Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

FirstAidKite posted:

Pucci yelling about how it works is the concrete mechanics on how it works. He wasn't just pulling stuff out of his rear end.

I don't think Pucci ever says that him dying will bring back the souls of the people who died. The only thing he says that anyone who died before the universe reset are super extra dead, souls included. But now that Pucci no longer existed it's all speculation. As has been said, clearly his actions mattered and he did exist in the previous universes to cause these events to culminate in the new universe or whatever (which is one of the primary arguments people have been using to add significance to Jolyne's death) but I'm not sure why the idea of the original cast's souls existing in universe 3 holds. I'd just figure everyone who died, Pucci included, are dead and the similar but different world in universe 3 is your classic cascading butterfly effect world without Pucci which somehow causes everyone to have different names or something.

Two Tone Shoes fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Dec 9, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
I somehow forgot literally everything about Johngalli A

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

I enjoy how his name should be John Gallia but no, that's too easy. One way to avoid lawyers.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Two Tone Shoes posted:

I don't think Pucci ever says that him dying will bring back the souls of the people who died. The only thing he says that anyone who died before the universe reset are super extra dead, souls included. But now that Pucci no longer existed it's all speculation. As has been said, clearly his actions mattered and he did exist in the previous universes to cause these events to culminate in the new universe or whatever (which is one of the primary arguments people have been using to add significance to Jolyne's death) but I'm not sure why the idea of the original cast's souls existing in universe 3 holds. I'd just figure everyone who died, Pucci included, are dead and the similar but different world in universe 3 is your classic cascading butterfly effect world without Pucci which somehow causes everyone to have different names or something.

Pucci begs Emporio not to kill him because if he does, Pucci won't be able to control when to stop Made In Heaven and it will end up being an entirely different world instead of the statistical copy he was searching for. Emporio kills him anyway and Pucci's stand just stops at the next viable world instead of a statistical copy where everyone pucci wants dead is dead and no longer troubling him.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

FirstAidKite posted:

Pucci begs Emporio not to kill him because if he does, Pucci won't be able to control when to stop Made In Heaven and it will end up being an entirely different world instead of the statistical copy he was searching for. Emporio kills him anyway and Pucci's stand just stops at the next viable world instead of a statistical copy where everyone pucci wants dead is dead and no longer troubling him.

I get that, though my assumption based on Pucci's intense desire to kill Emporio, was that he'd get there immediately with the Jojo Gang all dead because once they're gone he has no opposition anyhow. It's why he slowed the time stop at a point where Emporio would be at and hunted him down since Jolyne died to make sure at least one person survived the acceleration. They were the only ones trying to stop him and Emporio was and, now is, the only real survivor of Pucci's actions. So we get different but similar doppelgangers besides Emporio.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Nope

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Strong response.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
FirstAidKite posts with the power of Gold Experience Requiem

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Brandfarlig posted:

Diavolos future sight is 10 seconds, right? If someone could stop time for longer than that he'd just cut to the last second or two of the timestop and get owned.

If you put Diavolo in a sufficiently large building that's on fire he couldn't skip getting burned either since he can't get out in 10 seconds.

If you look at it like a linear 1-------------10 and time stop happened at 5, it would only happen at that 5 and wouldn't continue on to 6 and so on. Diavolo would see himself alive at 5 and dead at 5 all of a sudden, so he'd erase 1-5, wander behind Jotaro and begin time at 6 and immediately attack.

It's one of the most broken powers to fight a single individual with but is messy for a group since you still need stealth to attack and not get ambushed from other angles when you pop back into time.

It's more fun to talk about this stuff than Shonen stuff since this is exactly what Araki sits around coming up with when he puts two Stand powers against each other.

But yeah, he tends to overpower the final villains making the conclusions not so fun in half of them or come up with heroes inventing random powers at the very end.

One of the good things about Kira is that he was kind of underpowered, which is why that issue didn't exist much there.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Asterite34 posted:

"Stand takes damage = User takes damage" trumps Vampire Immortality I guess. Dude got punched in the soul so hard it shattered, regeneration ain't gonna fix that.

Dio wasn't actually dead they had to expose his body to sunlight remember

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
also manhattan transfer, the band, sucks rear end!!

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Kira got lucky that his cat stand has a stomach hole made to fit a cat plant stand.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

FirstAidKite posts with the power of Gold Experience Requiem

he's copying my king crimson power

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Two Tone Shoes posted:

I don't think Pucci ever says that him dying will bring back the souls of the people who died. The only thing he says that anyone who died before the universe reset are super extra dead, souls included. But now that Pucci no longer existed it's all speculation.

You are forgetting something though. While still in Pucci's world, Emporio meets "Jolyne" , but it's a clear fake. Emporio instantly see's this and says it's not her, then Pucci confirms it and tells him that she's gone. This is different than his reunion with Irene. This time he recognizes her in a way he did not with Pucci-Jolyne and is brought to tears. You can argue whether she's a direct reincarnation or if she's a distinct entity that is just a vessel for the emotions and will of the old Jolyne or whatever, but Irene is connected to Jolyne in ways that Fake Jolyne was not. The last chapter makes that clear.

So some (if not all) of Pucci's machinations was undone with his death. It fits as well with the theme of him being truly beaten by fate as fate gets to more or less restore the proper order of things in the end. All of Pucci's effort was for nothing and his will (and by extension Dio's) does not carry on.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Fauxlyne

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Darko posted:

One of the good things about Kira is that he was kind of underpowered, which is why that issue didn't exist much there.

It's also why all the Pucci fights except Made in Heaven are great. His first 2 stands aren't that overpowered so Jolyne beats him by just fighting smarter and better.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Darko posted:

But yeah, he tends to overpower the final villains making the conclusions not so fun in half of them or come up with heroes inventing random powers at the very end.

On that note, probably THE most unsatisfying thing about Part 8 in my eyes is how Soft & Wet goes from an incredibly creative Stand that steals qualities of things it can successfully contact with slow-moving bubbles, to a Stand that's just standard bullet blasting.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Kira was underpowered?? counting his dad, dude had FIVE Stands.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

his stands also required some specific conditions comparatively

also they weren't 'literally rewrite the entire universe to your will' or 'anyone who even thinks about pursuing you dies'

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

killer queen being much physically weaker than crazy diamond added a pretty interesting dynamic to the fight

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Aurora posted:

also they weren't 'literally rewrite the entire universe to your will' or 'anyone who even thinks about pursuing you dies'

He kinda had the latter one, but it needed him to put the work into it.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

SKULL.GIF posted:

On that note, probably THE most unsatisfying thing about Part 8 in my eyes is how Soft & Wet goes from an incredibly creative Stand that steals qualities of things it can successfully contact with slow-moving bubbles, to a Stand that's just standard bullet blasting.

That was inevitable when Araki gave it exploding bubbles

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Schwarzwald posted:

He kinda had the latter one, but it needed him to put the work into it.

yes, that is what i said. congratulations

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I wanna know why those that cheap trick kills turn into tiny little dolls

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Nephthys posted:

It's also why all the Pucci fights except Made in Heaven are great. His first 2 stands aren't that overpowered so Jolyne beats him by just fighting smarter and better.

Honestly, even with Made in Heaven, he was scared to attack them directly until he killed Anasui through a carefully executed indirect attack.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Honestly, even with Made in Heaven, he was scared to attack them directly until he killed Anasui through a carefully executed indirect attack.

yeah because he knew star platinum would loving kill him if he got close

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I forget, Stairway to Heaven doesn't have any other combat applications beyond "time go fast" right? Like it never throws a punch or kick and just kind of hangs out while Pucci has to do all the killing himself.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

JuniperCake posted:

You are forgetting something though. While still in Pucci's world, Emporio meets "Jolyne" , but it's a clear fake. Emporio instantly see's this and says it's not her, then Pucci confirms it and tells him that she's gone. This is different than his reunion with Irene. This time he recognizes her in a way he did not with Pucci-Jolyne and is brought to tears. You can argue whether she's a direct reincarnation or if she's a distinct entity that is just a vessel for the emotions and will of the old Jolyne or whatever, but Irene is connected to Jolyne in ways that Fake Jolyne was not. The last chapter makes that clear.

So some (if not all) of Pucci's machinations was undone with his death. It fits as well with the theme of him being truly beaten by fate as fate gets to more or less restore the proper order of things in the end. All of Pucci's effort was for nothing and his will (and by extension Dio's) does not carry on.

I thought that deadness of the eyes was due to everyone knowing their fates already and being subservient to Fate, which was Pucci's goal. Jotaro and Jolyne without their ambition or free will, more or less, because Pucci still exists.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Funky Valentine posted:

I forget, Stairway to Heaven doesn't have any other combat applications beyond "time go fast" right? Like it never throws a punch or kick and just kind of hangs out while Pucci has to do all the killing himself.

It grabs Stone Free's hand when Pucci has Jolyne stab Anasui, but that's the extent of it.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Fereydun posted:

like if he sees himself with a hole in his stomach where dio or jotaro just teleport in range and then he's instantly dead with no perception of how that happened how does he escape that situation

or if they're already in attack range and there's no attack to see to reposition around

By skipping past it because he can't be harmed in the skipped time. Jotaro or DIO would do what they would have done, but because Diavolo skipped past it he would not get hit. If his opponent is not in close range he just has to observe the situation.

Epitaph's precognition is what gives him such a massive advantage in all scenarios, because it's near impossible to catch him off-guard.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

FirstAidKite posted:

I wanna know why those that cheap trick kills turn into tiny little dolls

He sucks out all of his current host life energy before moving to the new one.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

SKULL.GIF posted:

Soft and Wet would be super overpowered if he used it creatively enough since there's no real limit on what property can be taken away from something. Seems like Araki's solution was to just have him stop doing that.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Darko posted:

Seems like Araki's solution was to just have him stop doing that.

Add it to the list.

Also, is it just me or is Soft and Wet one of the worst stand names ? I haven't read part 8 so it probably fits pretty well but it sounds about as powerful/cool as a dishrag.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Brandfarlig posted:

Add it to the list.

Also, is it just me or is Soft and Wet one of the worst stand names ? I haven't read part 8 so it probably fits pretty well but it sounds about as powerful/cool as a dishrag.

It sounds a lot better when you shout it out loud like an actual JoJo character.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Shh..... Soft and Wet...

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Skull Servant posted:

Shh..... Soft and Wet...

I still think this is one of the best Stand reveals in the entire series.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Just wait until it’s localized to Soft and Moist

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Malleable and Damp

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Jojolion has the properties of both soft and wet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Soft and wet is a horny song, it's perfect for part 8