Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pissinthewind
Nov 11, 2021

if they just CGId john wick into the movie why didnt they just cgi elrond in too?

if you don't expect an action movie then you'll like this a great deal more. the entire beginning did a modern take on the whole gently caress 'normal' extremely well, but all the action felt sterile as gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Honest Thief posted:

i dont think the m4trix follows the online lore, you can guess what happened from what they showed

yea we don't need to know exactly what happened to Morpheus (which is the only thing people talk about in relation to the MMO anyhow) since all we're shown is that he was a beloved leader and that he's no longer alive. They mention it has been what, 60 years since Revolutions? If it wasn't for the MMO stuff I would have just figured that he died of old age or something

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

This movie is the epitome of "tell, don't show." It felt like they wanted to tell a larger story than the script they could come up with, so what we're left with are a bunch of characters speaking to the audience directly to try to convince them to come along this winding, meaningless and nonsensical journey. The trailers that made it seem like it was a story about Keanu's character going through a nervous breakdown where the whole thing was in his head...would have been such a better film.

And the conceit that this all happened in a video game instead of a film makes every time it's brought up so cringey.

the entire matrix franchise is incredibly unsubtle about every single one of its themes and plot points and it owns for that actually

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Necrothatcher posted:

It's kind of hosed up that Lana went out of her way to actively mock the trans reading of the first movie.

I haven’t thought enough on it to say whether I agree with this but I feel like the through-line of the movie is much more anti-gender binary than the original. One of the ways that The Analyst was able to keep Trinity from breaking free was placing her into a very traditional female role of mother and wife despite her clear ambivalence about it, and the movie has a few different moments where it tells you that the binary choices or options we’ve been given are false choices, which can be applied to our “man or woman that’s it” status quo. This was one of the things that stuck out most to me watching it last night.

Edit:

Ghosthotel posted:

the entire matrix franchise is incredibly unsubtle about every single one of its themes and plot points and it owns for that actually

Seconded if we’re to continue getting blockbusters and franchise re-excavations then at least let them have like 8 people monologuing about themes that aren’t just family/friendship or sacrifice

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Dec 23, 2021

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Cacator posted:

On the whole this felt so more influenced by Sense8 in style than the original trilogy. Which I don't mind because much like Resurrections, Sense8 is a sloppy mess that also rules hard.

When they are fighting in the underground bathroom sewer (what WAS that room???) it feels like they kept showing the sense 8 logo. Although I think it was the same "an 8 is an infinity symbol and you can draw one by making two Os in a mirror" instead of a referance to the show)

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

When they are fighting in the underground bathroom sewer (what WAS that room???) it feels like they kept showing the sense 8 logo. Although I think it was the same "an 8 is an infinity symbol and you can draw one by making two Os in a mirror" instead of a referance to the show)

i think it was just an old building's underground bathroom, that was deliberately painted and designed to look like the subway in the first movie

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Kaveman posted:

There's no way this was intentional but that Jude guy is totally Jeff Gerstmann

Lmfao

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Kaveman posted:

There's no way this was intentional but that Jude guy is totally Jeff Gerstmann

I KNEW HE LOOKED FAMILIAR!

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Ghosthotel posted:

It's funny, in 1999 the general opinion of matrix was that it was a relatively subtle movie with a lot of it's symbolism sort of hidden.

Like by now 22 years later every single obscure name and detail is super cultural osmosis into being common knowledge. And the way you watch any movie now is watching it, clicking a link and seeing a breakdown instantly of every single major missable detail. But at the time it came out I remember THE thing about matrix being how much every scene was packed with 50 things everyone had to run home and look up.

Like I remember "NEO is an anagram for ONE" being like a minor sensation when the internet realized it. And something like the last name being Son of Man in greek being like "oh my god, this is the deepest symbolism any big budget movie has ever had in the history of the world!"

Like so much has changed 1999 to 2021.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

Shiroc posted:

Because the movie is explicit that Neo can't do everything he used to anymore but he's putting his belief into Trinity the way she had for him?

Agreed. I am not sure how some people dont get this and get caught up in GIRL POWER memes. Neo literally says it multiple times .

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
The wikipedia page for the movie says that Wackowski directed all the action scenes this time, as opposed to the previous ones where they had a second unit do the action stuff. Maybe that's why the action is so mediocre?

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Basebf555 posted:

The wikipedia page for the movie says that Wackowski directed all the action scenes this time, as opposed to the previous ones where they had a second unit do the action stuff. Maybe that's why the action is so mediocre?

I mean recent Wachowski stuff like Jupiter Ascending was also rear end so yeah maybe

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Like not that there had never been any movie with any symbolism before the matrix.

But in 1999 the idea the pow pow gun shooty movie would like, referance gnosticism. Was out there enough no one even was thinking to view it through the lens at first. Like it feels like it took years for it to sink in with the public that they movie HAD some level of symbolism. (which looking back is all pretty surface level).

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

teagone posted:

This is probably what Lana wants you think, while hoping that maybe you'll also understand the "why" behind it all. Or maybe not. We'll never know.

Lana definitely chose some of the same big action location for a reason. The intro building, the subway, and then later a motorcycle chase similar to reloaded. Keanu is playing a very tired Neo who really only gets serious in these fights when people say he cant see Trinity. The meta reason of course is that movies that try to repeat their past high points just never work as well, like death star and death planet from awakens. That being said I dont even think the intro rooftops or subway battle are lovely. They are just not as good as the old ones.

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

I feel like there is a bit of revisionist history going on here, I remember people talking about the themes in the matrix pretty much right after release lol. I think you're giving folks too little credit here.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

The unspoken issue with the fight scenes in Resurrections is that Yuen Woo Ping isn't involved anymore.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

LesterGroans posted:

One moment that hit me really hard early on was "Tiff's" story about asking her husband if Trinity looks like her and being laughed at. Carrie-Anne Moss is very good.

She is literally seen as a blonde chick by everyone else, as you can see in various reflective surfaces. To her husband, she could not be more different from Trinity

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

pospysyl posted:

The unspoken issue with the fight scenes in Resurrections is that Yuen Woo Ping isn't involved anymore.

Well yea that's the obvious thing but it's not like there aren't talented choreographers out there who can do stuff that's at least in the same ballpark. This was like, not even an attempt at the same style, it was mostly Bourne-style shakey cam.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

ymgve posted:

She is literally seen as a blonde chick by everyone else, as you can see in various reflective surfaces. To her husband, she could not be more different from Trinity

But she's still being laughed at. Her husband could have asked why, or even said "huh, I don't really see it" but instead he went for the most dismissive belittling thing he could do.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

ymgve posted:

Yeah, I know. That was the powerful part to me. The he can't see who she really is.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Ghosthotel posted:

I feel like there is a bit of revisionist history going on here, I remember people talking about the themes in the matrix pretty much right after release lol. I think you're giving folks too little credit here.

I bought the Philosophy of the Matrix collection from a Borders in 2000, which is about the single most 2000s thing you can do.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
I really loving liked the movie. I can easily see why some people came out feeling underwhelmed or just plain didn't like it, but man, that was right up my alley. My only real complaint is that the fight scenes felt a little weird and wonky at times, as other people have mentioned. The IMAX experience was very good, and despite it showing as almost completely sold out when I bought the tickets online, I had three empty seats on either side of me. Truly luxurious. Though I've got to say, there were a handful of scenes during the big action bits that looked a little smeary where I wondered if it may have looked better on a smaller screen from the same viewing distance. The sound system was worth seeing it in IMAX for sure though.

The thing with Trinity flying with Neo, to me, isn't just that it represents Neo's belief in her the same way she believed in him, but it also represents Trinity freeing her mind from the Matrix....again. I thought the scene with drunk Neo talking to himself about jumping off the building before Bugs grabs him set that up pretty nicely.

My favorite lines were "What if I can't be what I once was?" - "We're all hosed.", which got a pretty big laugh in the theater, and then "I wish you would loving stop calling me that. I hate that name." really got me good.

There are so many things I liked about the movie that it's hard to figure out what I want to post about. If you're on the fence about seeing it (which I doubt many people are if you're lurking the Matrix thread to begin with), just do it :cheersdoge:

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Love it from a meme-perspective that he's a Chad, but also from the meta level that it's The Chad. (also wish he directed the action, but... ah well)

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

LesterGroans posted:

Yeah, I know. That was the powerful part to me. The he can't see who she really is.

But he only sees what the Matrix allows him to, it's not his fault. It's not like he's so egocentric and dismissive he can't see the resemblance, it's that there is no resemblance because the Matrix doesn't allow there to be. While it could be seen as a reference to men belittling women in their relationships, the fact that an outside force is at work, makes them all victims.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I know someone mentioned it but it was a big miss for new Morpheus to be just his nano ball projection for the later half of the film. What if, hear me out, his nano projection also wore sick looking outfits in the real world? I’m not talking about projecting cool looking suits. Have the mass of nano magnetic balls wear an actual suit

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yea I do like that this movie reinforces the idea that there's nothing innately special about The One except for their own internal belief that they can do these amazing things. Or, in the case of Neo and Trinity, another person who believes in you so strongly that the belief itself makes someone capable of being The One(or The Two).

I really did like a lot of the story stuff it was just hard for me to not focus on my disappointment with the action scenes.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Regarding Tiffany/Neo appearances:
Yeah I like Tiffany's story about looking like Trinity. It also let some of the Trinity personality come through.
Between her story and neo's different appearance, I suppose this could be more trans analogy. You again look different to everyone else than how you see yourself, and when you do try to explain this you may just get laughed at. But I will let others in this thread comment on this.

From a more meta perspective, it could be that others see the matrix films for one thing, and when you Lana and others try to say they are something else, people reject this.

It feels like these scenes and others gave Keanu and Moss a lot more to work with for acting this time around.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Looking through the IMDB and this stood out:

Clayton Watson - Kid

Where was he?

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

ymgve posted:

But he only sees what the Matrix allows him to, it's not his fault. It's not like he's so egocentric and dismissive he can't see the resemblance, it's that there is no resemblance because the Matrix doesn't allow there to be. While it could be seen as a reference to men belittling women in their relationships, the fact that an outside force is at work, makes them all victims.

I don't care about him at all (also, I'm pretty sure he's a bot, right? So he's not a victim at all). The powerful part is her knowing she's something other than what she seems and discussing that with someone who gets it.

I didn't think it was powerful because of the logistics (I get why she doesn't look like that), I think it was powerful because of the performance and what it meant for the character.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I know someone mentioned it but it was a big miss for new Morpheus to be just his nano ball projection for the later half of the film. What if, hear me out, his nano projection also wore sick looking outfits in the real world? I’m not talking about projecting cool looking suits. Have the mass of nano magnetic balls wear an actual suit

Agreed. He was killing it with that wardrobe. Hopefully in universe someone saw his style and was inspired to upgrade those magnetic balls for color.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I think if I actually liked any of the action scenes beyond the final one (which I loved) or even felt any interest in either of the two main bad guys, I would have loved Matrix Resurrections

The meta stuff was extremely my poo poo and I otherwise would have loved a 2.5 hour sequel about how churning out sequels sucks, and how Hollywood needs to be way more comfortable with people trying and failing at actual ideas without punishing them for failures by making sequels the only thing they’ll let directors who fail once or twice do in wide release anymore

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

Inside Lana Wachowski there are two wolves.

One wolf wants to use millions of dollars of Warner Bros' own money to erect a giant middle finger directly in front of their studio for trying to take a beloved creation of hers and reboot it without the original creators.

The other wolf can't help but love the world she created and wants to share more of it with us.

We watched those two wolves fight for two hours and it was occasionally beautiful.

Gangringo fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Dec 23, 2021

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

LesterGroans posted:

I don't care about him at all (also, I'm pretty sure he's a bot, right? So he's not a victim at all). The powerful part is her knowing she's something other than what she seems and discussing that with someone who gets it.

I didn't think it was powerful because of the logistics (I get why she doesn't look like that), I think it was powerful because of the performance and what it meant for the character.

Ok, I guess I see what you mean now. Her reaction is absolutely valid, no matter the cause of events that lead to it

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

checkplease posted:

Lana definitely chose some of the same big action location for a reason. The intro building, the subway, and then later a motorcycle chase similar to reloaded. Keanu is playing a very tired Neo who really only gets serious in these fights when people say he cant see Trinity. The meta reason of course is that movies that try to repeat their past high points just never work as well, like death star and death planet from awakens. That being said I dont even think the intro rooftops or subway battle are lovely. They are just not as good as the old ones.

Oh, I absolutely believe every choice in the film is deliberate, low-rent fights and all. I was being facetious when I said "we'll never know" lmao, and poking a bit of fun at anyone who refuses to engage with and/or balks at the idea that maybe certain recreated/inspired scenes being "lovely on purpose" or whatever you want to call it has clear authorial intent when put into context.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
This movie is lib Brain as gently caress and the lovely dialogue in certain parts basically holds this movie down from being a lot better than it could be. Marvel movies have irreparably ruined action movie dialogue for the next 15 years at least.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I don't agree all the fights are bad on purpose but the fight against the Exiles being kinda poo poo while it focused on Merv ranting was 100% intentional

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

I'm entirely convinced that the fight scenes are going to be reclaimed as actually good in a few years, like what happened with Miami Vice.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Actually I thought the first scene did Inception better than Inception and the last scene did zombie movie better than most zombie movies (the bodies falling out of the sky was both frightening and a fun turn on the “jumping off buildings” motif the whole film has), it’s just the Merovingian fight I don’t like

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Some of the behind the scenes stuff for original matrix showed how they trained those fights for months to get all of the choreography. I think Lana stylistically wanted the fights to look different (while being a call back to contrast with), but I wonder if it was also difficult to get all the actors to train for that long again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

an actual dog posted:

I'm entirely convinced that the fight scenes are going to be reclaimed as actually good in a few years, like what happened with Miami Vice.

All the action isn't bad, some it is pretty slick imo! But I think it's ok to say that none of the action is as good or as well designed compared to the first three films. Deliberate choice? Up to you. I don't think it's wrong to read it either way tbh.