Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rko
Jul 12, 2017

Brandfarlig posted:

I haven't read part 8 so it probably fits pretty well but it sounds about as powerful/cool as a dishrag.

you can read it for free on the internet in the language we’re communicating in now, so it turns out it’s very easy to develop a more informed opinion regarding the cool stand you’re wrong about.

That said, it’s also the most loosey-goosey stand since Gold Experience, which fits with another inconsistent part that Araki practically dunked into final publication to move on to something better. Here’s hoping Part 9/Jojolands is a brilliant follow-up swan song and capstone to the monthly series that Stone Ocean was for the weekly series.

Talking to some folks on Discord about this, Stone Ocean really does feel like a great distillation of everything that made JUMP’s Jojo so good. Incredible puzzle fights where you play high-speed bullshit chess against improbably cool figures, matched with a very dynamic plot structure that keeps characters on the move and fighting against overwhelming, popular-character-killing odds. It’s a shounen masterpiece from someone who was ready to move on, but knew he wanted to wrap things up in style.

Araki seems to have, uh, gotten in over his spurs after Part 7, where all that creative freedom spread out across the full length of the continental United States let his weird storytelling instincts flourish. Part 8 just kind of falls in on itself, and I can’t help but feel like it’s most like Part 5, in that Araki gives up on ideas and plot hooks in a really visible way in order to just get to the ending.

But like Part 5, it’s still a cool Jojo part worth reading, which you should do to find out that Soft And Wet is actually a badass stand name from the Jojo with more balls than anyone in the series so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice
People should read part 5 because it has train fight. Part 8 and part 5 are similar because they have weird/bad endings but the fights are very very good, generally

Funky Valentine posted:

Jojolion has the properties of both soft and wet.

In that it seems really cool at first but is very disappointing by the end? :v:

Bungee Gum stand when

Xad fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Dec 10, 2021

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Electric Phantasm posted:

It sounds a lot better when you shout it out loud like an actual JoJo character.

That goes for basically any phrase. Put enough emphasis behind it and you can get away with anything.

rko posted:

you can read it for free on the internet in the language we’re communicating in now, so it turns out it’s very easy to develop a more informed opinion regarding the cool stand you’re wrong about.

I don't need to read the part to have an opinion on a name. All I'm talking about is the name itself.

Brandfarlig fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Dec 10, 2021

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

MonsterEnvy posted:

By skipping past it because he can't be harmed in the skipped time. Jotaro or DIO would do what they would have done, but because Diavolo skipped past it he would not get hit. If his opponent is not in close range he just has to observe the situation.

Epitaph's precognition is what gives him such a massive advantage in all scenarios, because it's near impossible to catch him off-guard.

your and darko's post made it click like "oh yeah duh, that makes perfect sense, they're hosed lol"

but also polnareff almost killed diavolo despite being in a wheelchair and diavolo kept getting surprised despite epitaph (how does it fuckin work???) but that's actual Power Levels Bro poo poo instead of the fun 'the stand power logic' stuff

also someone pointing out that the pt6 anime is moving at like double speed of the other parts in terms of episode:chapter coverage (6-ish ch per episode instead of 2-3) really surprised me. i knew the intro dragged, but i didn't realize it was moving that fast

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Fereydun posted:

also someone pointing out that the pt6 anime is moving at like double speed of the other parts in terms of episode:chapter coverage (6-ish ch per episode instead of 2-3) really surprised me. i knew the intro dragged, but i didn't realize it was moving that fast

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Brandfarlig posted:

Add it to the list.

Also, is it just me or is Soft and Wet one of the worst stand names ? I haven't read part 8 so it probably fits pretty well but it sounds about as powerful/cool as a dishrag.

Soft and Wet is one of the best stand names.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

STONE COLD 64 posted:

have we ruled out the possibility that Head Doctor is a stand that also has its own stand?

i dont know how i called it

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Brandfarlig posted:

Add it to the list.

Also, is it just me or is Soft and Wet one of the worst stand names ? I haven't read part 8 so it probably fits pretty well but it sounds about as powerful/cool as a dishrag.

Nah, nothing named after a Prince song is bad. Plus it's pretty much his first single and makes me think of the song every time he says it, so its cool.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

The stand that always gets a song stuck in my head is Wonder of U. Just because it's probably Elvis' best ballad.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Darko posted:

Nah, nothing named after a Prince song is bad. Plus it's pretty much his first single and makes me think of the song every time he says it, so its cool.

Nothing against Prince but as a stand name it doesn't sound the least bit imposing.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

STONE COLD 64 posted:

i dont know how i called it

But did you call that its “stand” was just some bugs it was carrying around

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Brandfarlig posted:

Nothing against Prince but as a stand name it doesn't sound the least bit imposing.

Stands are more about song synchronization, IMO. Stand comes out, a sassy song plays in my head.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
I couldn't be bothered to keep up with JoJolion and fell off sometime during the Poor Tom fight (that was four years ago?? oh my) but I heard it had finished finally so I went back in and read the 10 or so volumes I had missed in basically one day. Feels like that was a pretty good place to pick it up actually, I got the whole final stretch at the hospital in a convenient package. I'm sure I would've been annoyed by how drawn-out especially the Wonder of U battle got if I had to read it piecemeal month by month, but reading it all at once it was alright. Soft & Wet Go Beyond wasn't very satisfying though - I fully expect someone to pull a new power out of thin air in a JoJo finale, but usually there's at least some kind of logic to how it builds on their existing powers and why it's effective against their enemy's specific power, and this barely had either (yeah I guess Go Beyond's whole point is that it operates outside logic but whatever).

In any case I'm looking forward to getting into JoJolands right from the start and then forgetting it two years in and then reading the rest in one go in 2032.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Fereydun posted:

That's interesting, I've actually really enjoyed the pacing of the anime so far compared to the manga. There's a high density of good jokes and it's easier to roll with the utterly bizarre fights when they aren't dragging on.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Fereydun posted:

That's because they cut like a chapter or so of Jolyne getting processed at GD St. and having to bribe people to keep her street clothes and hair.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
What's the best way to buy physical JoJo manga in English ? I have been having a hard time reading manga on a screen lately and want to buy some box sets. I see a lot of hardcover sets or Japanese sets, or really expensive sets on ebay. Is ebay the best option?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The hardcover sets are the most recent physical release.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
They’re also really nice

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I'm sold, is there a better place to buy than amazon though? I have to go to barnes and nobel today so maybe they'll have them I guess

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

They will, at best, have a random smattering. Also, there's like 27 volumes out at least.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Q: What if Kakyoin survived and was in part 6?

A:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
It's kind of funny that the Crusaders with the most versatile Stands are the ones that died in Part 3, while the ones that are more one-trick ponies lived to eat poo poo in later parts.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

What's more versatile than Star Finger?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Jotaro's true power is just bullying guys anyway

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Diavolo is being added to the Jojo's Battle Royale.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBYXhR9USEw

And it seems that he will more or less have his power set as fully intact as they can make it. Epitaph seems to allow him to know where the ring is going to close ahead of time.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
First chapter of Hol Horse, Josuke Combi spin off is out

https://mangadex.org/chapter/9e717009-fb41-424e-b4e6-41e602262aea

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Dec 18, 2021

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Ehh...

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

I thought it was fun.

Liked that Hol Horse wears three watches now.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

First chapter of Hol Horse, Josuke Combi spin off is out

https://mangadex.org/chapter/9e717009-fb41-424e-b4e6-41e602262aea

Mariah and Kenny G hooking up? That's... weird.

Seems okay so far. Nothing particularly gripping; just okay. That said, I do like the idea of the characters struggling to determine their identities now that they're away from DIO.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I'm glad this guy gets to share his fanfic to a large audience

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Stairmaster posted:

I'm glad this guy gets to share his fanfic to a large audience

This tbh

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Finished the chapter and I genuinely dig the idea of Dio's remaining henchmen being haunted by his ghost (metaphorically of course).

Cool spinoff concept.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Finished the chapter and I genuinely dig the idea of Dio's remaining henchmen being haunted by his ghost (metaphorically of course).

Cool spinoff concept.

Agreed. Seeing the former villains making lives for themselves was cool and Hol Horse was fun as always.

Also Kakyoin's grave is in Morioh? That's interesting, I guess that's where he lived before meeting Dio. It would explain how Joseph met Josukes mum.

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.
Yeah, I'm intrested to see where this story goes.

lol at Boingo not aging at all in ten years though.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

lol this manga rules

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Nephthys posted:

Also Kakyoin's grave is in Morioh? That's interesting, I guess that's where he lived before meeting Dio. It would explain how Joseph met Josukes mum.

the timeline doesn't match up for that in the slightest unless you think josuke is 9 years old, lol. he went there before part 3 unrelatedly most likely. just another instance of gravity

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Also, I thought this story took place before DiU, but Josuke can already fully summon Crazy Diamond and knows what Stand Users are, so that can't be.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Also, I thought this story took place before DiU, but Josuke can already fully summon Crazy Diamond and knows what Stand Users are, so that can't be.

the Egypt stuff is in March 99, jotaro shows up in April apparently? there's nothing for sure yet on when hol horse actually arrives in morioh but next chapter will probably tell us more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

what's the schedule for the spinoff going to be?