Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

Rand Brittain posted:

I feel like Gideon's remarks on "Nonagesimitis" in Harrow indicate pretty strongly that she is definitely romantically interested in Harrowhark, but thinks she has no chance, because she is alive and not dead.

Oh yeah. Just the way she was able to empathize with Ianthe and the one thing that snapped her out of her initial ‘do everything Harrow hates so she gets mad and comes back to her body’ rage was her pretending how Harrow had a crush on her definitely pinged my “unrequited attraction” radar. And the fact that Harrow’s visions of meeting Gideon in a series of meet cutes hinted at a little bit of reciprocity on Harrow’s part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
No you see Harrow and Gideon are actually cousins

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

I think it's fine that there is subtext and I hope Muir doesn't feel the pressure to raise it into the text. It's good representation as it stands currently.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

DreamingofRoses posted:

Oh yeah. Just the way she was able to empathize with Ianthe and the one thing that snapped her out of her initial ‘do everything Harrow hates so she gets mad and comes back to her body’ rage was her pretending how Harrow had a crush on her definitely pinged my “unrequited attraction” radar. And the fact that Harrow’s visions of meeting Gideon in a series of meet cutes hinted at a little bit of reciprocity on Harrow’s part.

I think Gideon wants the reverse of the Urban Fantasy thread title. She wants more group (girls-only) sex and less necromancy.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
That just sounds like the start of a witch coven

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

Everyone posted:

I think Gideon wants the reverse of the Urban Fantasy thread title. She wants more group (girls-only) sex and less necromancy.

Fair.

M_Gargantua posted:

That just sounds like the start of a witch coven

Accurate.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
FWIW, Gideon The Ninth is the book that made me realize “ohh, I get why people are into fanfic now”.

Which is funnier after you read Harrow the Ninth.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

DreamingofRoses posted:

Oh yeah. And the fact that Harrow’s visions of meeting Gideon in a series of meet cutes hinted at a little bit of reciprocity on Harrow’s part.

I thought that Harrow's set of constantly revised "meet cute" visions in Harrow the Ninth were with Abigail Pent and her husband going "Cute. try again though", not that other person you mentioned.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

They were, but then she got served coffee by said person and they were like absolutely not!

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

quantumfoam posted:

I thought that Harrow's set of constantly revised "meet cute" visions in Harrow the Ninth were with Abigail Pent and her husband going "Cute. try again though", not that other person you mentioned.

To be fair, there’s only one actual “meet cute” in the series where Gideon is the barista. The other two are basically dead-on romance book set ups which is why I really wish there was more about the marriage ball.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

mdemone posted:

I think it's fine that there is subtext and I hope Muir doesn't feel the pressure to raise it into the text. It's good representation as it stands currently.

I sincerely doubt that fandom pressure will be the reason Muir raises it into text, should that happen.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Senerio posted:

I sincerely doubt that fandom pressure will be the reason Muir raises it into text, should that happen.

One thing that strikes me is that while Gideon might be (and probably is) attracted to Harrow, she's not attracted only to Harrow (she even hit Ianthe with a semi-joking marriage proposal). Meanwhile Harrow might well have some feelings for Gideon, but she's also still pretty "ride and/or die" for The Body.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Everyone posted:

One thing that strikes me is that while Gideon might be (and probably is) attracted to Harrow, she's not attracted only to Harrow (she even hit Ianthe with a semi-joking marriage proposal). Meanwhile Harrow might well have some feelings for Gideon, but she's also still pretty "ride and/or die" for The Body.

I'm not sure if Harrow is actually interested in pursuing a relationship with the Corse of the Locked Tomb. I mean, what would that even look like?

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Rand Brittain posted:

I'm not sure if Harrow is actually interested in pursuing a relationship with the Corse of the Locked Tomb. I mean, what would that even look like?

Don't we see at least a little bit of that in Harrow the Ninth with Harrow's conversations with The Body? Maybe those are just wishful hallucinations by Harrow, but I think it's more likely that when Harrow breached the Locked Tomb (via having Gideon's blood on her) Alecto/The Body formed some kind of psychic connection or something with Harrow. If there's a connection between them, it could become a romantic/sexual connection eventually.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

I could not imagine the layout being different.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
The platonic ideal of that meme is still the KOTH version though

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

Rand Brittain posted:

I think it’s far closer to a religious idolization/worship definitely.

Edit to avoid double post: it’s the dumbest thing but I will never not laugh at the dumb barista/bari-star apparent joke build up in Harrow

DreamingofRoses fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Nov 24, 2021

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Three for the gleam of a jewel or an updoot

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
The good news is we have a release date, AND A COVER REVEAL PROMISED FOR JANUARY, the bad news is the release date is nine (hah!) months from now. :negative:

https://twitter.com/TorDotComPub/status/1470868704321839105?s=20

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

God damnit that's a long loving time

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
There's also a summary:

quote:

Her city is under siege.

The zombies are coming back.

And all Nona wants is a birthday party.

In many ways, Nona is like other people. She lives with her family, has a job at her local school, and loves walks on the beach and meeting new dogs. But Nona's not like other people. Six months ago she woke up in a stranger's body, and she's afraid she might have to give it back.

The whole city is falling to pieces. A monstrous blue sphere hangs on the horizon, ready to tear the planet apart. Blood of Eden forces have surrounded the last Cohort facility and wait for the Emperor Undying to come calling. Their leaders want Nona to be the weapon that will save them from the Nine Houses. Nona would prefer to live an ordinary life with the people she loves, with Pyrrha and Camilla and Palamedes, but she also knows that nothing lasts forever.

And each night, Nona dreams of a woman with a skull-painted face...

Interesting that the people she loves includes Palamedes and not Judith.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
It's a long wait but at least it's something. It'll definitely be cool see the world beyond the Nine Houses and how all of that gets fleshed out.

Absolutely stoked for that cover reveal :kimchi:

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012
Get iiiiiin. Never been so hyped about a book, honestly. I'm gifting Gideon to my partner this Christmas to eventually get her to finally read it. She has a lot of sci-fi classics on her reading pile already and I don't have the right words (beyond repeating my endless praise and love for the books) to compel her to put it on top. But I hope she will get around to it next year and finally realize that space necromancy is glorious.

Oenis fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Dec 15, 2021

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

My boy Sex Pal is doing fine

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

Oenis posted:

Get iiiiiin. Never been so hyped about a book, honestly. I'm gifting Gideon to my partner this Christmas to eventually get her to finally read it. She has a lot of sci-fi classics on her reading pile already and I don't have the right words (beyond repeating my endless praise and love for the books) to compel her to put it on top. But I hope she will get around to it next year and finally realize that space necromancy is glorious.

It took me forever to pick it up because the cover blurb "teenage lesbian necromancers in space!" made it sound so incredibly puerile or exploitative. It took until I was bored and the library had a copy before I tried it.

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

Entropic posted:

The good news is we have a release date, AND A COVER REVEAL PROMISED FOR JANUARY, the bad news is the release date is nine (hah!) months from now. :negative:

https://twitter.com/TorDotComPub/status/1470868704321839105?s=20

Well, I know what I’m asking for on my birthday. (Literally releases right before, happy birthday to me.)

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

wait there's 4 books now?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

PupsOfWar posted:

wait there's 4 books now?

Yep, that was announced earlier this year.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Notahippie posted:

It took me forever to pick it up because the cover blurb "teenage lesbian necromancers in space!" made it sound so incredibly puerile or exploitative. It took until I was bored and the library had a copy before I tried it.

Stross heard "write a blurb for Gideon" and thought they meant a blurb for Gideon.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Resurrecting a dead horse here (but that’s totally in keeping): in my view re relationship between Gid and Harrow:

I have no idea what you are all smoking: it’s a very classic romance, including that it’s massively unhealthy and codependent and all kinds of hosed up. I love it and want them all to be happy together and like have a hosed up marriage and sleep with other people and cope with the fallout, but then I love this kind of drama in fiction.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
I want Gideon to be stationed somewhere by mistake with the regiment of the fifth with the biggest titties, every one of them, just absolutely enormous boobs almost as big as Gideon's eyes as they bulge out every time the next soldier walks in.

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012

Notahippie posted:

Yeah I think exactly this is what makes her hesitant too. I already tried to explain to her that the lesbian necromancer romance (which she cares little about, she's more into hard sci-fi) is not exactly at the forefront of this and it's more like a whodunnit in an incredibly interesting setting with, uh, ... ⁿᵉᶜʳᵒᵐᵃⁿᶜʸ ᵗʰʳᵒᵘᵍʰ ˢᶜⁱᵉⁿᶜᵉ.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Notahippie posted:

smh

i got my cousin's entire roller-derby team to read it using that blurb

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

PupsOfWar posted:

smh

i got my cousin's entire roller-derby team to read it using that blurb

Between this and 90's Cringe Rock's comment I have a sudden image of a Locked Tomb AU where all the houses are rollerderby teams.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Notahippie posted:

Between this and 90's Cringe Rock's comment I have a sudden image of a Locked Tomb AU where all the houses are rollerderby teams.

They're an important aspect of a mildly trashy shape shifter romance series and yeah that would completely work.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Notahippie posted:

I guarantee you this exists on AO3

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
Sharing this for the placeholder cover

https://chillyweirdoinacoffin.tumblr.com/post/670971795801767936/more-non-spoilery-early-thoughts-from-an

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Using that as the actual cover would be *such* a power move

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alopex
May 31, 2012

This is the sleeve I have chosen.

Entropic posted:

I guarantee you this exists on AO3

There is and it is titled "Talk Derby to Me"