Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Levantine posted:

I'm not sure what's better - them playing this over the top ironically or someone on design thinking that's unironically the coolest poo poo. I'm down either way.

There's no way the funny bits aren't intentionally funny, but it doesn't seem ironic, more sorta straight faced high camp. They DO think it's the coolest poo poo with all sincerity, even the goofy dumb parts they know are goofy and dumb. It kinda feels like Resident Evil 4?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Asterite34 posted:

There's no way the funny bits aren't intentionally funny, but it doesn't seem ironic, more sorta straight faced high camp. They DO think it's the coolest poo poo with all sincerity, even the goofy dumb parts they know are goofy and dumb. It kinda feels like Resident Evil 4?

Yeah I can't really put my finger on how much winking the game is doing, really, but it's definitely going all in with whatever it's doing and making no apologies. Either way, it seems like it's going to be a blast.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Final Fantasy as a series is defined by being deadly serious in hilarious ways.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
RE4 seems like a pretty good comparison. It felt like Leon, in his preparation to Save the President's Daughter, watched a million action movies and took notes on all the best lines and cool stunts. He sounds ridiculous and corny, but he also does actually do cool action movie stuff, and his antagonists act like action movie bad guys. The game understood what it was and took itself as seriously in context as it needed to. If Stranger of Paradise can keep itself in that mindset then it will end up being a great time.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Blockhouse posted:

https://twitter.com/fforigin/status/1472628043252387847

that red mage fire sword combo thing looks sick

Jack-of-all-trades, Samurai Jack, and Jumping Jack :v:

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Am I wrong for just kind of assuming Origins is going to end partway through retelling FF1? I just get the feeling they're going to end it after the earth cave or something and leave the back half for a sequel.

^^^^^ Should saved the white mage to go with the black mage for Jack White and Jack Black.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I feel like there has to be a reason there's a level that's straight up from FF13. isn't that what the deal was?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

I can def see how some of the boss fights drag a bit in VIIR but it seems like its to promote cinematic MMO style fights and phase transitions. Normally I whine about that kinda thing but so far it feels appropriate.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

i'm 100% all for the lengthier complicated boss fights

could do with a bit less plod in the plot and talky-bits so far, though

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

I hope Cloud's bootcamp buddy is a reoccuring char and constantly tries to talk to Cloud every encounter rather than fight and survives to the end but progressively more annoyed and exasperated each encounter.

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Dec 20, 2021

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Am I wrong for just kind of assuming Origins is going to end partway through retelling FF1? I just get the feeling they're going to end it after the earth cave or something and leave the back half for a sequel.

^^^^^ Should saved the white mage to go with the black mage for Jack White and Jack Black.

I mean, they've shown a Tiamat boss fight in the E3 trailer

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Do you think we will ever get a remaster of the original FF7 like 1-6 have? The remake had me go back and start playing the steam version of FF7 and it is just showing how poor of a port it is.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

I would rather get a pixel demake akin to DQ11's special edition before we get a upscale/remaster of the original.

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004

Zil posted:

Do you think we will ever get a remaster of the original FF7 like 1-6 have? The remake had me go back and start playing the steam version of FF7 and it is just showing how poor of a port it is.

God I hope not.

I think the goal is Octopath engine remakes.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Zil posted:

Someone will do a garbage ai upscaled version and people will trip over themselves praising it's vomit inducing graphics.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Zil posted:

No, because this is their plan for the boomers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6ZDKZfr-i0

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Tae posted:

ew

I just wanted a version that doesn't lock up or crash because I had the audacity to alt-tab to reply to something in discord.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Tae posted:

That actually looks pretty good...

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

the aesthetic is great yeah

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Gaius Marius posted:

Someone will do a garbage ai upscaled version and people will trip over themselves praising it's vomit inducing graphics.

that already exists, https://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=20434.0

haven't tried it but it came out last year

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

I think it looks really good. The only downsides are being mobile-only for now, episodic and being free-to-play with a lootbox system for weapons and costumes.

Maybe once all the episodes have been released they'll make a paid version on Switch. I just want an RPG that's balanced around what you find in-game.

E: Until then, if I want to play any PS1 game with pre-rendered graphics I use Duckstation with downsampling. It makes the 3D models blend in much better with the backgrounds. You don't get the razor-sharp polygons of the modern ports or the pixellated Squall face of the PS1 versions. FF8 and 9 in particular are almost CG quality using this.

That Fucking Sned fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Dec 20, 2021

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Mesadoram posted:

That actually looks pretty good...

I wish I didn't have to play it on a phone but maybe it'll get a console port like FF15 Pocket

Mesopotamia
Apr 12, 2010
Has there been any more word on 16?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I hear that The Legacy of the Crystals Has Shaped Our History for Long Enough...

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

bustin keaton posted:

Has there been any more word on 16?

No but its probably next year cos its set for 2023 on pc and ps5 has the excluse of probably a year and the pc date was in the now proven 100% true geforce now leak.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Vikar Jerome posted:

No but its probably next year cos its set for 2023 on pc and ps5 has the excluse of probably a year and the pc date was in the now proven 100% true geforce now leak.

The leak puts the PC release as 3/1/23, so if that’s actually true, we could get the game in 3 months.

Yoshi-P did say he wanted the next infodump to be close to the release date. Who knows, though.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

Having seen everything from Stranger of Paradise so far I'd be surprised if they didn't intend the whole thing to be one big, elaborate shitpost. Seeing the "Final Fantasy bridge-crossing scene" played straight makes me think otherwise though.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Anything I need to know before starting FF3 on the DS?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

bowmore posted:

Don't.

Just, stop, grab the pixel remaster version, and play that instead. Do not play the 3ds version, I repeat, do not play the 3ds version.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Barudak posted:

Don't.

Just, stop, grab the pixel remaster version, and play that instead. Do not play the 3ds version, I repeat, do not play the 3ds version.

Yeah but then I actually have to buy something

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

bowmore posted:

I like it a lot but others don’t. Job levels are kind of important but don’t let that stop you from switching to new jobs. Don’t go into a fight if you have any party members with crystal sickness. Save often

Scholar is the mid game mvp because it does extra damage with attack items.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

bowmore posted:

Yeah but then I actually have to buy something

I would recommend not playing it over playing it unless you have no other options. Surely you have a backlog?

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Barudak posted:

I would recommend not playing it over playing it unless you have no other options. Surely you have a backlog?
Backlog is pretty big yeah

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

how do the moogles look in FF3 PR

how do the moogles look in FF6 PR...

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.

bowmore posted:

It's a good, cute version of the game. Have fun.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

https://twitter.com/wario64/status/1473145092944764929?s=21

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
They’re delaying it two months so it can be fully 2DHD.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
They need time to figure out how to make Sketch brick your system.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Help I started FFXII The Zodiac Age and it’s a huge improvement over the original and also owns, how do I stop myself from playing it every minute I’m not working?

Also, I have Basch as a monk, if I equip him with a shield does he not count as barehanded? I gave him the accessory that makes him punch harder and have the license ability plus a bunch of Battle Lore licenses so he is punching the poo poo out of every enemy and it rules.

Edit: I grinded a bunch of money and exp chaining skeletons in the Lhusu Mines and felt cocky so when I was in Dalmasca Westersand I tried to steal from Gnoma Entite and run away but it murdered my whole team :laugh: truly the quintessential FFXII experience.

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Dec 21, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Help I started FFXII The Zodiac Age and it’s a huge improvement over the original and also owns, how do I stop myself from playing it every minute I’m not working?

Also, I have Basch as a monk, if I equip him with a shield does he not count as barehanded? I gave him the accessory that makes him punch harder and have the license ability plus a bunch of Battle Lore licenses so he is punching the poo poo out of every enemy and it rules.

Edit: I grinded a bunch of money and exp chaining skeletons in the Lhusu Mines and felt cocky so when I was in Dalmasca Westersand I tried to steal from Gnoma Entite and run away but it murdered my whole team :laugh: truly the quintessential FFXII experience.

Are the PC and Switch versions the same? I played it on PC a bit and never finished it, but playing handheld would be an absolute treat and it's on sale for $25 right now.