Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I would have preferred a more colorful film but I don't think it was a disaster or anything, it still looked really good even with a limited palette. The trailers had me worried it would be solo a star wars story all over again, but turns out it was made by competent people who aren't ron howard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Chris Tucker for emperor but he's literally his character from The Fifth Element.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Salvador Dali.

I don't care that he's dead. Exhume his corpse. Get the Jim Henson Company on the phone. Just get it done.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Michael Ian Black

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Ardent Communist posted:

Haha for some reason my brain read this as Michael Jai White, and I was like :wrong:
"I should have known you'd be behind this, fiendish Dr. Yueh. Your knowledge of scientific biological transmorphification is only outmatched by your love of kung fu treachery!"

But that was just prescience! I threw that poo poo before I left the room!

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Xiahou Dun posted:

Tim Blake Nelson or nothing.

spice guy or whatever you call yourself --

I know you know it's Padishah Emperor.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
jeff goldblum you cowards :argh:

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

In some scenes it's Jeff Goldblum, in some scenes it's Benecio Del Toro, and in one scene it's Tim Curry.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Watched Lynch's Dune last night for the first time since the new movie came out and I was surprised by how many of the scenes in the first half were very similar in both films. I haven't read the books and I guess I assumed that there's a lot of options for which specific scenes you want to include in a movie but I guess there are some that are just essential to laying the groundwork of the story. Like, if 20 years from now someone does Lord of the Rings again they'll probably have a Council of Elrond scene and a Bree/Prancing Pony scene because you kinda need those to tell the story.

The one that stood out to me in Lynch's version that wasn't in the new one is the stuff between the Emperor and the Navigator where they lay everything out and explicitly discuss their plans. On the one hand I don't think the exposition was necessary, but on the other hand the creature design on the Navigator is amazing.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
That opening scene was a good way to get a lot of exposition out at once, not just that the emperor and the Harkonnens are conspiring against the Atreides but the power relationships involve- the guild is so powerful that they can straight up instruct the Emperor to ice a kid. That scene wasn't in the book but its contents were basically drip-fed out over several chapters

Zohn
Jul 21, 2006

Trust me, pinko, you ain't half he-man enough for Mickey Spillane's Rye Whisky.

Grimey Drawer

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

This, but for Count Fenrig please. I always imagined his humming as Goldblum-esque.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Zohn posted:

This, but for Count Fenrig please. I always imagined his humming as Goldblum-esque.

While Jeff Goldblum is clearly a potential Kwisatz Haderach, I don't think he's a genetic eunuch.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
I think the opening of Lynch's dune is bad because you haven't actually met any of the characters yet, and the exposition mostly doesn't stick because you don't know who paul or the atreidies or harkonnens are yet to be invested in other people talking about them.

It technically gets the exposition out but I bet audiences didn't follow it.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Basebf555 posted:

Watched Lynch's Dune last night for the first time since the new movie came out and I was surprised by how many of the scenes in the first half were very similar in both films. I haven't read the books and I guess I assumed that there's a lot of options for which specific scenes you want to include in a movie but I guess there are some that are just essential to laying the groundwork of the story. Like, if 20 years from now someone does Lord of the Rings again they'll probably have a Council of Elrond scene and a Bree/Prancing Pony scene because you kinda need those to tell the story.

The one that stood out to me in Lynch's version that wasn't in the new one is the stuff between the Emperor and the Navigator where they lay everything out and explicitly discuss their plans. On the one hand I don't think the exposition was necessary, but on the other hand the creature design on the Navigator is amazing.

I would say the two versions are notable for what they leave out. The entire concept of the Bene Gesserit and what the gently caress that is all about is almost entirely out of the two films IIRC. Some key dialogue, as someone mentioned, "For the father, nothing" is somehow not in these scripts anywhere.

Name Change fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Dec 15, 2021

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Dr. Stab posted:

I think the opening of Lynch's dune is bad because you haven't actually met any of the characters yet, and the exposition mostly doesn't stick because you don't know who paul or the atreidies or harkonnens are yet to be invested in other people talking about them.

It technically gets the exposition out but I bet audiences didn't follow it.

I disagree. I mean, we don't know who the Atreides are at that point, but to me a pompous king and a monster in a fish tank pushed by Cenobites talking about how they need to die makes them interesting. At that point I'm willing to take the movie's word for it that these characters are going to be super important because the people/entities talking about them look rad.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Sodomy Hussein posted:

I would say the two versions are notable for what they leave out. The entire concept of the Bene Gesserit and what the gently caress that is all about is almost entirely out of the two films IIRC. Some key dialogue, as someone mentioned, “For the father, nothing” is somehow not in these scripts anywhere.

That line is in the Lynch version when Jessica & Mohiam enter Paul’s room. I would link to the Spice Diver edit on YouTube (31:14) but I guess it’s technically illegal; I remember seeing it in the theatrical cut too though

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://twitter.com/THR/status/1471188803511533576

david_a posted:

That line is in the Lynch version when Jessica & Mohiam enter Paul’s room. I would link to the Spice Diver edit on YouTube (31:14) but I guess it’s technically illegal; I remember seeing it in the theatrical cut too though
You can link to the spicediver edit on youtube, no one cares
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faHQA_0d9Mo&t=1860s

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Dec 15, 2021

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

That's gonna be a ways off if he gets the Dune trilogy he wants

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
I read the Rama books during my wild youth, was i high, or is the whole thing jam packed with incest?

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

Torquemada posted:

I read the Rama books during my wild youth, was i high, or is the whole thing jam packed with incest?

Rendezvous With Rama is a fine book. The sequels, by not-Clarke, are an abortion in concept and execution.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
The first book is great, and almost entirely devoid of conflict. It's just some folks exploring something they can never fully understand.

The followups are terrible, Clarke was enamored with the fact that an actual astrophysicist wanted to work with him so he just let him write whatever poo poo he wanted. I don't remember any incest though.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Just saw this last night. Enjoyed it greatly. I had one question though:

The Empire's plan was to give Artriedes control of Arrakus in order to take away their strengths as "masters of the sea and air" and then stage a coup and re-install Harkonnen to govern Arrakus. This is because the Empire see Artreides' influence/power as dangerous so wants them eliminated. That part makes sense.

But why are Artreides seen as powerful/a threat and Harkonnen not? They make it pretty clear Harkonnen is the bigger house, had control of Arrakus for ages, became extremely powerful as a result and have also been skimming billions off the top to make themselves super rich. Why are the Empire threatened by Artreides and not Harkonnen? Why overthrow a less powerful threat and re-install a more powerful one?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Looten Plunder posted:

Just saw this last night. Enjoyed it greatly. I had one question though:

The Empire's plan was to give Artriedes control of Arrakus in order to take away their strengths as "masters of the sea and air" and then stage a coup and re-install Harkonnen to govern Arrakus. This is because the Empire see Artreides' influence/power as dangerous so wants them eliminated. That part makes sense.

But why are Artreides seen as powerful/a threat and Harkonnen not? They make it pretty clear Harkonnen is the bigger house, had control of Arrakus for ages, became extremely powerful as a result and have also been skimming billions off the top to make themselves super rich. Why are the Empire threatened by Artreides and not Harkonnen? Why overthrow a less powerful threat and re-install a more powerful one?

Nobody likes the Harkonnens. Leto was very popular among the other houses so the emperor felt there was a real risk he would get deposed (his Sardaukar cannot fend off the combined might of all the other houses).

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Remember when the Sardaukar general asks "Why do you need us? The Harkonnen Legions outnumber the Atreides"

He's not asking a genuine question. He's calling out the Harkonnen as bad-at-fighting cowards

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
The Harkonnen house is the one that stands most alone because everybody hates those guys because they're awful. The Atreides have something that the Harkonnen's will never have: the ability to make friends. The Sardaukar can take out the Harkonnen legions without breaking a sweat, but they can't stop Atreides + literally everybody else's working together which is the actual threat posed by the Atreides.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Awesome, thanks guys.

What other houses are fleshed out in the books? Does it go all Game of Thrones with heaps of different big ones clashing with each other?

And if so, why would they invent a totally made up Ordos house for the video game if there were a bunch of others that already exist?

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
It was also a two birds with one stone situation for the Emperor, the reinstalled Harkonnens are diminished from their previous level of power because of the staggering cost involved executing the plan

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Looten Plunder posted:

Awesome, thanks guys.

What other houses are fleshed out in the books? Does it go all Game of Thrones with heaps of different big ones clashing with each other?

And if so, why would they invent a totally made up Ordos house for the video game if there were a bunch of others that already exist?

Maybe there was another house mentioned by name (it’s been a long time since I’ve read it) but none of them get any detail.

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

I'm here for this if Villeneuve actually gets to do it.

As long as he doesn't have to do any of the other books in the series.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
The book is famous for a reason, it goes heavily into the politics and amazing world building but doesn’t get mired down (like in GOT) in like point of view characters/chapters from other houses besides the main ones that matter.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Seemlar posted:

It was also a two birds with one stone situation for the Emperor, the reinstalled Harkonnens are diminished from their previous level of power because of the staggering cost involved executing the plan

Also, stuff that might end up the sequel the Emperor completely underestimates the Baron, he didn't know the Baron was skimming and had the secret reserves to replenish capitol or the rebellion he's planning using the Fremen

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Looten Plunder posted:

Awesome, thanks guys.

The three houses that end up mattering the most are Atreides, Harkonnen, and Corrino (the imperial house). It focuses a lot less on the great houses than something like GoT does in favor of putting a greater focus on factions like the Bene Gesserit, the Guild, the Ixians and the Tleilaxu, all of whom either completely dominate an entire sector of the galactic economy or (in the case of the Bene Gesserit) are the true power behind the throne of the great houses.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Today absolutely sucked out loud for a myriad of reasons but this news single-handedly redeemed it. I am insanely hyped for this, I loved the first book and now I'm compelled to re-read it.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

deoju posted:

Salvador Dali.

I don't care that he's dead. Exhume his corpse. Get the Jim Henson Company on the phone. Just get it done.

if we're getting the Henson Company on the line, we might as well get the true Emperor

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

https://twitter.com/DuneInfo/status/1471175059603660808

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

During the Harkonnen raid, over 1000 Fremen died and 19 brave Atreides warriors gave their lives:

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Man that original orbital drop opening sounds great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XEjtmQ9_fk

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

it does, but i think they made the (sigh) right call, because to have all the cool stuff would have stretched it out too much. of course, a wildly indulgent directors cut would be nice...

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Aww man I really want that final Piter/Thufir scene

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Wtf I remember reading Rendezvous With Rama and it’s the most boring and pointless bit of sci-fi I’ve ever read.