Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Vim Fuego posted:

Spider COVID Man

Titer Parker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

Stoop Kid
Jan 17, 2007

Afraid to leave his stoop.

mystes posted:

Update, my mother has covid and I probably have it from her but no way to find out for sure. Christmas is cancelled :woot:.

My mother and father have been wearing n95/kn95 masks everywhere and not going anywhere except for the supermarket/trader joes (although that's probably like 10 times combined a week because they're dumb) so it's kind of surprising that they could have managed to get it.

Hopefully my father got it first and is asymptomatic because otherwise he's hosed.

they were probably lying to you - boomers have an uncontrollable need to eat inside of restaurants

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

hands off my burger antifa

u arent poisoning me with ur mask nanites

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Umm Sydney cases just went up by 2,000 in one day... Like last week they had under 1,000 daily cases. Now 5,715.

I'm sure it's fine/mild

Goobish
May 31, 2011

I'm a Doomer tho and covid is a fuckboi, getting pumped for a jolly Winter of Death.

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

So is this poo poo mild or

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

:crnasickos:

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

Steve Yun posted:

20 pages behind but guess who has two thumbs and has to take their roommate to the ER for food poisoning

Hey I thought it was only people in King County WA all getting food poisoning and afaik you're not from here

:thunk:

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Two very important questions for a fast moving thread:

1) Is it correct that Biden's recent speech and other White House statements have ignored that pediatric vaccines are effectively delayed until next summer? It seems fair to summarize his recent statements as "get vaccinated or pay the price", but neither he nor his admin seem to have acknowledged anywhere that vaccination is not currently possible for under five year olds. Or even just that the delay happened at all! Is this a fair assessment?

2) Has anyone had experience with the COVID loss of taste and smell and how it impacts alcoholic beverages? Wondering how beer vs whiskey registers in that condition, was thinking whiskey might be more robust given the strong taste+sensation but maybe it also can end up tasting disgusting or effectively water. Trying to plan appropriate contingencies given that apparently we're all getting imminently infected and even for recently boosted people COVID symptoms/long COVID are a real risk

Essentially could this be me within 2-10 weeks?

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Grey Fox posted:

can't say I'm thrilled with my social media feed alternating between "new daily COVID record" and "on my way to Spiderman!!"

spider-man has now killed more new yorkers than the green goblin

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica

KaptainKrunk posted:

don't have to be mild if it's over

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

KaptainKrunk posted:

the talking heads are pivoting to "there's a large increase in hospitalizations, but they might all be Delta, we just don't know!"

https://twitter.com/ScottGottliebMD/status/1473615942932389891

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

anime was right posted:

tom holland has now killed more new yorkers than the green goblin

Goobish
May 31, 2011

We figured out like 20 pages ago that Biden kills kids

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
So I realize that surgical tape is cheaper than buying K/N95s. I'm already elastomeric elite, but I do have to sometimes wear other masks since I'm going to the doctor or need to be able to speak clearly even with the speech diaphragm it's hard. So what I'm wondering is, then, yeah, if the failure point is the seal and not the filter medium, is there any reason I can't just surgical tape a 3M Aura or Powecom to my face? Seems a good way to get more mileage out of your N95s.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
So it appears that the South Africa excess death reports have been updated and I don't believe it's been posted here yet.

If I'm reading the graph right, for the week of December 5th through 11th, there were 1501 excess deaths over the expected amount, of which 151 were attributed to covid.

For the week of December 12th through 18th, there were 2602 excess deaths, of which 229 were attributed to covid.

Gauteng's excess deaths were 616 (104 attributed to covid) for the 12th-18th versus 235 (65 attributed to covid) for the week before.

So it sounds like a whole lot very mild number of people are dying, probably of covid, but who haven't been tested for covid.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
probably won't get my test results back in time for xmas but on the plus side, number loved the pill announcement so the retirement fund that i'll die before getting to use did well :)

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Nocturtle posted:

2) Has anyone had experience with the COVID loss of taste and smell and how it impacts alcoholic beverages? Wondering how beer vs whiskey registers in that condition, was thinking whiskey might be more robust given the strong taste+sensation but maybe it also can end up tasting disgusting or effectively water. Trying to plan appropriate contingencies given that apparently we're all getting imminently infected and even for recently boosted people COVID symptoms/long COVID are a real risk

I haven't (yet... at least) lost my sense of taste but so far losing sense of smell hasn't really hosed with enjoying a beer or wine for me. I haven't had any whiskey since then but I prefer strong hoppy beers in general and they taste the same even if I can't smell them now.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Today's Aussie numbers got my wife to join respirator crew. Thanks, NSW premiers, you absolute fuckwits.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

It's chill that severe mental illness is now a baseline requirement to be a "commentator" on the right

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

HiroProtagonist posted:

adulterating someone's drink or food without their knowledge is truly one of the evilest ways to commit assault against someone else, it demonstrates what feels to me just the most callous disregard for others beyond just having a willingness to commit assault against someone else on a basic level

coworker's mother in law is a lead Monsanto geneticist with a degenerative disease and had been trying to convince her to test their kids for hereditary risks.

when the mother in law last visited for the holidays, one night she snuck into the kids' rooms, clipped a lock of hair from each, and sent the samples in for testing herself

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

and yes, you're an idiot gene

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
i wonder if all the milders are going to realize how damaging their toxic hopium has been or if they are going to double down and continue to pretend that the most damaging aspect to the pandemic has been the response.

sure my house burned down, but i'm mostly mad at the firefighters for causing so much water damage

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

:rubby:

Link here, again

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

i mean, sure

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Kylaer posted:

So it appears that the South Africa excess death reports have been updated and I don't believe it's been posted here yet.

If I'm reading the graph right, for the week of December 5th through 11th, there were 1501 excess deaths over the expected amount, of which 151 were attributed to covid.

For the week of December 12th through 18th, there were 2602 excess deaths, of which 229 were attributed to covid.

Gauteng's excess deaths were 616 (104 attributed to covid) for the 12th-18th versus 235 (65 attributed to covid) for the week before.

So it sounds like a whole lot very mild number of people are dying, probably of covid, but who haven't been tested for covid.

We already know COVID is a very bad thing and out of control, but how do those numbers compare against prior Delta waves and what we would have expected to see if it was just Delta? Like are these numbers suggesting that - at least in terms of death - Omicron is milder?

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

McNugget Buddy posted:

the talking heads are pivoting to "there's a large increase in hospitalizations, but they might all be Delta, we just don't know!"

https://twitter.com/ScottGottliebMD/status/1473615942932389891

I trust AEI for all my health news
https://twitter.com/AEI/status/1473741392316977154?s=20
https://twitter.com/AEI/status/1473715196573143049?s=20

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

peepeepants posted:

just finished canceling family holiday travel plans, figure i'd update this for lols:

https://i.imgur.com/QvXssb1.mp4

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
there are going to be so many sick and dead people this winter

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

We already know COVID is a very bad thing and out of control, but how do those numbers compare against prior Delta waves and what we would have expected to see if it was just Delta? Like are these numbers suggesting that - at least in terms of death - Omicron is milder?

The week of July 11th was their delta peak (which wasn't their worst peak, beta(?) hit them harder back the week of Jan 10th and caused 16,115 excess deaths) with 10,325 excess deaths, of which 2538 were attributed to covid.

The curve is just starting to inflect up, so it's way too early to tell anything about whether this is milder.

They won't report again for two weeks, they're skipping next week's report because of the holidays :rubby:

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Kylaer posted:

didn't cutting off South Africa from air travel create a huge incentive for South Africa to fudge the numbers

Goobish
May 31, 2011

I'm that person who thinks the stock market reflects the wellbeing of my society, haha losers!

mystes
May 31, 2006

Stoop Kid posted:

they were probably lying to you - boomers have an uncontrollable need to eat inside of restaurants
They're pretty afraid of covid so unfortunately I doubt it. I think they must have either gotten it because of bad mask fit or just from brief contact with someone while walking outside unmasked (but my mother has been pretty keen on stuff like the 6 foot rule) but if it's that easy to get it from either of those things that's pretty bad.

I think once it's extremely prevent with the transmission being super high you basically have to be respirator crew or you'll get it.

mystes fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Dec 22, 2021

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Atrocious Joe posted:

didn't cutting off South Africa from air travel create a huge incentive for South Africa to fudge the numbers

why yes, it did. i don't see how that is relevant though

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
Worldometer has South Africa reporting 21,098 new cases today by the way. I don't know what's going on with their numbers but their curve is jagged as all hell and I think it's way too soon to claim that they've peaked.

Stoop Kid
Jan 17, 2007

Afraid to leave his stoop.

mystes posted:

They're pretty afraid of covid so unfortunately I doubt it. I think they must have either gotten it because of bad mask fit or just from brief contact with someone while walking outside unmasked (but my mother has been pretty keen on stuff like the 6 foot rule) but if it's that easy to get it from either of those things that's pretty bad.

I think once it's extremely prevent with the transmission being super high you basically have to be respirator crew or you'll get it.
yeah you may be right and I am projecting - wishing you and your family luck

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

extremely difficult to compare right now for two reasons:

when delta started to take off, the prior wave was still in decline. with omicron there was almost nothing when it kicked off

deaths will continue to be backfilled, even excess deaths. they already have been for Delta

Goobish
May 31, 2011

Stereotype posted:

there are going to be so many sick and dead people this winter

Yeah you can pretty much expect me to come in here making no sense, so I apologize ahead of time. It's going to be loving rough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

mystes posted:

I've been a little concerned about this because the only places I've been inside in the last two weeks are inside whole foods or cvs with an N95, in an attempt to be okay before i see my grandparents (still also getting PCR day-before and antigen day-of), but yeah, lol, if it is truly that contagious, we're well and truly doomed if you're not on full-face crew