around Goku SSJ3 < Super Buu = somewhere around Gotenks < Gohan < Super Buu + Gotenks/Piccolo < Super Buu with everyone < Vegito

People get confused because Toei dumb anime filler had Goku fighting Super Buu and stuff combined with people completely not understanding the difference between Mr Buu and Majin Buu or understanding that Goku never saw or felt Majin Buu mad or power up which he did around twice.

Shin is an idiot; Buu was getting buff and there was a fear he was getting more powerful then he turned into Kid Buu and they thought he was weaker, then they realized he was batshit insane and just blowing up everything. Kid Buu beat up Vegeta about as well as Majin Buu did when he bothered fighting back which shows pretty much where they range, as the poster above said, it was all about mentality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Checking the manga again, Goku even says that Super Buu would murder him and Vegeta as soon as they left his body.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Babidi's weird system? I think that was less power levels and more of a way of quantifying the energy they were collecting.

Nah, Dabura talks about his Kili level.

e: Even earlier vs Yukon

Kild fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Dec 9, 2021

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Huh. I stand corrected.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I do actually think he might be parodying himself with that tho.

Considering that whole part of the arc is Babidinand supreme Kai are dumb as poo poo

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Power levels make sense when you understand that they give vastly diminishing returns. 100,000 is barely more powerful than 10,000 so that’s why it starts jumping into the millions by the end of Namek.

Kili are a much more straightforward scale cause Goku was easily almost 4x stronger than Yakon there.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

PringleCreamEgg posted:

Power levels make sense when you understand that they give vastly diminishing returns. 100,000 is barely more powerful than 10,000 so that’s why it starts jumping into the millions by the end of Namek.

Kili are a much more straightforward scale cause Goku was easily almost 4x stronger than Yakon there.

What is the conversion rate of Power Level to Kili? We need to know how strong the Farmer With A Shotgun is.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

New Leaf posted:

What is the conversion rate of Power Level to Kili? We need to know how strong the Farmer With A Shotgun is.

Supposedly 50k = 1 kili

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
Yes, but how many scovilles is it?

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I want them to go back to the old scale just once. Just pop up and say it's canon that Gogeta Blue has a battle power of 17 septillion or whatever

E: forgot they actually did this for golden frieza lol

projecthalaxy fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Dec 10, 2021

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Kild posted:

Supposedly 50k = 1 kili

That'd put Yakkon at 40,000,000 and Goku at 150,000,000

...which tracks more or less with where Goku is put when he's SSJ on Namek.

Did fans come up with that conversion just to match that?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Burkion posted:

That'd put Yakkon at 40,000,000 and Goku at 150,000,000

...which tracks more or less with where Goku is put when he's SSJ on Namek.

Did fans come up with that conversion just to match that?

It was on Vjump 2004 according to the wiki.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Pureauthor posted:

I wonder how often when people talk about power levels they're actually complaining about the power scaling. Which in fairness has never made any sense at all.

I feel like that's it. Every time they announce how insanely strong Goku/Vegeta/whoever the new arc villain is (or has become) it only serves to remind the audience just how irrelevant everybody else is. Every time a new ridiculous number comes out, it just depresses anybody who wants to see Piccolo or Gohan or fuckin anybody do anything besides gawk at how strong Goku has become.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

they already fixed power levels

Toriyama said something like "oh yeah sure, God Goku at the start is a 6, Beerus is a 10, Whis is a 15" from there you can figure the ceiling is 20, the Grand Priest, and boom there you go everything is either 0-20 the end

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Give us an arc where everyone has their ki locked and have fight with just their bodies.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I remember being exceptionally salty that Goku, who was already going to finish the Moro Arc by beating the main villain, also showed up and beat up everyone's mini-bosses as well.

Like, man, the Dragon Team can't have poo poo in this house.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Give us an arc where everyone has their ki locked and have fight with just their bodies.

I think the FighterZ game does that in some regard, to justify how Kid Buu and Yamcha can be on equal levels.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

a big issue with that I think is like, ki supposedly isn't like mana or whatever, it's something you can train and work on like doing pushups. a kamehameha is the same thing as throwing an omoplata or a gazelle punch

how do you know what to lock off?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Well, early on, it was implied or outright stated to be lifeforce or stamina energy, so a giant Kamehameha drained the user.

In the first Budokai between Goku and Jackie Chun, they both end up so tired that they literally can't fire any more Kamehamehas.

That kind of went away after Freeza.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Well you have Majin Vegeta using up all his energy so he somehow turns to stone. SSJ3 also burning up Goku's 24hrs faster too.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Some Numbers posted:

Well, early on, it was implied or outright stated to be lifeforce or stamina energy, so a giant Kamehameha drained the user.

In the first Budokai between Goku and Jackie Chun, they both end up so tired that they literally can't fire any more Kamehamehas.

I kind of figured that was more something like throwing wild rear end haymakers tiring you out faster than throwing lil' jabs but upped to the extremes of being a laser beam

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Babe Magnet posted:

I kind of figured that was more something like throwing wild rear end haymakers tiring you out faster than throwing lil' jabs but upped to the extremes of being a laser beam

Yeah, they also do get tired after throwing full out ones as opposed to just random ones too. Goku was pretty much done after putting his all into one and blowing off the top half of Cells body, and so on. Goku was also done after Vegeta rolled off of his Kaioken one, and Vegeta just didn't realize it because he destroyed his scooter.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Some Numbers posted:

It's not even "early on". Vegeta against Toppo in the ToP ended with him doing a Final Explosion and just being completely gassed out afterwards.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back
I miss stuff like the last half of the Vegeta fight, where Goku is completely out of the fight but Vegeta's been softened up enough that even Yajirobe can do serious damage, and all the side characters and Vegeta are staggering around half-conscious desperately trying to beat the crap out of each other before they pass out themselves. No Goku summoning up some extra strength at the last minute and coming in to save the day, no super secret final forms, no shrugging stuff off with amazing power levels. Just Krillin and Gohan and Yajirobe coming to Goku's rescue and trying frantically to finish off an exhausted but still-dangerous Vegeta before he can catch his breath long enough to get a solid hit on them.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

It was peak Dragon Ball and we will never see anything like it ever again

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

The end of the ToP was similar

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Vizuyos posted:

I miss stuff like the last half of the Vegeta fight, where Goku is completely out of the fight but Vegeta's been softened up enough that even Yajirobe can do serious damage, and all the side characters and Vegeta are staggering around half-conscious desperately trying to beat the crap out of each other before they pass out themselves. No Goku summoning up some extra strength at the last minute and coming in to save the day, no super secret final forms, no shrugging stuff off with amazing power levels. Just Krillin and Gohan and Yajirobe coming to Goku's rescue and trying frantically to finish off an exhausted but still-dangerous Vegeta before he can catch his breath long enough to get a solid hit on them.

Yeah, that whole fight was great.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

dr.acula posted:

The end of the ToP was similar

Yeah, you mean like a Goku that couldn't even go SSJ, a half done Freeza and Android 17 of all people going against winded Jiren?

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Yeah that actually felt great to see, they didn’t do as good of a job showing Goku slowly losing gas during the tourney, but they sold the endgame

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
The visual of Goku trying and failing to go Super Saiyan was great, but it was such a blink-and- you'll-miss-it detail that it didn't have as much impact as it should have.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Something like that has never happened before so it was super cool to see that as an indicator of how spent he was, especially with the Namek callback

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Some Numbers posted:

The visual of Goku trying and failing to go Super Saiyan was great, but it was such a blink-and- you'll-miss-it detail that it didn't have as much impact as it should have.

you're right they should have interrupted it to cut to krillin and co in the rafters explaining whats going on

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Stairmaster posted:

you're right they should have interrupted it to cut to krillin and co in the rafters explaining whats going on

:lol:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Stairmaster posted:

I genuinely believe that there's more moments of this than there is fighting in the ToP.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Black August posted:

Yeah that actually felt great to see, they didn’t do as good of a job showing Goku slowly losing gas during the tourney, but they sold the endgame

U.I. was pretty much his Kaioken against Vegeta; last ditch move that overpowered him but didn't quite beat him before his body exploded. You just didn't have Jiren stomping on Goku while he was down afterwards to completely put him out. So due to that, he and Freeza became Gohan and Krillin and 17 was Yaijorobee.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Quick question, how exactly did the name 'Kid' Buu get so ensconced in the English speaking fandom for his final form? Its pretty random and I don't remember anything in the actual work itself hinting at this name.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

khwarezm posted:

Quick question, how exactly did the name 'Kid' Buu get so ensconced in the English speaking fandom for his final form? Its pretty random and I don't remember anything in the actual work itself hinting at this name.

Almost certainly action figures or video games.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Does the second Buu even actually get a name in the manga/anime for that matter? I just remember him being called “evil Buu” or something like that.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

khwarezm posted:

He looks like a kid OP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

khwarezm posted:

The funimation VHS/DVD covers have Kid Buu on them.