Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Some fault of the driver. When operating a two-ton death machine at lethal velocities in the middle of the night you should exercise heightened awareness and anticipate the people around you doing something stupid.

okay but what if im driving a three-to-four ton death machine? ever think about that dum dum? it's called i n e r t i a. you try stopping a four-ton death machine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

https://twitter.com/yalemiki275/status/1472808965415137282

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

someusername posted:

Upstate local musician takes his girlfriend's keys so she won't DWI home from a bar on the outskirts of Syracuse.

She starts walking home instead of waiting for him to finish his set, gets hit and killed. No fault of the driver, she stumbled into the lane at 2am or whatever.

DA charging the boyfriend who took her keys away with manslaughter, naturally.

The right to drive (drunk) must not be infringed.

lmfao.

Absolute insanity. gently caress that DA too

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

lobster shirt posted:

aside from just straight up not paying attention (looking at phones and stuff) it really does seem like a lot of people keep their eyes fixed like directly in front of their cars, never scanning the road or checking mirrors. you gotta maintain situational awareness!

they redid a street near me with the European style zig-zag sidelines as you approach the crosswalk and helped redirect my eyes very quickly to scan the sides of the street as I passed.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
Took a blind man on a tandem bike ride the other day, since his previous biking partner left the city a few years ago. Nearly get hit by a car in a completely pedestrianised area of the waterfront, because this dickhead driver only looked to his left while pulling out of a carpark across a footpath onto another foot traffic priority area, as we approached from his right.

Fortunately I don't trust drivers so managed to avoid him hitting us

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Xaris posted:

okay but what if im driving a three-to-four ton death machine? ever think about that dum dum? it's called i n e r t i a. you try stopping a four-ton death machine

well the pedestrian in front of you is gonna give it an honest effort

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
Would love a paradigm where city planners, city council, and special transportation district chairs are held criminally responsible for putting pedestrians on dark streets where they get runover by cars. Until that maybe we could redacted

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

theres an old US folk tradition i would like to see come back, where when someone elected to office shows themselves to be enough of a shitheel, the local population would show up at their home in the middle of the night and use hand tools to completely demolish it

the idea is to remove the family first and make them watch, ive gathered

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Hello I'm from Europe and I hate cars.

I've read all the stories here about how the US sucks because it was designed around cars (which is very true - I've driven there, and tried and failed to walk to places that should be within walking distance but have no "sidewalk"). Over here, we have a different problem: cities that very much were not designed around cars, but have them anyway.

When I lived in London I very rarely drove. If I did, I took a relaxed attitude towards time - if you reckon with an average progress of 5mph, you're never disappointed/enraged. But other London drivers disagree, and are very angry they can't get from A to B as if they were on a rural A-road.

The side roads are even worse. Here's a typical residential road in inner London

Note the percentage of width given over to parking, leaving enough space for around 1.4 cars to pass each other without ducking in and out of parking spaces (these are almost always 2-way streets). As a cyclist you pretty much have to ride dead centre to avoid being doored. Sometimes these have 20mph limits but often 30, and people bomb down them at 40 as well.

Efforts to restrict rat-running, by creating so-called Low-Traffic Neighbourhoods, result in howls of outrage, threats to vote out any councillors who dare to suggest such a thing, and the destruction of bollards/planters/concrete barriers used to split up the through-routes. Oh and a cascade of concern-trolling about ambulances and disabled people.

It's sad because unlike most of the US, London is ready-made to be carless, but the car brain has infected even the central Londoners.

Now I live in the Netherlands, which is well known as a cycling paradise (the Dutch think they have the best everything, which isn't quite true, but they're right about their cycling infrastructure). The Clarksonite Brits probably think this makes it driving hell, but it's actually the most pleasant place I've driven. All you have to do is remember you're not top of the food chain, and learn when to give way to bikes and pedestrians (most of the time). So yes, driving hell for a car supremacist.

The Dutch do make up for this on the motorways though, where they don't have to watch out for anyone, and stopping distances are something that happens to other people. Lest you think I'm suggesting a compromise with the cars - no, this country is still too car friendly. But the concerted effort from the 1970s to "stop murdering our children" introduced at least some unfriendliness that makes cycling or walking a better option in many cases.

Here's a cross-country road near me. This has a 60km/h limit, and is designed not to be comfortably wide enough for 2 cars - but it is uncomfortably wide enough. So if you put your foot down and don't pay attention, you'll probably lose a wing mirror to a passing tractor

The idea being that you don't use this as a rat-run when the (parallel) motorway's a bit busy.

Note also the generously sized cycle path that runs the whole way alongside. (E)bikes, scooters, mobility scooters, manual wheelchairs, weird balance wheel things, all get the VIP treatment while cars dodge onto the rumble strips.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
What's the first picture in the thread? I mean other than "everywhere". There's a skyline forever in the distance but it's too far for me to identify it at a glance

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
Brampton Ontario.

Local news is lauding the completion of an 8-mile bike path after 7 years. Mayor says its something future generations will look back on favorably lmao

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
lets get carpilled

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1472968788412882947

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Becoming a master of this style and using it to choke out drivers one by one until there are none left

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

good pup :3:

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

Milo and POTUS posted:

What's the first picture in the thread? I mean other than "everywhere". There's a skyline forever in the distance but it's too far for me to identify it at a glance

Vaughan, Ontario. often featured on thread favourite channel not just bikes

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

https://twitter.com/samdman95/status/1473004355318075399?s=20

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

oh my god I hate these goblins so much

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

its well known that cars modified for paraplegic people to drive are very affordable for most people, even cheaper than stock unmodified cars. it's ableist to hate parking therefore.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

anyway saturday night a wrong way drunk driver killed two people in a highway crash. great transport system we have set up here overall where bars have minimum parking requirements and people actually hop in the freeway to drive to them. if only there was a less dangerous way to get around. cant think of any.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

It's beautiful

https://twitter.com/dmtrubman/status/1473360872089133063?s=20

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Another image of the same railway:

The idea of taking an open-air trolley into the mountains is so lovely. Of course, you wouldn't be able to blast your favorite podcast and stop at every other Starbucks drive-thru, so I can see why they tore it down.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

lol life for the average person could be so much better than it is :unsmith:

:smith:

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

We have a few lines that sort of still do this (e.g. Blue Ridge Scenic Railway, Durango-Silverton Railway), but they're still treated as a destination rather than a mode of travel. You can't take a train from Atlanta to Blue Ridge. You have to drive there.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
These are the newest trains in Moscow, they are pretty nice except for one issue…fabric seats.

an actual frog
Mar 1, 2007

HEH, HEH, HEH!
This is doing the rounds on twitter so you might have already seen it but if not, please enjoy the following traffic calming measure in action. It's designed to stop large commercial vehicles cutting through residential streets, and help enforce the 20mph limit

https://twitter.com/WorldBollard/status/1447848931031928833

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
europe fuckin' owns

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Ardennes posted:

These are the newest trains in Moscow, they are pretty nice except for one issue…fabric seats.

lol BART had fabric seats for like 50 years. it wasnt until like 2015 that they got rid of them. just the dumbest decision

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I don't understand how this works. Do they swing in from the side?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Fitzy Fitz posted:

you don't speed through like a psychopathic american on a death drive to apple bees angered that you lost 2 seconds of time at the last light because someone didn't accelerate quick enough

even a ford f150 is only about 6'-6" which leaves 6" of clearance (assuming you dont have those dumb aftermarket cab steps protruding). easy enough to do just do it slow instead of like a dumb rear end driver

edit: i think i misunderstood you, an actual frog explained it. they're just cast-in-place bollards and there's a sign there showing the posting Width Limit (and a Speed Limit). point is to get people coming off the nearby freeway at like 70 mph to slow down to 20 mph when they enter town so they don't plow through a bunch of pedestrians at immense kinetic energy.

every town should have em, its a good idea.

Xaris has issued a correction as of 22:19 on Dec 22, 2021

an actual frog
Mar 1, 2007

HEH, HEH, HEH!

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Nah, they're static. These drivers are just awful at judging space. RHD country so they've no idea where the passenger side of their car ends and run their left wheel up the drop-curb then into bollard

an actual frog
Mar 1, 2007

HEH, HEH, HEH!
See also: giving cyclists "plenty of space" when passing :argh:

Xaris posted:

every town should have em, its a good idea.
:hmmyes:

an actual frog has issued a correction as of 22:42 on Dec 22, 2021

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

Fitzy Fitz posted:

This is going to blow your mind but

A lot of people are very bad at driving and clearly fail a basic practical test in real world conditions

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
I'd be shocked if most people didn't just drive around the bollards onto the wrong side of the road

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

El Pollo Blanco posted:

I'd be shocked if most people didn't just drive around the bollards onto the wrong side of the road

If you did it in a car brained broken society, they absolutely would. And complain about how dangerous the intersection is

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010

Polo-Rican posted:

Nowadays, when north american cities discuss streetcars or transit, it's generally just a deal between local government and the real estate lobby to boost property values along the transit line, and they don't give a fraction of a poo poo about actually building a good transportation system for the working class

Dredging this one up because it's been this way for over a century: the trolleys and interurbans that this thread jacks itself dry to were the product of real-estate schemes in what are now the inner suburbs, and were abandoned or turned over to local governments as soon as the real estate schemes played out.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
gently caress i hate cars

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

El Pollo Blanco posted:

the video makes it look like the other side also has bollards and the middle lane is a bus lane, so presumably people would just declare themselves a bus and drive down the middle

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
https://twitter.com/RayDubicki/status/1473850546192670720?t=YoH25VXSuVEG0T-4fd3RsA&s=19
:unsmigghh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

https://twitter.com/WorldBollard/status/1473666026055344135