Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Wang Commander posted:

Any advice on K40s? If I move to a bigger garage, I want to get one. What can it cut?

I've cut 3mm ply and 3mm acrylic without issue. I really think the bread and butter of that machine is engraving slate. Diodes can do it, too, but I engrave slate coasters at 150mm/sec and they come out great.

My other favorite bit is zapping the anodizing off of aluminum. Once you get it dialed in, they look amazing. You can also engrave glass, which I'm not sure a diode can do? Additionally, all the diodes, since they use visible light (CO2 is infrared) recommend dark colored acrylic. You can engrave/cut clear acrylic just fine in a K40.

Just beware on the materials you cut, especially pleather and vinyl. Anything PVC based will provide you with a very bad time. The keyword to search for is PU (PolyUrethane) for that stuff, as it won't release chlorine and HCl gas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Any recommendations for a wash & cure station for a Saturn? I wanted to make sure I could get this printing before I jumped into post processing automation but I have more money than time and am interested in keeping things are hands off uncured resin as I can. I was eyeballing the Creality Wash and Cure Station UW-02 but wasn't sure if the different brand would make a difference for anything. I don't think the build plate would fit in it even if the connectors were compatible so that's a moot issue.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

My Mars3 sounds like a rusty door every layer. Any recommendations on grease/oil for it?

Hekk posted:

Any recommendations for a wash & cure station for a Saturn? I wanted to make sure I could get this printing before I jumped into post processing automation but I have more money than time and am interested in keeping things are hands off uncured resin as I can. I was eyeballing the Creality Wash and Cure Station UW-02 but wasn't sure if the different brand would make a difference for anything. I don't think the build plate would fit in it even if the connectors were compatible so that's a moot issue.
I got the Anycubic one (the "Plus" I think it's called). I also have a smaller elegoo one which is ok, but since you're printing on a Saturn I'd definitely say to go for the larger one. The anycubic one is really nice and I have no complaints.

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

InternetJunky posted:

My Mars3 sounds like a rusty door every layer. Any recommendations on grease/oil for it?

I use sewing machine oil on my printers’ lead screws

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

AlexDeGruven posted:

I've cut 3mm ply and 3mm acrylic without issue.

Yup, these 2 are also what I mainly use it for. 3mm cast acrylic in addition to cheap-rear end acrylic I get from home depot. I've also cut stencils for spraypaint out of Mylar sheets. Never really thought about glass engraving; I will have to try that.

I also burned a divot in my thumb while aligning the mirrors when I first got it and was being loving careless. At least it wasn't anything worse but that was so stupid of me. Soon after that, I put the leaf switch on the door so it's less likely to happen again.

edit: Actually, I just remembered I did try to engrave a cheap mirror I got from the Dollar Tree and it cracked the hell out of it when I first got it and was less experienced. Probably could reduce the power/increase the speed but I didn't really try much after that. I try to use as little power as I can and make multiple passes to make the tube last as long as possible.

I kinda put it on the backburner for over a year now as I've gotten distracted with other stuff. Mine uses these magnetic metal spikes that you can configure to hold the workpiece up off the solid metal bed. I would like a mesh one but I have not gotten around to it and aligning the mirrors is such a pain that I'd rather just use the spikes and avoid borking it up in the process of switching it out.

I use a Raspberry Pi 2 with an old LCD monitor as the controller and some piece of software that I can't remember.

Unperson_47 fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Dec 14, 2021

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Oops, forgot to turn supports back on but somehow it's printed a 10cm horizontal span almost perfectly. 0.8mm nozzles really do feel like a cheat code.

(Actually I think the reason it worked is that my hotend struggles to keep the temperature up when printing at full speed with a 0.8mm nozzle so the filament came out a little undertemp and underextruded and so didn't really sag - I'll be interested to see how strong this print actually turns out)

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Update - it was *extremely* strong, but unfortunately not watertight which is a bit of an issue for a flowerpot. Makes sense as it did sag very slightly, so wasn't actually bound to the next layer in the middle, but there was still more than enough meat around it that even smacking it with a hammer wasn't enough to break it (obviously as it was leaking it was useless so I took the opportunity to run some destruction testing on it)

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

I'm a fan of smearing the inside of printed flower pots with wood glue to get them water tight. Its way quicker than trying to get print settings good enough to be perfectly water tight (lots and lots of places for pinholes to exist!)

snail
Sep 25, 2008

CHEESE!

Dr. Despair posted:

I'm a fan of smearing the inside of printed flower pots with wood glue to get them water tight. Its way quicker than trying to get print settings good enough to be perfectly water tight (lots and lots of places for pinholes to exist!)

Wood glue, as in PVA, or something else? I wouldn't have thought PVA would have worked well enough.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I think both Titebond 2 and 3 are waterproof

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

snail posted:

Wood glue, as in PVA, or something else? I wouldn't have thought PVA would have worked well enough.

PVA worked fine for sealing the edges of the planks I used to build my outdoor planters, but for that matter the previous pots I've printed (4 walls of 0.4mm, .2mm layer height) haven't shown any inclination to leak either, although they were very simple round shapes.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

hi I need to a 1 off part printed out of something water resistant like petg, still designing it but it's basically a 260mm diameter ring, about 20mm thick. Does anyone have a bed that size by chance?

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

InternetJunky posted:

I got the Anycubic one (the "Plus" I think it's called). I also have a smaller elegoo one which is ok, but since you're printing on a Saturn I'd definitely say to go for the larger one. The anycubic one is really nice and I have no complaints.

Thanks for this. I bought the plus directly from the anycubic site for 209 bucks shipped.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Google Butt posted:

hi I need to a 1 off part printed out of something water resistant like petg, still designing it but it's basically a 260mm diameter ring, about 20mm thick. Does anyone have a bed that size by chance?

I do. I'm in Canada, though, so it may be easier on shipping to find someone more local? There should be a few around here.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Do any Canadians know of companies that reliably put resin printers up on boxing day sales?

I've been wanting to buy for a while now, and a friend reminded me of boxing day coming up, and figured that might be an excellent time to do so. It'll mostly be used for printing 28mm minis.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Fashionable Jorts posted:

Do any Canadians know of companies that reliably put resin printers up on boxing day sales?

I've been wanting to buy for a while now, and a friend reminded me of boxing day coming up, and figured that might be an excellent time to do so. It'll mostly be used for printing 28mm minis.

This past year I've returned more than 10 resin printers back to Amazon within the return window they offer. I can't stress enough what a lifesaver this ability was. As much as I hate supporting Amazon, resin printers seem to be held together with gum and shoestring and the ability to send one back if there's issues is invaluable.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Anycubic has been running some sweet deals on Ebay. Free shipping, tax included.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Just as another data point, I have had literally zero problems with my Photon Mono since I got it a year ago. I leveled the bed once in the initial setup and haven't adjusted it since. I printed a couple of things with too few supports that ended up deformed, but not a single print has failed.

Knock on wood and all, but it's been an extremely reliable and easy to use machine. With a little configuration and a third-party converter, you can even use PrusaSlicer with it, which is way better than the Photon Workshop software.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

ImplicitAssembler posted:

I do. I'm in Canada, though, so it may be easier on shipping to find someone more local? There should be a few around here.

Dang okay, hopefully someone pops up! Thanks anyway

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

InternetJunky posted:

This past year I've returned more than 10 resin printers back to Amazon within the return window they offer. I can't stress enough what a lifesaver this ability was. As much as I hate supporting Amazon, resin printers seem to be held together with gum and shoestring and the ability to send one back if there's issues is invaluable.

Oh that is a very good point. I also hate buying from them (especially big purchases), but it's very hard to beat the return policy.

Anycubic has been running some sweet deals on Ebay. Free shipping, tax included.

Sagebrush posted:

Just as another data point, I have had literally zero problems with my Photon Mono since I got it a year ago. I leveled the bed once in the initial setup and haven't adjusted it since. I printed a couple of things with too few supports that ended up deformed, but not a single print has failed.

Knock on wood and all, but it's been an extremely reliable and easy to use machine. With a little configuration and a third-party converter, you can even use PrusaSlicer with it, which is way better than the Photon Workshop software.

Okay, the Photon Mono is $159 right now for the base model. That seems too good to be true.

Edit: probably USD, which is still only $200 in moosebux

Edit edit: I tried start an order just to see how much shipping would be, and their website thinks my address isn't real lol

Fashionable Jorts fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Dec 15, 2021

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Oh that is a very good point. I also hate buying from them (especially big purchases), but it's very hard to beat the return policy.

Okay, the Photon Mono is $159 right now for the base model. That seems too good to be true.

Edit: probably USD, which is still only $200 in moosebux

Edit edit: I tried start an order just to see how much shipping would be, and their website thinks my address isn't real lol

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/303804478386?hash=item46bc2873b2:g:TnIAAOSwhkdfxIm~

I only see the Mono SE, which is what I got. It's really worth spending the extra and getting the Wash & Cure station.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

I only see the Mono SE, which is what I got. It's really worth spending the extra and getting the Wash & Cure station.

I was looking at the official website. That is a drat good bundle with the wash & cure station, thanks for the recommend!

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Since you have one, I'll shoot this question your way. I have cats that love investigating noises (any time I print something or use my die cutter one of them jumps on the desk to see whats happening). How resistant to mild shaking is the printer? I doubt the cats would touch the machine itself, my only worry is the initial "thud" of a housecat jumping on the same desk.

I'm sure I could set something up to keep them away if needed, but I'd prefer to run the machine on my existing work station.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Don't worry, the smell of the resin will drive them away.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Since you have one, I'll shoot this question your way. I have cats that love investigating noises (any time I print something or use my die cutter one of them jumps on the desk to see whats happening). How resistant to mild shaking is the printer? I doubt the cats would touch the machine itself, my only worry is the initial "thud" of a housecat jumping on the same desk.

I'm sure I could set something up to keep them away if needed, but I'd prefer to run the machine on my existing work station.

As long as they aren't actually whacking the printer, it should be fine.
Also, you really don't want to be next to it when printing and need good ventilation, etc.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

As long as they aren't actually whacking the printer, it should be fine.
Also, you really don't want to be next to it when printing and need good ventilation, etc.

Okay, thats good to know. It'll be set up in the basement far away from people, I was just worried that if I leave it to print unsupervised it'll misprint due to cat harassment.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I maintain that resin printers are not really household devices. If you have a garage or basement workshop (with some sort of temperature control and ventilation), sure, that's an appropriate place to operate one. Maybe reasonable for a craft room in your house if you have strong ventilation and air filtration. I would not run a resin printer in a bedroom, on a kitchen counter, in an office where you sit all day, or anything like that.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Okay, thats good to know. It'll be set up in the basement far away from people, I was just worried that if I leave it to print unsupervised it'll misprint due to cat harassment.

All this is going to do is send whatever is output by your printer throughout the ventilation system in the house (where is your furnace/etc.?).

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Put the printer in an enclosure and add a simple exhaust out the window using an inline fan

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

biracial bear for uncut posted:

All this is going to do is send whatever is output by your printer throughout the ventilation system in the house (where is your furnace/etc.?).

Theres a not-complete bathroom down there with a ceiling vent fan that i'm 90% sure dumps its exhaust right outside. If it doesn't, I'll cannibalize the fan to blow the fumes out the basement window.

I'll check where the air flows to when it's not -30° lol

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Enclosures can also be made cat proof, many are saying

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Google Butt posted:

Enclosures can also be made cat proof, many are saying

The voices saying that are cats who want the challenge.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

Got a box from the Czech Republic! I grabbed some stuff to take advantage of the free shipping on $200+ deal a couple weeks ago. Satin textured sheet, a few rolls of Prusament PETG and a roll of black Prusament PC blend, and a handful of different nozzle sizes to play with.

Not like I have any free time anymore, but this should keep me tinkering for a while.

Any ideas for good uses for the PC blend? The stuff is pricey so I don't exactly want to waste it, but the high strength should be useful for some projects.

Wang Commander
Dec 27, 2003

by sebmojo
I'm just interested in how the PC blend actually prints

smax
Nov 9, 2009

Wang Commander posted:

I'm just interested in how the PC blend actually prints

Benchy will be the first thing, I'm curious too.

Admittedly, I've been having print quality problems lately so I'm still working some things out using cheap filament, but I think I had an epiphany today. Pretty sure my enclosure has been holding in too much heat, leading to curling edges hitting the hotend and causing general mayhem. I've been printing a giant articulated slug with the front flap of the enclosure open all day today, opening it up seems to have done the trick for now.

Edit: Might have to destructively test the Benchy too, just to see what it can take...

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

GIANT FRIENDLY SLUG TEAM GO

smax
Nov 9, 2009

Bad Munki posted:

GIANT FRIENDLY SLUG TEAM GO

This one's going into a white elephant exchange tomorrow.

Next one's going to be in Prusament Transparent Ultramarine Blue, and I'm going to angle it to get the most out of the print bed possible. I think I can make one about 10.5" or a little bigger.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Are you using the “enlarged curled” model? If you’re using the original straight one, consider the curled one instead, might allow you to go even bigger!

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5091680

e: with the curled one, I was comfortably able to make him 11” long and I think in theory could go up to like 13 or so, but that’s on my Rostock which really gets the most out of round shapes like that.

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Dec 16, 2021

smax
Nov 9, 2009

Bad Munki posted:

Are you using the “enlarged curled” model? If you’re using the original straight one, consider the curled one instead, might allow you to go even bigger!

e: with the curled one, I was comfortably able to make him 11” long and I think in theory could go up to like 13 or so, but that’s on my Rostock which really gets the most out of round shapes like that.

I thought it might be possible to do something like that with this model. The kiddo really wants one now, so I might go ahead and go all out for the next one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Bad Munki posted:

I knew it was this one. I tried it in the past but this rainbow PLA doesn't like the tight tolerances.

I happen to have it loaded up, and scaling it up to largeHuge might make it work better. Time to check cura