Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

blue squares posted:

I know surgical masks don’t protect the wearer from inflow but do they still contain enough that the wearer is spreading less? I would imagine no

I think that Aaron Collins has tested this with his ærosol equipment.

There’s a measurable reduction, but should anyone consider it sufficient two years into a pandemic?

That’s a rhetorical question. It is madness that we still entertain the notion. It’s like if everyone ripped and knotted bedsheets to act as seatbelts two years ago and at no point since did we as a society go “you know, it’s time to upgrade to purpose‐built nylon straps”.

Surgical masks were only ever intended to protect open wounds from big hunks of sputum. They do a poor job at source control of ærosols and shouldn’t be considered PPE at all.

People act like N95 is the Cadillac of respiratory protection, but it’s not. The step down from N95 is “there is no respiratory hazard present”. If there is a hazard, any hazard, workers have to be issued and fit‐tested in N95 or better (or would if Biden didn’t kneecap OSHA). Employers don’t get to go “O.K. so the lead dust exceeds exposure limits, but it’s only by a little so they can just wear a bandana.”

e: The tone of this came out wrong. Your question is fine. It’s everything about society’s response that is frustrating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Well you see this is all well and good but I ordered take out for a while instead of going to restaurants and I got like at least 2 vaccinations so I did everything, literally everything right gently caress YOU for saying I am not perfect

I did everything perfect too and I got the corona anyway so I think you’ve got bigger problems than just being told you’re not perfect

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

covid

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

Real Mean Queen posted:

Exactly. Either the doomers in the respirators are wrong, or the people at the applebees have done something unconscionable. We have to be wrong in order for them to maintain their view of themselves as intelligent, moral human beings. Our saying “gently caress this” and wearing scary masks and not going to Christmas is, on some level, an attack on that. Me gearing up good and hunkering in the bunker can correctly be interpreted as me saying that I think there’s something wrong with doing less.

On top of everything else that covid is, it’s a morality problem, and people often respond to perceived slights to their moral character with extreme hostility. How many times has a dude who doesn’t give to homeless charities told you to give money to charities instead of directly to homeless people? That’s not about approaching the problem in a better way, it’s about the guy squaring his personal indifference against somebody who takes action and makes the first guy feel weird for not doing anything. The good thing has to be bad, actually, or the guy doing nothing is going to have to acknowledge some things about himself that he doesn’t want to acknowledge.

I often walk by a bar I used to go to every night, and I see a lot of people I used to hang out with every night, and it’s slightly tense now. We’re long past the point where they ask if I’m going to join them, we barely even wave any more. They’ve all had to find ways to believe that it’s fine to crowd around a table and breathe into each other, I’ve made it pretty clear that I won’t be joining them in that belief, so that’s pretty much it. We have mutually exclusive views about what the world is and how a person should behave in it. I mostly had good relationships with these people and I don’t wish them any harm, but if I’m ever going to come back and hang out with them, it won’t be soon.

Somebody has to be wrong here. The thing is bad or it isn’t, and if it is, that means it’s been bad to pretend it isn’t bad all this time. That’s a pretty heavy idea, I totally understand why people are coming up with reasons why they can’t possibly be culpable in any of it, but I can’t join them in that. The bar was empty when I walked by earlier tonight. It’s cold, but that doesn’t usually stop anybody. Maybe they’re thinking about it again. I hope so.

good way to put it

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

loving poo poo everyone itt needs to watch Station Eleven on HBO Max. it’s about a superflu that ends all society

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Arivia posted:

I did everything perfect too and I got the corona anyway so I think you’ve got bigger problems than just being told you’re not perfect

That was me in character as the brunch crew who did the minimum of what can be expected of them and expect to be elevated to messiah status

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

blue squares posted:

loving poo poo everyone itt needs to watch Station Eleven on HBO Max. it’s about a superflu that ends all society

It's out today right?

Remember seeing online ads for it.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Lol
https://twitter.com/SquawkCNBC/status/1471823585522114566?t=c8_sWuF39uXn0Yk3ONpbhQ&s=19

https://twitter.com/SquawkCNBC/status/1471823653432180739?t=PwMZsgj1chvieXb2DLaSWQ&s=19

https://twitter.com/SquawkCNBC/status/1471823788279058437?t=m3obFUoV-JFd-BILvwNalA&s=19

Peak!

xiaoren
Dec 9, 2021

xiaoren posted:

meanwhile i am calling daily cases breaking the weekly periodic pattern we've had for two years within i a week.

e: disregard this, it happened regularly the surges last winter, i am a dunce. it did happen this week, still.

sweden rolling 7 for the last 90 days, if anyone cares.

very mild spread

xiaoren fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Dec 17, 2021

CPU Abuser
Oct 3, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 66 days!

Nothus posted:

I love how they trot the lab leak out everytime there's a surge.

That's Alina Chan, schlepping her book.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I feel like this is the sort of stuff they'd be blasting on the evening news if they wanted to scare people into doing something

"Person dies slowly and painfully of COVID" isn't newsworthy at all, but the news is glad to carry the stories of anyone who claims to have had bad reactions to the vaccines!

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Good thing moustaches have never had any tangential connection to mass death of any kind before.

Grabnar
Nov 24, 2017

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Remember how yesterday :denmark: had a conspicuous 9,999 cases? Well today it's a cool 11,194. Omicron makes up more than 20% of newly infected and there are now 11,559 cases total.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
I'm sure people will take advantage of the holiday season to be extra careful and social distance

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

External Organs posted:

Just realized that it's too bad home improvement isn't around to make a Wilson in a mask joke to convince America that wearing a mask is good and proper.

E Depois do Adeus
Jun 3, 2012

Nobody has better respect for intelligence than Donald Trump.

What do we think, unrealistically pessimistic? and no i will not turn off flux

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

What the gently caress does the tiger represent in this metaphor if delta covid is just a pigeon

xiaoren
Dec 9, 2021

also, the share of total 0-9 year olds with confirmed infection that were infected just this last week is at 6%, was 5% yesterday.

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

Hopper posted:

Good thing moustaches have never had any tangential connection to mass death of any kind before.

great now i gotta worry about pigeon hitler now too

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

What the gently caress does the tiger represent in this metaphor if delta covid is just a pigeon

Economic consequences?

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

I bet that in January or later, there's going to be a bunch of celebrities passing away due to their life long battle against cancer or whatever conditions they had. Nothing to do with Covid, nooo sir!

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
https://twitter.com/johnvvariety/status/1471567609795694600?t=HnIkLqy0hL3QhCBTApSBRQ&s=19

Mr. Pizza
Oct 5, 2009

whoa I'm hearing that Trump "undermined" covid response for politics?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I speculate there will not be an Omicron targeted vaccine.
What's cool is we won't bother and then Pi will have a couple more mutations so existing vaccines won't work on it at all and it will be like "oh hey if we had made an omicron vaccine it would still have been 75% effective against this but we didn't at all, oh well."

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Platystemon posted:

The Dentec 400 NX is more distinctive, but, well, I’ll let you decide.

That looks cool. Think I'll check out the manufacturer's site.

Oh no

goth smoking cloves
Feb 28, 2011

Mr. Pizza posted:

whoa I'm hearing that Trump "undermined" covid response for politics?

Good thing it stopped once he left office

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

andromeda strain

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

quote:

The analogy we use around here sometimes, and I think is accurate, is if a jayvee team puts on Lakers uniforms that doesn't make them Kobe Bryant," Obama said, resorting to an uncharacteristically flip analogy. "I think there is a distinction between the capacity and reach of a bin Laden and a network that is actively planning major terrorist plots against the homeland versus jihadists who are engaged in various local power struggles and disputes, often sectarian.

"Let's just keep in mind, Falluja is a profoundly conservative Sunni city in a country that, independent of anything we do, is deeply divided along sectarian lines. And how we think about terrorism has to be defined and specific enough that it doesn't lead us to think that any horrible actions that take place around the world that are motivated in part by an extremist Islamic ideology are a direct threat to us or something that we have to wade into.

MetaMeme
Apr 30, 2017

You may boorishly refer to it as "Pickpocketing", but I prefer "Urban Foraging".

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

can't believe trump is still preventing osha from deploying effective regulations to protect workers from airborne transmission of a potentially debilitating or fatal disease

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Loving that the Health Minister who just had COVID is urging caution at the totally maskless presser. :rubby:

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

blue squares posted:

Having read the book, it's far too positive a story for this thread.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Real Mean Queen posted:

Exactly. Either the doomers in the respirators are wrong, or the people at the applebees have done something unconscionable. We have to be wrong in order for them to maintain their view of themselves as intelligent, moral human beings.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Spoondick posted:

great now i gotta worry about pigeon hitler now too

Hmmm, pigeon stalin will probably not be enough to distract you...

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
There are limits to Leonardi’s power.

https://twitter.com/fitterhappierAJ/status/1471578483604267016
https://twitter.com/fitterhappierAJ/status/1471579941028474888
https://twitter.com/fitterhappierAJ/status/1471580850609401856

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Leon Sumbitches posted:

Having read the book, it's far too positive a story for this thread.

the first episode sure ain’t. it’s terrifying

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
remind me to not reply to eric fiegl-ding tweets at night, gently caress. woke up to 100+ replies and a guy asking me if i finger my rear end to child hospitalization statistics

we're so hosed lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

I actually don't understand one thing. Congress and Biden are all old af. Most of the treatment are vastly reduced verse Omicron. Why aren't they a bit concerned for their own personal safety? I get that they are all happy to sacrifice us for Capital but will they be willing to sacrifice themselves? Do they have zero self-preservation sense?