Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

daniel henney can get it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Barreft posted:

Lan and Moiraine are 11 and 12 after Fain, Fain, Fain, Fain, and Padan Fain.

That's acceptable but where is Min

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

CainsDescendant posted:

Making Perrin's storyline a drag because of his feelings about a romantic interest is extremely faithful to the books

RandomReader
Nov 17, 2021

Egwene saying she waited an hour for Rand to come and apologize, and Rand saying that she'd come find him when she was ready to talk was spot on, characterwise. Moiraine siccing the Red Ajah on Mat was also good. Shame about... everything else. From Perrin being in love with Eggy and the love triangle, Lan not having something to die for, Egwene being the moral center and even entertaining of not joining the Aes Sedai, Agelmar being a stereotypical "arrogant male leader" instead of basically subservient to Moiraine, Min being not Min, to Lan not having something to die for (it bears repetition), the show remains "moderately okay on it's own merits, terrible adaptation of the source material".

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

I always imagined the blight as a desert, was that just totally wrong? I thought it was just the Wastes but with a bit more evil gunk around.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Skyl3lazer posted:

I always imagined the blight as a desert, was that just totally wrong? I thought it was just the Wastes but with a bit more evil gunk around.

In the books it's more like a jungle with creepy evil plants. You're thinking of the blasted lands, the area right around shayol gul.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

RC Cola posted:

That's acceptable but where is Min

I forgot about Logain. Min will be there once we see more. I still see Leaf and it gives me bad GOT flashbacks

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I feel like the showmakers were delivering the mail in this episode when it came to top-quality braid-tugging.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

RandomReader posted:

Egwene saying she waited an hour for Rand to come and apologize, and Rand saying that she'd come find him when she was ready to talk was spot on, characterwise. Moiraine siccing the Red Ajah on Mat was also good. Shame about... everything else. From Perrin being in love with Eggy and the love triangle, Lan not having something to die for, Egwene being the moral center and even entertaining of not joining the Aes Sedai, Agelmar being a stereotypical "arrogant male leader" instead of basically subservient to Moiraine, Min being not Min, to Lan not having something to die for (it bears repetition), the show remains "moderately okay on it's own merits, terrible adaptation of the source material".

Have you had COVID recently? Because you clearly have no taste.

Opening ruled so hard. Love triangles total worked because it’s dumb and the worlds going to very quickly going “nobody cares”. Min rules so hard. Her and rand instantly have fantastic chemistry. Reveal wasn’t what I expected, but was also great.

The core of the story is here. It’s a different telling in a different medium, but they’re doing a loving amazing telling of it.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Barreft posted:

I forgot about Logain. Min will be there once we see more. I still see Leaf and it gives me bad GOT flashbacks

Well where is Logain then?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Skyl3lazer posted:

The Blight is basically the Dark One's influence over everything there. The trees and such won't die, they'll just decay and everything in there will be tainted (corrupted? lol).

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Fal Dara would never be that dark, too many spots for an Eyeless to sneak about :colbert:

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

RC Cola posted:

Well where is Logain then?

Waiting to be saved by Min, Leane and Siuan? or do you think my list on the top 5 was real? lol

wraith_5_
Aug 25, 2003
Opening was great. All the CW poo poo, especially the love triangle was garbage. Min is acted well, but her looking 40 just feels really off.

Arrinien
Oct 22, 2010

I notice they conspicuously omitted any mention of Shienar as a country. Amalisa said her loyalty was to the city, and they didn't say anything about Fal Dara being part of a larger nation, it almost felt like a city-state.

On another note is the ridiculous rings minus the gems how they're going to do Accepted ring

e: did they ever mention the Malkieri dude's name on screen? I'm assuming it was Bukama based on Lan's story but I don't think they ever said his name?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the way the blight is described in the books would be insanely hard to put on tv since it's this intensely warped area of sorts filled with nasty poo poo, and the sheer amount of variety of things that would be needed for a 1:1 recreation of that description of the area that will, ultimately, not be that important in the series as a whole seems like a pretty easy thing to decide to rein in a bit and give it a more cohesive look

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

I'm really slow at listening to audio books at work and was on vacation last week so I didn't listen at all but today I got to the Fain gets to Fal Dara part of the book. I really hope we get some of that scene because man I can really see Fain's actor pulling it off.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

My man ready to kill the Randland Dragon, already full of Mashadar and Machin Shin

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Arrinien posted:

e: did they ever mention the Malkieri dude's name on screen? I'm assuming it was Bukama based on Lan's story but I don't think they ever said his name?

x-ray has him as Zahir.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it's a bit funny to see random rageclick bait videos on youtube while looking up other wheel of time stuff because the sheer amount of copium that's embodied in poo poo like Why Wheel Of Time Fans Hate The Show and/or weird edited thumbnails with yelling dudes practically radiates off of them like some sort of previously undiscovered isotope and has a higher chance of striking me more infertile than the hormones i'm taking will

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

X-ray has this as Lord Yakota (Amar Chadha-Patel) on the left. With my man uno on the right. And I think his "you bloody great bastard" was the line that Rafe mentioned was adlibed in his AMA

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Arrinien posted:

I notice they conspicuously omitted any mention of Shienar as a country. Amalisa said her loyalty was to the city, and they didn't say anything about Fal Dara being part of a larger nation, it almost felt like a city-state.

The x-ray mentioned that Fal Dara was the northernmost city in Shienar. It also broke down Emond's Field & Taren Ferry vs. the Two Rivers back in the first couple of episodes. They're just trying to keep the proper nouns spoken per episode to a minimum, it's all still there for anyone interested.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Johnny Joestar posted:

it's a bit funny to see random rageclick bait videos on youtube while looking up other wheel of time stuff because the sheer amount of copium that's embodied in poo poo like Why Wheel Of Time Fans Hate The Show and/or weird edited thumbnails with yelling dudes practically radiates off of them like some sort of previously undiscovered isotope and has a higher chance of striking me more infertile than the hormones i'm taking will

These are people who are going to complain that Rand didn't get enough focus on this episode, or wasn't white or masculine enough. I dunno why anyone reads that poo poo lol. Delete your twitter accounts

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Barreft posted:

These are people who are going to complain that Rand didn't get enough focus on this episode, or wasn't white or masculine enough. I dunno why anyone reads that poo poo lol. Delete your twitter accounts

This time it's hard to blame twitter. It's mostly on reddit/youtube.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Johnny Joestar posted:

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Barreft posted:

Waiting to be saved by Min, Leane and Siuan? or do you think my list on the top 5 was real? lol

I thought we were doing a bit and now it's over :(

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Rewatching. Now that we know, it’s super obvious that Perrin is holding a torch for Egwene from the get go. Lingering looks and reaction shots and subtext. Honestly I could see a path forward to cutting Faile and Gawyn and going that route. Not that I’m in favor, but I can see the logic if they went that way.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

navyjack posted:

I could see a path forward to cutting Faile and Gawyn and going that route.

ugh. This is one of the few things I don't like about the show. Show overall good tho, just ugh.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Who the hell has time to listen to a 2+ hour rant session about a 1 hour episode?

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Democratic Pirate posted:

Who the hell has time to listen to a 2+ hour rant session about a 1 hour episode?

Correction: a 2+ hour rant session courtesy of three of the most unfuckable men alive, each more unfuckable than the last.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

like the only reason i even comment on those people in the first place is because youtube insists on shoving yelling incel faces in my vision when i'm not even looking for them, and it's wild to see them try to frame it as 'every book reader hates the show trust my interpretation from this thumbnail/title'

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Democratic Pirate posted:

I have very depressing news..

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Reik posted:

Correction: a 2+ hour rant session courtesy of three of the most unfuckable men alive, each more unfuckable than the last.

Well, the middle one has kids I think.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Nitrousoxide posted:

So does Goku.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Johnny Joestar posted:

like the only reason i even comment on those people in the first place is because youtube insists on shoving yelling incel faces in my vision when i'm not even looking for them, and it's wild to see them try to frame it as 'every book reader hates the show trust my interpretation from this thumbnail/title'

Every comment and thumbs down you give just makes the algorithm give you more

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Nitrousoxide posted:

Did he steal them?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

CainFortea posted:

Every comment and thumbs down you give just makes the algorithm give you more

hell, i don't even click on them!

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
I swear to god I've seen a set design like the ways before, either in a game or some film or TV - a dark hexagonal stone floor pattern, with a load of almost crystalline-lookinb hexagonal columns coming up out of it at different heights. Am I going crazy or do any of you know what I'm talking about? Lol.

This episode was ok except the love triangle was bleh, the Lan background reveal was a bit meh, and it felt like they overextended the Lan/Nynaeve will they won't they by about 2 mins.
Agelmar in the books was cool, show Agelmar was generically rubbish.
I've no idea how I feel about Rand reveal, it will be interesting to see non-reader reactions. There was really no need to have the Tam woods scene as flashback, we already knew one of the five had a mysterious background. It felt like quite an artificial insert, I don't think they built up to it as a reveal that Rand has had this preying on his mind at all. They could have had that as part of his developing character all season, like in the books; the doubt and denial about what Tam said.

The Tigraine fight was like... Ok how brain damaged is your baby after all of this. I guess they wanted action. It was a cool scene but I worry that it might just look too ridiculous to some. And given the crux of the scene is really that striking image of a woman giving birth in the snow on a mountain in a battle... you'd have thought that could be made dramatic enough by itself. Ah well, the fight was quite well done at least vOv

Skyl3lazer posted:

Johnny Joestar posted:

the way the blight is described in the books would be insanely hard to put on tv since it's this intensely warped area of sorts filled with nasty poo poo, and the sheer amount of variety of things that would be needed for a 1:1 recreation of that description of the area that will, ultimately, not be that important in the series as a whole seems like a pretty easy thing to decide to rein in a bit and give it a more cohesive look
I think it's described in the books as having a desert environment, i.e. burning orange sun during the day, and at night so freezing cold that they hear trees exploding (I think?). Don't know if it's described as sandy or rocky ground or whatever though. It definitely lots of corrupted trees around, that are kind of decaying and oozing poisonous pus or whatever horrible poo poo. Maybe they come across a lake too with something hideous lurking in it? Can't remember.

Show version is very grey, but to me that's not the end of the world (pun intended), certainly not compared to some of the other stuff from the books I wish they'd not changed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Johnny Joestar posted:

hell, i don't even click on them!

Oh, thought you said you were commenting on them.