Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

drat the analogue pocket actually looks pretty cool in action. can i load it with roms instead of owning cartridges.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Not officially but all the Analogue systems get a jailbreak released by totally not one of the devs shortly after release that allows for loading ROMs.

The Pocket also has 2 unique FPGAs on it which means enterprising users will be able to load their own cores to open up different system compatibilities like NES and SNES.

Mine is showing up tomorrow. :slick:

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

actually i still have a few gba cartridges. dunno why zero mission isn't one of them. also i think i have wario land for gb loose in a box somewhere

edit huge fail on my part to not put the mario advance cart in the new smb case.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I watched a couple videos on the Analogue Pocket and now I want one although I don't want to spend $200 on it. Good day

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Yeah the price always keeps me from getting one. It’s just right out of what I want to pay.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

The screen modes that simulate the pixel grid on a real GB look fuckawesome.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Pablo Nergigante posted:

It's insane. The GB Pocket and GBC are by far my most nostalgic gaming consoles, and seeing the way the screen looks like with those dot matrix display modes just feels perfect.

This is the best video I've seen that really dives into what's going on with the screen. Jump to 14 minutes for the screen stuff. The GBC mode where it emulates the LCD subpixels is wild and looks so good.

https://youtu.be/Ro9QQrTOnT0

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

it looks sick but i dont like how unprotected the games seem when slotted in. im sure they seat firmly in but i would be paranoid i would knock the game out

copy
Jul 26, 2007

been finding reasons to go to the room where I keep all my old gameboy and gba games ever since i watched that video lol. looks so loving cool

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I've been putting off a Mother 3 replay for a few years waiting for this thing to show up.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Yeah I did the BennVenn mod to my GBC which is really nice, but the pixelated look of the screen due to it not being 1:1 always bothered me:

It makes it look emulatory and ruins ~my immersion~

I am gonna get this thing: https://retrogamerepairshop.com/products/funnyplaying-game-boy-color-2-0-q5-ips-laminated-backlight-kit

It has that pixel grid thing too which I've never seen in a GBC mod.

This guy who reviews screens said there's no more of those smudged color issues the older IPS screen mods had so I am hype

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

Yeah I did the BennVenn mod to my GBC which is really nice, but the pixelated look of the screen due to it not being 1:1 always bothered me:

It makes it look emulatory and ruins ~my immersion~

I am gonna get this thing: https://retrogamerepairshop.com/products/funnyplaying-game-boy-color-2-0-q5-ips-laminated-backlight-kit

It has that pixel grid thing too which I've never seen in a GBC mod.

This guy who reviews screens said there's no more of those smudged color issues the older IPS screen mods had so I am hype

i put that exact one into my gbc and its sick

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
:cheersdoge: awesome, I can't wait to get mine. I also love how apparently the screen is flush with the glass so it makes the GBC screen look like a cell phone screen

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

mbt posted:

it looks sick but i dont like how unprotected the games seem when slotted in. im sure they seat firmly in but i would be paranoid i would knock the game out

Yeah, all the reviews say it feels super secure though. Plus a jailbreak firmware will almost definitely come out to let you just boot roms from an SD card anyway

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
That peripheral video showed everything fitting really snug on the Analogue Pocket, even stuff like the Game Boy Camera and Wario Ware Twisted with its huge weird card. The only accessory he could find that didn't fit well was the Game Boy Game Genie. It worked but due to the way it was made it was easy to crash the system from moving it with it attached.

Edit: Another video I saw the guy used the Analogue Pocket Game Gear adapter with the official original Sega Master System adapter, then with a full sized Sega Master System cart in it and it stayed in perfectly too lol

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Dec 17, 2021

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

That peripheral video showed everything fitting really snug on the Analogue Pocket, even stuff like the Game Boy Camera and Wario Ware Twisted with its huge weird card. The only accessory he could find that didn't fit well was the Game Boy Game Genie. It worked but due to the way it was made it was easy to crash the system from moving it with it attached.

i once used a gameshark with pokemon pinball and pinball's weak rumble pulled the gameshark out of my gameboy

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

elf help book posted:

i once used a gameshark with pokemon pinball and pinball's weak rumble pulled the gameshark out of my gameboy

Lol I'm surprised it just flat out didn't boot up due to all the power it was using.

I have that sick Dreamcast VMU mod with the front lit screen mod (it's kinda like that old Portable Monopoly/Afterburner GBA screen mod people used to do back in 2002) and it also has a permanent rechargeable battery instead of that worthless watch battery that dies in a week. You charge the VMU simply by having it plugged into the Dreamcast controller so you never even have to think about it. But when I had that VMU plugged in, and the DC rumble pack in at the same time, the controller would constantly freak out from all the power it was using. So all I did was the only thing I could think of and I opened the DC and twisted the controller port fuse so it was simply a bridge that bypassed the fuse and it fixed it lol

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

elf help book posted:

Good.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Lol I'm surprised it just flat out didn't boot up due to all the power it was using.

I have that sick Dreamcast VMU mod with the front lit screen mod (it's kinda like that old Portable Monopoly/Afterburner GBA screen mod people used to do back in 2002) and it also has a permanent rechargeable battery instead of that worthless watch battery that dies in a week. You charge the VMU simply by having it plugged into the Dreamcast controller so you never even have to think about it. But when I had that VMU plugged in, and the DC rumble pack in at the same time, the controller would constantly freak out from all the power it was using. So all I did was the only thing I could think of and I opened the DC and twisted the controller port fuse so it was simply a bridge that bypassed the fuse and it fixed it lol

weve all done this

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

cool, I've done the same thing but before you did it so basically you are copying me.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

That Little Demon posted:

cool, I've done the same thing but before you did it so basically you are copying me.

lol

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

elf help book posted:

weve all done this

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

That Little Demon posted:

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

unrealistic; the mutant’s teeth would have shattered like glass while the Game Boy remained unblemished

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Im perfectly willing to spend 200 on an analogue pocket but i went to their website and it says if i buy one i'll get it in 2023. so i'm not doing that

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

bad rear end

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

Yeah that artwork owns

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Cart Mountain
Nov 1, 2004

rip new jack

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

He was kind of a piece of poo poo. But RIP.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

New Jack’s book is a hosed up read

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

SEG FOR IT

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

You still don’t know what you’re dealing with do you? Perfect game. I admire its purity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Sub-Actuality posted:

You still don’t know what you’re dealing with do you? Perfect game. I admire its purity

Lmao