Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020

a foolish pianist posted:

I think the districts and politics of the city were important to some of the actions - the union activities, the ethnic enclaves, etc. all related to something important happening.

That holds for most of the neighborhoods but not the giant skeleton.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Kchama posted:

The idea that you're an inherently evil monster for having a bad writing philosophy is still outright wrong, and he was outright saying that.

He’s sort of right in that the belief it’s possible to fully comprehend the logic of the world has led to a lot of monstrous things, basically what I mean is read SEEING LIKE A STATE.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
Is acclaimed fanfiction "Fallout Equestria" a LitRPG? Every chapter ends with a new character perk gained by the MC.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Doom Mathematic posted:

How does a writer even come up with a place which feels like a real place where everything lines up according to its own logic unless they do a ton of behind the scenes worldbuilding?

yeah. they should do research and world building, but it needs to not be on the page. they need to make structure and not 10 billion words.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i guess generally speaking it's just another way of saying that I want to be shown and not told.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

i love being told tbh. lay that exposition on me. dont even have a plot, just sell me an encyclopedia for your made up universe

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Doom Mathematic posted:

How does a writer even come up with a place which feels like a real place where everything lines up according to its own logic unless they do a ton of behind the scenes worldbuilding?

Typically, you write.

To be less snarky, you sketch ideas and maybe a few sketched out concepts and themes, and then let your writing and the readers imagination give them flesh.

If you are writing a 30 page lore book, you've lost.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Aardvark! posted:

I'd just like to apologize to myself, Graydon Saunders, because I gave up on Commonweal about halfway through book 3.

Just started The 7 and a half deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle instead :q:

Curious to hear your thoughts on that, I ended up quite disappointed with it despite the fun premise.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Famethrowa posted:

Typically, you write.

To be less snarky, you sketch ideas and maybe a few sketched out concepts and themes, and then let your writing and the readers imagination give them flesh.

If you are writing a 30 page lore book, you've lost.

For some books, big disagree. Love to read setting books for tabletop rpgs and stuff. Imagining a place is really cool.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Doom Mathematic posted:

Maybe it's because I haven't read much fantasy, but in my experience the answer is that it more or less runs along the same lines of logic as the real world (usually just 500-1000 years in the past).

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
You just say that a wizard did it.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
No well told world should ever make sense. Almost nothing in the real world does, because it’s too complicated for us to deduce the logic behind it without either a ton of study or inherited cultural knowledge. The names of US states make sense to us because we’re familiar with them and their etymology, but from the perspective of “Fantasy Worldbuilding” they’re nonsense. What theme unites them? Why is Alaska not even connected to the others? What do the names say about the kind of people who live there? Shouldn’t the inhabitants of these States know the origins of the names and take pride in them? Why don’t the state boundaries follow natural barriers? Why are some states split arbitrarily into a north and south version, but others aren’t? These are basic worldbuilding errors.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

“The most politically important position in the royal court is the guy who wipes the king’s rear end” would get you laughed off Reddit.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Doom Mathematic posted:

I think it's fairly normal to just start writing your adventure and gradually think up and flesh out new places and cultures as it becomes necessary for your characters to encounter them

imo this is fine (there aren't that many people who can really pull off the Tolkien thing where the legendarium comes first) but it does produce a lot of what r/worldbuilding would identify as worldbuilding crimes, because you're not thinking everything through before you introduce it

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

one of my coworkers wants to write a book (not in my wheelhouse since it would be a progression fantasy) but has spent two years writing notes and ideas for the setting

i keep hollering at him to just start writing scenes and see what happens, but alas

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
I just had a compliment on the detail and depth of my worldbuilding which felt really odd to me because all I do is basically stick pins in a backstory wall and occasionally drape string between them, hopefully so the connections and backstory and deep lore pops out at you on a re-read. Like a puzzle the reader has to engage with. I've also been told my worldbuilding needs more infodumps and a more concrete "magic system." In conclusion, worldbuilding is a land of contrasts.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

PupsOfWar posted:

one of my coworkers wants to write a book (not in my wheelhouse since it would be a progression fantasy) but has spent two years writing notes and ideas for the setting

i keep hollering at him to just start writing scenes and see what happens, but alas
Enjoying coming up with a neat setting is fine, but yeah two years should be more than though.

It’s probably the case that some people would be better off writing/reading fantasy Wikipedia rather than a regular book.

Copernic
Sep 16, 2006

...A Champion, who by mettle of his glowing personal charm alone, saved the universe...
mods are asleep, lets worldbuild

E: i apologize that the labeling isn't in Exocet.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

since tabletop RPGs are back from the dead as a big hobby, there are by this point probably way more people who have experience with worldbuilding from the perspective of running a campaign for their pals rather than writing a book

in RPGs, notoriously the best worldbuilding practice is "idk, maybe sketch out some broad ideas but for the most part make it up as you go along", since you don't have full control over the direction of the narrative. Hypothetically you could start out the game with 15 pages of notes on caisson locks and trading tolls in a border province of a decaying empire that you want your adventure to take place in, but the odds are good that, three sessions in, your players will antagonize the wrong trickster god and get teleported to the moon, leaving you to go "wait, gently caress, I don't have any notes on the moon, I only have notes on this riverine trading network, which i can't simply adapt to the moon because i previously established the moon has no rivers in an offhand dialog"

it is probably not a good idea to approach a novel with quite that degree of ad lib, since you do have control over the direction of the narrative and should be approaching it with some forethought, but you don't want to be the "I have 800 pages of meticulously crafted notes, which I'll use for something someday!' author either

in summary my coworker should try being a DM

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Dec 13, 2021

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

I hope the brave men and women of The Sentinel Reach keep the bad worldbuilders out of Bookworld.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Copernic posted:

mods are asleep, lets worldbuild

E: i apologize that the labeling isn't in Exocet.

it's interesting that some of the placenames are in descriptive english and others in conlang

is this a colonized land where some of the names are remnant loanwords from the original culture

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

I hope the brave men and women of The Sentinel Reach keep the bad worldbuilders out of Bookworld.

it seems to me that Bookworld are positioned as the sinister antagonists here

that area is grey and is on the other side of a scary dark line - looks menacing to me!

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

FPyat posted:

All this talk of the implications of LitRPGs reminds me of the infamous post made by the author of Viriconium and Light.

Neat. Wonder how he feels about inventing a conlang as a political act :allears:

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Cicero posted:

It’s probably the case that some people would be better off writing/reading fantasy Wikipedia rather than a regular book.

I mean, there's crossover to an extent. A new Halo game is out and I left the franchise ten years ago but apparently it's good again, and so at work the other day (wouldn't have done this in my own time tbh) I had like 20 tabs open on Halopedia skim-reading about their insanely complex and detailed worldbuilding that was all reverse-engineered to fit a silly first person shooter from 2001. But I would never actually read a Halo novel. (Although - and if anyone knows it'll be here - wasn't one of the Halo novels written by someone who actually went on to be an acclaimed sci-fi writer? edit: I checked and it was Tobias S. Buckell and Greg Bear)

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

man whatever happened to tobias s buckell anyway

did briefly becoming a halo tie-in writer forever stymie his career??

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

I only ever read a few of his short stories, but looking at Wikipedia he released a novel this year which, very weirdly, is only in audiobook?

https://www.amazon.com/Stranger-Citadel-Tobias-S-Buckell/dp/1713646226

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

StrixNebulosa posted:

For some books, big disagree. Love to read setting books for tabletop rpgs and stuff. Imagining a place is really cool.

I will literally do this all day, settings, character guides, monster manuals, bestiaries, fake naturalist journals, starship guides, technical manuals, inject them into my veins! Yes I read real naturalist journals and guides to animals/plants/rocks/dinosaurs/invertebrates. Tracking down guides to protists was one of the first things that sent me to the adult sections of the libraries when I was like 7.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Same. I used to read the encyclopedia when I was a kid. I think as humans there's usually a certain desire to learn about the world, and for many of us our dumb meat brains don't distinguish between the real one and fake ones in terms of motivation.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

General Battuta posted:

He’s sort of right in that the belief it’s possible to fully comprehend the logic of the world has led to a lot of monstrous things, basically what I mean is read SEEING LIKE A STATE.

Maybe, but all he comes off like instead is that he wants to declare everyone who doesn't write in a way he likes to be literal war criminals.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

And the name of the shadow master behind those war criminals? You guessed it. Graydon Saunders.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

And the name of the shadow master behind those war criminals? You guessed it. Graydon Saunders.

Tell me more.

Also, are you ever going to return to Let's Reading the Expanse? Like, I don't like those books, but I enjoyed your thoughts on them and what you liked and didn't liked very much.

Bullet Proof
Sep 3, 2006
What were the hot new sff books this year?

The most recently released book I've read was Piranesi, which I loved, but I've otherwise spent the year reading older books.

e. I did actually listen to and really enjoy the black tongue thief. Currently reading between two fires atm

Bullet Proof fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Dec 13, 2021

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Ccs posted:

Speaking of Discworld I’ve started “Wee Free Men”. For some reason I skipped the Tiffany Aching books, probably because they were classified as YA, but it’s Pratchetts signature style just with a younger protagonist.

Pterry used to say that you could easily identify his children's novels because they were darker. Once you're done with Tiffany and can see again, check out Nation and Dodger.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Kchama posted:

Tell me more.

Also, are you ever going to return to Let's Reading the Expanse? Like, I don't like those books, but I enjoyed your thoughts on them and what you liked and didn't liked very much.

I was thinking about it as I threw my noodles in the recycler finished Leviathan Falls, actually. I stopped due to a one-two punch of my day job getting really busy and my realization that going chapter-by-chapter was making me lose my mind. My thought was to break each update into 4-5 chunks of chapters and talk more broadly, so, this is a good reminder to do it. Thanks!

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Jedit posted:

Pterry used to say that you could easily identify his children's novels because they were darker. Once you're done with Tiffany and can see again, check out Nation and Dodger.

I never really understood why Tiffany was YA.
And Amazing Maurice is amongst his darker works.

Bullet Proof posted:

The most recently released book I've read was Piranesi, which I loved, but I've otherwise spent the year reading older books.

Just finished Piranesi.
Amazing world building, great story and just 220 pages. I have read authors that wrote less of a story in 4x the pages.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

I was thinking about it as I threw my noodles in the recycler finished Leviathan Falls, actually. I stopped due to a one-two punch of my day job getting really busy and my realization that going chapter-by-chapter was making me lose my mind. My thought was to break each update into 4-5 chunks of chapters and talk more broadly, so, this is a good reminder to do it. Thanks!

No problem! I hope breaking it into chunks works better for you. Your Let's Read was very enjoyable, even from my perspective as a book-disliker, so you should be proud either way. I think I might go back and read the thread, too.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

General Battuta posted:

Everyone should read seeing like a state, but I still don’t see what he’s got against Tolkien.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Bullet Proof posted:

e. I did actually listen to and really enjoy the black tongue thief. Currently reading between two fires atm

Bone Ships trilogy comes to mind!

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Beefeater1980 posted:

Everyone should read seeing like a state, but I still don’t see what he’s got against Tolkien.

Come on, you know exactly what. Tom Bombadill. The Silmarillion. If you don't see it I don't know what to tell you.

Dude's done enough worldbuilding that it's clear that he's responsible for every genocide dating back to WW1.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Bullet Proof posted:

StrixNebulosa posted:

Bone Ships trilogy comes to mind!

The above + Eriksons "The god is not willing" were the most enjoyable books for me this year.
Abercrombies last book as well, when I think about it.

Currently trying to get the motivation to get back to "The girl with all the gifts" but I am quite tired of the whole zombie apocalypse setting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sweet Hereafter
Jan 11, 2010

Nomnom Cookie posted:

i love being told tbh. lay that exposition on me. dont even have a plot, just sell me an encyclopedia for your made up universe

Oh god, does Christopher Tolkien have alts in here now?

As for recent sci-fi, technically it was last year but The Old Drift is one of the best books I've read in ages. From this year, I really enjoyed Winter's Orbit and A Psalm For The Wild Built but most of this year's reading has been older books.

Speaking of older books, I started reading Jack Glass by Adam Roberts and I'm surprised I haven't seen him come up in here before. I only knew him as the author of pointless spoof The Soddit, but Jack Glass is brilliant so far. I've already ordered Yellow Blue Tibia to read next.