Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
What do the BJJ people here think about judo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Speaking as a bjj guy I think that the judo guys are all dreamy and handsome

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I just got the blessing ("of course!!") of my coach to start attending a local Judo club to supplement my BJJ; very excited to really learn some solid take down fundamentals.

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

CommonShore posted:

Speaking as a bjj guy I think that the judo guys are all dreamy and handsome

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

Sherbert Hoover posted:

they make me apprehensive because every single one of them i've rolled with have slapped me on the mat before i knew it happened. my only saving grace is that pulling guard is almost automatic in those situations now.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Sherbert Hoover posted:

Judo is sick. when I was in college I was on my colleges Judo team. I'm glad I no longer train Judo. I'd rather train Judo than BJJ in the gi though fwiw.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

The main point of doing Jiu Jitsu is to learn how to defend yourself from attack. That should include punches as well. But most people dont even know these concepts because they really arent taught it. Its more: "hey check out this cool armbar transition".

Who says it should include striking? Should judo spend more time than it does focusing on striking? What about wrestling? Does boxing have the same point? Should boxers train some grappling if they want to be "true" to their sport?

All these sports are so far removed from their martial origins, and I don't you or I can define the "main point" for anyone but ourselves. For me, its the same as any other sport, having fun. Secondary are the fitness, strength and flexibility benefits and the satisfaction of performing and improving a difficult skill, followed by the friends I've made along the way, and somewhere waaay down the list, somewhere below "helps me fall down less" is "might be useful in the exceedingly unlikely event that I have no choice but to defend myself against a single unarmed attacker, and could actually see the fight coming without getting one-punched to the floor. Also I hope I can do that without picking up an assault charge myself."

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

BJJ is a combat sport, where the goal is to positionally dominate your opponent before submitting them.

While I agree that the sport had its roots in a self defence Martial Art, we've had about 30 years of the sport perfecting itself against other trained individuals in a one v. One setting (with various rule sets and timed rounds and various levels of clothing :wink:).

I think that far more people are in bjj for the sportive aspect than the self defence aspect. The self defence thing is a nice side effect of learning to aggressively hug people.

I will admit though, there is something to grappling a dude in a car with simunition firearms.

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

The main point of doing Jiu Jitsu is to learn how to defend yourself from attack. That should include punches as well. But most people dont even know these concepts because they really arent taught it. Its more: "hey check out this cool armbar transition".

The escalation has me concerned though. Just like a bad roll where people can escalate things, throwing punches is way worse. People have jobs to go to and brains to take care of. That coach should have known what the line was and enforced it. Also its horrible for retention.

Agreed. The red flags for me in the above anecdote are one person deciding to add a striking/self-defense component to testing out of nowhere and said testing being violent enough to result in a broken nose (for a stripe?!). You can absolutely make punch and headbutt defense part of your curriculum and train it safely--that's exactly what my old gym did--but there's a right way and a wrong way to do it, and this sounds flawed at best.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
I think a lot of people begin these sports with the idea of self defense. Thinking back, that was why I started judo in my early 20s, and for several years that was my primary motivation. I remember about every 9 months I'd do a self evaluation and decide that 9-month-ago me was pretty badass, but NOW me would make a fool of him. After a few years of being disappointed that I never got to prove myself in "the streets" I started to feel like I didn't, and probably would never, actually need to and should just enjoy the activity for it's own sake.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
If you really want to make your BJJ more self defense oriented, just learn a little MMA on the side and maybe be careful about relying on positions that obviously fall apart if someone can punch you.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Idk about real life fights, haven't done that really except one thing one time but about mid blue belt my buddies stopped wanting to backyard wrestle or mess around because it wasn't fun anymore. Now I'm too old for much of that kind of thing.

Edit: not fun because I could just man-handle them not like I was applying subs or anything.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans

Jack B Nimble posted:

If you really want to make your BJJ more self defense oriented, just learn a little MMA on the side and maybe be careful about relying on positions that obviously fall apart if someone can punch you.

This is the best answer. This will make your sport BJJ better too. Around this area, the MMA purple belts are some of the toughest grapplers and the brown belts are on a whole other level.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

ihop posted:

Who says it should include striking? Should judo spend more time than it does focusing on striking? What about wrestling? Does boxing have the same point? Should boxers train some grappling if they want to be "true" to their sport?

I dont recall Kano training his students for punches, I do however recall Helio doing so for his. Somewhere down the line in many schools, that aspect of jiu jitsu was forgotten about and more time was emphasized on grappling only.

quote:

All these sports are so far removed from their martial origins, and I don't you or I can define the "main point" for anyone but ourselves. For me, its the same as any other sport, having fun. Secondary are the fitness, strength and flexibility benefits and the satisfaction of performing and improving a difficult skill, followed by the friends I've made along the way, and somewhere waaay down the list, somewhere below "helps me fall down less" is "might be useful in the exceedingly unlikely event that I have no choice but to defend myself against a single unarmed attacker, and could actually see the fight coming without getting one-punched to the floor. Also I hope I can do that without picking up an assault charge myself."

I think they become removed when schools no longer teach it for whatever reason.

And sure while you and I may go in for fun, lets not fool ourselves that most people join to learn some sort of self defense aspect. People dont join to sit in the corner and knit. The schools where people are just socializing and "classes" become social hour, dont tend to keep people around or are not in business very long from what Ive seen.

Jack B Nimble posted:

maybe be careful about relying on positions that obviously fall apart if someone can punch you.

You dont have to go the MMA route in order to learn these concepts. Many schools teach these concepts as part of jiu jitsu classes, and many dont.

Tacos Al Pastor fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Dec 22, 2021

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

I dont recall Kano training his students for punches, I do however recall Helio doing so for his.

I think they become removed when schools no longer teach it for whatever reason.

And sure while you and I may go in for fun, lets not fool ourselves that most people join to learn some sort of self defense aspect. People dont join to sit in the corner and knit. The schools where people are just socializing and "classes" become social hour, dont tend to keep people around or are not in business very long from what Ive seen.

People also don't join to learn gun disarms or defence against knife strategies either.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Drewjitsu posted:

People also don't join to learn gun disarms or defence against knife strategies either.

What schools are teaching this?

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
The second technique almost every judo player demonstrates to get their blackbelt is a punch-block/throw combination. Judo has its own striking component, called atemi-waza, but it's only practiced as kata and only by the foggiest of old farts.

sivad
Feb 28, 2005

ihop posted:

The second technique almost every judo player demonstrates to get their blackbelt is a punch-block/throw combination. Judo has its own striking component, called atemi-waza, but it's only practiced as kata and only by the foggiest of old farts.

Yeah, but you better believe if someone comes after my tento, he's going for a ride.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Have I mentioned my previous gym before?

Edit: lol judo has that stuff too.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Shouldn't a modern self defence art be mindful of the weapons that get used?

Personally, I have taken a few gun grappling/knife grappling courses outside of my gym, and they were a blast. It doesn't mean that I am a self defence wiz, or that I'd like to be doing that during my BJJ time.

It was like a fancy desert. Somewhat expensive, and not something I'd want to have for every meal.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

I dont recall Kano training his students for punches, I do however recall Helio doing so for his. Somewhere down the line in many schools, that aspect of jiu jitsu was forgotten about and more time was emphasized on grappling only.

Judo has at least three kata that I can think of offhand that include some strikes, strike defense, or weapon defense.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
I consider knife / gun disarming training to be somewhere between worthless and actively dangerous.

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
I got dropped hard on my back with a double-leg takedown tonight and even though I kept my head forward and didn't hit the mat with it, I still felt the impact real hard in my head and neck. Am I doing something wrong?

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans

Marching Powder posted:

I consider knife / gun disarming training to be somewhere between worthless and actively dangerous.

It might be, but it might be lots of fun as well.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Sep 12, 2022

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
I think something like having someone place a low voltage stun gun or an uncapped sharpie 5-10 feet away from me and whoever I'm sparring with, mid-roll, could be an interesting, practical and fun type of training.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

well, i gotta take a day off this week and then maybe another one to three days off in i think two weeks due to some scheduling conflicts and i'm anxious about it because of all the time away due to covid. i had just been talking to the coach about moving to four days instead of three. i'm like junkie looking for a fix...

tonight i didn't get to do the last roll because of the way the partners were laid out. i ended up with the newest student and he didn't want to roll at all because he didn't have any gas left in the tank. asked if he'd like to flow and he declined. however, i had one of the wrestlers after class help me with some takedowns so that was useful.

i'm trying to look at that like a good wind down for a break and keep some PMA. it's not long term, it's just a few days off, and i can fill the gaps with some kettlebells and maybe some videos.

Neeber
Nov 29, 2007
Throwing in my 2 cents here - a big challenge with the striking "defense" I've been taught in a bjj class is that most of your peers don't know the first thing about throwing a good punch (which is why we joined pajama hugging class in the first place). An mma class or dabbling in an actual striking discipline would get you far more bang for your buck from a self defense perspective.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

Neeber posted:

Throwing in my 2 cents here - a big challenge with the striking "defense" I've been taught in a bjj class is that most of your peers don't know the first thing about throwing a good punch (which is why we joined pajama hugging class in the first place). An mma class or dabbling in an actual striking discipline would get you far more bang for your buck from a self defense perspective.

i think this is pretty accurate. the bjj classes i attend are in an mma gym and when the fight team is training with gen pop, i'll often ask them to show me striking and defense if i can get them in a roll. it's often been a real eye opener for positions that should be obviously bad In The Streets (TM) and it's been a lot of fun to mix it up. bjj is sometimes easier when striking is allowed, for example being stuck in half guard and trying to take an underhook: if they won't move their hands, hit them where you want them to move their hands to. works enough times that it's in my mental toolbox.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

ihop posted:

It might be, but like Drewjitsu said, it might be lots of fun as well.

It's very fun. You've got the vast majority of the required parts for the job, you just need to reinterpret them a bit. For instance, controlling hands and access to the belt line/pockets is a big deal. Easy to accomplish with your existing knowledge (underhooks! High mount, etc) but not something you ordinarily think about when rolling.

Also, grappling in 'non traditional spaces' (like a car) is also super fun as an interesting challenge to apply your grappling skills.

Pyle
Feb 18, 2007

Tenno Heika Banzai
I started with MMA, boxing and BJJ, so I have no problems with striking, while standing or grappling. Now, I train mostly nogi BJJ and I just like to keep my grappling as pure grappling. If you want to add strikes to your BJJ, you should train some MMA on the side. It is good, it’s fun and really opens your eyes and makes you think about real life self-defense applications. Your stupidest BJJ moves don’t really work, when punches are allowed.

On the belt promotions: My gym promotes when needed. We usually have some bigger seminar or party and the new belts are given at that occasion. If you cannot attend, you get the belt in the next training session. I told my instructor that we should concentrate more on giving belts in the big belt ceremonies, as we just had at our gym’s Christmas party. That way is much more fun and communal. I’ve been invited to join the belt ceremony two times and I’ve been injured and out of training both times. I suppose I’m almost a purple belt by now? Only thing that is missing is the belt.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

I've had two coaches at two different gyms that will throw in some jiujitsu with strikes (and gloves) weeks. I love it. I never considered it self defense. I guess it is, but I just thought of it more like EBI/Pancrase kind of training.

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

Drewjitsu posted:

It's very fun. You've got the vast majority of the required parts for the job, you just need to reinterpret them a bit. For instance, controlling hands and access to the belt line/pockets is a big deal. Easy to accomplish with your existing knowledge (underhooks! High mount, etc) but not something you ordinarily think about when rolling.

Also, grappling in 'non traditional spaces' (like a car) is also super fun as an interesting challenge to apply your grappling skills.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8IVu8seNJY

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
That is so much more awful and hilarious looking than I expected. Looks like one of the rules of car fighting is somebody's head has to end up in the other person's rear end.

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.

Neeber posted:

To be fair, the average yahoo who's trying to start fights in public doesn't know how to throw a good punch either, and it doesn't take a professional boxer to drive home the lesson that hanging out in deep half will get your face caved in when strikes are on the table.

This rules.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Okay so I want to exclusively train car jiujitsu now.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

I told y'all!

Vashro
May 12, 2004

Proud owner of Lazy Lion #46
My friend was in the last car jitsu that the local weird event hosting gym had (Valhalla combat?) .
Other guy was able to take his seatbelt off faster and it was over from there.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

So the tacticlol takeaway here is drill removing seatbelt and exiting the car while screaming every day

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

ihop posted:

Have I mentioned my previous gym before?

Edit: lol judo has that stuff too.

I trained under an old school judo instructor for quite a while who never showed me this stuff :(

Drewjitsu posted:

Shouldn't a modern self defence art be mindful of the weapons that get used?

Personally, I have taken a few gun grappling/knife grappling courses outside of my gym, and they were a blast. It doesn't mean that I am a self defence wiz, or that I'd like to be doing that during my BJJ time.

It was like a fancy desert. Somewhat expensive, and not something I'd want to have for every meal.

This video where Tim Kennedy grapples with someone with a "knife", is pretty interesting to watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJ57yDFaEmg

Tacos Al Pastor fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Dec 22, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
My school has a combat sambo class once a week because it's a way to stay connected to sambo's roots in military combatives. It's fun and it's cool to learn how to integrate grappling and MMA stuff into scenarios where, say, the floor is made of concrete or people can bite you or there's a knife/gun. (Not saying we spar on concrete or with biting, they're just examples of things you might have to think about that you wouldn't under sport rules.) The important part is that you actually do live sparring with things like practice knives, that's what stops you from getting the wrong idea about your ability to disarm someone. Generally the takeaway from a knife sparring class is "wow, I really don't want to be anywhere near someone with a knife".

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Dec 22, 2021