Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Rarity posted:

I think he's mentioned as the leader of the Whitecloak force at Tar Valon around book 3/4?

Yes, he’s the one who gives Galad a copy of the Whitecloak bible. He shows up in person in book six, where his whole deal is being outwardly the pinnacle of Whitecloakness but secretly he’s a treacherous little poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Dingleberry2 posted:

Has Elaida been cast? Just wondering if they're combining her with Liandrin, which would make sense in a show adaptation I think.

The only member of the Camelyn Court we know has been cast is Ceara Coveney as Elayne. Could be we just haven't heard about it yet, though.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Johnny Joestar posted:

tam al'thor is real and i hear that he's shredded. that he has a six-pack

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I feel like if you were gonna merge Liandrin and Elaida you'd stick with Elaida as the name as she's the more important character

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

ad090 posted:

As I understand it, there are no more Mat scenes this season, they almost certainly have some of him in Fal Dara and the Blight, but I'm assuming they did reshoots, or got really creative with editing, probably both.

Yeah this would have to be the first episode of next season. Fain is on the road to Fal Dara without the ways, Mat follows, sees some poo poo, manages to get the guards to capture Fain but whoops he takes the dagger and now Fain is in a cell being spooky.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

So are we getting new mat this season? Or do we have to wait till next year?

Goreld
May 8, 2002

"Identity Crisis" MurdererWild Guess Bizarro #1Bizarro"Me am first one I suspect!"

Sab669 posted:

I feel like the whole Oath Rod thing was just for non-readers to show they're magically bound to the oaths they take.

That’s my take too - I don’t think anyone actually touches an oath rod in the books until like, book 10 or so? Apart from Sammael screwing around with one when he’s trolling the Shaido. There’s only talk about it and almost all internal monologue.

As for the waygate, I think the only issue I have with it is that it takes away the opening from Loial. Visually I think it makes sense to change since it’s more or less the Gates of Moria with a Stargate inside - not exactly something new visually. Or the time lag effect was just too expensive so they went for a space-folding effect instead.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It would have been way more Moria-like with a carving of a tree on it.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

Does anyone know if they published, like, a translation for all those songs on the soundtrack? They’re apparently all in the old tongue, and catching like 1 word in 50 is messing with my brain.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

FWIW I don't think pointing out how the show differs from the books is being negative about the show per say. I note the differences because I think they're interesting. ​

Goreld posted:

As for the waygate, I think the only issue I have with it is that it takes away the opening from Loial. Visually I think it makes sense to change since it’s more or less the Gates of Moria with a Stargate inside - not exactly something new visually. Or the time lag effect was just too expensive so they went for a space-folding effect instead.

I think the way they changed the opening of the waygates mostly still works. After this Rand along with Verin tries to open them twice and Machin Shin is there. Then Liandrin brings the girls to Toman head.

The next time they're a thing is when Perrin goes back to the Two Rivers. So he needs to bring a lady who channel with him. Alanna and Verin are there when he arrives so maybe they go with him this time. And it cuts out a Faile being absolutely toxic beat.

They only really come up again when Loial travels around the world locking them from outside. This was mostly him getting written out for a few books. If they don't want to do that for the show they just don't have to. But if being hunted by Erith and his Mom is still a thing he's going to have to buy some disguises.

Nion
Jun 8, 2008

CainsDescendant posted:

Was Valda a darkfriend in the books? I don't recall that, but then I also don't recall much of him at all. Must have been skimming those chapters. Carridin was, of course

Book Valda wasn't a darkfriend, but show Valda is at least as much Carridin as he is Valda, so he may or may not be a darkfriend.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Them introducing Valda in the series and making him a anatagonist for Perrin is better than whatisname that Perrin kills his dad or whatever at Falme and is all pissed about it. Makes a better show to have Valda be Perrin's antagonist.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Rarity posted:

I feel like if you were gonna merge Liandrin and Elaida you'd stick with Elaida as the name as she's the more important character

I think people would be more upset if they make Elaida a darkfriend -- everyone seems really happy with what they've done with Liandrin in terms of "softening" her character but no one is ever like that when they make ambiguous characters outright evil.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Liandrin get's loving owned hard by Moghedian and then by the Seanchan

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Nion posted:

Book Valda wasn't a darkfriend, but show Valda is at least as much Carridin as he is Valda, so he may or may not be a darkfriend.

You need villains who aren't darkfriends. It weakens the series so much if every bad thing is just a scheme of magic Satan's.

buffalo all day posted:

I think people would be more upset if they make Elaida a darkfriend -- everyone seems really happy with what they've done with Liandrin in terms of "softening" her character but no one is ever like that when they make ambiguous characters outright evil.

A possibility I saw Maidens of the Spear bring up is that they might be merging Liandrin and Alviarin, and Elaida is going to enter as her own self at some point in season 2. Which I think would work better than a Liandrin/Elaida merge, though I dunno if I like the idea of them concentrating every bad Aes Sedai in the reds. That's a little flattening too.

Hollismason posted:

Them introducing Valda in the series and making him a anatagonist for Perrin is better than whatisname that Perrin kills his dad or whatever at Falme and is all pissed about it. Makes a better show to have Valda be Perrin's antagonist.

On the one hand yes, on the other hand they did cast Bornhald the elder, and I am wondering they would bother if Valda's getting all his material. Is there anything left for him to do, then?

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Hollismason posted:

Well I finished Path of Daggers Book 8. My thoughts in no particular order.

It was kind of meandering book, not a whole heck of a lot happened that really drove the story forward.

yeah, iirc after that book i stopped reading the series originally. i only finished it when they were all out

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

A possibility I saw Maidens of the Spear bring up is that they might be merging Liandrin and Alviarin, and Elaida is going to enter as her own self at some point in season 2. Which I think would work better than a Liandrin/Elaida merge, though I dunno if I like the idea of them concentrating every bad Aes Sedai in the reds. That's a little flattening too.

if elaida has been cast already, then it would make sense to combine liandrin and alviarin

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I was pretty disappointed at Path of Daggers not having any Mat centered chapters whatsoever. His fate is left on a huge cliffhanger for the whole book. It must have been really annoying to read when these were coming out because its like 4 years between books.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

buffalo all day posted:

I would assume a combined Liandrin/Elaida would drop the Darkfriend bit because

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

You need villains who aren't darkfriends. It weakens the series so much if every bad thing is just a scheme of magic Satan's.

Elaida being 'good' but misguided is essential to the whole Tower coup

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I hope they include Elaida because she's motivated by what she thinks is right and that she's doing the right thing, which is more interesting than selling ones soul to the dark one and then doing evil.

Elaida's a more interesting character than Liandrin.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Yeah Elaida's failings are so much more interesting if she's genuinely blinded by arrogance and pride than if it's all just a ruse cause tehehe she's evil

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Rarity posted:

Yeah Elaida's failings are so much more interesting if she's genuinely blinded by arrogance and pride than if it's all just a ruse cause tehehe she's evil

wasn't there also some of her foretellings involved

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

elaida was able to do foretelling but her thing was she wildly misinterpreted what they meant and spun it to be in her favor no matter what

also combining liandrin and alviarin would work well

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Hollismason posted:

I don't recall Perrin killing his dad. Perrin was at the location that he died at, and Byar or whatever saw it and went back to report to the Younger that Perrin Goldeneyes Killed Your Dad.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Just hit me, "flame" of Tar Valon

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug
Show's very good.

It seems like Tower intrigue is the main thing they're nailing right now so I'm looking forward to how much they expand the scope of things there before the coup.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

CainFortea posted:

I don't recall Perrin killing his dad. Perrin was at the location that he died at, and Byar or whatever saw it and went back to report to the Younger that Perrin Goldeneyes Killed Your Dad.

I don’t think Byar even saw Perrin near the battle. He just saw Perrin in the area sometime before the battle happened, therefore Perrin was responsible and killed all the white cloaks.

Byar really really really hates Perrin

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

Johnny Joestar posted:

elaida was able to do foretelling but her thing was she wildly misinterpreted what they meant and spun it to be in her favor no matter what

also combining liandrin and alviarin would work well

She has three we are specifically told
The first is why she attaches herself to Andor "the Royal line of Andor would be the key to defeating the Dark One in the Last Battle"

The second is when she meets Rand "This I Foretell, and swear under the Light that I can say no clearer. From this day Andor marches toward pain and division. The Shadow has yet to darken to its blackest, and I cannot see if the Light will come after. Where the world has wept one tear, it will weep thousands. This I Foretell" and then under her breath so only she and Rand can hear "This, too, I Foretell. Pain and division come to the whole world, and this man stands at the heart of it. I obey the Queen, and speak it clearly"

And the last when she is in the Tower and Amyrlin "The White Tower will be whole again, except for remnants cast out and scorned, whole and stronger than ever. Rand al'Thor will face the Amyrlin Seat and know her anger. The Black Tower will be rent in blood and fire, and sisters will walk its grounds. This I Foretell"

Each one is actually fairly straight forward and completely worthless in the way Elaida uses and interprets them.

MadHat fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Dec 10, 2021

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

MadHat posted:

She has three we are specifically told
The first is why she attaches herself to Andor "the Royal line of Andor would be the key to defeating the Dark One in the Last Battle"

The second is when she meets Rand "This I Foretell, and swear under the Light that I can say no clearer. From this day Andor marches toward pain and division. The Shadow has yet to darken to its blackest, and I cannot see if the Light will come after. Where the world has wept one tear, it will weep thousands. This I Foretell" and then under her breath so only she and Rand can hear "This, too, I Foretell. Pain and division come to the whole world, and this man stands at the heart of it. I obey the Queen, and speak it clearly"

And the last when she is in the Tower and Amyrlin "The White Tower will be whole again, except for remnants cast out and scorned, whole and stronger than ever. Rand al'Thor will face the Amyrlin Seat and know her anger. The Black Tower will be rent in blood and fire, and sisters will walk its grounds. This I Foretell"

Each one is actually fairly straight forward and completely worthless in the way Elaida uses and interprets them.

*elaida voice* everything is coming up elaida!

*gets deposed and then carried off by seanchan*

CuriousSymptoms
Jul 18, 2004

Those Goddamn Rainbows Are At It Again

I really enjoyed episode 6. A lot of fun-but unnecessary-for-TV stuff has been trimmed, and I'm fine with that - it's a different medium. I loved the politics of the Tower, something for book readers and non-readers alike there. And I absolutely adored Siuan and Moiraine, that whole intimate scene felt lived in and real.

I'm with other posters in that I am a little bit sad about the Waygates being changed so drastically - where is the tiny fluttering leaf?? - but fine, whatever, the show has earned some trust so I'll go with it. The weave Moraine used to open the gate looked a little like a trefoil leaf, which might have been a nod to the loss. Likewise the minor plot confusion over who's opening gates to let all the trollocs through is a bit waahhh, but frankly that's only confusing if you have read the books - there's nothing in the show so far to have addressed that. Aside from anything it's genuinely magical to see these things that have lived in my head rent-free all these years actually appearing on screen so beautifully.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
https://twitter.com/ServantofDagon/status/1469391284129476612?s=20

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Democratic Pirate posted:

Between the dagger and the reluctant hero thing, maybe Mat will end up following Fain to Fal Dara to save his friends and find out some hosed up poo poo Fain is up to along the way.

I'm imagining Fain forcing Mat to come with him or something so the two of them can have a chat

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

So far, there are only two things I've noticed that are either important or added a lot of world building that have been skipped entirely. The first is the whole bit in the Stedding with Egwene and Perrin (and Elyas) where we get a big infodump about Artur Hawkwing, the thinning of the world, and how steddings work. I can see why they skipped it and can make up for everything later. But, man, there could have been some great visuals.

The other is the glimpse of the Tower of Ghenjei when Mat, Rand, and Thom were on the riverboat. Again, I can see why they skipped it for the show. But, Mat is going to need to know about that later.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Moiraine is very extra

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Also there are some leaked gifs floating around.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Pretty sure the "Father of Lies" is trying to lure the Dragon Reborn to the Eye to kill him before he can fulfill the prophecies. Just my headcanon since they've showed Ishy enough, in dreams and through specifically naming him, and as the Father of Lies twice.

Siuan taken advantage of easily.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Barreft posted:

Pretty sure the "Father of Lies" is trying to lure the Dragon Reborn to the Eye to kill him before he can fulfill the prophecies. Just my headcanon since they've showed Ishy enough, in dreams and through specifically naming him, and as the Father of Lies twice.

Siuan taken advantage of easily.

yeah, though change kill to "corrupt" imo

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

SerSpook posted:

yeah, though change kill to "corrupt" imo

Oh yeah. I was just thinking of the first 3 books where they try and kill him, which really never made sense to me

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Gonna hoot and hollar when they do a stunt casting and get Peter Dinklage to play Sammael.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

CainFortea posted:

Also there are some leaked gifs floating around.

oh drat i looked at reddit and some of those leaks are full on the climax of the battle at the Eye/Tarwin's Gap drat