Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Choose your class!
Gourmet Fighter
Sauce Wizard
Spice Thief
Condiment Cleric
View Results

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Being a mage with linked familiar in Dungeon Meshi really, really sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I want to see a world were Laios became the dungeon master and just nitpicked the demon to death because it couldn't get the monsters or their ecology right.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
The Dungeon would be quiet for years, then inexplicable turn into a crab.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
The dungeon would be completely empty as Laios perpetually fine tunes the creatures that should be inhabiting it, but never releases them because they're "not done"

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
laios reveals some of his designs and they look suspiciously similar to modern day cryptids

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Snooze Cruise posted:

laios reveals some of his designs and they look suspiciously similar to modern day cryptids

An early draft:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cq9IKsH9BXg

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

That anime about contractors designing animals for god is actually a Dungeon Meshi spinoff.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
canaries: "let us perform our intricate and powerful magicks !"
laios: "this reminds me of the time i gave myself intestinal parasites!"

like, how much would it suck to have to deal with that guy?

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

canaries: "let us perform our intricate and powerful magicks !"
laios: "this reminds me of the time i gave myself intestinal parasites!"

like, how much would it suck to have to deal with that guy?

Laios’s monster obsession leading him to be extremely competent is a very good development

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
In fairness even without Laios' unique trains of thought there's still a fair chance of any adventurer attempting to hack, squirm, or otherwise attack their way out.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Pureauthor posted:

In fairness even without Laios' unique trains of thought there's still a fair chance of any adventurer attempting to hack, squirm, or otherwise attack their way out.

Yeah uh if them being rowdy was that debilitating I'm not sure I want to see what it would look like in the same scenario if the trapped party just started hacking and stabbing.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

New chapter from the Adventurer's Bible

Thistles backstory is incredibly cute.

Ethiser fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Nov 24, 2021

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
chibi thistle is powerful

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
I hope The End of All Things appears in the main series. :allears:

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Lt. Lizard posted:

I hope The End of All Things appears in the main series. :allears:

Is this really the kind of thing you should be summoning?

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

There's not much eating on the main crew so it won't stick around for long.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
After that backstory, I feel like Thistle and Laius could have had a lovely chat about dungeon ecology under different circumstances.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Dunno, Thistle seems like he really just wanted to summon a bunch of cool monsters for his cool dungeon and is pretty miffed that he has to deal with the whole "dungeon ecology" thing.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Thistle seems to have more in common with Marcille

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

https://mangadex.org/chapter/5a045942-6f90-4a07-b240-f6a293745f9a/

She just wants her friends to live as long as she will

Marciiiiiiiiille :cry:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Lol laios

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Oh no!

The manga's taking a break for January

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Ah, fantastic. So he's basically the Orz from Star Control. That's more than a bit ominous.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Uh I’m starting to think something suspect might be going on with this winged lion.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Ethiser posted:

Uh I’m starting to think something suspect might be going on with this winged lion.

Nah, absolutely not. Where did you even get that idea? Dude's completely on the up and up.

Also he's hot. Hot people are always good.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Mikl posted:

Also he's hot. Hot people are always good.

He (It? They?) has definitely some very nice legs. :heysexy:

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

The panelwork is really good this chapter.

The Winged Lion keeps breaking out of the panel boundaries and coming in from the 'edge' of the page, which really helps contribute to the sense of otherworldly wrongness.

And the part where Laios looks over and sees the rest of the party's 'This is a horrible idea' face was also really striking by breaking each face into each panel

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
woah, so many good marcille faces

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
also i love how many hairstyles she has gone through now during the course of this series.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Marcille's really starting to worry me. :allears: Playing on these kinds of desires and compulsions is part and parcel for demons. And if she has potential to turn the entire world into a dungeon...

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
was the ancient race always known about? feels like a really weird, important bit of lore to drop just like that

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

dragon enthusiast posted:

was the ancient race always known about? feels like a really weird, important bit of lore to drop just like that

What do you mean? Marcille mentions ancient times, and an ancient war, but I didnt see mention of an ancient race?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Jerkface posted:

What do you mean? Marcille mentions ancient times, and an ancient war, but I didnt see mention of an ancient race?

The closest thing to an "ancient race" is the statement that all the long-lived races used to live for about 1000 years at one point.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Pureauthor posted:

The Winged Lion keeps breaking out of the panel boundaries and coming in from the 'edge' of the page, which really helps contribute to the sense of otherworldly wrongness.

And the part where Laios looks over and sees the rest of the party's 'This is a horrible idea' face was also really striking by breaking each face into each panel

yep it's real good

I really noticed it first with this shot, it's so specifically "off the page, going INTO the panel" sort of thing

Alopex
May 31, 2012

This is the sleeve I have chosen.

Pureauthor posted:

I went back to check on that Lion and drat he really is popping out all over the place! Marcille’s putting the top of her head into other panels pretty frequently, too, which fits the overbearing elfy qualities she’s doubling down on.

Alopex fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Dec 16, 2021

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

Legs for days

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Stupid sexy demon

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012
I'm a little surprised that the whole party immediately rejected the idea of a life-expectancy of 1000 years. Like, not even one of them was tempted? I know in many other works of fiction (and there are examples in history too), there are people who would make any sacrifice in the name of immortality. 1000 years might not be forever, but from the perspective of a human, (or especially a halfling, which only lives to age 40) it may as well be. Especially Chilchak, who has only another ~15 years or so, he really isn't tempted by the prospect?

Does being a dungeon master in and of itself warp a person? Or is that people show their true colors when given access to the ultimate power?

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Nebrilos posted:

Especially Chilchak, who has only another ~15 years or so, he really isn't tempted by the prospect?

Imagine being a year or two away from retirement and then suddenly having to work another 800+ years before getting it...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

Nebrilos posted:

I'm a little surprised that the whole party immediately rejected the idea of a life-expectancy of 1000 years. Like, not even one of them was tempted?

Consider the long-lived people they have met on this adventure. Thistle? Insane, tried to kill them. The humans trapped by Thistle? Miserable. The Canaries? Arrogant, unreasonable, tried to kill them. Et cetera, et cetera. Not a lot of good immortal role models. Wouldn't wanna be like them either.