Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

Skyl3lazer posted:

Yeah Fain's actor is definitely a high point, as was the again fantastic effects for channeling. Rand/Ish was probably the best part of the episode. I just want to imagine the world that Rafe got 10+2h premier, everything moved so fast and felt very checklist.

I agree that more episodes would improve the flow and flesh out the characters more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Can't believe that anyone thought that eight episodes was sufficient here.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

withak posted:

They did light torches at the start of the battle, clearly someone did a cost/benefit analysis on what it takes to actually pull off 24/7 lighting vs. how often the Shadow-Spawn are actually as serious hazard to anyone.

Yeah my point was people were bitching about it last week and oh look they did it this time

DarkHorse posted:

They at least made a nod to it. They made Agelmar kind of dumb and arrogant but it's at least an interesting arc for him to go through

The only things Agelmar's going through is a spear :laugh:

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

it's incredibly easy to believe executives decided that our opinions as book readers being more positive wasn't worth the risk of spending a few hundred million dollars more on additional episodes of an untested tv property that could fail badly

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

SerSpook posted:

nah, the tower aes sedai snuck in 13 women, they linked, and captured him right there in the heart of his power. carried him out in the box

Yeah Rand said no more than (six?) in the city or palace at a time, and they held to it long enough to let his guard down and sneaked seven newly raised sisters in pretending they were servants. Crammed him in the box theyd brought the "offerings" in, and because Rand came and went without warning the Maidens it took a while before the trick was realized

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

eke out posted:

it's incredibly easy to believe executives decided that our opinions as book readers being more positive wasn't worth the risk of spending a few hundred million dollars more on additional episodes of an untested tv property that could fail badly

There must be some kind of analytics for streaming shows in general behind the decision. A lot of shows are trending towards shorter episode counts - The Mandalorian, Loki/Hawkeye/other Marvel properties, etc. Clearly some data is convincing executives that there is a sweet spot around this length for a balance of viewership/costs/number of subscriptions. Obviously I wish that WoT had more episodes and time, and it would be a much better show for it. But I don't have hundreds of millions to spend and Amazon does.

fucked-up birthday
Sep 7, 2006

Baseless speculation here, I'm probably wrong about this but my thinking is everyone has been played by Ishamael/TDO for ages leading up to this. All knowledge of the eye was destroyed by darkfriends over the years according to Moiraine. So if things play out like the books where Ishamael can pop out every so often to gently caress with things, he has every mention of the real purpose of the eye destroyed, with it just being the site of one of the seals maybe. Manipulating things to have the dragon brought there to either be taken off the board or break the seal he created in a past life. I'm wanting to say when Rand does whatever it was he did Ishamael smiled as he disintegrated or whatever, I'll have to watch it again. I also have a cold and drank a bunch of nyquil so I'm talking out my rear end.

And of course the whole attack on the gap being a feint to leave Fal Dara less defended so Fain can just walk in and grab the horn after Uno's hard work digging it up.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Gully Foyle posted:

There must be some kind of analytics for streaming shows in general behind the decision. A lot of shows are trending towards shorter episode counts - The Mandalorian, Loki/Hawkeye/other Marvel properties, etc. Clearly some data is convincing executives that there is a sweet spot around this length for a balance of viewership/costs/number of subscriptions. Obviously I wish that WoT had more episodes and time, and it would be a much better show for it. But I don't have hundreds of millions to spend and Amazon does.

i hope it gets more in the future! i just never understand why anyone is surprised that they basically did it in the minimum number of episodes they could fully tell the story in, it was still a massive risk for a bunch of very risk averse amazon executives, 10 or 12 would've been even more massive

hopefully now the metrics for future seasons look very different since they have a proven view base and have outperformed initial expectations and justified even more risk

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

"Things were happening to Barney" Sanderson just said on The Dusty Wheel. That phrasing does indicate some things over others.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

MegaZeroX posted:

"Things were happening to Barney" Sanderson just said on The Dusty Wheel. That phrasing does indicate some things over others.

Probably rules out being an anti-vaxxer at the very least

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

MegaZeroX posted:

Sounds like probably some sort of mental health issue, with Barney requesting that it be kept private and Rafe/Amazon etc complying. Sad and unfortunate, but not unexpected. I hope he is alright. His Mat was very good.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

i've said it once, i'll say it again

the barney harris stuff reminds me of michael o'hare on babylon 5. i really hope it's not something like that because that's hell, but i really don't think it was something he personally did. the silence is because amazon is honoring his request imo, and that's why nobody is saying anything. nobody said anything about o'hare until his death either

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

eke out posted:

i hope it gets more in the future! i just never understand why anyone is surprised that they basically did it in the minimum number of episodes they could fully tell the story in, it was still a massive risk for a bunch of very risk averse amazon executives, 10 or 12 would've been even more massive
Rushing the story and cramming it into 8 episodes makes it more likely to fail though. And the additional time the show needed should have been spent almost entirely on dialogue, which would have been cost effective.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Gonna be hard to paint the blight as a dangerous thing in the future when two of them just went for a stroll and only encountered one dead body and the season ends with Rand wandering off on his own.

Kinda meh on the finale overall, I think.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Pleads posted:

Gonna be hard to paint the blight as a dangerous thing in the future when two of them just went for a stroll and only encountered one dead body and the season ends with Rand wandering off on his own.

Kinda meh on the finale overall, I think.

You don't think that Ishamael let them get there? Like that was basically part of his plan to lure and tempt Rand?

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Gully Foyle posted:

You don't think that Ishamael let them get there? Like that was basically part of his plan to lure and tempt Rand?

I mean, sure, but presumably he’s not still guiding the path as Rand takes off with a summer jacket and 6 arrows to his name in the literal rear end end of nowhere.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
Looking forward to a year of goons saying "show is bad" "NUH UH!" "show is good" "NUH UH!" :allears:

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

eke out posted:

hopefully now the metrics for future seasons look very different since they have a proven view base and have outperformed initial expectations and justified even more risk

I mean, they built and then literally burnt down the whole Two Rivers set. By all accounts they felt confident and committed enough to invest quite a lot, so another two episodes doesn't seem like the kind of thing that would break the bank.

I agree that there's probably some analytics stuff driving the decision making, where if you have 10-12 episodes you see consistent audience drop off at certain lull points in the story but the structure of 8 or less keeps people engaged enough to be a statistically significant difference. And as more streaming platforms shift from dropping full seasons to doing the traditional weekly release schedule 8 episodes is few enough that it feels like you'll be able to see it all in short order.

My guess is probably that they keep the 8 episode structure for future seasons but we maybe get extended premieres and finales to help pad things out.

eke out posted:

[whispering to my date when bayle domon comes on screen] "fortune prick me, that do be bayle domon"

:perfect:

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

man i was really looking forward to rand fighting in the sky above tarwin’s gap. extremely underwhelming.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Ok, quote this post by midnight Christmas EST if you want this gangtag added to your profile:

Few rules:

if you already have three gangtags you'll have to ask me to wipe one of them to replace it with this one
the gangtag will link back to this thread
Some people have grandfathered code in their profiles, no guarantees if you're one of those but I'll try to avoid loving it up

I would love one gang tag please. Thank you so much!

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

eke out posted:

[whispering to my date when bayle domon comes on screen] "fortune prick me, that do be bayle domon"

I don't know why, but I hear every line in an Illianer accent in a stereotypical pirate voice.

:pirate: "Arr, ye do be testing me patience."

Every day in Illian is September 19th!

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Ok, quote this post by midnight Christmas EST if you want this gangtag added to your profile:

Few rules:

if you already have three gangtags you'll have to ask me to wipe one of them to replace it with this one
Some people have grandfathered code in their profiles, no guarantees if you're one of those but I'll try to avoid loving it up

gangtag++

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

sudo rm -rf posted:

man i was really looking forward to rand fighting in the sky above tarwin’s gap. extremely underwhelming.

That's book 2 isn't it

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

sudo rm -rf posted:

Yeah, what a cool scene to cut.

I would've loved to see the discovery of the Horn and the Dragon banner too, instead of the amazing super duper legendary horn just being buried in a dais, oh and we're going to introduce it right at the moment we're digging it out of there by the way, no build up or anything lol.
Poor storytelling.

Gully Foyle posted:

Yeah and he let Lan and Moiraine through without a scratch too, because

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

William Bear posted:

I don't know why, but I hear every line in an Illianer accent in a stereotypical pirate voice.

:pirate: "Arr, ye do be testing me patience."

Every day in Illian is September 19th!

That's exactly how Michael Kramer reads it on the audiobooks and it's amazing.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

hosed-up birthday posted:

Baseless speculation here, I'm probably wrong about this but my thinking is everyone has been played by Ishamael/TDO for ages leading up to this. All knowledge of the eye was destroyed by darkfriends over the years according to Moiraine. So if things play out like the books where Ishamael can pop out every so often to gently caress with things, he has every mention of the real purpose of the eye destroyed, with it just being the site of one of the seals maybe. Manipulating things to have the dragon brought there to either be taken off the board or break the seal he created in a past life. I'm wanting to say when Rand does whatever it was he did Ishamael smiled as he disintegrated or whatever, I'll have to watch it again. I also have a cold and drank a bunch of nyquil so I'm talking out my rear end.

And of course the whole attack on the gap being a feint to leave Fal Dara less defended so Fain can just walk in and grab the horn after Uno's hard work digging it up.

He definitely smiled. He got what he wanted out of that interaction, and I think we were supposed to take the conversation with Padan Fain as further evidence that it was all according to plan.

Rythian
Dec 31, 2007

You take what comes, and the rest is void.

I was watching through the "Origin Stories" part after watching the finale, and that reminded me about something I've wondered ever since I read it when I was a kid.

What is actually the point/lesson/moral/reason for a exhausted and barely recovering Mat beating Galad and Gawyn both at the same time with a staff, and then the legend of the super Warder who had ten thousand won fights except against a farmer with a staff?

I liked the scene as much as most people did back then I imagine, clenching my fist going all "gently caress yeah, Mat!". But ever since then I've always wondered... what the gently caress?

Is the point that Mat just absolute godlike battlemaster, unstoppable and as amazing as anyone ever? Or is it a ta'veren thing? His luck thing?

And what about that random farmer who beat SuperWarder? Was he also ta'veren? Super lucky? Also a godlike fighter?

Is it "never underestimate your opponent?" or "Actually staffs > swords, fyi". If the first is the case, is it just a coincidence it's a farmer with a staff both times? Is there a point to that story at all?

I'm almost certainly overthinking it, but I guess I'm just wondering what other people took from that.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

El Grillo posted:

I would've loved to see the discovery of the Horn and the Dragon banner

This is another thing that bothers me a bit in the show, is just making their own version of iconic emblems. Took me most of the prologue to realize LTT's dragon pin because it's not the dragon symbol we all know. Same with the wheel and serpent being changed into the show's version. It's a nitpick, but just seemed odd to me from the beginning.

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?
I definitely think that Moiraine is just shielded, similar to the fate of book Liandrin.

I thought it was interesting that Moiraine told Rand she wouldn't teach him to channel because of the madness and not because it would be like a bird teaching a fish to swim or whatever.

Overall, I'm of a mixed opinion on the show so far. My main gripe is that the show is trying to cram a lot in and to me it feels almost more like a series of vignettes than a cohesive whole because it doesn't have time to do the world building.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

El Grillo posted:

Yeah, what a cool scene to cut.

I would've loved to see the discovery of the Horn and the Dragon banner too, instead of the amazing super duper legendary horn just being buried in a dais, oh and we're going to introduce it right at the moment we're digging it out of there by the way, no build up or anything lol.
Poor storytelling.

Rand doesn't fight in the sky above Tarwin's Gap. That's book 2 at Falme. He nukes the army from the ground, but they gave that to the women to do while he is at the Eye instead. Also, there is very little build up in the books for the horn - they just find it at the Eye afterwards. Don't get me wrong, I liked them finding it there in the books, but I don't think this is that different in terms of impact, and accelerates the Padan Fain stealing the horn plot, which is a hook for Season 2.

El Grillo posted:

Yeah and he let Lan and Moiraine through without a scratch too, because

Because he needed her to lead Rand to the Eye. Lan is just badass or by the time he gets there the Blight is quiet again after the fight with Ishamael, exactly as it is in the book.

Gully Foyle fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Dec 24, 2021

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I may need to watch it again, but did Fain say there were FIVE ta'veren in the TR? So Nynaeve is ta'veren too?

Rythian
Dec 31, 2007

You take what comes, and the rest is void.

Dr. Clockwork posted:

I may need to watch it again, but did Fain say there were FIVE ta'veren in the TR? So Nynaeve is ta'veren too?

Yeah, he definitely said "all five of you".

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Skyl3lazer posted:

So "the hunt for the horn" is no longer a periodic thing, so faile is going to be looking for fain? What about all the hunters around when they're looking for the bowl of winds? I need to reread the books just to figure out what the gently caress changes this ep implies lol.

The Hunt for the Horn isn't something that occurs on a regular basis, the one in the books is the first one to be called in 400 years.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Few rules:

hey lol

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

The Hunt for the Horn isn't something that occurs on a regular basis, the one in the books is the first one to be called in 400 years.

Yeah but why would they ever hunt for the horn if fal dara just has it?

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Rythian posted:

I was watching through the "Origin Stories" part after watching the finale, and that reminded me about something I've wondered ever since I read it when I was a kid.

What is actually the point/lesson/moral/reason for a exhausted and barely recovering Mat beating Galad and Gawyn both at the same time with a staff, and then the legend of the super Warder who had ten thousand won fights except against a farmer with a staff?

I liked the scene as much as most people did back then I imagine, clenching my fist going all "gently caress yeah, Mat!". But ever since then I've always wondered... what the gently caress?

Is the point that Mat just absolute godlike battlemaster, unstoppable and as amazing as anyone ever? Or is it a ta'veren thing? His luck thing?

And what about that random farmer who beat SuperWarder? Was he also ta'veren? Super lucky? Also a godlike fighter?

Is it "never underestimate your opponent?" or "Actually staffs > swords, fyi". If the first is the case, is it just a coincidence it's a farmer with a staff both times? Is there a point to that story at all?

I'm almost certainly overthinking it, but I guess I'm just wondering what other people took from that.

1. Mat is a ta'averen Pattern-bound hero whose whole thing is luck, especially against long odds.
2. People with nothing to lose and/or everything on the line will usually fight harder than people who are fighting because they're ordered to.
3. The trainer wanted to teach Gawyn and Galad a lesson in underestimating and/or patronizing an opponent based on what they think they know.

But mostly it's just the first one.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Rythian posted:

It's all those things (the staff does have a reach advantage), but also 1) Mat is lucky, 2) mat has started to get memories of his past lives or ancestors fighting in battles, 3) ta'veren, 4) Mat's fighting to win and the other two aren't really.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Skyl3lazer posted:

Yeah but why would they ever hunt for the horn if fal dara just has it?

Because it's a secret carried down by the lords of Fal Dara and isn't common knowledge outside of the lords and their closest retainers? It's literally buried under the throne, it's not exactly out in the open. Or maybe the in-world hunt for the horn isn't a thing in the show - in the books its largely just background world filling and has no impact on the plot. By the time any of our heroes are really aware of the hunt for the horn, they literally have it in their hands.

It's all those things (the staff does have a reach advantage), but also 1) Mat is lucky, 2) mat has started to get memories of his past lives or ancestors fighting in battles, 3) ta'veren, 4) Mat's fighting to win and the other two aren't really.

Don't forget that Mat placed a wager on this fight, and this is the time when his gambling luck goes loving insane.

Gully Foyle fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Dec 24, 2021

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

The blight being as deadly or benign as TDO wants it to be is clearly established in the books. Theres a period of time where it actually recedes and gets really quiet. Clearly Ishamael wanted them to get to the Eye and was pleased with what happened there.

Loial is not dead his actor is on location in Prague and has been in dozens of Instagram posts and stories during season 2 filming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Hexel posted:

The blight being as deadly or benign as TDO wants it to be is clearly established in the books. Theres a period of time where it actually recedes and gets really quiet. Clearly Ishamael wanted them to get to the Eye and was pleased with what happened there.

Loial is not dead his actor is on location in Prague and has been in dozens of Instagram posts and stories during season 2 filming.

What about Uno?