Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Gonna hoot and hollar when they do a stunt casting and get Peter Dinklage to play Sammael.

this would be perfect tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Whoa their nsfw profile description is to the point, appreciate the honesty.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

I don't want to spoil myself with those gifs, but can someone in spoiler tags tell me if it looks like they do have Mat in them? I assume not, but just in case the writers are going to go like "oh he got in some other way" and the end of episode 6 was just one scene they had to reshoot that they couldn't get Barney Harris for, since people are saying it was only in the reshooting of the episodes?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

eke out posted:

oh drat i looked at reddit and some of those leaks are full on the climax of the battle at the Eye/Tarwin's Gap drat

How does the CG look?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

MegaZeroX posted:

I don't want to spoil myself with those gifs, but can someone in spoiler tags tell me if it looks like they do have Mat in them? I assume not, but just in case the writers are going to go like "oh he got in some other way" and the end of episode 6 was just one scene they had to reshoot that they couldn't get Barney Harris for, since people are saying it was only in the reshooting of the episodes?

they're of scenes at the climactic showdown that i don't think mat would be involved in even if he was in parts of the episodes, so i dunno

The Glumslinger posted:

How does the CG look?

too short and grainy to say much

ad090
Oct 4, 2013

claws for alarm
Every gif except for the extreme close up of two characters channeling (it looks pretty awful honestly) look really good for how short they are.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

After thinking about it overnight, there's actually another detail about these plot changes that's been annoying me - namely, according to Dana she was seeing the faces of our five Two Rivers folk in her dreams, which was why she recognized them and even emulated Egwene. Literally just some random unimportant Darkfriend in the middle of nowhere. Meanwhile, here we've got all five of them wandering around in a place absolutely infested with Black Ajah and their spies, and in some cases wandering around literally right in front of them in the case of Egwene and Nynaeve in the tower, and not a single one has acted. Like, given how absolutely critical this whole thing has been presented for the Dark One this is absolutely the kind of thing some of them might be willing to break the masque to try and fulfill that objective and potentially be one of the new Forsaken.

This just seems like a huge plot hole, unless for some strange reason the Black Ajah weren't getting those dreams. Or that someone Dark somehow connected Moraine and Siuan plotting together, despite them not being detected being a major plot point itself, and so directives changed to not stopping them (given Siuan now saying to go to the Eye). And all of this is directly because of the plot changes, because in the books the only other Aes Sedai they ran into in the first book was Elaida - who might be a moron but wasn't Dark - while here they've been thrown directly into midst of the Black Ajah while also establishing that the Dark One (or more likely Ishamael) is literally shoving depictions of Rand and company into the heads of Darkfriends.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

ad090 posted:

Every gif except for the extreme close up of two characters channeling (it looks pretty awful honestly) look really good for how short they are.

what i want to know is (spoilers for leaked content)

- what actor is that playing ishamael? he's got a cool tux
- who's the fifth person in the circle with egw/nyn/moiraine/rand
- who's the lady (i think?) in armor they're surrounding in that other gif?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

When Siuan said she was going to think of a penance for Liandrin, I was like SPANKING SPANKING SPANKING

and never again light the grail-shaped beacon

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Lord Koth posted:

After thinking about it overnight, there's actually another detail about these plot changes that's been annoying me - namely, according to Dana she was seeing the faces of our five Two Rivers folk in her dreams, which was why she recognized them and even emulated Egwene. Literally just some random unimportant Darkfriend in the middle of nowhere. Meanwhile, here we've got all five of them wandering around in a place absolutely infested with Black Ajah and their spies, and in some cases wandering around literally right in front of them in the case of Egwene and Nynaeve in the tower, and not a single one has acted. Like, given how absolutely critical this whole thing has been presented for the Dark One this is absolutely the kind of thing some of them might be willing to break the masque to try and fulfill that objective and potentially be one of the new Forsaken.

This just seems like a huge plot hole, unless for some strange reason the Black Ajah weren't getting those dreams. Or that someone Dark somehow connected Moraine and Siuan plotting together, despite them not being detected being a major plot point itself, and so directives changed to not stopping them (given Siuan now saying to go to the Eye). And all of this is directly because of the plot changes, because in the books the only other Aes Sedai they ran into in the first book was Elaida - who might be a moron but wasn't Dark - while here they've been thrown directly into midst of the Black Ajah while also establishing that the Dark One (or more likely Ishamael) is literally shoving depictions of Rand and company into the heads of Darkfriends.

Egwene and Nyneave were being hidden. Perrin was in bed the whole time. Rand was sticking with Mat for a lot of that time.

But also, Ta'varen. Which I thought was being hinted at when Moiraine was drinking her tea and a Ogrier and Nyneave walk across the background behind her and she didn't notice.

Edit: Okay, below are the gifs. Spoilered.

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/HappygoluckyAncientEuropeanfiresalamander-mobile.mp4
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/GiganticDeafeningKagu-mobile.mp4
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/MeaslyMindlessFishingcat-mobile.mp4
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/DrearyGreenFallowdeer-mobile.mp4

CainFortea fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Dec 11, 2021

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

rocketrobot posted:

So far, there are only two things I've noticed that are either important or added a lot of world building that have been skipped entirely. The first is the whole bit in the Stedding with Egwene and Perrin (and Elyas) where we get a big infodump about Artur Hawkwing, the thinning of the world, and how steddings work. I can see why they skipped it and can make up for everything later. But, man, there could have been some great visuals.

The other is the glimpse of the Tower of Ghenjei when Mat, Rand, and Thom were on the riverboat. Again, I can see why they skipped it for the show. But, Mat is going to need to know about that later.

There’s a leaked rumor that Elyas shows up in season 2

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

CainFortea posted:

Edit: Okay, below are the gifs. Spoilered.

you missed these two fyi. (don't think i need to spoiler the random gfy names)

https://gfycat.com/plushequatorialgannet

https://gfycat.com/fewfainthomalocephale

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

i do think there's been a smidge too little focus on Rand and the reveal is gonna come outta nowhere to a lot of viewers

right now he's sorta just "that one friend who doesn't have anything weird going on"

foreshadowing like the door or Loial being interested in his hair are easily overshadowed by the amount of focus time every other character has gotten

Not to sound like that "Tam al'Thor is my dad for real, and he could totally beat up your dad!" poster from yesterday, but Tam being a weird retired turbo-badass is one of the things that really teases Rand's importance - I think they could easily have fit in a bit more emphasis on the heron-marked blade, for instance

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

those gifs have me ready to watch the next two episodes

e: also tam al'thor is my dad and can beat up your dad easy

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

CainFortea posted:

Egwene and Nyneave were being hidden. Perrin was in bed the whole time. Rand was sticking with Mat for a lot of that time.

But also, Ta'varen. Which I thought was being hinted at when Moiraine was drinking her tea and a Ogrier and Nyneave walk across the background behind her and she didn't notice.

Nynaeve was literally right in front of Liandrin this entire time, and then started wandering around the tower instead of staying put like Moraine wanted her to. Her alone could also possibly be ignored, since she was only 1/5 of them (possibly not worth breaking the masque for just one). And while last episode you could try and claim that they just hadn't noticed the rest of them hiding out in Tar Valon, this episode made a point of having Liandrin confront Moraine with the fact... including their names, which Darkfriends did know according to the show. Unless this show really is making Liandrin not a Black Ajah, which is presumably possible I guess - it'd be incredibly strange though.

Uh, the point of the tea drinking scene this episode wasn't "Moraine didn't notice Nynaeve." It was "Moraine followed Nynaeve and approached Rand and Mat as soon as she left to do something." Or in other words, Nynaeve's sneaking around wasn't as steatlhy as she thought it was.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

eke out posted:

you missed these two fyi. (don't think i need to spoiler the random gfy names)

https://gfycat.com/plushequatorialgannet

https://gfycat.com/fewfainthomalocephale

This has "fain" in it, probably a spoiler

:v:

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

PupsOfWar posted:

foreshadowing like the door or Loial being interested in his hair are easily overshadowed by the amount of focus time every other character has gotten

Yea...but he's the 2nd most talky character in the show. And most of the time when something happens with mat, it's his reaction we're seeing, or his decision. He was being the sober friend all in tar valon, he's the one we got the madness explanation to.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Lord Koth posted:

Uh, the point of the tea drinking scene this episode wasn't "Moraine didn't notice Nynaeve." It was "Moraine followed Nynaeve and approached Rand and Mat as soon as she left to do something." Or in other words, Nynaeve's sneaking around wasn't as steatlhy as she thought it was.

I did not get that from that scene. Because she seemed surprised to see Nyneave when she walked in with those herbs.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

PupsOfWar posted:

i do think there's been a smidge too little focus on Rand and the reveal is gonna come outta nowhere to a lot of viewers

right now he's sorta just "that one friend who doesn't have anything weird going on"

Not to sound like that "Tam al'Thor is my dad for real, and he could totally beat up your dad!" poster from yesterday, but Tam being a weird retired turbo-badass is one of the things that really teases Rand's importance - I think they could easily have fit in a bit more emphasis on the heron-marked blade, for instance

you should probably give the next 2 episodes time to actually bring in more focus on rand and call in scenes they didn't show before, just call it a hunch

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

CainFortea posted:

Yea...but he's the 2nd most talky character in the show. And most of the time when something happens with mat, it's his reaction we're seeing, or his decision. He was being the sober friend all in tar valon, he's the one we got the madness explanation to.

That's a good point, i didn't think of that!

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

eke out posted:

what i want to know is (spoilers for leaked content)

- what actor is that playing ishamael? he's got a cool tux
- who's the fifth person in the circle with egw/nyn/moiraine/rand
- who's the lady (i think?) in armor they're surrounding in that other gif?

I'm told the lady in armor being surrounded is Lady Amalisa. Aside from that It honestly looks like more of the EYE events than I expected. I'm excited.

Hexel fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Dec 11, 2021

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Hexel posted:

I'm told the lady in armor being surrounded is Agelmar's wife. Aside from that It honestly looks like more of the EYE events than I expected. I'm excited.

seeing the crew all linked up around rand is genuinely exciting, it looks like he's driving the big magic but everyone's helping. of course i'm not sure who one of those people is

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Can't stop myself for watching gifs but they point to a few things that I think will work well. Part of me still longs to see a 100% accurate adaption but I am enjoying the episodes as well as all of the discussion and reaction stuff. Plus if it gets more people to experience the books that's also cool and good.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

I hope they made the rule "Let the Lord of Chaos rule" from the beginning. It just never made sense to kill the guy you need in books 1-3.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Can't stop myself for watching gifs but they point to a few things that I think will work well. Part of me still longs to see a 100% accurate adaption but I am enjoying the episodes as well as all of the discussion and reaction stuff. Plus if it gets more people to experience the books that's also cool and good.

That's where I'm at as well. With any luck, this keeps gaining steam and kicks off a bit of a fantasy revival. Game of Thrones was a bit of a false start in that regard, given how it just kinda disappeared from public consciousness after it ended instead of leaving people clamoring for more. I'd love to see other big budget adaptations of smaller series, and other stabs at this one down the line like say a graphic novel run or something. I love sci fi and superheroes as much as the next geek, but fantasy books were always my thing as a kid and there really hasn't been much beyond LotR in my adult life.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

I’d watch a faithful adaptation but it’s very hard to do that while making something that your average viewer would be interested in watching

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

In addition to Rosemond Pike saying episode 7 was her favorite (and reaffirming this in another interview today), we also have Hammed Animashaun in this interview today saying:

quote:

Okay, so for the book fans, the Ways is gonna be a highlight. It’s special. It’s a highlight definitely. Shooting the ways was really difficult—no—it wasn’t really difficult. I think it was intense and that comes out in the scenes. I think that’s what’s really great about the team over in Prague is that they built the Ways for us. We really walked through the Ways. All the elements were in there and it was terrifying at times, really scary, really intense. So, I think you’re gonna see some really dramatic, intense moments in the ways. It’s gonna be a highlight, I think it’s the highlight of the season in my opinion.

So I'm guessing a lot of the cast really like episode 7.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

PupsOfWar posted:

That's a good point, i didn't think of that!

I think they're doing a very slow burn with him, and the reveal is going to make people think back and see a lot of those scenes in a different light. I hope they can pull it off.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

CainFortea posted:

I think they're doing a very slow burn with him, and the reveal is going to make people think back and see a lot of those scenes in a different light. I hope they can pull it off.

I think they've also been effectively seeding the idea that even if Rand's the chosen one, they all have a major part to play. Taking 3/4 of the season to set up the rest of the Emond's Fielders and Lan and Moiraine will, I hope, make the last two eps focusing on Rand not feel like they're all disposable now.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

I believe I've identified Ishi's actor

Numan Acar

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Hexel posted:

Numan Acar

looks the part

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Hexel posted:

Numan Acar

thought it was fares fares https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0267241/

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Yeah I think you're right.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Oh yeah the inn keeper in the episode was subtitled as Basel Gill. I wonder if he will come back in the future, I'm assuming not but there's always a chance.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I can't believe I have to wait another god dang week.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Dang those leaks really made this thread into full on CIA mode.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

CainFortea posted:

I did not get that from that scene. Because she seemed surprised to see Nyneave when she walked in with those herbs.

I saw being angry. Incredibly angry at how arrogant and stupid Nynaeve was being. It's also not like Nynaeve walking off beforehand actually changed anything other than moving the tongue lashing to afterwards, and allowing Moraine to deal with one issue at a time rather than both at once.

Really though, the entire scene framing was absolutely classic tv/movie stakeout. There'd be absolutely no reason for Moraine to just wait across the street for a bit if she wasn't deliberately waiting for something to happen (Nynaeve leaving).

ad090
Oct 4, 2013

claws for alarm

MegaZeroX posted:

Dang those leaks really made this thread into full on CIA mode.

Rand Al'Thor is the Dragon Reborn.

Also the r/whitecloaks response to the leaks are amazing, gonna be even better when they actually happen in the next two weeks, right now some may harbor a small hope that things somehow might change.

ad090 fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Dec 11, 2021

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

God drat it, I don't know what is behind that spoiler, but I know that can't be Rand given the length. Can you loving not spoil poo poo when its clear I'm not partaking in the leaks? I'm guessing its "everyone" based on the length, which will be fun if true, but I'm annoyed as it is that you did that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ad090
Oct 4, 2013

claws for alarm
Oh it's not a leak spoiler it was a lame joke when you mentioned all the spoiler tags, my "spoiler" says Rand Al'Thor.