Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

Twelve by Pies posted:

I think Gaben or Steam is interested in NFTs so I'm gonna have to say EGS is better than Steam on that basis alone, unless EGS has also expressed interest in NFTs, in which case they both suck rear end.

Other way around. There are other reasons to not like Valve though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

ImpAtom posted:

I feel like it's going to stick close because of marketing. They already had to come out and promise the story was still going to feature iconic moments. I feel like the death of the spirits of canon doesn't mean their adventure is going to be completely different until Aerith inevitably doesn't die because even freed of those constraints they're still going to make the same choices and go to the same places.

The big stinger at the end with Zack being alive does seem like a pretty huge thing though. Unless that's a fake out and it's like Zack: "well good on you little buddy, glad I got you back to Midgar safe. Oh wait is that Shinra's army right behind me? Oh no!"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Professor Beetus posted:

The big stinger at the end with Zack being alive does seem like a pretty huge thing though. Unless that's a fake out and it's like Zack: "well good on you little buddy, glad I got you back to Midgar safe. Oh wait is that Shinra's army right behind me? Oh no!"

Honestly I suspect based off the history of JRPG remakes and FF7 EU and all that it's basically going to boil down to Zack is going to survive and Aerith is going to survive and they are going to get together and Cloud is going to get together with Tifa so all the romance subplots are neatly closed off and everyone lives happily ever after except Vincent. '

The EU stuff pushes Zack and Aerith hard and their Japanese voice actors are married so I fully expect the entire reason is so that they can have a happy ending instead of Crisis Core's tragedy ending

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

That would be so unimaginably awful I can only assume it's going to be true

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

That would be so unimaginably awful I can only assume it's going to be true

I am not saying I am in favor of it but it absolutely feels like what you'd write if you were doing a FF7 remake where people had happier endings.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
That would really annoy me since when Cloud asks Aerith if she and Zack were serious at the playground she says "No, but I liked him for a while."

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Honestly I suspect based off the history of JRPG remakes and FF7 EU and all that it's basically going to boil down to Zack is going to survive and Aerith is going to survive and they are going to get together and Cloud is going to get together with Tifa so all the romance subplots are neatly closed off and everyone lives happily ever after except Vincent. '

The EU stuff pushes Zack and Aerith hard and their Japanese voice actors are married so I fully expect the entire reason is so that they can have a happy ending instead of Crisis Core's tragedy ending

You've articulated my single greatest fear for the FFVIIR verse. (Kinda joking....)

ImpAtom posted:

I am not saying I am in favor of it but it absolutely feels like what you'd write if you were doing a FF7 remake where people had happier endings.

I guess he key question becomes are they going for happier endings? That post earlier about that speculated that saving Aerith will doom the world just made me think how a lot of folks predict FFVIIR will basically be the Rebuild of Final Fantasy VII. I only watched Rebuild 1 and 2 a long time ago but my memory is that saving Rei doomed the world there. Despite the heroic music at the end of Rebuild 2....

But I suppose we have no idea what direction it's all going and can only guess.

Twelve by Pies posted:

That would really annoy me since when Cloud asks Aerith if she and Zack were serious at the playground she says "No, but I liked him for a while."

Exactly. She's adamant to the end that she's moved on from Zack. Even after talking in Gungaga with her, she drops talking about Zack to ask if Cloud is jealous and flits with him.

It's important to remember Zack is just that dude who got owned by Sephiroth off-screen and killed by two Shinra mooks in FFVII. He's not pivotal to anybody's or character or the world. I mean, he's obviously important, but nowhere near as important as the EU made him.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Dec 11, 2021

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

It's going to be rad when Cloud meets Zack and has a huge freak out or something and it turns into a one on one boss fight.

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

if this accounts a rockin'
don't come a knockin'
Is now an okay time to start playing FF14, in this the year of our lord 2021? Are people still starting out on it and is it predicted that it’ll be supported for the foreseeable?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Minotaurus Rex posted:

Is now an okay time to start playing FF14, in this the year of our lord 2021? Are people still starting out on it and is it predicted that it’ll be supported for the foreseeable?

Tons of people are still starting out and they're already talking about their plans for the next 10 years of story. In fact, if you start now you now have a full story from beginning to end to play through because Endwalker, the expansion that just released, wrapped up the main story that's been going since the game first released.

That said, maybe wait a month or so if you plan to play during NA prime time. The game is currently more popular than it's ever been and it's melting the login servers, so it's very difficult to play if you try to log on during NA prime time.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Dec 11, 2021

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Minotaurus Rex posted:

It's currently the most popular mmorpg, and by that I mean the new expansion is out, its stellar, and login queues go up to 7000 on the weekend prime times.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Something that helps with new players, too, is that the game heavily incentivizes high-level players to do lower-level dungeons on a regular basis, ensuring that there are always people to do dungeons and trial bosses with no matter what level you are. It's a really smart way to make sure that all content stays relevant and populated.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
https://twitter.com/vgcartography/status/1469509156524724227?s=20

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

if this accounts a rockin'
don't come a knockin'

Harrow posted:

That said, maybe wait a month or so if you plan to play during NA prime time. The game is currently more popular than it's ever been and it's melting the login servers, so it's very difficult to play if you try to log on during NA prime time.

Don’t foresee this being an issue as I’m in the Merry Olde U.K. … These have been some glowing goonly words for FF14 - it sounds great and I think that I will probably get involved & buy a PS4 for it and Monster Hunter World. Haven’t played an MMO in many moons!

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Minotaurus Rex posted:

In the general sense, yes, it's an extremely popular game which will have support for a long time to come and has a number of systems specifically designed to support and encourage new players. The Game Is Good.

In the very immediate sense, no. The combination of a general surge in popularity due to WoW being poo poo, a massive worldwide server hardware shortage, and the release of a new expansion has caused login servers to burst into flames and has resulted in multi-hour-long queues just to get into the game. If you're able to mitigate these issues, like say being in a weird Greenwich-centric time zone, then give it a shot, but start with the free trial before committing money to something you may not be able to play for a while.

https://freetrial.finalfantasyxiv.com/na/

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.

Cardboard Fox posted:

Also, Chrono Cross not being announced. I was one of the dummies that actually believed those internet rumors.

Nah, Chrono Cross was definitely announced :v:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8q4UT99e7VE

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Frionnel posted:

Serge having a voice is just wrong.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Serge having a voice is just wrong.

How do you gently caress up someone having a job title of "Silent Protagonist"

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

Frionnel posted:

I hate you for showing me that this exists.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Minotaurus Rex posted:

Don’t foresee this being an issue as I’m in the Merry Olde U.K. … These have been some glowing goonly words for FF14 - it sounds great and I think that I will probably get involved & buy a PS4 for it and Monster Hunter World. Haven’t played an MMO in many moons!

There's a goon guild on European servers that are cool, used to be part of them until I moved away. From their reports the EU login queues are similarly hammered.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Minotaurus Rex posted:

Just the fact that you said "many moons" means you're in the exact right mindset to enjoy XIV.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Alxprit posted:

Just the fact that you said "many moons" means you're in the exact right mindset to enjoy XIV.

We must needs gather a dictionary of the terms USED by FF14, forthwith!

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Ibblebibble posted:

There's a goon guild on European servers that are cool, used to be part of them until I moved away. From their reports the EU login queues are similarly hammered.

Yeah, it was a few hours at peak time last night at least on Odin by the sound of it. If you get in early (or late) enough then queues are short to non-existent and once you're in there are no problems at all, but peak times are rough still, especially since it's the weekend again.

At any rate there's a dedicated FF14 newbie thread in the MMO subforum that's a good place to start.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Minotaurus Rex posted:

It's not a huge issue if you log in early or late enough.

Please Calm Down is located on Omega if you want to join a goon free company. Inquire more with me or other cool people from us.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

The mornings seem fine but my master plan the last couple of days was to start the login three hours before I finished work since that's how long it's been taking

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Harrow posted:

Wingnut Ninja posted:

If you're able to mitigate these issues, like say being in a weird Greenwich-centric time zone, then give it a shot, but start with the free trial before committing money to something you may not be able to play for a while.

https://freetrial.finalfantasyxiv.com/na/

Just keep in mind that free trial users cannot log in if there's a queue going. If there's a single paid player waiting to get in, they take priority.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

BisbyWorl posted:

Just keep in mind that free trial users cannot log in if there's a queue going. If there's a single paid player waiting to get in, they take priority.

Not totally true, its only if the queue is triple digits. You can be a free trial user and be in a 56 queue (which lasts like 30 seconds in my experience)

Mesopotamia
Apr 12, 2010
Having swerved all the EU games, the obsession with Zack has always seemed odd to me. He's barely in FF7, you can miss most of the references (lifestream twist aside) and doesn't exactly have a developed character in it.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Crisis Core is really what did most of it. It took the little of Zack that we got from FF7 and bloomed it into a pretty solid protag. It also helped that CC was one of the few bits of the EU that wasn't kind of a slog.

I mean aside from Genesis, but he's really not why you play the game, anyway.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Cloud is basically an NPC that started imitating the cool JRPG protagonist he admired so making a game starring said protagonist makes sense. I’m a bit wary about FF7R2 bringing him into the story proper, but that team’s earned the benefit of the doubt.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Yeah I would be a lot more worried if 7R hadn’t completely kicked rear end.

Mesopotamia
Apr 12, 2010
I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt, although my expectations are slightly tempered by the fact I thought many of the completely new plot points (Chapter 4, the final segment, introducing Sephiroth as soon as you leave the reactor) were my least favourite part of remake. But hey, here's hoping.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
My only concern for the future of FF7R is that I am struggling to imagine what could possibly top the Honeybee Inn sequence from the first game.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Cloud's date with Barret.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
My one issue with Remake is that I don’t think the final boss should have been Sephiroth. That should have been saved for later.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

MonsterEnvy posted:

My one issue with Remake is that I don’t think the final boss should have been Sephiroth. That should have been saved for later.

i agree that's the weakest part. a big cataclysmic fight against motor roller or whatever his name is would have sufficed

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Before release I thought they might end with a Jenova fight.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I kinda have to wonder why they couldn’t just chill out and not add him or make him so prevalent in general, having him be the last boss that you presumably beat (haven’t beat FF7R) seems like it’s gonna take away from that one moment with the Midgar Zolum)

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Mega64 posted:

Cloud's date with Barret.

The sailor suit stays on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I'm gonna guess they did that because they weren't sure that they were gonna be able to make a FF7Re2 because lmao Square-Enix so they went ahead to give it a climax and conclusion that could've been its own thing.