Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Yeah, it's definitely there in the books during their portion of the trek, but it's never shown before or after. It feels like something Jordan considered exploring and then kind of dropped. Or it was just a trauma response to them being the only two known survivors of Shadar Logoth.

It's also been there since Episode 1 in the show, and I'm confused as to how anyone could miss it. They weren't exactly subtle with the long looks and the dialogue. My non-reader wife mentioned it during the first episode so it wasn't just me seeing it.

The insertion/amplification of this plotline is pretty unfortunate and unnecessary. Love Triangle = Good Drama is the laziest bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Love triangles: lazy, uninspired, juvenile.
Love quadrangles: fresh, exciting, revelatory.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I want the love pentagram
Make it happen rafe

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

I won't be satisfied until we get a love icosahedron.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

everyone should be in love with everyone at all times, especially narg

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I love narg

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Devorum posted:

Yeah, it's definitely there in the books during their portion of the trek, but it's never shown before or after. It feels like something Jordan considered exploring and then kind of dropped. Or it was just a trauma response to them being the only two known survivors of Shadar Logoth.

It's also been there since Episode 1 in the show, and I'm confused as to how anyone could miss it. They weren't exactly subtle with the long looks and the dialogue. My non-reader wife mentioned it during the first episode so it wasn't just me seeing it.

The insertion/amplification of this plotline is pretty unfortunate and unnecessary. Love Triangle = Good Drama is the laziest bullshit.

I guess it was just me who interpreted that as a non-romantic love from the start, I never ever got the impression otherwise in the books. Nor in the show until the last ep.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Nitrousoxide posted:

I don’t think I saw a single person suggest Perrin had a thing for Egwane before Nyneave started stirring poo poo about it. Not even TV only folks who wouldn’t have book Perrin coloring their perception of him.

I was posting about it from midway through the season. The hints were there.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Nitrousoxide posted:

I don’t think I saw a single person suggest Perrin had a thing for Egwane before Nyneave started stirring poo poo about it. Not even TV only folks who wouldn’t have book Perrin coloring their perception of him.

I know someone said it in the Maiden of the Spear show, and I feel like I remember seeing 1 or 2 non-book reader reactions talk about it

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

MegaZeroX posted:

I know someone said it in the Maiden of the Spear show, and I feel like I remember seeing 1 or 2 non-book reader reactions talk about it

Yeah, people definitely said it. I just dismissed it at the time because it can go nowhere.

Genuine question: do Perrin and Egwene speak to one another in a single scene together in the entirety of books 2-11? There are points in the books where they could have interacted (Shienar, Tear, Camelyn in LOC) but I don't think they actually do until they meet again in the World of Dreams.

Old Kentucky Shark fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Dec 21, 2021

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

crepeface posted:

lol so far it's like one guy who can't deal with anything different to his interpretation.

combining with tbb pedantry with tviv obliviousness is like combining shadar logoth darkness with dark one evil

there are more than one people itt who can't deal with other people having different opinions about a fantasy show

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Yeah, people definitely said it. I just dismissed it at the time because it can go nowhere.

Genuine question: do Perrin and Egwene speak to one another in a single scene together in the entirety of books 2-11? There are points in the books where they could have interacted (Shienar, Tear, Camelyn in LOC) but I don't think they actually do until they meet again in the World of Dreams.

They have a very brief crossover in TAR in book 3. There's definitely nothing in LoC, Egwene's in Salidar by the time Perrin arrives

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Rarity posted:

They have a very brief crossover in TAR in book 3. There's definitely nothing in LoC, Egwene's in Salidar by the time Perrin arrives

Oh that's right, she sees Perrin bound in chains and he yells at her to gently caress off. And then they literally don't speak again until Perrin helps her during the battle of the White Tower, and then they are both signatories to the Dragon's Truce, and then they never meet again.

Buck loving wild love triangle.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

At least Pegwene brought us the: it's just a weave line

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Bunch of CW drama itt

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Bunch of CW drama itt

Who wants to be in my love triangle? :heysexy:

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I want the love pentagram
Make it happen rafe

Devorum posted:

I won't be satisfied until we get a love icosahedron.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

Nitrousoxide posted:

I guess you haven't been following this or the TVIV thread. Show only goons picked up on it immediately in episode 1. Goon book readers noticed it too but were in denial and hoping the show wouldn't go there and have been posting about it in here all season.

7 episodes of Pegwene hints and then the dialog making it explicit fact later in episode 7 and we've still got multiple goons in denial.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

i pronounce this the Shipping Chart

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

SerSpook posted:

the sexagon

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Zen Rand is kind of cool. Reading Towers of Midnight and Rand has reintegrated? Lewis Therins voice apparently. He just showed up to Egwene and that was a interesting scene.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
My prediction on season two hook is a collar clicking around Scottish Blue lady, who said she was headed to Falme in e4 or whenever.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Hollismason posted:

Zen Rand is kind of cool. Reading Towers of Midnight and Rand has reintegrated? Lewis Therins voice apparently. He just showed up to Egwene and that was a interesting scene.

That whole sequence is one of my all time favorites in the series. It's such a good combination of flipping everything on it's head and an "outsider" perspective, showing how different Rand has become through the eyes of the tower AS who are losing their absolute poo poo. Mix in the max level ta'veren warping for the cherry on top.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Hollismason posted:

I love this chapter. It's a breath if fresh air after all the mistrust and silence and madness. Sure Egwene still opposes Rands plan and isn't trusting him, but Rand coming into the Tower on his own, and the Aes Sedai letting him come and go is such a powerful moment compared to how these people would have interacted just a book before. Rand of course has reached his zen moment, and the Aes Sedai have their own reckoning and change.

Dingleberry2
Jul 23, 2001

The Perrin/Egwene thing was definitely there in the books. It was subtle and probably dropped after their characters not interacting anymore. By the time they see each other again in Tear, Perrin is fully in Faile mode, except with Berelain now as the "what if" girl.

I believe in the books Ewgene also gives him a friend zone kiss before running off to dance with Aram. And in the show it's pretty obvious she was either oblivious or had already friend zoned Perrin in her mind, as she gave zero indication that she returned anything for Perrin.

And I do appreciate that the show is trying to humanize the E5 a bit. In the books they were pretty much all perfect, always doing the 'right thing' until later in the series when they started to all deal with inner conflict. While that makes for interesting inner monologue reading, it's probably not in the best interest of the show to try to wait to give these characters humanizing traits in Season 3 instead of now.

That being said, the characterizations would also come off better if the writing was sharper. So much time is spent on jilted exposition that it really undermines any attempts at natural conversation flow.

Dingleberry2
Jul 23, 2001

SerSpook posted:

Bela is missing from the chart, therefore it is not the One True Shipping Chart.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Dingleberry2 posted:

Bela is missing from the chart, therefore it is not the One True Shipping Chart.

bela is the manifestation of the Shipping Chart

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

SerSpook posted:

bela is the manifestation of the Shipping Chart

You can't see bela on the chart because she IS the chart

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

CainFortea posted:

You can't see bela on the chart because she IS the chart

That's when Bela was carrying you.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Devorum posted:

That's when Bela was carrying you.

I looked back, and saw not just a set of foot prints, but also a set of hoof prints.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Nothing in the rulebook says a horse can't be ta'veren.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
Cross posting from the TVIV thread.

Everyone says the show feels rushed. Lets take the page count of the book being adapted by the number of episodes and see if we can glean anything useful.

WoT season 1. 97.75 pages adapted per episode.

If they cram all 11,989 pages into 64 episodes that's 185 pages per episode.

For comparison GoT season 1 was 69 pages (nice) per episode

By the end of season 4 it was down to 60 pages per episode.

ASoIF will never be finished, but for comparisons sake lets pretend GRRM actually pulled it off and books 6 and 7 come in at 1200 pages each. Putting the series at 6,644 pages

GoT at 73 episodes to adapt 6644 pages or 91 pages per episode.

Season 7 & 8 adapted 2400 pages or 184 pages per episode.

I don't think this is definitive or anything, but it does point towards why the show feels as rushed as it is. WoT is already off to a much faster pace than the GoT adaption and it's going to have to average the speed of GoT season 7 & 8 over all 8 seasons to fit in the 64 episodes pitched by Rafe.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

there is literally no point in which rafe has ever said he only wanted 8 episode seasons and would only do 8 of them

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Reading Tower's of Midnight right now and just got to a Gholam encounter with Mat. Really curious how they're going to kill the gholam since only the medallion seems to be able to hurt it. My guess is Aludras fireworks.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Honestly, this is Perrin's biggest problem vis a vis the entire series. Once he heads off to Emond's Field in TDR, he's pretty much out of the series as far as the rest of the cast is concerned except for showing up for Dumai's Wells and the big treaty signing in AMoL. Other than that, he spends all of his time with his own crew doing his own thing. Even at the Last Battle, he spends all his time chasing Slayer around rather than working with anyone else in the cast.

If there's anything I'd change, it's to include Perrin back in the deck. A lot of the fun of the series is in how the cast keeps getting reshuffled around.

Take Egwene for example. She starts off with the whole group, then hangs out with Perrin and Elyas, then she's back with everyone, then she and Nynaeve are travelling, then she's in the Tower with Nynaeve, Min, and Elayne, then after Falme, she, Nynaeve, Verin, Elayne, and Mat travel together, then she goes Black Ajah hunting with Nynaeve and Elayne, then she travels with Rand, Mat, Moriane, and Lan into the Wastes, then she spends time with the Wise Ones and Aviendha, then she's flirting with Gawyn in Cairihen, then she's at Salidar with the rebel Aes Sedai and Nynaeve and Elayne, then she sends Nynaeve and Elayne to Ebou Dar, then she gets captured by the Tower, then she's finally Amyrlin of all Aes Sedai and it's the race to the Last Battle where she dies.

Look at all the various members of the cast Egwene spends whole books with and compare it to poor Perrin who pretty much just gets Faile, Berelain, the Emond's Fielders, and some Aiel from TPoD on.

So yeah, I'd really encourage the show to find ways to keep Perrin involved with everyone else more so that he doesn't feel like he's just visiting from another show entirely.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

perrin is the biggest loose end for them to tie into the rest. i'm sure they'll introduce his major plot beats after a point but find ways to weave it into the narrative a bit better

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Speaking of Perrin's fit:

Now we can officially say that Perrin is 1/8 the blabber Dana was.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

jng2058 posted:

Honestly, this is Perrin's biggest problem vis a vis the entire series. Once he heads off to Emond's Field in TDR, he's pretty much out of the series as far as the rest of the cast is concerned except for showing up for Dumai's Wells and the big treaty signing in AMoL. Other than that, he spends all of his time with his own crew doing his own thing. Even at the Last Battle, he spends all his time chasing Slayer around rather than working with anyone else in the cast.

If there's anything I'd change, it's to include Perrin back in the deck. A lot of the fun of the series is in how the cast keeps getting reshuffled around.

Take Egwene for example. She starts off with the whole group, then hangs out with Perrin and Elyas, then she's back with everyone, then she and Nynaeve are travelling, then she's in the Tower with Nynaeve, Min, and Elayne, then after Falme, she, Nynaeve, Verin, Elayne, and Mat travel together, then she goes Black Ajah hunting with Nynaeve and Elayne, then she travels with Rand, Mat, Moriane, and Lan into the Wastes, then she spends time with the Wise Ones and Aviendha, then she's flirting with Gawyn in Cairihen, then she's at Salidar with the rebel Aes Sedai and Nynaeve and Elayne, then she sends Nynaeve and Elayne to Ebou Dar, then she gets captured by the Tower, then she's finally Amyrlin of all Aes Sedai and it's the race to the Last Battle where she dies.

Look at all the various members of the cast Egwene spends whole books with and compare it to poor Perrin who pretty much just gets Faile, Berelain, the Emond's Fielders, and some Aiel from TPoD on.

So yeah, I'd really encourage the show to find ways to keep Perrin involved with everyone else more so that he doesn't feel like he's just visiting from another show entirely.

Have Perrin’s quest to chase the Shaido send him through every nation with an ever snowballing army of followers and support from the resident nobility, uniting the continent in truth beyond “oh yeah we totally follow the Dragon.” I don’t know how the other characters tie into this except to have them randomly popping by and being like “drat dude how do you double the size of your army every time I see you.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

MegaZeroX posted:

Speaking of Perrin's fit:

Now we can officially say that Perrin is 1/8 the blabber Dana was.

Clearly he and Laila were made for each other