Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Some of those critics are those that say they didn't like the first three movies, so, why are they watching this one?

...what exactly is it that you think critics do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
The reviews make it sound like a fairly average affair, which is the best thing I could hope for in these times where rebooting popular franchises gave us the sequel trilogy. As a big Matrix fan, I look forward to seeing it and possibly forgetting about it a week later.

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
I heard this is the “The Last Jedi” of Matrix films

poonchasta
Feb 22, 2007

FFFFAAAFFFFF FFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFFAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF
I loving love The Last Jedi. 13 more hours, my friends.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

feedmyleg posted:

There's nothing wrong with critics, just the way we talk about and utilize them. Having a critic you tend to agree with in your back pocket can be incredibly useful in figuring out what films might be for you and which ones probably aren't. But, yeah, please burn Rotten Tomatoes and "Film Twitter" to the ground.

But I love to take the opinions of 100 different people writing for wildly different publications and average them into a meaningless number to get mad about

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

poonchasta posted:

I loving love The Last Jedi. 13 more hours, my friends.

It’s the best of the sequel trilogy. I don’t care if the new matrix subverts expectations I just want it to be weird and interesting

ghouldaddy07
Jun 23, 2008
I hope this does well and WB let Keanu do another Constantine.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Ressurections has an insanely good unintentional joke out of real world promo partnership where amnesiac Neo the game designer gets the literal The Game Awards statue and tries to kill himself out of feeling meaningless

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
If you don't mind probable spoilers, wikipedia's plot section for the movie has some big "Half Life: Full Life Consequences" energy right now.

edit: aaand it's gone, but if you feel like digging through the history it was beautiful.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Dec 21, 2021

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Nail Rat posted:

If you don't mind probable spoilers, wikipedia's plot section for the movie has some big "Half Life: Full Life Consequences" energy right now.

Take a screencap and spoiler tag it, I'll come back and look at it tomorrow. :v:

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

MJeff posted:

Take a screencap and spoiler tag it, I'll come back and look at it tomorrow. :v:

Here's the history link

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=The_Matrix_Resurrections&diff=1061467783&oldid=1061467571

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

As a person who enjoys the most hated comic book films by critics and film twitter I say welcome. Also pay no mind to any of them, they get paid for what we do here for free.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Jimbot posted:

As a person who enjoys the most hated comic book films by critics and film twitter I say welcome. Also pay no mind to any of them, they get paid for what we do here for free.

Yeah Catwoman got a bad rap.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

MJeff posted:

Yeah Catwoman got a bad rap.

Okay lets not get carried away.

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

My opinion of Rottentomatoes is so low at this point that I actually feel more optimistic about the movie if it has a 70% score. It's sort of like Pitchfork - if something gets above 90% or below 40% you know it probably sucks.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

As someone who lives in BC Canada, I can't even buy tickets at my local theatre for Ressurections because of the new COVID mandates coming into effect.

Sounds like they'll end up reducing theatre seating by half but for now, I can't even see showings for any movies beyond today.

:negative:

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

Noob Saibot posted:

That's the comparison I keep thinking of as well. Both are movies that play with the conventions set by its predecessors, and can be disappointing if you were expecting something else.

Reading some reviews, even the negative ones, has me intrigued. I've got to see this crazy poo poo!

William Bear fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Dec 22, 2021

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
this was pointless rubbish

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I liked Last Jedi not for being ~subversive~ but for attempting to be something new and different instead of Force Awakens being a New Hope retread it’s like poetry it rhymes.

I have no real expectations going in so I’m open to whatever this new Matrix movie is going to try to do. Hope it’s good though!

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

feedmyleg posted:

There's nothing wrong with critics, just the way we talk about and utilize them. Having a critic you tend to agree with in your back pocket can be incredibly useful in figuring out what films might be for you and which ones probably aren't. But, yeah, please burn Rotten Tomatoes and "Film Twitter" to the ground.

Rotten Tomatoes is fine, though Film Twitter is consistently loving terrible with awful takes that seem to be centered around attention and retweets more than anything else.

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

Noob Saibot posted:

I already feel like The Last Jedi was the "Matrix Revolutions" of the Star Wars films. The sort of movie that has some good things in it here and there--enough for a certain type of person to pretend to themselves it was good. Overall though it was a very dissatisfying waste of assets in the franchise that can never be used again because of it, and ultimately gave unsatisfactory answers (or no answers) compared to the more interesting fan theories that preceded it.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Gresh posted:

Rotten Tomatoes is fine, though Film Twitter is consistently loving terrible with awful takes that seem to be centered around attention and retweets more than anything else.

gotta make that tweet money

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Bodyholes posted:

I already feel like The Last Jedi was the "Matrix Revolutions" of the Star Wars films. The sort of movie that has some good things in it here and there--enough for a certain type of person to pretend to themselves it was good. Overall though it was a very dissatisfying waste of assets in the franchise that can never be used again because of it, and ultimately gave unsatisfactory answers (or no answers) compared to the more interesting fan theories that preceded it.

I never heard one theory about Rey’s parents that wasn’t garbage. I also never heard one theory about who snoke was that wasn’t garbage either.

I genuinely like the last Jedi because of the filmmaking and character moments and also the theme of failure and how it plays in the film. It spoke to me and that ruled.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
im guessing its on hbo max at local midnight?

poonchasta
Feb 22, 2007

FFFFAAAFFFFF FFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFFAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF

Despera posted:

im guessing its on hbo max at local midnight?

2 am central

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
The Last Jedi is the only auteurist Star Wars movie

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

poonchasta posted:

2 am central

thx

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
*techno music begins playing*

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
neo vs chad

cant beat chad

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
yeah this is literally "The Force aMatrixns"

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

This is better than Last Jedi.

And the speech at the end pissed off critics because it’s true and they’re the sheep.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Mnemosyne

Mnemonic

:aaaaa:

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

The movie dragged for SO LONG, also it felt like it had a way smaller budget everything felt too clean and sterile as opposed to being shot on film. Also the fight scenes were incredibly disappointing in their composition shots editing and choreography.

Christ they had such a low bar to clear I didn't think it was possible to still smack your forehead on it.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
god i hate when the best action scenes are in the trailer

id take the second matrix over this snore fest

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

So is The One really The Two?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

For being a roughly 18-year follow up to a landmark trilogy, I'm happy that Resurrections didn't just shallowly weaponize nostalgia. Movie does some weird poo poo, and the expanded world building is ehh, it's kinda whatever, but the film has a lot of unique style and the story is charming enough. Definitely was a lot more quirky than I was expecting. If I had to gripe, the action design — while still pretty good, especially the opener with Bugs being a total badass; my life needs more actioners with Jessica Henwick please :allears: — was knocked down several notches compared to the previous movies. There's some good action bits, but nothing as strong compared to what we see in the first 3 films. And also I guess Bugs' crew felt like throwaways, lol. AI Morpheous sorta becomes a non-entity in the third act too. Overall, it's an interesting sequel with some pretty explicit messaging/commentary that I know is aimed at certain folk, and I love that poo poo. Lana owns. It's good, but not as good as the OG, Reloaded, or Revolutions.

Despera posted:

yeah this is literally "The Force aMatrixns"

I don't agree with this. This poo poo is less "soft reboot" and more like whatever sort of meta-sequel Scream 4 was, but cleverer and weirder imo.

[edit]

Gonz posted:

*techno music begins playing*

I really liked a lot of the techno tracks used during all the big set pieces lol.

teagone fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Dec 22, 2021

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

I enjoyed it! I’d probably give it a solid B.

I’m one of the people who liked the fact that it was more story driven than a full-on CGI fest. It did drag a little at parts, and the fight choreography wasn’t what it was in the trilogy, but there were some interesting ideas and plot devices put forward that I wasn’t expecting.

Stuff I would’ve liked to have seen more of in this movie/potential future movies:

Io and the re-terraforming of the atmosphere
The corporeal magnetic pinball programs
Repurposed Smith’s new grand M.O.
Jessica Henwick being a total badass
Proto Morpheus coming into his own as a program of Morpheus realizing who he actually is
How people can leap in and out of the Matrix without defined I/O exits
The Machine Civil War and it’s origins
Trinity and Neo’s new “Force Dyad” dynamic and Trinity’s apparent new Root Access/Admin powers
The OG machine hierarchy/“The Suits” and their motives

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Regarding Morpheus

One if the writers said they planned for him to fight a machine in machine city but it was to expensive. Likely the reason for his drop off in the third act.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

My opinion of The Last Jedi is mixed. There's things I'm very fond of in the film but what I recall the most is that gambling planet and the whole section of the film that took place there which was unenjoyable for me and also felt like it dragged on forever. Take that for what it's worth but I consider it odd that so many people have been comparing this to TLJ since while I regard the former disappointing in what it could have been, I'm having trouble finding fault with Matrix Resurrections and at best can only nitpick minor things.

I had read the leaks prior to watching the film and I was still surprised by how things played out, primarily in regards to sorta-Smith/Morpheus and the overall plot and just how exactly it toyed with being meta - I knew about the game but was surprised by the Warner Bros. thing and the brainstorming a sequel segment. There's plenty for people to dive into but on the most basic surface level I thought it was a really enjoyable movie and I cannot think of a better way to revisit the world of the Matrix than what we've been given.

I think that anyone who likes the Matrix will enjoy this, and from my own personal circumstances it also felt very refreshing compared to many films that have been released this year (I haven't seen The French Dispatch yet). Hearing about the poor reviews is a shame and I hope this film is a success because it deserves to be, and it's frustrating that the new Omicron variant will probably combine with said reviews and make people pass on the movie.

I think the film wraps things up neatly as-is but still leaves things open for possible sequels so I'm putting this in spoilers just in case, but I really hope that this is the beginning of a new trilogy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

:yeshaha:

hiddenriverninja posted:

So is The One really The Two?

If you think about it, it always has been, it's just even more explicit.

Look at what the Oracle says in the first Matrix to Neo.

Overall, I liked this movie. I like the frame rate stuff with the analyst, it was different and cool.

I definitely wouldn't mind a series, or animatrix, that goes into the between timeframe from Revolutions to Resurrections