Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

seaborgium posted:

It's fine, she just needed to be more open about what she was expecting from her partner. Consent is key here, obviously Perrin was into it but a quick conversation would have saved a lot of hassle.
** insert that meme about how much shorter a story would be if they just did "x"**
Scene 1: Robert Jordan's The Wheel of Time
Scene 2: The characters actually talk to each other
Scene 3: The end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

RC Cola posted:

Yeah it's called being a hypothetical piece of poo poo

I just go with "piece of poo poo". They're not poly, they're just lying so they can sleep around.

I know a couple of healthy poly situations but they're sadly more rare than assholes.

Jaxyon fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Dec 16, 2021

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

LMAO at hating a show so much because not everyone is white that you photoshop fake articles to convince everyone that everyone hates it too:

The real article:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Can't wait for the new episode tonight!

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
The best part of the wheel of time show is that it pisses off racists and homophobes tbqh

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I would say the best part is the show itself. Pissing off The judds is just a very nice bonus

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

RC Cola posted:

The best part of the wheel of time show is that it pisses off racists and homophobes tbqh

Maybe not rhe best part for me, but definitely right up there haha. Eat poo poo ya weird nazis.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Jaxyon posted:

I just go with "piece of poo poo". They're not poly, they're just lying so they can sleep around.

I know a couple of healthy poly situations but they're sadly more rare than assholes.

I think they meant hypocritical which, yeah.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

RC Cola posted:

Nah, it's that it's very, very good

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Nah, it's that it's very, very good

Yeah my partner is super excited about the show and has never touched the books.

Though they figured out Rand was the DR by process of elimination(he's the only one they're not actively setting up to be it, so therefore he must be it)

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

eke out posted:

all saldaean women do is have hooked hawk-like noses and lie

jokes aside wheel takes had an discussion about whether taim's "hooked" nose and demandred's "hawk-like" nose implied they're the same person lol

Haha.

"any saldaean female born after 980 AE can't have a normal relationship... all they know is jealousy, throw they knives, old tongue, be hook-nosed, and lie."

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

CainFortea posted:

I would say the best part is the show itself. Pissing off The judds is just a very nice bonus

How are u posted:

Maybe not rhe best part for me, but definitely right up there haha. Eat poo poo ya weird nazis.

I like hyperbole. It is my good and strong friend. But fair enough.

On Dragon Reborn re-read. I really dislike the Nynaeve / Egwene catty power play that happens all book. I hope the show handles it better. Elayne says it best "If one of you says up the other says down". Is it just early signs of Egwene needing to be right about everything and in control of every situation? I'm reading it a bit as her Seanchan PTSD being taken out on Nynaeve, and Nynaeve feeding off Egwene's negative emotions and reflecting them back at her.

Currently at where they meet Bain and Chiad. Egwene is very mad that Nynaeve offered to heal someone. Which is a core part of Nynaeve's being since Egwene was a child. You'd think she would know that Nynaeve would heal literally anyone at the expense of her own life if need be.

Someone else give me your take please.

Also Elayne is great in the early books

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
They're teens and twenty somethings so they are insufferable sometimes, op.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Yeah, Egwene and Nynaeve are stepping all over each other because their relationship has undergone a massive upheaval. The series starts with Nynaeve in a position of authority over Egwene, but by Dragon they're peers and Egwene is actively fighting slipping into her old dynamic while Nynaeve is trying to keep it going.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

th3t00t posted:

** insert that meme about how much shorter a story would be if they just did "x"**
Scene 1: Robert Jordan's The Wheel of Time
Scene 2: The characters actually talk to each other
Scene 3: The end

They are condensing a lot of stuff for the show, so it would make sense to have them actually talk to each other for this plotline.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Zore posted:

Yeah, Egwene and Nynaeve are stepping all over each other because their relationship has undergone a massive upheaval. The series starts with Nynaeve in a position of authority over Egwene, but by Dragon they're peers and Egwene is actively fighting slipping into her old dynamic while Nynaeve is trying to keep it going.

I appreciate Elayne constantly trying to mediate the two of them. She's just so exasperated.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Zore posted:

Yeah there's a scene in I think FoH where it's explicitly made clear that Egwene is the lead in their relationship, reversing their dynamic.

RandomReader
Nov 17, 2021

RC Cola posted:

Min rules. I didn't read her as non binary but I'll look at her through that lens on this reread. I wouldn't care one way or another. It doesn't change anything in the story
Except her "I'm still a woman, woolhead" moment, tomboy erasure needs to end! :cheeky:

RC Cola posted:

Yeah it's called being a hypothetical piece of poo poo
Yes, as opposed to something like the hypocritical flying invisible teapot.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

RC Cola posted:

I appreciate Elayne constantly trying to mediate the two of them. She's just so exasperated.

Coming up again when she's trying to mediate between aes sedai, seafolk, kin...and one particular time during that she's like gently caress it, just, gently caress it. "For once, she had no desire whatsoever to try to calm things down" or something like that.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

RC Cola posted:

Also some amusing foreshadowing for when Elayne herself is butting heads with Nynaeve in a couple books time.

silvergoose posted:

Coming up again when she's trying to mediate between aes sedai, seafolk, kin...and one particular time during that she's like gently caress it, just, gently caress it. "For once, she had no desire whatsoever to try to calm things down" or something like that.

And that time, when she just loses her poo poo at the Aes Sedai in Ebou Dar, is one of her crowning moments of triumph. By forcing the issue and standing up to the others, she proved herself to be a real Aes Sedai...at which point they all deferred to her, since she was stronger than any of them in the Power. Aes Sedai power dynamics are weird, yo.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

RC Cola posted:

Elayne has always been a top contender for my favorite character. She may be responsible for my lifelong obsession with Competent Action-Oriented Princess/Noblewoman/Heiress types.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Sanguinia posted:

Elayne has always been a top contender for my favorite character. She may be responsible for my lifelong obsession with Competent Action-Oriented Princess/Noblewoman/Heiress types.

Right there with you. :hfive: It was actually quite a surprise to discover how much Elayne hate there is out there among the fans, and even here in the forum.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Jaxyon posted:

Yeah there's a scene in I think FoH where it's explicitly made clear that Egwene is the lead in their relationship, reversing their dynamic.

Is that the World of Dreams trolloc rape scene?

silvergoose posted:

Yeah, that scene was good too.

jng2058 posted:

Also some amusing foreshadowing for when Elayne herself is butting heads with Nynaeve in a couple books time.

And that time, when she just loses her poo poo at the Aes Sedai in Ebou Dar, is one of her crowning moments of triumph. By forcing the issue and standing up to the others, she proved herself to be a real Aes Sedai...at which point they all deferred to her, since she was stronger than any of them in the Power. Aes Sedai power dynamics are weird, yo.

I was just thinking that! The circus traveling is literally the same thing, but Nynaeve and Elayne. I think that's more they are both pissed off about their situation though.

And yeah I loved when Elayne finally was like "I'm the strongest loving Aes Sedai alive that isn't Nynaeve. Eat poo poo and listen to me" and they did.

jng2058 posted:

Right there with you. :hfive: It was actually quite a surprise to discover how much Elayne hate there is out there among the fans, and even here in the forum.

I disliked her when I was younger. She's grown on me over the years. I still really dislike how she didn't learn from her mistake about assuming plot armor for her meant she could do whatever she wanted. But she is a cool and interesting character.

I also disliked the succession subplot, mostly because it didn't matter at all since Andor just catches fire and falls apart as soon as she takes the throne.

She is a cool strong confidant woman though who kicks rear end and takes names. And also is bonded to the third best character in the series

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Best part of TDR is Perrin telling Faile that her name is the same as a horse

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

RC Cola posted:

Is that the World of Dreams trolloc rape scene?

No I was talking about Egwene, who basically shuts down Nyneave hard I believe just before that.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Jaxyon posted:

No I was talking about Egwene, who basically shuts down Nyneave hard I believe just before that.

Which scene? I thought that the power dynamic swap happens in the same instance of the world of dreams. Where Egwene almost makes Nynaeve drink the gross tea to cover up that she is disobeying the wise ones? I know the Trolloc rape scene also happens in the same book, I just can't place the timeline off the top of my head

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
God I hope they drop all the Wonder Girls cattiness, it reeks of Jordan's issues with women

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Rarity posted:

God I hope they drop all the Wonder Girls cattiness, it reeks of Jordan's issues with women

Yes. Please. Or if they keep it in make Mat, Perrin, and Rand super catty anytime they are around other men please and thank you. Just Rand being super passive aggressive to Lan. May being really angry at how handsome Thom's mustaches are. Perrin just can't stand how skinny Gaul is!

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Mat internally : "look at Talmanes's well turned calves. Why aren't mine that well turned"

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Perrin gets angry that Rand's empire is bigger than his own.

Thom and Julian has a little bit of the stupid cattyness, but it works for them because Jordan wrote it less annoyingly

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Replace all cattiness with a forsaken scene of cattiness instead imo

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the forsaken are all catty as hell and they're better characters for it. just a bunch of petty assholes who can use magic.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Rarity posted:

only if we get to keep this scene(s)

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Johnny Joestar posted:

the forsaken are all catty as hell and they're better characters for it. just a bunch of petty assholes who can use magic.

I just restarted TGH on my latest re-read and i'm here to remind you that when Ishy was displaying images of the boys at the Darkfriend Social, he was very careful to make sure that none of the images of them were higher up than he is. Because it was more important to him to be higher up than them, even if it meant some of his lackys didn't get a good look at their targets.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
HA! I loving knew Moridin was Ishmael . Just kind of got it confirmed in the book and Lanfear is back as well. That does not bode well.

Knife of Dreams is really good so far. The pacing is real good and things are happening in every chapter.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Dec 16, 2021

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Hollismason posted:

Knife of Dreams is really good

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Now i kind of want to re-read just Knife of Dreams over the holiday.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
Elayne is great until the Andor succession storyline starts in book 8 or 9(?) and from then on she’s awful.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Elayne is alright until she gets knocked up :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

th3t00t posted:

Elayne is great until the Andor succession storyline starts in book 8 or 9(?) and from then on she’s awful.

Honestly she's one of my favorite characters, right up until she starts going on about the twins making her invincible because she'll give birth to healthy babies or whatever

Elayne, it's a world of magic. There's probably so very many ways you could give birth to them, have them be healthy, and still be in a whole heap of trouble/mostly dead or something

I think they tone that down in later books and she's good again? Been forever since I did a reread, I'm really looking forward to doing so after season 1 is over