Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

I hope we all die

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

If they were afraid of long term consequences to their business model, why haven't they been riding Biden 24/7 about doing something more than nothing? Because like as it stands, their business model isn't in any immediate danger, that I can see? People are still too loving stupid and sociopathic to change their behavior. So who cares if people die within 12 weeks of riding a plane; you still got their patronage until they die because they aren't going to stop using airlines.

If people were too afraid to fly right now, then we wouldn't be in this situation because people would be too afraid to do many other similarly psychotic things.

the status quo works until it doesn't and nobody had a backup plan prepared

it's incredible to watch unfold in real time

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

Stereotype posted:

the spike in cases literally just started lmao. we still have at least a month before people who are getting infected right now will die. the hospitals still have weeks before this hoard of newly infected start clogging their hallways and parking lots. and more people are traveling to spread the disease than have ever traveled in history lol

It’s pretty funny because the MILD messaging is now fully just deranged screaming about how this exciting new study shows hospitalizations are less than delta. I don’t think that matters when we’re clocking a quarter million cases a day during the traveliest time of an unusually travelly year. We’re already throwing numbers like we did at the height of delta while testing is bottlenecked to poo poo, and this one looks like it’s barely getting started.

ErrorInvalidUser
Aug 23, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

gandlethorpe posted:

I got boosted at Kaiser Permanente today and didn't see one N95 or better apart from my own, staff included :(

You need $35 for an elastomeric?

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Real Mean Queen posted:

It’s pretty funny because the MILD messaging is now fully just deranged screaming about how this exciting new study shows hospitalizations are less than delta. I don’t think that matters when we’re clocking a quarter million cases a day during the traveliest time of an unusually travelly year. We’re already throwing numbers like we did at the height of delta while testing is bottlenecked to poo poo, and this one looks like it’s barely getting started.

also, hospitalizations are probably only less because it's infecting so many people that would have been missed by delta (who won't be hospitalized, but will still have a bad time)

Zoodpipe
Jun 24, 2004

This is an important call. So, shut the fuck up.
Fallen Rib

text editor posted:

I hope we all die

buddy…we’re on our way!

ErrorInvalidUser
Aug 23, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mysterious Jim posted:

Yeah even Al Qaeda had an air force.

Al Qaeda is also pro-mask

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Lacrosse posted:

the status quo works until it doesn't and nobody had a backup plan prepared

it's incredible to watch unfold in real time

Look, Jack, Omicron only just happened now. How the gently caress could any one of us have seen this coming? You act like we had the better part of two years to both react and prepare to this. We didn't. Omicron has only been around since late November. There is simply nothing in recent history that could have prepared us for something like this.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

text editor posted:

I hope we all die

be patient, my child

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Ah.
Well, I mean, the National Guard are already working as doctors and teachers. How hard can it be to literally fly a plane?

maybe we could get some fighter jet pilots to be stewardesses

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Stereotype posted:

stop talking about all this bad news guys. let’s share some good news for once.

i've been doing some heavy lifting trying to find one of my friends' dads a job so he can be there for his daughter and i think we may have found something so he can move back home. he had to leave her to take care on his dying mother and now that she's gone, he's trying to find a job in my state so he can rejoin his daughter. :unsmith:

also got an interview for someone who applied for one of my jobs who has lots of experience but frankly, i knew he could do better than what i was offering. he had a meeting with a goon today and to that goon, if you're reading this, i want to thank you

Goobish
May 31, 2011

What the gently caress Covid just is polite enough to let that awful bitch sing, yeah real convinced. Those idiots all have covid now lmao

ErrorInvalidUser
Aug 23, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Real Mean Queen posted:

poo poo bout to get real after all the family christmas parties

PDP-1
Oct 12, 2004

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood.
e: fuckin bbcode

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Stereotype posted:

I mean, yes. WE have known. but we also knew about all of the horrible things that have happened and will happen. we knew that the variants would eventually break through vaccines and that schools would cause big outbreaks and that zero covid is the only rational policy goal.

the problem is that only we know

They know. They're smarter than us and they know. They have a million people with a million PhD's. But they think they can ~*manage*~ this so that they won't hurt the economy/their political prospects/their rapedungeon.

It's obvious that a MERS + Omicron variant is where this is headed. But all we can do is stand here and scream.

ErrorInvalidUser
Aug 23, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
sprung for the elastomeric upgrade at walmart today

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Stereotype posted:

the spike in cases literally just started lmao. we still have at least a month before people who are getting infected right now will die. the hospitals still have weeks before this hoard of newly infected start clogging their hallways and parking lots. and more people are traveling to spread the disease than have ever traveled in history lol

I'm a little confused about the timeline of covid test performed -> positive case reported; I know it's different in different states but in general I understand there to be a lag of at least several days. It seems to me that the aggregate case count is basically useless for predicting timelines at this point because of this. There is definitely a giantic, insanely huge surge coming, or is it already here and our reporting is so far delayed so that they can backfill it later to keep pretending things aren't so bad?

My current conception of it - and I have no way of knowing if this is accurate, which is of course how the us government wants it - is that we could be anywhere from 'the omicron surge has not started at all yet, and it is just taking hold in the USA' to 'a week or two into the surge'.

I also can't look at daily deaths to try to figure it out because those have long reporting lags too. It seems to me like the hardest to gently caress with data point is hospitalizations, both new and how many there are total. As far as I know those numbers can't be reported weeks after the fact the way deaths and cases are. So I watch that number to try to get a sense of what's really going on. Even that is reading tea leaves, of course. It's all so maddening

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Potato Salad posted:

do large 3M Aura masks exist?

The 9210 is bigger than the 9205

ErrorInvalidUser
Aug 23, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Look, Jack, Omicron only just happened now. How the gently caress could any one of us have seen this coming? You act like we had the better part of two years to both react and prepare to this. We didn't. Omicron has only been around since late November. There is simply nothing in recent history that could have prepared us for something like this.

this could be our last christmas

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

Mike's Mild Lemonade

ErrorInvalidUser
Aug 23, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zeroisanumber posted:

They know. They're smarter than us and they know. They have a million people with a million PhD's. But they think they can ~*manage*~ this so that they won't hurt the economy/their political prospects/their rapedungeon.

It's obvious that a MERS + Omicron variant is where this is headed. But all we can do is stand here and scream.

smh....

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

text editor posted:

I hope we all die

i have some good news for you

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Business Gorillas posted:

i've been doing some heavy lifting trying to find one of my friends' dads a job so he can be there for his daughter and i think we may have found something so he can move back home. he had to leave her to take care on his dying mother and now that she's gone, he's trying to find a job in my state so he can rejoin his daughter. :unsmith:

also got an interview for someone who applied for one of my jobs who has lots of experience but frankly, i knew he could do better than what i was offering. he had a meeting with a goon today and to that goon, if you're reading this, i want to thank you

hey that is pretty good news :unsmith:

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
Coughin’ around the Christmas tree

ErrorInvalidUser
Aug 23, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

empty whippet box posted:

I'm a little confused about the timeline of covid test performed -> positive case reported; I know it's different in different states but in general I understand there to be a lag of at least several days. It seems to me that the aggregate case count is basically useless for predicting timelines at this point because of this. There is definitely a giantic, insanely huge surge coming, or is it already here and our reporting is so far delayed so that they can backfill it later to keep pretending things aren't so bad?

My current conception of it - and I have no way of knowing if this is accurate, which is of course how the us government wants it - is that we could be anywhere from 'the omicron surge has not started at all yet, and it is just taking hold in the USA' to 'a week or two into the surge'.

I also can't look at daily deaths to try to figure it out because those have long reporting lags too. It seems to me like the hardest to gently caress with data point is hospitalizations, both new and how many there are total. As far as I know those numbers can't be reported weeks after the fact the way deaths and cases are. So I watch that number to try to get a sense of what's really going on. Even that is reading tea leaves, of course. It's all so maddening

i can report that we are definitively in surgin conditions

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

euphronius posted:

Has anyone recently been able to order any tests

I followed the instructions for those free ones the other day https://www.i health labs.com, promo “doctormike”
they arrived today

Goobish
May 31, 2011

I'm confused to friends but they condemned people I care about to death and I will always remember that no matter how brain damaged I become, and it is unforgivable. I'll see them in hell

ErrorInvalidUser
Aug 23, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bullfrog posted:

Mike's Mild Lemonade

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

ErrorInvalidUser posted:

poo poo bout to get real after all the family christmas parties

https://www.reddit.com/r/COVID19positive/

quote:

A month since our booster shot, my husband and I chose to host a small Christmas party, the first gathering we've had in two years due to the pandemic, this past Sunday with a few close family and friends who were all fully vaxxed + booster. Only 8 people. A couple days later we all started feeling poor. 7 of the 8 have tested positive already and Christmas plans ruined for each one. Family that flew in town is stuck in hotels trying to get flights back before Christmas. My newly divorced parents are going to be stuck at home alone instead of having the two separate special Christmases I had worked so hard to plan this past month. gently caress covid. I'm so angry at the world right now and I'm devastated.

https://www.reddit.com/r/COVID19positive/comments/rn2dt4/it_happened_to_us_christmas_ruined_due_to_the_rona/

ErrorInvalidUser
Aug 23, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

smoobles posted:

i have some good news for you

:unsmith:

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Oh boy this one really got away from us didn't it

ErrorInvalidUser
Aug 23, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Goobish posted:

no matter how brain damaged I become,

fukkin covid

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

https://twitter.com/bnodesk/status/1474216967376621586?s=21

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
around 2018 or 2019, I forgot when, main thing you need to keep in mind was that Biden was behind but coming back in the polls

I went to a friend’s standup, part of a showcase of several standups

my friend comes out and does a few jokes, they get laughs I forgot what they were

then he pauses and thinks of what bit to do next

“hey!” he says with forced enthusiasm, eyebrows raised and hands open

“Joe Biden!”

Roaring laughter

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

cock-mad fauci

PDP-1
Oct 12, 2004

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood.

maybe smarter people can chime in, but my rough understanding is that people start getting sick about one week after new cases are detected, hospitalizations go up after two weeks, deaths go up after three weeks

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

yeah the thing that is more frustrating than responsibility being pushed entirely onto individuals and telling everyone to just come up with their own risk tolerance scale based on their personal preferences and the relative health of them and the people around them is that the information that you really need to make that sort of determination is completely and intentionally obscured. so not only do you have to make an impossible judgement call, everyone is feeding you lies and disinformation so you’ll assuredly make the wrong call no matter what. it’s shocking that this wasn’t effective as a public health policy.

Barry Soteriology
Mar 1, 2020

i somehow read our as your, so the title reads to me like dude was accusing me of being complicit in Helen's plans to suck her way through the community.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

cock madness is a vaccine side effect