Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.
I drove past the movie theater today and it was packed. Definitely worth getting a debilitating illness and giving it to someone else to see that crazy cgi man of spider jumping between buildings!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

McNugget Buddy posted:

the talking heads are pivoting to "there's a large increase in hospitalizations, but they might all be Delta, we just don't know!"

https://twitter.com/ScottGottliebMD/status/1473615942932389891

oh word there was another wave we did nothing about ?

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Stereotype posted:

there are going to be so many sick and dead people this winter

Don't expect it to stop in summer either. Exponential growth here and

45c = 113f

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

I'm sure it's nothing.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
well i'm glad i live in hawaii where we have a 75% vaccination rate and near universal masking, despite throwing our doors open to tourists and rescinding all gathering restrictions

haha whoops

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

euphronius posted:

oh word there was another wave we did nothing about ?

there *still is* another wave! :eng101: lol

Teenage Riot
May 25, 2010

a few DRUNK BONERS posted:

do you remember when that ship went down and killed like 30 people and then they wrote an entire song about it like it was some big deal

Made a good beer in its honor as well

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Kylaer posted:

So it appears that the South Africa excess death reports have been updated and I don't believe it's been posted here yet.

If I'm reading the graph right, for the week of December 5th through 11th, there were 1501 excess deaths over the expected amount, of which 151 were attributed to covid.

For the week of December 12th through 18th, there were 2602 excess deaths, of which 229 were attributed to covid.

Gauteng's excess deaths were 616 (104 attributed to covid) for the 12th-18th versus 235 (65 attributed to covid) for the week before.

So it sounds like a whole lot very mild number of people are dying, probably of covid, but who haven't been tested for covid.

i just assumed they were hiding the deaths. give the rich an extra few weeks to sell their Tesla stocks and get their bunkers ready before the rubes find out

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Nocturtle posted:

2) Has anyone had experience with the COVID loss of taste and smell and how it impacts alcoholic beverages? Wondering how beer vs whiskey registers in that condition, was thinking whiskey might be more robust given the strong taste+sensation but maybe it also can end up tasting disgusting or effectively water. Trying to plan appropriate contingencies given that apparently we're all getting imminently infected and even for recently boosted people COVID symptoms/long COVID are a real risk

HiroProtagonist posted:

I haven't (yet... at least) lost my sense of taste but so far losing sense of smell hasn't really hosed with enjoying a beer or wine for me. I haven't had any whiskey since then but I prefer strong hoppy beers in general and they taste the same even if I can't smell them now.

Yeah I lost my sense of smell for like a month, and it took another month to fully return to normal, but my sense of taste never went away. I abstained for two weeks then went back to my usual strong, hoppy drinks and never really noticed a change.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Stereotype posted:

i wonder if all the milders are going to realize how damaging their toxic hopium has been or if they are going to double down and continue to pretend that the most damaging aspect to the pandemic has been the response.

sure my house burned down, but i'm mostly mad at the firefighters for causing so much water damage

They will never, ever acknowledge that it isn't mild until they get it (and frequently not even then).

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

lmao +1000% change SEEMS FINE

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Omicron is part of the New World Order, Vatican, and China agenda pushed by Ramaphosa. Everyone dead has been killed by the vaccine.
https://twitter.com/SizweLo/status/1471883225702223879?s=20

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

AppleNippleBOB posted:

I'm not trying to pick/be mean, but does this imply that you at any time are not wearing PPE in the hospital? Or are you referring to the additional layers you might don (gown, face shield, gloves, etc).

Regardless, that sounds like hell.

Yeah putting on the gown and everything. Also the whole bit where immediately after the covid guy we through a new cancer patient right in the same tube/air without a mask. But it's more important to go real fast to get these super important scans done than basic patient safety.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
Gauteng reported 3810 cases today (if I'm reading their site right, I can't find a clean table of the data), 3330 yesterday, 1890 on Monday, versus 5855 last Friday. Extremely jagged numbers.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Rutibex posted:

i just assumed they were hiding the deaths. give the rich an extra few weeks to sell their Tesla stocks and get their bunkers ready before the rubes find out

If it's anything like India we won't have any real idea until next year.

There were around 5 million excess deaths attributable to COVID in India despite an official count of only ~400,000

Goobish
May 31, 2011

Yeah our local hospital has been full of Delta since Halloween and full capacity for weeks now. Hmm wonder how that will reflect on local omicron hospitalizations if they decide to be goofy with it.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Vox Nihili posted:

If it's anything like India we won't have any real idea until next year.

There were around 5 million excess deaths attributable to COVID in India despite an official count of only ~400,000

wow only 400k deaths? seems like delta was the real mild variant

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

Testvan posted:

cdc updated their forecast

lmao

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
how total is the loss of smell anyway? to keep an eye out for it as a symptom

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Vox Nihili posted:

It's chill that severe mental illness is now a baseline requirement to be a "commentator" on the right

It's a pretty good anime villain plan. maybe this is the US government's way of combating global warming :ohdear:

1- engineer and release covid
2- refuse to contain virus and make a special vaccine mandatory
3-keep releasing better covid until everyone is full of vaccines
4- once everyone you dont like is full of vaccine release the virus that interacts with the vaccine so everyone on earth dies except the few insiders who knew to take the insider vaccine
:tinfoil:

of course this plan would simply make China the only remaining country so it's not the illuminati best work

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lastgirl posted:

this many people witnessed biden condemning people to die, so liberals can't gaslight me, i have several people here who saw biden essentially abandon american people domestically to a virus that will have more than 400,000 cases daily meaning that everyone will be infected

so can the libs finally acknowledge that biden is a criminal and murderer and should be locked up for choosing number over people? :o:

well, yeah, but the libs are just gonna gaslight everyone regardless. facts don’t matter. if they had object permanence or any understanding of history they wouldn’t be libs.

it’s gonna be more of the same lib poo poo. kill another million Americans through negligence and inaction, blame the doomers, demand a mountain of chinese skulls, then off to brunch.

i think it’s even odds whether the US eventually spite-nukes china as ‘revenge’ for covid

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

I assume he was sitting there chomping popcorn and poo poo and treating it like indoor dining? If I get COVID and I can only trace it back to an activity done masked the whole time I would mention that I think.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
December 6, 2020

Another positive at work. This time on the AM crew.

December 7, 2020

A guy at work is sipping tea with great trepidation, looking like he's trying to figure out if he's lost his senses of taste and smell, lol

A headline from today: “Trump Administration Is Fast-Tracking Executions And Trying To Bring Back Firing Squads Before Biden's Inauguration”

I'm not sure if I mentioned it, but a few months ago a state employee in Florida got fired for publicly reporting accurate infection and death numbers. She still had access to the information, so she kept making it public even though it wasn't her job anymore. Today, state police came to her house, claiming to have a warrant, and took all her computers and phones. Pointed guns at her kids. They said it was about a security breach but it's probably just Florida's fascist governor.

--

Okay I'm pretty drunk but I'm fairly certain that an hour ago my boss called me on the phone and informed me that our kitchen is being shut down due to an outbreak. He said (I think) that someone will contact me tomorrow and let me know what the gently caress is going on. It was especially weird because this was my _________ boss with the heavy accent but he made sure anyone could understand him perfectly.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I wonder if a November delta can be a December omricron

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Raskolnikov38 posted:

people were posting videos online of them eating garlic paste and horseradish and not tasting anything

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

I touched the poop in my friends group by saying the vaccine won't protect you from Omicron and I got a Chise-linked report about how mild it is in South Africa as a reply

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Stereotype posted:

well i'm glad i live in hawaii where we have a 75% vaccination rate and near universal masking, despite throwing our doors open to tourists and rescinding all gathering restrictions

haha whoops

nah the dy/dx is sliiiiightly lower at the very end of that graph. it’s not vertical, we’re past the peak, covid is over. anyway it’s too late to change things now, nobody could have foreseen this

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Dolphin posted:

people were posting videos online of them eating garlic paste and horseradish and not tasting anything

lol okay that’s pretty total

Goobish
May 31, 2011

Hey now severe mental illness has helped get me through this and help some others along the way, what's wrong with that. Sounds a bit ablist tbh

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

lmao

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

mistermojo posted:

remember when Trump had Google and Apple implement covid tracing that they just sort of pretended to work on until everyone moved on

the tech itself works if your state bothers to use it and people bother to turn it on. I've gotten two pings from the NY contact tracer

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

Stereotype posted:

haha whoops

We know an absolute ghoul who abandoned her elderly dog to "live her truth" traveling and Instagramming around Hawaii. She already got COVID once there (lol), and she just posted she has the flu (because the one test she took was negative) and getting ill is a reminder to "live your life and take all the risks" (lmao). The state should weld her inside her home.

Goobish
May 31, 2011

Fly Molo posted:

i think it’s even odds whether the US eventually spite-nukes china as ‘revenge’ for covid

Uh oh we gotta another witch! He'll yeah Winter of Death my friend.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Stoop Kid posted:

they were probably lying to you - boomers have an uncontrollable need to eat inside of restaurants

yeah my stepdad told me he wears masks everywhere and then after a visit my mom tells me he went to a work part at a restaurant and he got mad at her because she didn't want to go

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

Raskolnikov38 posted:

All over the place. I read some study that there were large gaps between self reported symptoms (underreported) vs people that were given Sniffin Sticks tests for hyposmia.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

this pandemic movie is boring, stupid and annoying. nobody would be this insane. 3/10, can't even finish
Felt I was loving "done enough" with it last week after I was able to get a second jab into my 6 year old.

The advent of Delta, him starting kindergarten, and the cooler temperature has been slowly ramping up my anxiety since the beginning of summer.

It was November that really upset me, most notable Vermonts handling of 5-10 vaccinations. Which is to say loving nothing! February through April was all about having clinics in every town multiple times a week to handle those over 65.

For the kids? Nearly nothing. Scattershot school clinics with ridiculous long term scheduling from the early November availability. My sons schools first clinic was...last week, the middle of December!

It was all up to me to find where to take him (first shot availability 3 weeks after availability), schedule it, take him out of school early and time out of work to get his vaccinations.

If the state cared about kids as much as Boomers, it's hard to imagine that they couldn't have made a concerted effort to have school clinics in November and have most kids over 5 fully vaccinated going into Christmas.

Thanks for nothing, Vermont!

With his final shot last week, I felt like I could take a breather. I no longer feel SO anxious about him being unvaccinated although it doesn't change my behavior in the slightest (masked in public, no eating out, etc).

So I had like half a week before Omicron's earnest rise in the US pulled me back into this lovely show.

At least this thread isnt the dumpster fire like the one in d&d.

fatelvis
Mar 21, 2010

Why Am I So Tired posted:

We know an absolute ghoul who abandoned her elderly dog to "live her truth" traveling and Instagramming around Hawaii. She already got COVID once there (lol), and she just posted she has the flu (because the one test she took was negative) and getting ill is a reminder to "live your life and take all the risks" (lmao). The state should weld her inside her home.

What happened to her dog?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Petey posted:

I've been a little concerned about this because the only places I've been inside in the last two weeks are inside whole foods or cvs with an N95, in an attempt to be okay before i see my grandparents (still also getting PCR day-before and antigen day-of), but yeah, lol, if it is truly that contagious, we're well and truly doomed if you're not on full-face crew

that's about where i get off. if you can catch it from incidental outdoor contact or wearing a N95 in the grocery store, might as well just wrap it all up now.