Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Joementum posted:

I'm increasingly pessimistic that we can get out of this without the chuds winning and 3,000+ people dying every day forever.

deal from strength or get ventilated every time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

FizFashizzle posted:

gf has been working at the testing site. Just tons of positive cases, tons of kids positive because they all have to get tested if they're exposed at school

and then you nursing homes loading up as many residents into the activity bus as possible, testing them all, and then it turning out the last person in the back of the bus is positive and has just been infecting people the whole time lmao

glad the government isn't sending them test kits for free !!!

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo

Koirhor posted:

gonna start growing my own opium poppies I guess make some tea relax

I grow these, you know, bc they're pretty

https://www.rareseeds.com/store/vegetables/early-spring-favorites/poppy-hungarian-blue-breadseed

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

dew worm posted:

Santacon is tomorrow in Manhattan. I’m sure the revelers all have legit vaccine cards.

Also Cincinnati

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Goobish posted:

Another surreal day in mental health.

This morning an elderly woman I've been seeing for years... her husband died during the beginning of the pandemic. She said that she would normally go to the hospital right now for the pain she's had in her head. She said her husband would have forced her to go in. But she told me and her home nurse, she didn't want to go because of how over crowded and dangerous the local hospital is right now. The home nurse then went into a horror story about her recent trip to the ER, and how even though she was negative for covid, she had been stuck in a "waiting room" with people who were covid positive due to the overcrowding. This is hosed up on many levels ok. And instead of forcing this elderly woman to go to the hospital... the nurse and I just agreed that it should be her loving choice to stay home right now because the hospital could be much more dangerous for her overall. (Stage 4 COPD among other things). This is so hosed up. Then my afternoon appointments consisted of someone who has been to 5 funerals over the summer and just learned of another friend dying over the weekend of covid. Another person found their uncle dead in his apartment due to covid and I'd imagine no help at the hospital. The eviction law whatever the gently caress it was called ended. And my last appointment was a trans guy who is about to be evicted in a county where the homeless shelters are completely full.

I'm trying my goddamn best to help people and its just pure insanity. Taking 16 days off soon and already pretty buzzed tonight lol. Thank you for letting me anonymously vent here guys.

jaysus :gonk:

seriously, without irony, :d2a:

CaptainACAB
Sep 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of Langley

Dustcat posted:

what's his username

Lowtax

mystes
May 31, 2006

Goobish posted:

This morning an elderly woman I've been seeing for years... her husband died during the beginning of the pandemic. She said that she would normally go to the hospital right now for the pain she's had in her head. She said her husband would have forced her to go in. But she told me and her home nurse, she didn't want to go because of how over crowded and dangerous the local hospital is right now. The home nurse then went into a horror story about her recent trip to the ER, and how even though she was negative for covid, she had been stuck in a "waiting room" with people who were covid positive due to the overcrowding. This is hosed up on many levels ok. And instead of forcing this elderly woman to go to the hospital... the nurse and I just agreed that it should be her loving choice to stay home right now because the hospital could be much more dangerous for her overall. (Stage 4 COPD among other things). This is so hosed up. Then my afternoon appointments consisted of someone who has been to 5 funerals over the summer and just learned of another friend dying over the weekend of covid. Another person found their uncle dead in his apartment due to covid and I'd imagine no help at the hospital. The eviction law whatever the gently caress it was called ended. And my last appointment was a trans guy who is about to be evicted in a county where the homeless shelters are completely full.

I'm trying my goddamn best to help people and its just pure insanity. Taking 16 days off soon and already pretty buzzed tonight lol. Thank you for letting me anonymously vent here guys.
Yikes, wow.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Korean Boomhauer posted:

i really miss the pizza washing av

:same: I saw it so many times before I realized what it was

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

HiroProtagonist posted:

hang in there buddy, there's a lot to be upset about but we know who the enemy is here

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Lol the whole waiting room is just confirmed covid patients.

Just loving losing it thinking about how they put up all those tents in the parking lot last spring for having a separate covid containment camp and now that it actually happened who loving cares everyone that comes to the ED gets free covid.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Asproigerosis posted:

Just loving losing it thinking about how they put up all those tents in the parking lot last spring for having a separate covid containment camp and now that it actually happened who loving cares everyone that comes to the ED gets free covid.

it's like a lovely marvel movie, you know there's going to bigger budget sequel with more extra dying

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
My plan to find a way to mass produce those corsi filters has hit a snag. When I mentioned it at the site I was at today I was told that in this district they were all given air filters. It's just that almost no one bothers to turn them on. What the gently caress

mystes
May 31, 2006

Asproigerosis posted:

At this point I wonder if we would even do anything differently if there was an ebola outbreak in the us. I mean I would hope so but I'm honestly not sure anymore.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

the racism would be different

Asproigerosis posted:

those tents were prolly for overflow, not an feigned attempt at quarantine

Real hurthling! fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Dec 11, 2021

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Goobish posted:

feel free to vent anytime after your time off too :glomp:

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016
My "vacation" is a euphemism for war tourism in Ukraine for some "bloody work" to escape my boring techie job and family.

Ask me about my warcrimes.
gently caress it I'm smoking a cigar and going to brunch

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Melbourne is removing mandatory masks at retail on the 15th lmao. I work in online retail but the click and collect desk shares the same air as my desk with no separation. :rubby:

Omicron cases are skyrocketing in Sydney and we just got our first cluster.

im da joker now baybeee

why are we just leaning in to this as hard as we can?

i know people - work, family, friends - who are non-doompilled but who have been appropriately cautious and responsible through this whole thing

and now, with record cases, omicron simmering, and the three most social weeks of the year coming up, the same people are taking their cues from politics and the media and just fully going for it. with an apologetic shrug, at best.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
90 minutes post shot on the kiddo. was really brave right up till the last 10 seconds before the plunge, but im still so proud. Got his favorite dinner and us talking my ear off.

happy dad right now, don’t care if its not as great against omicron, still better than loving nothing.

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016
My "vacation" is a euphemism for war tourism in Ukraine for some "bloody work" to escape my boring techie job and family.

Ask me about my warcrimes.
also I have rear end cancer hurray!

Brogeoisie
Jan 12, 2005

"Look, I'm a private citizen," he said. "One thing that I don't have to do is sit here and open my kimono as it relates to how much money I make or didn't."

SpaceCadetBob posted:

90 minutes post shot on the kiddo. was really brave right up till the last 10 seconds before the plunge, but im still so proud. Got his favorite dinner and us talking my ear off.

happy dad right now, don’t care if its not as great against omicron, still better than loving nothing.

Nice work dad, all worth it.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

SpaceCadetBob posted:

yeah you should be. look maybe vax isn't good against omicron who cares tho because its what we have, so its just good practice.

get vaxxed and boosted and dont get complacent because this political economy wants to kill us. you're just being a good parent.

Wang Commander
Dec 27, 2003

by sebmojo

MysteriousStranger posted:

sorry about your rear end

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Hm yes need to wait for the science before we make any pronouncements

:rubby:

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

every bit of research coming out about england gets a bit worse each time

https://twitter.com/AlastairGrant4/status/1469451643167121416

Goobish
May 31, 2011

For what it's worth, I'm honest to God scared to look at the numbers, but I'm in one of the worst hit counties of Michigan.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

FizFashizzle posted:

and then you nursing homes loading up as many residents into the activity bus as possible, testing them all, and then it turning out the last person in the back of the bus is positive and has just been infecting people the whole time lmao

We are an impossibly stupid species on the whole. Goddamn.

mystes posted:

It's hosed up that there has never been even the slightest concern about transmission at testing sites in the us when this was basically the first issue that China and south Korea immediately addressed at the beginning of the pandemic.

But addressing that means going outside the normal us medical system and we can't handle that.

We don't even mask at the vaccination sites. :lmao:

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

MysteriousStranger posted:

That super sucks, my friend. Hope there's room to treat you at the hospital.

Hey, what if we built separate covid hospitals? For the covid patients? who keep crashing into our health infrastructure and preventing everyone currently covid negative from getting care? and paid people to go to med school? and paid off all med school loans? that would be something, huh. lol.

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

https://twitter.com/AlastairGrant4/status/1469451643167121416

lmaaaaaaaaaaaoooooooooo im gonna go play roblox with my kid

Goobish
May 31, 2011

Numbers and fancy graphs don't even matter to me anymore when poo poo is obviously unsustainable. Plus I have covid brain now so I can't read them anyway.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

McNugget Buddy posted:

https://twitter.com/Alexander_Tin/status/1469323612054245391

https://twitter.com/Alexander_Tin/status/1469323616252829697

"Should we just tell them they have to isolate for longer"

"No, we'll rules lawyer an extra day that they'll never hear about"

:abuela:

CDC is acting like they’re a videogame company that has to split things over as many tiny updates as possible.

How times did they update booster guidance? They did it just now by saying that sixteen and seventeen-year-olds “may” get boosters.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Lousy Smarch weather...

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Platystemon posted:

CDC is acting like they’re a videogame company that has to split things over as many tiny updates as possible.

Need a CDC :dice: equivalent.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

And also there's a coronavirus :hmmyes:

Mr. Barnesworth
Jun 28, 2008

I said GOOD DAY, sir!
boostin' boostin' boostin'
keep those titers boosted, covid!

Elea
Oct 10, 2012

mystes posted:

It's hosed up that there has never been even the slightest concern about transmission at testing sites in the us when this was basically the first issue that China and south Korea immediately addressed at the beginning of the pandemic.

But addressing that means going outside the normal us medical system and we can't handle that.

What did you expect? For them to hire people who know about this *waves the air around* Do those people even exist? Then what, go around and improve ventilation starting at medical facilities like you seem to suggest. Now you got a little army of people, air inspectors if you will, improving shops and schools? I guess you expect the government to pay for that and subsidize the improvements too. Incorporate what we learn into building codes? Help other diseases too?

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

stone soup posted:

Eddie Poe posted:

And now was acknowledged the presence of the Red Death. He had come like a thief in the night.
And one by one dropped the revellers in the blood-bedewed halls of their revel, and died each in the
despairing posture of his fall. And the life of the ebony clock went out with that of the last of the gay.
And the flames of the tripods expired. And Darkness and Decay and the Red Death held illimitable
dominion over all.
the early hits still slap

So true.

Lou Reed posted:

And it's not like we could help
But there was nothing no one could do
And if there was, man, you know I would have been the first
Oh when someone turns that blue
Well, it's a universal truth
Then you just know that bitch will never gently caress again

I've had this running through my head for weeks. Just millions of people lining up to overdose horribly on their own hubris.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

This testing facility is in a fairground and they come to the car so at least it's got that going for it.

But like it'd be trivial for a nursing home to just hire someone with a car and pay them 100 bucks a day to shuttle residents.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

McNugget Buddy posted:

Missed this from a few days ago - Pfizer's variant specific vaccines were better than their Wild Type vaccine at neutralizing Omicron:

https://twitter.com/whippletom/status/1468584962622468107

So maybe we'll get an Alpha or Delta booster instead of Omicron?

I want to see that pending result.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

FizFashizzle posted:

This testing facility is in a fairground and they come to the car so at least it's got that going for it.

But like it'd be trivial for a nursing home to just hire someone with a car and pay them 100 bucks a day to shuttle residents.

Presumably the nursing home, which dispenses medication to the people living there every day, could also just collect nasal swabs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

HiroProtagonist posted:

I don't even understand this other poster's point. what was anyone supposed to do, just take their kids out of school? lol if so

orb gazing straight at my nuts to figure out the strategy for december 2022

i took my kids out of school yeah.