Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Competition tie breakers should progress through ever more exotic situations

1 OT: back or armbar

2 OT: backseat of car

3 OT: a top moving tractor trailer

4 OT: rim of volcano

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Haha Next level :D

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

If you're curious what the judo strike/weapons stuff looks like:

Goshin Jutsu includes self-defense techniques vs grabs, strikes, sticks, knives, and guns. It was developed in the 1940s/50s to update kime no kata (below) and it's a big favourite of old grognard judo dudes. I'm absolutely not a fan of knife/gun defense, but it's worth noting that many of the knife attacks in this kata are more realistic (close thrusts, e.g.) than most of the bullshido self-defense that we see online (DUST) with swinging slashes, and that the gun defense is a bit more nuanced, too (waiting for the attacker to reach for your wallet, e.g.). I'm not defending the techniques entirely, because yeah, trying to fight a knife will just get you killed, but there has been more thought put into these than we usually see, so they're somewhat less bad. Note too that these aren't "someone is threatening you with a knife and telling you to comply" but rather the context is "the knife is coming at you." I think it's also neat that the strike defense portion includes some straight punches, which is pretty rare. This video is 30+ minutes long but the demonstration is the first 8 minutes and then the last 25 is instruction.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8MlGidQY-4

Kime no Kata is a nineteenth-century kneeling/standing self-defense kata, which as I understand is something of a florigellia of the even earlier ryu-jujitsu techniques for like "what if a perfidious ronin attacks you while you're at a tea ceremony" or something like that. I don't know much about it, because I don't know anyone who practices it, but it includes grabs, strikes, sword and dagger. Includes a sweet groin strike just before 3 minutes, and I'm seeing that some of the techniques in Kime no Kata overlap with those of Goshin Jutsu.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eN1Z8qKNfW8

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

I think about the knife stuff a lot like I think about martial arts in general, and that's that unless you are practicing it on a live opponent often, it's mostly theory. I think that knife video recognizes that. But I don't think I'm interested in learning to defend a knife attack unless we are going to train knives everyday for a few years. Otherwise, I'm going to try and not get in fights, and especially not in knife fights. And then in the case that I find myself unaramed against someone that pulls a knife on me with the intention of fighting me: I'll try my best. But the time spent learning knife protecting I would rather work on sport bjj.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

You dont have to go the MMA route in order to learn these concepts. Many schools teach these concepts as part of jiu jitsu classes, and many dont.

Right, sorry, I meant that as two separate things.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

In my perfect imaginary BJJ gym we would have something like this. One class per week on 'self-defence' run by somebody with MMA experience, and you would teach a bunch of like... grappling where you break grips and do technical standups directly into a sprint.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

In my perfect imaginary BJJ gym we would have something like this. One class per week on 'self-defence' run by somebody with MMA experience, and you would teach a bunch of like... grappling where you break grips and do technical standups directly into a sprint.

My coach always says takedown defense is the most critical thing for self defense BJJ....because if you can stay standing you can run much easier.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans

Sherbert Hoover posted:

I got dropped hard on my back with a double-leg takedown tonight and even though I kept my head forward and didn't hit the mat with it, I still felt the impact real hard in my head and neck. Am I doing something wrong?

This post got lost on the previous page and I meant to try and help but got distracted by the carjitsu. It sounds like you’re saying that you got taken down and didn’t hit your head but still felt a jarring impact up your neck and head? This sounds like an issue of improperly rounding your spine as you fell. Imagine falling onto your butt with your spine vertical, and the impact that would be transmitted from the ground, straight up your spine to your head. It would feel almost the same as hitting your head on the ground. You can do the same thing if you hit the ground kinda shoulderblade-level, you can send the impact up your c-spine and ring your bell a bit. Getting everything lined up right varies with the fall and I think probably comes mostly from experience.

Long and short of it is keep practicing breakfalls, trying to distribute impact over as much body area and time as you can (as in, taking .5 seconds to land in a heap will hurt less than landing all at once.)

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
That's exactly what happened. Thanks for the response.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
yall gyms breaking over xmas? i've decided to focus on my cardio fitness during the two week break by walking up a mountain im currently living at the foot of. the other option is drinking and eating until i explode.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Marching Powder posted:

yall gyms breaking over xmas? i've decided to focus on my cardio fitness during the two week break by walking up a mountain im currently living at the foot of. the other option is drinking and eating until i explode.

My gym is still going but I'm not because I'm basically getting a steady stream of covid exposures

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Marching Powder posted:

Mine got covid'd, which sucks. After x mas I'll be trying to train at one guys home gym to at least get some rolls in.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
ugh i forgot covid was still ravaging non-isolated shitholes. hope you guys are well over the holidays.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

The place I go to is closed one or two days but I'm gonna miss a couple more due to life stuff. I opted to eat trash and drink today so now I feel like a can of smashed butt holes.

I have noticed that my shoulders are angry so I'm gonna work some shoulder stuff into my yoga. I'll probably stick to my normal exercise stuff.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

CommonShore posted:

If you're curious what the judo strike/weapons stuff looks like:

Goshin Jutsu includes self-defense techniques vs grabs, strikes, sticks, knives, and guns. It was developed in the 1940s/50s to update kime no kata (below) and it's a big favourite of old grognard judo dudes. I'm absolutely not a fan of knife/gun defense, but it's worth noting that many of the knife attacks in this kata are more realistic (close thrusts, e.g.) than most of the bullshido self-defense that we see online (DUST) with swinging slashes, and that the gun defense is a bit more nuanced, too (waiting for the attacker to reach for your wallet, e.g.). I'm not defending the techniques entirely, because yeah, trying to fight a knife will just get you killed, but there has been more thought put into these than we usually see, so they're somewhat less bad. Note too that these aren't "someone is threatening you with a knife and telling you to comply" but rather the context is "the knife is coming at you." I think it's also neat that the strike defense portion includes some straight punches, which is pretty rare. This video is 30+ minutes long but the demonstration is the first 8 minutes and then the last 25 is instruction.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8MlGidQY-4

Kime no Kata is a nineteenth-century kneeling/standing self-defense kata, which as I understand is something of a florigellia of the even earlier ryu-jujitsu techniques for like "what if a perfidious ronin attacks you while you're at a tea ceremony" or something like that. I don't know much about it, because I don't know anyone who practices it, but it includes grabs, strikes, sword and dagger. Includes a sweet groin strike just before 3 minutes, and I'm seeing that some of the techniques in Kime no Kata overlap with those of Goshin Jutsu.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eN1Z8qKNfW8

Thanks for posting this.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

New IJF rules adjustment just landed. It begins with a bunch of league organization poo poo but I'm linking the part where Neil Adams starts talking about the actual on-mat changes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5Zmpvs7S4E&t=365s

It's a mix of stuff, mostly minor.

1) Redefinition that an action needs to be continuous drive and effort to get a score. If a movement goes part way, stops momentum, and then resumes, no score.

2 &3) Redefinition of wazari such that just affect the extreme fringe cases. As I understand they're just adjusting an older definition here to prevent a "well actually" situation that existed.

4) This one is weird - giving a shido for landing on both of your hands or elbows when thrown. I guess it's a safety thing.

5) Rollover coutner techniques. I don't even get it - counters get no score now if you get thrown and counter by rolling your opponent over your body. I think this is a piss-poor attempt to adjust a previous rule that made relatively little sense wrt "you can't use your landing to initiate a counter".

6) Reverse Seoi Nage is now no score and shido. Idk.

7) Gripping or touching under the belt (leg contact) is allowed in the end phase of a throw i.e. if you throw someone and they're on the ground already, you can switch your grip to the legs to finish them off or get ne waza position.

8) Collar/lapel grip called purely legal as long as it's being used to attack rather than as a defensive frame.

9) Unconventional grips must be used to throw immediately.

10) Breaking grip and not attempting to take a grip immediately is shido.

11) Retying gi/hair is allowed once per judoka per contest. The example here is specifically when it's the long dawdly fix that delays the contest. After the first time it's shido.

12) Head diving results in DQ. The examples here are of a dude using a head stand while throwing. It's pretty cringe inducing to watch actually.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

Tonight I learned that everyone in the evening classes I attend thinks I smell good. I'm not sure what to do with that information.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Hah, do you use fabric softener on your gi?

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

Jack B Nimble posted:

Hah, do you use fabric softener on your gi?

I do for my spats in no gi. Haven't heard any smell reports from gi yet.

Coach asked for someone who wasn't sweaty yet to show some drills. One dude was like "if you ever need someone who doesn't stink, it's always knuthgrush." And then there was a round of vigorous affirmations from the whole group and many testimonials about exactly how floral I smell. Was a little weird.

Coach had me in a triangle to demonstrate a transition and said "yeah you do smell really good" while torquing on my neck. I just let out a muffled "thanks" and wondered what decisions I'd made in life to lead me to that moment.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

knuthgrush posted:

I do for my spats in no gi. Haven't heard any smell reports from gi yet.

Coach asked for someone who wasn't sweaty yet to show some drills. One dude was like "if you ever need someone who doesn't stink, it's always knuthgrush." And then there was a round of vigorous affirmations from the whole group and many testimonials about exactly how floral I smell. Was a little weird.

Coach had me in a triangle to demonstrate a transition and said "yeah you do smell really good" while torquing on my neck. I just let out a muffled "thanks" and wondered what decisions I'd made in life to lead me to that moment.

Lol owns

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
Almost another week before the dojo opens again and I'm fiending.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

Sherbert Hoover posted:

Almost another week before the dojo opens again and I'm fiending.

Soon, friend! Stop walking around your house and strictly shrimp in order to get from room to room. You'll be ready!

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

knuthgrush posted:

Tonight I learned that everyone in the evening classes I attend thinks I smell good. I'm not sure what to do with that information.

Well on the plus side you're probably getting more interest from rolling partners than you would otherwise; on the minus side you've gotta tap people out honestly with your north-south choke (and similar) with no assist from any skunk powers.

Pretty decent trade off imo

Vashro
May 12, 2004

Proud owner of Lazy Lion #46
practice watching TV inverted! gotta get comfortable with your upsidedown orientation

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

Grace Baiting posted:

Well on the plus side you're probably getting more interest from rolling partners than you would otherwise; on the minus side you've gotta tap people out honestly with your north-south choke (and similar) with no assist from any skunk powers.

Pretty decent trade off imo

Fair assessment. I've certainly tapped to grundlefunk before. :barf:

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

I just want to write it down so that I stick to it.
I'm going to take a break from grappling for at least 2 months. I recently moved and the new place I'm training at isn't really a good fit, and I keep getting ring worm, and giving my wife ringworm, and they make you use the bathroom with no shoes on and just hop back on the mat and that really grosses me out. There are a lot of other small problems I have with this place, not enough no gi, quality of instruction, warmups. For the first time in my life I dread training. So i'm going to take a two month break, not going to watch bjj on the internet, and try to find a new school that fits my needs in a little while.

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.

gay for gacha posted:

I just want to write it down so that I stick to it.
I'm going to take a break from grappling for at least 2 months. I recently moved and the new place I'm training at isn't really a good fit, and I keep getting ring worm, and giving my wife ringworm, and they make you use the bathroom with no shoes on and just hop back on the mat and that really grosses me out. There are a lot of other small problems I have with this place, not enough no gi, quality of instruction, warmups. For the first time in my life I dread training. So i'm going to take a two month break, not going to watch bjj on the internet, and try to find a new school that fits my needs in a little while.

Man, that sucks. Basic hygiene is like the base layer of Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs when it comes to grappling. Besides whatever topical or prescription antifungals you're using, I'd suggest picking up some Nizoral shampoo from the pharmacy (should be OTC) and have you and the wife use it 'til the bottle is empty. My coach keeps the gym showers stocked with Head & Shoulders for the same reason, and it seems to be working ok. Tea tree oil is supposed to be a mild antifungal too (though the evidence is a little shakier).

But basically, when it comes to ringworm, I suggest the Ellen Ripley approach where you take off and nuke the site from orbit.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
That place sounds horrible, hygiene wise, hit da bricks is a good plan.

The way covid is going in Australia, I'm not sure I'll be able to continue grappling when my holiday is over in a week's time

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

Man that's pretty gross. Is that the same gym you were getting injured at?

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

knuthgrush posted:

Man that's pretty gross. Is that the same gym you were getting injured at?

nah. I just started coming to this one right after my knee healed enough to train again because I moved.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

starkebn posted:

That place sounds horrible, hygiene wise, hit da bricks is a good plan.

The way covid is going in Australia, I'm not sure I'll be able to continue grappling when my holiday is over in a week's time

I think I'm going to continue. My morning classes rarely have more than 6-8 people in them and we disinfect the place like it's a hospital. The coach also teaches some night classes but in the past year any time he's felt sick he sits masked in a chair at a distance and teaches by talking student-proxies through the techniques.

It's not perfect but it seems like they're just letting it run free now, not sure what else to do.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

gay for gacha posted:

and they make you use the bathroom with no shoes on

Wait what?! Usually its the other way around. What is their justification for wanting you to NOT have your shoes on and then hopping back on the mat? Thats really weird and gross.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
Yeah no matter how terrible my gym was they at least got that part right.

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Weed smokin', joint tokin', fake Jew of the Weed thread

just watched the first dvd of three of nicky ryans wrestle up dvd. Learned a lot of great details, can't wait to drill this stuff and really add it to my game. I'm going to base most of my curriculum this month based on wrestling up. Super excited.

Pyle
Feb 18, 2007

Tenno Heika Banzai
The COVID-19 cases here have skyrocketed since Omicron variant was introduced. Gyms are closed for two weeks for a start and I believe that will continue for weeks or months. This sucks. I was planning on 2022 to be the competition year and I was going to Euros 2022 in Italy in February. Now, I can't finish my training for competition or train anything at all. So much for the competition. I have to train to get my motivation back once we have reopened.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Wait what?! Usually its the other way around. What is their justification for wanting you to NOT have your shoes on and then hopping back on the mat? Thats really weird and gross.

I don't want to trash talk a place that has a community of people that really like the experience there. It doesn't feel very martial arts. I think the culture of the gym just isn't the culture I like, but obviously they have enough people training there that it seems to work for some.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

gay for gacha posted:

I don't want to trash talk a place that has a community of people that really like the experience there. It doesn't feel very martial arts. I think the culture of the gym just isn't the culture I like, but obviously they have enough people training there that it seems to work for some.

i signed up to learn how to scrap, but stayed for the unblinking subservience to objectively questionable practices

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

we just love our pee and poo feet!!

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

gay for gacha posted:

Often times there are people in those communities who help enable bad behavior/bad practices. Its usually not just the head coach who is leading by bad example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Starting to really like the transitions from half/deep half to X. It seems to work pretty well even when they are not standing up and are maybe on a knee. Got a sweet back take last night against someone my size using this transition from X. Im starting to see a little more growth and thats always a fun place to be.