Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Magu: Cool. I lolled at the "I'm your mother gag". I didn't expect a STarwars shoutout. Magu has been extremely good again lately. Happy with that.

Mash: I have no idea what was happening or how Dot got the key. But I'm okay with that, Mash is back. Trashtalk and all.

Elusive: Good stuff. But you know what, sometimes it feels a little like this series is speed running a large war. I'm not sure if I want them to linger too much, but it should be careful with how quickly it handles things.

Ayashimon: Still entertaining, good to see them picking up followers.

Sakamoto: Stick around wire guy! And the next chapters are going to be amazing.

Witch Watch: Entertaining as always. And oddly relatable.

Undead Unluck: At least it looks cool

Doron Dororon: For a second chapter this really isn't bad at all. It's more world building, including showing that not all Samurai are prejudiced against Mononoke's. They also set up how they're going to go around and what their current goal is. Seems like pretty solid pacing to me, especially with Samurai girl already having them in their sights.
I'm enjoying it, it does seem to be able to get enough of an own identity to be able to stand next to Ayashi, despite similarities. Ayashi is a much...err darker series?
But we'll see what Japan thinks, for now I'm on board.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I don't see people talking about it all that much, but High School Family is a pretty great gag manga. Each member of the family has their own genre or sport so it never gets stale. It's also really good at using its jokes to build up to a punchline at the end of the chapter. And while the artstyle is goofy like Shugomaru, it manages to keep the proportions consistent, unlike Shugomaru.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Dororon I think would benefit if it just immediately skips the "we have to hide the good mononoke" stuff.

It was refreshing that the two samurai who nearly died were grateful and seemed to clearly recognize that the mononoke was a good one. If the Samurai girl shows up and is just immediately "alright, you're both obviously good guys and your weird setup let's you fight the bad mononoke, you're in." That'd be cool. Also no tests.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

chiasaur11 posted:

(Didn't think Elusive Samurai would last this long, for example)

The setting and time period I would say appeals more to Japanese readers than your average international reader, but also it being by Yusei Matsui, the mangaka behind Assassination Classroom and Majin Tantei Nougami Neuro, definitely gave it a boost.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Elusive Samurai almost lost me in its first 5 or 6 chapters, there was just a lot of nothing happening, lots of confusing Japanese names, and lots of the priest dude being creepy. Then it got the lead out and things started happening and it's been owning hard ever since.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Electric Phantasm posted:

Finally a correct popularity poll

A second correct popularity poll.

https://twitter.com/beanytuesday/status/1458596714223480832

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I miss Medaka Box.

Also didn't We Never Learn have something absurd like the teacher having like 5 times the votes of the next highest?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

chumbler posted:

I miss Medaka Box.

Also didn't We Never Learn have something absurd like the teacher having like 5 times the votes of the next highest?

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

chumbler posted:

I miss Medaka Box.

Kumagawa just crushing it in every poll after his reveal was heartwarming. I think at one point he had like 3x the number of votes compared to 2nd place.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

CodfishCartographer posted:

Elusive Samurai almost lost me in its first 5 or 6 chapters, there was just a lot of nothing happening, lots of confusing Japanese names, and lots of the priest dude being creepy. Then it got the lead out and things started happening and it's been owning hard ever since.

I on the other hand bounced off Elusive Samurai hard. The art style is just too messy and confusing for me, and I didn't like the characters. I read four chapters before calling it quits.

I'm not saying it's a bad manga tho, it just didn't fit my tastes. I'm glad y'all are enjoing it :)

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Brought To You By posted:

Kumagawa just crushing it in every poll after his reveal was heartwarming. I think at one point he had like 3x the number of votes compared to 2nd place.

https://imgur.com/a/53jOep9

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

That's pretty funny. Not quite in the same vein but I did think it was goofy how in the most recent poll for Black Clover Nacht (a character who was a late addition to the cast) shot up to like number 3.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

amigolupus posted:

I don't see people talking about it all that much, but High School Family is a pretty great gag manga. Each member of the family has their own genre or sport so it never gets stale. It's also really good at using its jokes to build up to a punchline at the end of the chapter. And while the artstyle is goofy like Shugomaru, it manages to keep the proportions consistent, unlike Shugomaru.

It does best when its a sport manga.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I should re-read Medaka Box.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
New Edens Zero; Yakow, I appreciate that Adult Shiki is mature enough to go "Yes, this cycle of finding a planet Ziggy's 'infected', clearing it out and going on can't go on forever" when asked on the matter. It's a really good way of showing that he's matured over the three years. Also, low key, thank goodness Hiro didn't sit us through those three years cuz that would have been obnoxious.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

ConanThe3rd posted:

New Edens Zero; Yakow, I appreciate that Adult Shiki is mature enough to go "Yes, this cycle of finding a planet Ziggy's 'infected', clearing it out and going on can't go on forever" when asked on the matter. It's a really good way of showing that he's matured over the three years. Also, low key, thank goodness Hiro didn't sit us through those three years cuz that would have been obnoxious.

I don't know, seeing Jin and Laguna show up with increasingly more 90s hair would've been funny.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Darth TNT posted:

I don't know, seeing Jin and Laguna show up with increasingly more 90s hair would've been funny.

That's for Hiro's twitter / the end of volume post script.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Kaiju no 8 loving owns.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
It's a really cool manga and this week is great.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

PringleCreamEgg posted:

Kaiju no 8 loving owns.

T_T7
Hope the commander can be revived because of kaiju bullshit. Lord Genome went from hardass to misunderstood dad real quick and I like him

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

amigolupus posted:

Is Shugomaru by the Zatch Bell guy? Zatch Bell had some great comedy/faces, so if Shugomaru goes the route of a gag manga it could be good.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
shugomaru is far less polished than any of raikou's works. raikou kind of disappeared up his own rear end but he's a master of his craft.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Arakawa's new series Yomi no Tsugai got it's first chapter translated and man does it escalate real quick.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Cool first chapter. I'm in.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Sanda is already starting to give me latter-day Beastars vibes where Paru just does whatever seems neat in the moment until the story collapses on itself

I’ll have a better idea of it in the next few chapters probably

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Arakawa's new series Yomi no Tsugai got it's first chapter translated and man does it escalate real quick.

Ok, I like this so far

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

Is it getting an official release anywhere?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Kingtheninja posted:

Is it getting an official release anywhere?

All her other stuff did so I imagine someone will pick it up eventually

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
God drat that was loving great.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Oxxidation posted:

Sanda is already starting to give me latter-day Beastars vibes where Paru just does whatever seems neat in the moment until the story collapses on itself

I’ll have a better idea of it in the next few chapters probably

Introducing Sanda's new antagonist, a half-leopard half-gazelle named Melon!!

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

CodfishCartographer posted:

Introducing Sanda's new antagonist, a half-leopard half-gazelle named Melon!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31g0YE61PLQ

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I had to Google what Melon looks like and the answer is "like a loving dumbass", so I am not looking forward to reaching that part of the story.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

shugomaru is far less polished than any of raikou's works. raikou kind of disappeared up his own rear end but he's a master of his craft.

drat, that's a shame. Zatch Bell had some top tier comedy, particularly with faces/expressions. Magu-chan sort of channels something similar with some of its faces, but not quite as well.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
vector ball got cancelled, but you really have to see it to believe it. dude went art-mad.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/WSJ_manga/status/1470048146990501890?t=8bK2HYeLU2yqkiM1M_KqVA&s=19

did not expect these top 2, or one of the pretty secondary cops to get in top 10

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

dogsicle posted:

https://twitter.com/WSJ_manga/status/1470048146990501890?t=8bK2HYeLU2yqkiM1M_KqVA&s=19

did not expect these top 2, or one of the pretty secondary cops to get in top 10

Gamer chick who doesn't wear pants getting voted most popular character by nerds might be the least surprising thing, to be honest.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I can't really explain clearly why Ayakashi Triangle's handling of Matsuri puts me off so much whenever I go back to look at it. Yuri-bait is whatever but even at its most heartfelt it still gives off this impression of "lol, girls hooking up with eachother is a funny joke and not something that can really happen!"

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

it's not a joke, it's purely an excuse to be horny while playing it safe. I doubt anything's changed from the first ch and you really shouldn't give the to love ru guy the benefit of the doubt

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Gotta be honest, I didn't enjoy the latest Ayashimon chapter. The introduction of an additional complication makes sense, and I like understanding the thoguht process behind Elder Sister's actions, but the whole he's actually a special human thing is bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Gotta be honest, I didn't enjoy the latest Ayashimon chapter. The introduction of an additional complication makes sense, and I like understanding the thoguht process behind Elder Sister's actions, but the whole he's actually a special human thing is bad.
What she's talking about is more of a generality. She's basically saying Marou is a freak of nature- not so much that he's like secretly a yokai or descended from a god or whatever; he's just like one of those random one-in-a-million people who're extraordinary in some way.