Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

As for what’s next for Rand I would imagine he will read the Karaethon Cycle and then head towards Tear, hopefully stopping in Caemlyn along the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

we pretty much only heard about uno the moment it started becoming relevant for season 2 early casting stuff and i doubt the actor would be as excited for the whole thing if his role was to say like 3 lines and then die. him and loial are fine

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

What about Uno?

Unknown and difficult to tell since Guy Roberts is a native of Prague.

Chomposaur
Feb 28, 2010

Brandon Sanderson's doing a live commentary on the episode on The Dusty Wheel YouTube channel btw, I'm enjoying it

Lightning_F
Oct 27, 2010

Ok, quote this post by midnight Christmas EST if you want this gangtag added to your profile:

Few rules:

if you already have three gangtags you'll have to ask me to wipe one of them to replace it with this one
the gangtag will link back to this thread
Some people have grandfathered code in their profiles, no guarantees if you're one of those but I'll try to avoid loving it up

Plus one braid tuggers please++

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Maybe if the blight is just controlled by the Dark One and that's why they were allowed to pass through so easily they would have given some indication that that was the case. You know like someone musing 'the Blight seems quiet... too quiet'. Or any of the billion other ways you can do that in a show

Hint: it's not actually something the showrunners thought through, it's just another little hole like all the others because the pacing of the show is absurdly rushed

Rythian
Dec 31, 2007

You take what comes, and the rest is void.

Mat Cauthon posted:

1. Mat is a ta'averen Pattern-bound hero whose whole thing is luck, especially against long odds.
2. People with nothing to lose and/or everything on the line will usually fight harder than people who are fighting because they're ordered to.
3. The trainer wanted to teach Gawyn and Galad a lesson in underestimating and/or patronizing an opponent based on what they think they know.

But mostly it's just the first one.

Wow, a reply from the man in question himself. An honor. :)

I guess that's all there's to it, then. I kept looking for something else there. I think had it just been Mat winning, I would have just said "Main character has protagonist powers and/or is awesome and kickass, that's pretty cool."

But the right after we're told the story about the legendary Jearom Gaidin, greatest Blademaster who ever lived, godlike sword fighter that never lost for over 10000 battles, except against specifically a farmer with specifically a quarterstaff.

That just made me think there was something more to it. Maybe not.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

th3t00t posted:

Rushing the story and cramming it into 8 episodes makes it more likely to fail though. And the additional time the show needed should have been spent almost entirely on dialogue, which would have been cost effective.

What a weird thing to say when the show is over and it's a huge success.

Chomposaur
Feb 28, 2010

So in retrospect, Moiraine's source from the first episode about the ta'veren in Emond's Field was probably leaked through Padan Fain to get Moiraine to take the dragon to the seal right? That is my headcanon even if it's not true because that line was one of my biggest issues with the show lol

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

Gully Foyle posted:

Rand doesn't fight in the sky above Tarwin's Gap. That's book 2 at Falme. He nukes the army from the ground, but they gave that to the women to do while he is at the Eye instead. Also, there is very little build up in the books for the horn - they just find it at the Eye afterwards. Don't get me wrong, I liked them finding it there in the books, but I don't think this is that different in terms of impact, and accelerates the Padan Fain stealing the horn plot, which is a hook for Season 2.

Because he needed her to lead Rand to the Eye. Lan is just badass or by the time he gets there the Blight is quiet again after the fight with Ishamael, exactly as it is in the book.
In the Books, finding the horn at the eye came out of nowhere, but they had already at least established the existence of the Horn. The first time the show even bothered to mention it was when they were digging it up.

Hellbore
Jan 25, 2012

Hexel posted:

Unknown and difficult to tell since Guy Roberts is a native of Prague.

I thought Robert's was one of the ones announced for Season 2?

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Horn, Illian, hunt of the Horn are all talked about several times during the first book.

It's like having a gleeman along for the ride for a significant stretch of the book was not just about having another interesting character, but was also a very handy device for introducing some of the hugely detailed backstory of the world... hmm...

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Hellbore posted:

I thought Robert's was one of the ones announced for Season 2?

Correct. Him, Ingtar and Masema. I wouldn’t count Uno out.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

CainFortea posted:

What a weird thing to say when the show is over and it's a huge success.
The series is far from finished and it's yet to be seen if it will be a huge success.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Rip Green man you're presence was missed.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

El Grillo posted:

Horn, Illian, hunt of the Horn are all talked about several times during the first book.

It's like having a gleeman along for the ride for a significant stretch of the book was not just about having another interesting character, but was also a very handy device for introducing some of the hugely detailed backstory of the world... hmm...

Oh no, now we have to learn about the Horn at a later time than we would have previously!

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

I really don’t have a problem with them changing Tarwin’s gap. The first three books underuse the ensemble, and the show is just accelerating a lot of growth and reorientation of the narrative that picks up around TSR when people other than Rand become central figures. Brandon Sanderson actually commented on this in a podcast he was on, noting that EOTW has like…maybe a handful of chapters that aren’t Rand’a POV.

Also the whole “Rand just appears and everyone is amazed to see him fighting the “Dark One” gets really samey between TEOTW and TGH.

VanillaGorilla fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Dec 24, 2021

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

I just finished the Pike audiobook of EoW. The fight at the gap is better this way because Jordan made Rand do a weird traveling thing that never comes back until real traveling is introduced. This avoids that issue. He basically ports put, lightning zaps all the trollocs and ports back. The fight in the sky is over Falme and I think that will still happen based on the teaser at the end.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Rip Green man you're presence was missed.

Also missed: fan cloth.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
Goons: "Oh dear I hope they don't put those kinky weird collars on the damane like RJ did" :ohdear:

Rafe Judkins: "No sweat, we'll do ball gags instead"

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

th3t00t posted:

The series is far from finished and it's yet to be seen if it will be a huge success.

Yes, but the topic was the first season. Since further seasons may get more episodes.

RandomReader
Nov 17, 2021

Reik posted:

Oh no, now we have to learn about the Horn at a later time than we would have previously!
Cause gently caress foreshadowing actual poo poo, we need to setup an ultimately pointless love triangle scene!

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

CainFortea posted:

Yes, but the topic was the first season. Since further seasons may get more episodes.

And the fact that insiders stated that season 3 immediately starts filming at the completion of 2. I bet the only reason it isn't announced yet is so they can give a season 2 teaser at the same time.

Bullet Proof
Sep 3, 2006

RandomReader posted:

Cause gently caress foreshadowing actual poo poo, we need to setup an ultimately pointless love triangle scene!

Glad we spent so much time with sad warder guy also

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

RandomReader posted:

so was it worth spending ten bucks to complain about wheel of time on a new account here

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

RandomReader posted:

Your inability to understand interpersonal relationships does not a love triangle make.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Imagine getting mad that The Wheel of Time is spending too much time on interpersonal drama and/or politics to deal with major plot development.

*tugs braid 7-9 times, very specifically*

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Green Man is singing a song with Tom Bombadil right now.

neutral tomato
May 24, 2007

i am on a great adventure.

Ok, quote this post by midnight Christmas EST if you want this gangtag added to your profile:

Few rules:

if you already have three gangtags you'll have to ask me to wipe one of them to replace it with this one
Some people have grandfathered code in their profiles, no guarantees if you're one of those but I'll try to avoid loving it up

i am and probably always be a lurker, but i would not mind being included in this group!

i’m crackers for this show. <3

perhaps i should also add an encyclopedic knowledge of the books, also. :)

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

that little string section playing in the rand temptation scenes is pretty based

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

RandomReader posted:

Stop posting and get out you weird little freak

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
On the whole I thought the season was good, with flaws, I hope they get more time and resources going forward. My biggest fear is that they will ruin Mat, and probably the only thing they could do to actually make me not like the show at this point.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

The green man didn’t die on screen so he’s still alive. He was just hiding through the whole encounter.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Few rules:

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Nitrousoxide posted:

The green man didn’t die on screen so he’s still alive. He was just hiding through the whole encounter.

yup

and bayle domon realized the trollocs were after him, and sailed to lands unknown to avoid them. there he will live as a pirate king

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

If people are curious polling of favorite episodes from 1000/2000 live viewers of The Dusty Wheel (book readers):

Of the 4 "best" episodes:

7 (52%)
4 (35%)
6 (9%)
5 (3%)

Of the 4 "worst" episodes:

3 (51%)
8 (24%)
1 (16%)
2 (7%)

(worth noting that 3 might be biased towards since Matt did talk about it being his favorite).

Was the show ending an improvement over the book's ending:

Yes (52%)
No (48%)

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

ive read it about a half dozen times if not more and I still don't understand the end of the eye of the world. maybe they condense Rands treks across the countryside in TGH and TDR. I'm not as upset by this as I was prepared to be. I wonder if they'll do a season mostly without rand like they did a book mostly without him. actors don't like that so much usually. CG was mostly good. i didn't like Helms Deep But lovely. also didn't like the seanchan landing on the world's rockiest, most strategically useless beach of all time with a completely pointless tidal wave.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

It sure looked like Ishy (assuming that was him and that’s not another change) had a sa’/ter’/angreal. That ring/bracelet he had in his hand.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

navyjack posted:

It sure looked like Ishy (assuming that was him and that’s not another change) had a sa’/ter’/angreal. That ring/bracelet he had in his hand.

The power never really interacts with it like we see when Rand does his face turn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
My feelings are an echo of most other people in this thread. Feels really rushed and disappointing.

Ishmael was fantastic. Perfect actor, perfect costuming, perfect delivery.

Fain similarly is great.

Most everything else was just disappointing.

The Age of Legends opener just felt really pointless in the finale. If it was at the start of a season and then over the course of the season you see more flashes up to the sealing and in parallel you see Rand and crew understand how the seals work too... that would have worked. Just feels like it added nothing.

Battle of Tarwin's Gap felt empty. Agelmar dies pretty much immediately and the Trollocs break through without much of a fight. Amalisa did more but then died a pretty stupid death out of nowhere. Also feels like Egwene should have died and gotten rezzed by Nynaeve not the other way around.

Most of the Eye was fine but ultimately not much happened there either. Rand got tricked into breaking a seal.

Maybe it was the reshoots without Barney that did it in but that was just a really, really weak way to end the season. I'll watch season two but this episode completely turned my opinion around on the adaptation. Even after some changes last episode, I was strongly in the camp of gently caress the haters. Now I wonder if they have valid points. =(

MegaZeroX posted:

Was the show ending an improvement over the book's ending:

Yes (52%)
No (48%)

Man, I really don't get the Yeses here. The book ending has its issues but there was a lot more clarity and detail about what was going on there.

Saltpowered fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Dec 24, 2021