Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
I wish GW would recruit Henry Cavill (another not-so-secret warham) to do something but they probably can't afford him.

I bet he would make an amazing Custodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

Ech I reckon they could probably get him to do some voice-acting for spare change. Or they could at least get him on warhammer+ battle report

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

Gav Thorpe in Wolftime posted:

Look upon that fearsome wall! Surely no other defense has ever borne such vicious fangs. Careful, sons of Fenris, this beast may bite!

Grimnar may be joking as he says this about an ork barricade, but how the gently caress do you write this with a straight face?

Thorpe's also doing this thing where I think he's trying to make transhumans more nuanced, but in reality he's describing Grimnar's retinue as hesitant and easily intimidated in battle. Of all the flaws to give to the most high-ranking space vikings, he gave them... unrecklessness?

Anyway, back to reading this train wreck...

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

notaspy posted:

Jean Paul Gaultier was, and still is, a megastar in his own right but he still did Eurotrash.

Comparing the work of absurdist art that is Eurotrash to Warhammer fiction is unfair, Warhammer 40k never gets that weird

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Wait until I release my book about a slaaneshi demon princess called Lala Forrori.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Z the IVth posted:

I wish GW would recruit Henry Cavill (another not-so-secret warham) to do something but they probably can't afford him.

He's publicly stated a few times that its one of his dreams to be in a big 40k adaptation. I wouldn't have thought a Witcher series would be able to afford him either but he was instrumental in getting it off the ground in the first place, so who knows.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Covermeinsunshine posted:

Hmm I wanted to get Volpone Glory. Should I skip it based on track record? Haven't read anything from him

The Volpone Bluebloods are a regiment of noble snobs who first showed up in the Gaunt's Ghosts novels where they were grudging rivals with with Tanith First and Only. They were a fun group who pulled their weight when it counted.

Then Nick Kyme got his hands on them for a short story in the first Sabbat Worlds anthology book and proceeded to do absolutely nothing interesting or with them for ten years.

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

Z the IVth posted:

I can honestly see him as the Emperor

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

hopterque posted:

He's publicly stated a few times that its one of his dreams to be in a big 40k adaptation. I wouldn't have thought a Witcher series would be able to afford him either but he was instrumental in getting it off the ground in the first place, so who knows.

Could you imagine how much of a pain in the rear end it would be to be the director when your lead is a hardcore Warhammer nerd?

D: "Henry, I need you to do that downwards swooshing motion with your sword as Frank tackles..."
H: "It's a chainsword Steve, it goes WHIRRRRR not swoosh"
D: "Ok Henry, when you whirr the sword downward as Frank ta..."
H: "Shouldn't Frank have more service studs? I mean he's suppo..."
D: "HENRY, FOCUS!"

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Dog_Meat posted:

It's obvious: he's Horus.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Horus and Abaddon.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Azubah posted:

Horus and Abaddon.

And Little Horus, and like half of the entire legion haha.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Zudgemud posted:

H: "Shouldn't Frank have more service studs? I mean he's suppo..."

Ok, ridiculous pet peeve time about something that was clearly just meant to be cool and never given much thought:

Wouldn't service studs be uncomfortable as gently caress? The face is full of muscles which constantly move and contract the skin, having a bunch of glorified 2cm rivets nailing your brow skin to your skull would make it hard to even frown (and boy do Space Marines frown a lot), you'd be constantly tearing and healing the skin around them until it's a mess of scar tissue.

At the far side of the temples they should be OK, but for example Titus in the new trailer has them just barely above his eye. Wanna bet that as soon as a cinematic has him grimacing or glowering, those studs are going to move with the skin like regular piercings, because it would look off otherwise, and nobody except weirdos like me will be bothered by it 'nooo it's supposed to be drilled into the skull'?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Maybe they nail you into a perma-frown?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Z the IVth posted:

I think the new Blade Champion mini is modelled on him.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

D-Pad posted:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/12/15/incoming-new-tales-of-the-astra-militarum

New Krieg novel from the Dead Men Walking author. Also a Catachan jungle fighters novel!

The Dead Man Walking author whose first BL book was one about Catachan Jungle Fighters no less. :v:

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Dog_Meat posted:

He does seem to glow with some sort of holy radiance...

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!
Supposedly Nick Kyme is a good editor, so it seems they keep him around for that and just let him write on the side.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Reese Witherspoon had a policy of "one for Hollywood, one for me" when taking on projects and I can see Henry being able to do the same. He has probably made all the money from playing superman so can do whatever he likes at this point.

He should do something with Vin Diesel, who is also meant to be an Omega level nerd too.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

A mainstream war hammer movie would be like hundreds of millions . And rated R. I doubt we ever see one.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Dog_Meat posted:

He's made a reference to wanting to play Constantin Valdor, so I think that would be perfect. (not to mention Custodes are his tabletop army)

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

The emperor should be played by a dozen extremelyhandsome actors, a different one depending on who he is talking to in each scene.

Then about 3/4ths through the film, he has a brief conversation with a Sister of Silence and he's played by Steve Buscemi.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

NihilCredo posted:

The emperor should be played by a dozen extremelyhandsome actors, a different one depending on who he is talking to in each scene.

Then about 3/4ths through the film, he has a brief conversation with a Sister of Silence and he's played by Steve Buscemi.

Extremely this.

Have him played by gigachad in one scene, have him speak Russian with subtitles but have the person talking to him understand and reply perfectly because mind poo poo. Have Jared Leto in another scene, the guy who plays marco inaros in another, that actor who looks like he wears guyliner even though he doesn't.

It would be awesome.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

NihilCredo posted:

They did this in the movie Heath ledger died around and I don’t think it really worked . It’s way too much of a change from the normal conventions of cinema

Iirc

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Just finished Spears of the Emperor. Not what I expected, I enjoyed it a lot. Every twist was pretty cool and surprising.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Inspector_666 posted:

People used to invite me to poker games in college and I would always try to decline because I don't like playing poker, but they would insist and I would show up and every single time somebody would end up yelling at me because I had no idea what I was doing and I would end up winning a hand that I shouldn't have because I would pretty much just be picking an action at random any time it was my turn.

Arquinsiel posted:

I spent a night annoying people by always coming second and getting a share of the pot when playing Poker. I had no idea what I was doing to the point that I even forgot to look at my cards one hand, and I was hyper-caffinated so I was basically a cartoon squirrel joke.

The great thing about poker is that any perceived skill and your experience can only hurt your play.

"WHY DO I CHOOSE THIS FOR A LIVING" - Jon Bois Pretty Good E8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDt90EyZnWA

Every minute is of this video is worth watching but especially 21:35 onward, Chapter 5 Why Don't I Just Embrace Chaos.

Also, there's one meme I can't find that goes "Sun Tzu was a brilliant strategist for his time and all his advice is like 'if you think you'll lose don't fight' and 'Lie'."

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Are there any notable marine forces, loyalist or otherwise, who specialize in fleet combat aside from the Black Templars and the Corsairs?

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Theres a few that specialize in boarding actions?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Marines Errant are a fleet based chapter.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Telsa Cola posted:

Theres a few that specialize in boarding actions?

For Marines fleet combat and boarding are kinda synonymous.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Arc Hammer posted:

For Marines fleet combat and boarding are kinda synonymous.

Soul Drinkers, Carcharodons, basically most of the fleet based chapters.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Wait until I release my book about a slaaneshi demon princess called Lala Forrori.

Would studiously avoid unless it’s narrated in audiobook by Antoine du Cannes refusing to engage with the content

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
What about those marines in the Astartes shorts?

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Ardent Communist posted:

Supposedly Nick Kyme is a good editor, so it seems they keep him around for that and just let him write on the side.

He's ADB's editor so he's apparently a much better editor than he is an author.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

They were homebrew

But I guess they are official now

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

tbh I think Tchaikovsky might just be doing it because he's a british nerd who likes Warhammer

https://twitter.com/aptshadow/status/1471250729813917702?s=20

I kinda want some of the deepkin models, just because I like sea critters. Just gotta figure out something to convert em into.

Improbable Lobster fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Dec 17, 2021

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

MariusLecter posted:

What about those marines in the Astartes shorts?

Ehhhhhhhhhh. So its somewhat hard to define this all because pretty much everymarine chapter is going to do boarding actions because that's just generally how they set up their navys.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Z the IVth posted:

IGN recently asked Cavill what Warhammer character he wants to play, and he avoided giving a straight answer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sN25UkWP1CM

Makes me wonder if there are some discussions going on. Who knows if anything will happen though. Has there been any news about the Eisenhorn show since the announcement in 2019?

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Arc Hammer posted:

Are there any notable marine forces, loyalist or otherwise, who specialize in fleet combat aside from the Black Templars and the Corsairs?

After the Horus Heresy, loyalist Space Marine chapters were mostly divested of their fleet assets in order to ensure they would remain reliant on the Imperial Navy and the Empire as a whole.

The Dark Angels, the Imperial Fists, and the Fire Hawks are relatively unique in retaining significant fleet assets in the form of their mobile fortress ship headquarters, like The Phalanx.

Finally there's a number of Space Marine chapters that have become largely fleet-based for one reason or another - often because they lost their homeworld for one reason or another and are now Crusading. There's a list of them here: https://warhammer40k.fandom.com/wiki/Fleet-Based

In particular, you may enjoy reading about the so-called Legion of the Damned, which are basically rogue Fire Hawks. https://warhammer40k.fandom.com/wiki/Legion_of_the_Damned

Kaal fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Dec 17, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

IIRC the Space Wolves of all chapters has a ridiculously strong fleet by marine standards. And it's captained by normal humans no less.