Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CPU Abuser
Oct 3, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 65 days!

genericnick posted:

Not sure GG reads anything that isn't blog posts/his Twitter feed.

Given his history, he's probably read "Mein Kampf" with rapt attention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

genericnick posted:

I'm super risk averse and financially responsible

--me at Michelle's Beach House

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
what's the latest on the risk of outdoor transmission? do you guys mask up for outdoor walks / jogging / hiking?

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

seeing even more recent and newer reports saying mild

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Joementum posted:

what's the latest on the risk of outdoor transmission? do you guys mask up for outdoor walks / jogging / hiking?

The Aussies think they detected a Delta case transmission from incidental contact between passersby. Since omicron spreads so easily I'd think it would be the same

I still mask up when outdoors in a crowded area (parking lot, school) but am not as good about it in more sparse places as I used to be

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Joementum posted:

(..)do you guys mask up for outdoor walks / jogging / hiking?

I don't think this answer is useful to you at all, but right now I don't go out at all without wearing a full face respirator with p100 filters. I haven't and can't get a booster shot, while the Delta wave is crushing the country and Omicron is doubling every two days (last number was 2.5% of local cases, but that number is a couple of doublings old...). Meanwhile vaccine breakthroughs from yesterday are high enough to be the 5th highest number of daily infections ever.

Considering I got the second shot of Pfizer in mid-July I am barely protected, so I spend my days repeatedly reapplying my joker makeup :rubby:

Denmark is breathing hard, thank you.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

:denmark:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
is it just policy that’s keeping you from a booster

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

Joementum posted:

There's no hard data, no matter how much you look. Information to guide your decision-making simply does not exist. Personally, I'll put the respirator on if I'm going to be within ~10 feet of other people but I'll drop it when I'm outside that distance.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

mystes
May 31, 2006

Joementum posted:

Prior to omicron, if you're boosted the risk seemed so small as to not be worth worrying about if it's not a crowded urban environment.

With omicron who knows.

mystes fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Dec 12, 2021

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

mystes posted:

Prior to omicron, if you're boosted the risk seemed so small as to not be worth worrying about if it's not a crowded urban environment.

With omicron who knows.

yeah, i've been walking outside at 6am in a rural town and i'll see one or two other people over the course of an hour and can usually cross to the other side of the street, but sometimes they sneak up on me

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

CODChimera posted:

seeing even more recent and newer reports saying mild

So am I but it is fairly moot. Here is an example with some actual numbers:

https://www.timesofisrael.com/south-african-doctors-see-early-signs-omicron-variant-is-milder-than-delta/ posted:

South African doctors see early signs Omicron variant is milder than Delta
Only 30% of hospitalizations in recent weeks serious, about half the rate of previous waves; just 3% of patients die, unlike 20% in earlier outbreaks; meanwhile UK predictions dire
(..)
Of the patients hospitalized in the current wave, 86% weren’t vaccinated against the coronavirus, Jassat said. The COVID-patients in South Africa’s hospitals now also are younger than at other periods of the pandemic: about two-thirds are under 40.
(..)
The good news here is that it is a halving and most of the people are unvaccinated with a substantial margin - even compared to a mere 25% of ZA being vaccinated. But is this just an artifact of hitting younger people, which are both less likely to be vaccinated and less likely to be severe cases?

It hasn't actually been that long since Omicron started taking over and considering the delay in hospitalizations vs infections it isn't really clear if it is milder or if this is just young people getting hit first. Moreover, half severity compared to Delta doesn't really matter from a public health policy perspective, when the doubling rate is every couple of days. It just means it will take two days more to reach the same number :(

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Joementum posted:

I've never masked up outside unless you count a mask that I put on in the parking lot before going in to a store and wait to take off until I have stuff put away in my trunk but I don't live anywhere that puts me in close contact with anyone outdoors. I get why people who live in more crowded areas do though I don't understand people who wear one while hiking unless it's a super crowded trail.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Pingui posted:

The good news here is that it is a halving and most of the people are unvaccinated with a substantial margin - even compared to a mere 25% of ZA being vaccinated. But is this just an artifact of hitting younger people, which are both less likely to be vaccinated and less likely to be severe cases?

It hasn't actually been that long since Omicron started taking over and considering the delay in hospitalizations vs infections it isn't really clear if it is milder or if this is just young people getting hit first. Moreover, half severity compared to Delta doesn't really matter from a public health policy perspective, when the doubling rate is every couple of days. It just means it will take two days more to reach the same number :(

blood for the line god, neoliberal economics for the NFT throne

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Joementum posted:

i wear an n95 when im commuting by bicycle. i only started a little while ago when i heard how transmissible omicron was and i was worried about all those open car windows, but i think im gonna keep at it anyway because im breathing easier in general. im assuming because im no longer getting lung-fulls of deadly road particulate from the three major roadways i pass.

i also wear one when walking my dog around the apartment complex cuz it's arizona and everyone has their windows open with industrial fans in their windows blowing air out into the courtyard, which over the past two weeks has been filled with the sounds of coughing and hacking. i get stares every time

if im at a park or going on a hike i don't really bother until i pass someone, then i wear it for a couple minutes as im retracing their steps on the trail esp if it's not particularly windy

God Hole fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Dec 12, 2021

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Joementum posted:

It doesn't really seem to be a thing. There were huge crowds of unmasked people last summer in Minneapolis and we didn't see a spike from it. And outdoors during winter is a less hospitable climate for viruses.

If you're worried, just keep your distance from people.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Steve Yun posted:

is it just policy that’s keeping you from a booster

Denmark tracks people and vaccinations. My CPR (central personregister = central person registry) number is looked up in the national database when I register for a shot. You can't get a dose without a CPR number and the associated plastic card, which is laser read just before the jab.

Snagging a booster out of turn would require taking SplitSoul up on the booster heist offer.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Pingui posted:

lmao at declaring that "only" three percent of patients die,

quote:

Cov-Lineages]Earliest Date: 2021-11-08

Might want to chill a bit before going all mild

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

If I'm going anywhere I suspect I'll be needing a mask I put on a FFP2 before I leave home and really only take it off when I'm back. I don't bother for jogging/walking the dog/ whatever, but the outsides are also pretty sparsely populated, here.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Pingui posted:

Denmark tracks people and vaccinations. My CPR (central personregister = central person registry) number is looked up in the national database when I register for a shot. You can't get a dose without a CPR number and the associated plastic card, which is laser read just before the jab.

Snagging a booster out of turn would require taking SplitSoul up on the booster heist offer.

What's it like to live in a country with a functional government?

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

genericnick posted:

lmao at declaring that "only" three percent of patients die,

Might want to chill a bit before going all mild

Well, that story really buries the lede if 20% of hospitalized patients were dying in earlier South African outbreaks. I've been following the news pretty closely and I had no idea of that bit of information.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Zeroisanumber posted:

What's it like to live in a country with a functional government?

Increasingly risky.

Brogeoisie
Jan 12, 2005

"Look, I'm a private citizen," he said. "One thing that I don't have to do is sit here and open my kimono as it relates to how much money I make or didn't."

Pingui posted:

It's all manufactured bs. Why:

- immortality bias - unless normalized and looking at data at same point in time, will be underestimating deaths/hospitalizations at same point in time. None of media has been normalizing for this. Is also made worse because spread of disease is faster, so exponential effects will severely underestimate deaths and hospitalizations in real time. Probably why we are seeing excess deaths jump so rapidly in SA but covid deaths not following yet. This is purely a data receipt vs actual thing -- deaths/hospitalizations will "roll up" in historical data but real-time data is not automatically adjusted thing.
- lagged hospitalizations and death - we know there is a lag, people are ignoring this?
- exponential spread - speed of spread matters more than severity as spread is exponential/logistic vs linear severity. This will play out like every other wave. Best example of this MERS which killed huge chunk of people immediately (like 20-30%) and therefore didn't spread. Higher transmission rates are almost always worse unless multiple orders of magnitude less severe - unlikely
- data quality issues - the drop off last 48 hours likely from incomplete receipts of lab testing data that are being highlighted but promptly ignored
- narrative shaping - people level shifting Delta wave to make it look worse (see FT)
- day in week bias, data received on weekends generally has more issues

Also a lot of rate metrics have been ignored this time around for some reason (e.g. positivity rate).

All of this stuff a mediocre data scientist should immediately pick up on but instead we have people screaming about how it's "mild". It's loving bullshit and economic propaganda at this point and makes me realize we are all going to die because everyone with a master of public health degree is a con artist and influencing remediation strategy.

Happy Sunday.

Brogeoisie fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Dec 12, 2021

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Just to contextualize Danish breakthrough numbers for the fully vaccinated, compared to the US it would correspond to ~194k cases (and yesterday was weekend numbers).

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Brogeoisie posted:

It's all manufactured bs. Why:
(..)

I know; I just wanted to get to the point that it really wouldn't help much if it turned out to be true.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
have any experts put forward the idea that omicron is "milder" only in the sense that many of the people it would have killed are already dead?

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Omicron being possibly less lethal matters less because it's apparently insanely infectious. Hospitals are already clogged with patients who got hit during the Delta wave, Omi adding a shitload more over the holidays is basically going to tap us out.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Zeroisanumber posted:

It doesn't really seem to be a thing. There were huge crowds of unmasked people last summer in Minneapolis and we didn't see a spike from it. And outdoors during winter is a less hospitable climate for viruses.

If you're worried, just keep your distance from people.

Wasn't the superspreader event where Trump and a lot of ghouls got the plague last year an outdoor party to celebrate the SCOTUS appointment? Like with the outdoor transmission being tracked so well we could tell who gave it to who by where they were all seated.

EDIT: And if outdoor transmission isn't a thing, how did so many zoo animals catch it, and how is it running wild in deer populations?

RoboChrist 9000 fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Dec 12, 2021

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Pingui posted:

Just to contextualize Danish breakthrough numbers for the fully vaccinated, compared to the US it would correspond to ~194k cases (and yesterday was weekend numbers).

That's pure breakthrough numbers only? Lmao

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Cold on a Cob posted:

have any experts put forward the idea that omicron is "milder" only in the sense that many of the people it would have killed are already dead?

That would veer dangerously close to the question of why this has not yet happened with Delta. Fortunately COVID constantly resupplies the amount of people with preexisting conditions, so we never have to confront that reality :coronatoot:

mystes
May 31, 2006

Cold on a Cob posted:

I guess SA has had twice as many deaths per capita than the US but that in itself is still probably not nearly enough enough for there to be no at risk people compared to the other possible biases in the data.

mystes fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Dec 12, 2021

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

mastershakeman posted:

That's pure breakthrough numbers only? Lmao

That is pure breakthroughs with 80.7% fully vaccinated (83.6% partially) of the population age 5+ and 20.5% of total population boosted. With partially vaccinated you can add 10k on top (these are mostly kids).

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Pingui posted:

That is pure breakthroughs with 80.7% fully vaccinated (83.6% partially) of the population age 5+ and 20.5% of total population boosted. With partially vaccinated you can add 10k on top (these are mostly kids).

The Danes are mostly anti mask, right?

Also the world thanks you for your soon to be reported information on severity

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Dec 12, 2021

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Im not convinced any of the Pfizer v Moderna supposed differences are anything more than difference in the population cohorts for some reason, but if there is any real mechanistic difference it would probably stem from the adjuvant properties of the formulation, including the distribution curve of the lipid droplet size. Both the mRNA itself and the formulation allowing its delivery are new enough that there's probably some unknown factors in how the immune system is recognizing the vaccine

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

mastershakeman posted:

The Danes are mostly anti mask, right?

No, Denmark is currently under mask mandates. You can see the current rules in English here:
https://en.coronasmitte.dk/rules-and-regulations

Edit: Last changed November 29th.

Second edit: Clarification.

Pingui fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Dec 12, 2021

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

woke up at 6am with a fever, chills, and my entire body feeling sore as gently caress. lol hello Moderna

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God

Pingui posted:

No, Denmark is currently in progressive forms of lockdown. You can see the current rules in English here:
https://en.coronasmitte.dk/rules-and-regulations

Edit: Last changed November 29th.

quote:

Restaurants, cafés and bars

Face masks must be worn when not seated (employees are not required to wear face-masks if they can present a coronapassport when attending work).

Restaurants, bars and cafees must close from midnight to 5 AM.

lol

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Zeroisanumber posted:

And outdoors during winter is a less hospitable climate for viruses.

No one can agree on whether low humidity is good or bad.

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Wasn't the superspreader event where Trump and a lot of ghouls got the plague last year an outdoor party to celebrate the SCOTUS appointment? Like with the outdoor transmission being tracked so well we could tell who gave it to who by where they were all seated.

EDIT: And if outdoor transmission isn't a thing, how did so many zoo animals catch it, and how is it running wild in deer populations?

They said it was outdoors, but there were photos of them all indoors, soooooo…

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Dec 12, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

lmao at the line about how masks aren't required for vaccinated workers.