Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

ThePopeOfFun fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Dec 15, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willeh
Jun 25, 2003

God hates a coward

It’s even worse than I had anticipated :laugh:

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Well Sham stole my original mock quote, so...

Rothfuss posted:

The man had true-red hair, red as flame. His eyes were dark and weary, and he moved with the slow care of a man who is badly hurt, or tired, or old beyond his years.

The gently caress does this mean? What is true-red? Flames aren't exactly made to factory standards, and this is presented in the context of Kvothe being tired and weary. Flames are very much not that!

Of course, this is all Rothfussian nonsense where you are to mistake your sense of confusion for an understanding of depth.

mewse
May 2, 2006

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

The gently caress does this mean? What is true-red? Flames aren't exactly made to factory standards, and this is presented in the context of Kvothe being tired and weary. Flames are very much not that!

Of course, this is all Rothfussian nonsense where you are to mistake your sense of confusion for an understanding of depth.

understanding gathered at the poster’s feet like freshly shorn wool

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

The gently caress does this mean? What is true-red?

true-red just means they don't have secret brunette roots :smugbert:

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

I don’t mind Sham’s quote actually. It’s a nice silent scene, with small sounds happening you would only pick up when the surrounding area is actually quiet. The tabor is dumb, but the rhythm thought is nice and I don’t think it’s a bad paragraph.

What’s bad is the quote is 14 years old. It’s a revision of book 1’s three farts, teased as “new. The whole Rothfussian thing doesn’t work if there’s no interesting potential and bizarre defense thereof.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007
Rothfuss has this thing that Kvothe's hair is the PURE EMBODIMENT OF FIRE and thus is dark super red or something like that, when fire doesn't actually look like that but Rothfuss is a hack.

Kchama fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Dec 16, 2021

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

I'm sure this is re-treading old ground, but to me the weirdest thing about rothfuss is that his extra double-most-favorite-book of all time is The Last Unicorn

he famously owns dozens of copies of The Last Unicorn and will rummage around in his pockets to find one to loan to you if he finds out you've not read it.

Now, say what you want about Peter S. Beagle, but one hallmark of his work is economy.

The Last Unicorn is iirc 200ish pages long. Within that span it successfully weaves its yarn while also doing a ton of work to evoke a very specific atmosphere and sense of time-out-of-time. A Fine and Private Place is barely longer than that and also gets a ton done. The approach is lean and purposeful.

Now, I like a brick-like doorstopper novel as much as the next guy, but imo it's strange, in this light, that Rothfuss writes these huge meandering tomes

You'd think that if someone worshipped Beagle's work that much, they would try to write a little bit like him

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

ThePopeOfFun posted:

I don’t mind Sham’s quote actually. It’s a nice silent scene, with small sounds happening you would only pick up when the surrounding area is actually quiet. The tabor is dumb, but the rhythm thought is nice and I don’t think it’s a bad paragraph.

The concept is fine -- a soft sound you wouldn't expect to hear, making it more obvious that the environment is unusually quiet -- but the prose is garbage and barely conveys anything. The music references are particularly shoehorned in, since that sort of natural cooling ping isn't going to create a rhythm at all, unless the listener is constructing it. It could work if rewritten, but it absolutely doesn't work here.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Brass thread. Because the second silence was an "alloy of sorts" in the first book. That's writing.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Antivehicular posted:

The concept is fine -- a soft sound you wouldn't expect to hear, making it more obvious that the environment is unusually quiet -- but the prose is garbage and barely conveys anything. The music references are particularly shoehorned in, since that sort of natural cooling ping isn't going to create a rhythm at all, unless the listener is constructing it. It could work if rewritten, but it absolutely doesn't work here.

Eh that a simile isn’t literally true isn’t a problem to me. The problem is doubling down on HEY THIS IS ADDING TO THE THREE SILENCES, and that whole three parts thing goin off the rails into heavy handed telly meaninglessness. And if this was all a first book, it’d be heavy handed and overwrought but so what maybe this guy can go somewhere.

But with 14 years of antics, $300k, plus a rabid fandom, all the doubling down on “let people enjoy things,” and you’ve got this weird Rothfuss magic. The whole Rothfuss promising reward and never delivering fascinates me to no end.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

It means he has anime hair. But one can’t just type that in a fantasy book without breaking immersion so...

Non joke answer and to give the writer more credit than he is due, since the series revolves in part around the “true names for things” you could see “true-red” as meaning the embodiment of the idea of red. But they it gets diluted by also comparing it to flames which have a variety of colours, and it becomes scattershot like everything else in the writing.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

mewse posted:

understanding gathered at the poster’s feet like freshly shorn wool

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Kvothe is the ur Ginger.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

It's like the sword that was the sword all swords are sworded against

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
People who say "fire red" don't actually know what fire (or the color red) looks like or suffer from color blindness.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

I assume true-red is meant to mean properly bright red Ron Weasley hair, not a kind of dusky ginger. But it also feels kind of like its just trying to make him super special and different. He's true red, not like all those fakers.

Nae
Sep 3, 2020

what.

It's weird that he went for fire as the metaphor when he's talking about how run down and wrecked kvothe is and rust is right there.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Actually it was still tied after the third silence so there was brief, fourth overtime silence.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

isn't rust more of a shade of brown than red?

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Nae posted:

It's weird that he went for fire as the metaphor when he's talking about how run down and wrecked kvothe is and rust is right there.

Yeah, embers would at least be a more interesting comparison, especially because it's a fire that's going out, but can potentially be stoked and fueled back to full.

Anyways, the lack of a third book is the true third silence

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I assume true-red is meant to mean properly bright red Ron Weasley hair, not a kind of dusky ginger. But it also feels kind of like its just trying to make him super special and different. He's true red, not like all those fakers.

There was some popular book that I decided to give a go (my mistake) and they kept making fun of the main character for his weird, deviant tastes in women that clearly no one would be interested in. Then we finally meet the unfortunate crush.

Red hair, white skin, thin waist, big boobs.

Ohhhh so deviant. Repulsive! Don't think I made it much past that part but at least now I know the author's type.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
His hair is #FF0000.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Strom Cuzewon posted:

It is this.

If I remember correctly, his hair was no longer fire-red in the first book but returned to its 'true color' over the first two books, because he was slowly restoring his true name which might be a cool idea if it wasn't presented as the nerdy college drop-out gaining back his true power by talking about his ole' DGR Wizard High School and Wizard College Days.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Will this be the year?

Write the book, Patrick!

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Hughmoris posted:

Will this be the year?

Write the book, Patrick!

With how publishing is, if it hasn't been announced yet then it likely won't be this year. But he's already hinted at heavily that he hasn't even started writing it.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Kchama posted:

With how publishing is, if it hasn't been announced yet then it likely won't be this year. But he's already hinted at heavily that he hasn't even started writing it.

sigh but then what did one expect?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Kchama posted:

Was it really him hinting at it when his editor said she hadn't seen anything after waiting for 9 years?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Evil Fluffy posted:

Was it really him hinting at it when his editor said she hadn't seen anything after waiting for 9 years?

A few months after that fact he did a facebook live thing where he claimed a bunch of hardships with the writing, and how maybe the beauty of the books is that an unfinished story can never be a disappointment or something.

Since he refuses to leave his safe space of cheerio broadcasting no one has been able to publicly call him out over the tweet from ~2013 or so where he claimed to have the finished draft of book 3 and took a picture of it on his desk.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007
He was also doing the whole "C... Can I write it as a series of bullet points, guys?" thing like a month or two ago, which from any one else might be a joke but from him probably isn't so much.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Karia posted:

the patient, cut-flower sound of a man who is waiting to die

Oh. Rothfuss is Orm from Norsemen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RjvU_WKbyo&t=46s

It's all so clear now.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

If you're this late on a book your publisher should be able to legally murder you imo

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
the publisher would probably like to but, unfortunately for them and fortunately for ol' rothfuss, the guy probably sells more than anyone else in their catalogue. and, if he does happen to poo poo out a third novel, it'll probably sell more than any other release that year. they'll never admit it but the traditional publishing industry is in a slow death spiral and they need every sale they can get. someone like rothfuss essentially bank rolls so many other authors.

Horizon Burning fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Jan 14, 2022

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Kchama posted:

He was also doing the whole "C... Can I write it as a series of bullet points, guys?" thing like a month or two ago, which from any one else might be a joke but from him probably isn't so much.

I’d take bullet points at this point and create the rest of the story, containing them, in my head.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

latinotwink1997 posted:

I’d take bullet points at this point and create the rest of the story, containing them, in my head.

Probably still be better than Wise Man's Fear.

Horizon Burning posted:

the publisher would probably like to but, unfortunately for them and fortunately for ol' rothfuss, the guy probably sells more than anyone else in their catalogue. and, if he does happen to poo poo out a third novel, it'll probably sell more than any other release that year. they'll never admit it but the traditional publishing industry is in a slow death spiral and they need every sale they can get. someone like rothfuss essentially bank rolls so many other authors.

If that's even the case any more. A decade with no book seems to have pretty severely dampened Rothfuss's star which is why he basically tries to schmooze with anyone who might point a camera at him that he can get away with.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

https://twitter.com/ray8fisher/status/1483497075958550530

With all of the Whedon stuff going around lately I couldn't help but remember Rothfuss worshiping the guy and also being a creepy gently caress at conventions.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Evil Fluffy posted:

With all of the Whedon stuff going around lately I couldn't help but remember Rothfuss worshiping the guy and also being a creepy gently caress at conventions.

Whenever someone references the Scott Kurtz "Joss Whedon is my master now" t-shirt, the image in my mind is of Rothfart wearing it.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

True-red is the standard color of fire in the old '58 Soviet-made furnaces used to heat the Serbia coal miner barracks between 1960-1972.

"The furnace had true-red flame, not quite the red of the rosey-red cheeks it warmed. Their eyes were dark and weary, and they moved with the slow care of a miner who is badly hurt, or tired, or old beyond their years. These were the patient, cut-flower sounds of a men who is waiting for their next shift."

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Write the book, Rothfuss!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I'd really rather he didn't. There's no way no matter how bad it is that people don't pretend it's a triumph and it doesn't inflate his prestige for another couple of years. Right now, he's slowly fading off into obscurity where he belongs.