Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme
At least we have the books.

Dialogue was still bad, and has been every episode. I understand that this isn't a faithful, in any way, adaptation of the books, but still, it hurts with such bad lines. Especially huffy Perrin, who apparently can't even explain to someone who asked him that he saw a dead peddler alive.

Rand is supposed to be in the bloody sky above the battle blasting evil for everyone to see, and instead they have a lame burn out scene with the girls. Why show linking directed by someone who isn't even an Aes Sedai, and wouldn't know how to link? How is that believable in any way? It makes no sense other than looking cool.

Also, the lack of proper collars is terrible as well. It's supposed to show their limitations and how they are like beasts of burden with a leash.

If they don't do the Seanchan Ishamael/Rand battle right then I have no hope for the show to be anything like the books. It may do well for non-book readers but it isn't something I'll be hyped to watch or re-watch for that matter.

Only thing keeping me going at this point is the idea that this is some other turn of the wheel and not the one presented in the books, so the changes are "OK".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I feel the show needed to do a baseline effort of showing how the stakes are raised and why at the end of the first season

edit I've also turned on perrin, he's not good

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

exmarx posted:

also, a nitpick: the weaving looks like rear end. outside of the shields, it's just a bunch of light tentacles floating around. i want multilayered spirograph-looking bullshit.

The channelers in the current era are as children compared to those in the AOL and everything they do is simpler. For example, the very best Healing weaves used by the Yellow Ajah were originally just for battlefield triage. When the Forsaken show up and start channeling then we can expect to see what you want, but for now you're watching kids paint and complaining that it's not the Mona Lisa.

Hamelekim posted:

Why show linking directed by someone who isn't even an Aes Sedai, and wouldn't know how to link? How is that believable in any way? It makes no sense other than looking cool.

We don't know exactly when Amalisa flunked out, do we? She could have failed (or refused to take) her final test for the shawl. Then she'd know everything that a full sister would.

Jedit fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Dec 24, 2021

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Jedit posted:

We don't know exactly when Amalisa flunked out, do we? She could have failed (or refused to take) her final test for the shawl. Then she'd know everything that a full sister would.

they never explained the other two randos, i assumed they were women who flunked the tower or never went

edit also did nyn and eg kill them via overwhelming the lead?

Hellbore
Jan 25, 2012

i say swears online posted:

Pretty sure that was all Amalisa pulling too much through the link

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I figured Amalisa just wasn't strong enough to qualify as an Aes Sedai, but was strong enough to be taught to link.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i say swears online posted:

they never explained the other two randos, i assumed they were women who flunked the tower or never went

no it was amalisa drawing way too much in an effort to go out in a big explosion to kill the trollocs, they had a convo about that earlier where the siblings were prepared to just give their lives entirely to stop that attack or try to. she just didn't tell the people who showed up that she would maybe do that. egwene and nynaeve are stronger than the rest of them so they held on a bit better, although nynaeve took on the burden to save egwene.

also i relatively enjoyed the season and mainly want to see what they do in season 2. what i'm not looking forward to is some people furiously masturbating endlessly about how much they hated it and going out of their way to not even remotely try to view it like a first time show-only viewer would, because independent of my actual opinions that poo poo is tiring as hell and i'm using my pattern-reading powers to predict that's exactly what's going to poo poo in the pool for the next however many months until season 2 happens.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Johnny Joestar posted:

also i relatively enjoyed the season and mainly want to see what they do in season 2. what i'm not looking forward to is some people furiously masturbating endlessly about how much they hated it and going out of their way to not even remotely try to view it like a first time show-only viewer would, because independent of my actual opinions that poo poo is tiring as hell and i'm using my pattern-reading powers to predict that's exactly what's going to poo poo in the pool for the next however many months until season 2 happens.

Yeah I'm just gonna unbookmark this thread till season 2. People keep coming here with very specific expectations often based on incorrect memories of the books and then keep getting mad when they don't get met and eh, that ain't worth my energy

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Johnny Joestar posted:

no it was amalisa drawing way too much in an effort to go out in a big explosion to kill the trollocs, they had a convo about that earlier where the siblings were prepared to just give their lives entirely to stop that attack or try to. she just didn't tell the people who showed up that she would maybe do that.

good explanation, thanks

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
"Why didn't Rand and Ishy fight in the sky just like they did in Eye of the World in chapter, er..."

Dingleberry2
Jul 23, 2001

I was fine with the cold open. Hopefully for Season 2 they go full on Aqua Teen Hunger Force and every cold open is LTT getting ready to attack the Dark One. The reveal that the city LTT is in matches the ruins from the opening scene of the series was kinda cool.

Lan knows Moraine is going to the Eye. There is no references to the Eye moving, so why does Lan need Nynaeve to help him track Moraine?

Fain is set up to be chased be Perrin and Loial next year to get the Horn and the dagger. They can easily keep the plot point of Matt needing the dagger to get fully healed and also using his connection with it to track Fain. Hopefully Fain gets way more screen time next year.

Also, if it's the Perrin and Loial show they can accelerate introducing Faile, unless they want to just ship Perrin/Loial.

Moraine is clearly just shielded. The Forsaken do those complicated tie offs. Lanfear says they can be broken, but you have to be willing to accept pain.

Ishy clearly smiles when Rand channels at him, probably Rand breaking a seal instead of strengthening it.

I think Amalisa wasn't strong enough to become a full sister, so her going nuts with the amount of power she was pulling wasn't out of character. Thought it was a little melodramatic to almost kill Nynaeve, and weird that just a little accidental weave was enough to heal her up.

I did like Rand's temptation scene, and that he was able to get a lesson in how to channel from Ishy. I also liked the nod to Egwene's Accepted test, but I hope that doesn't mean the Rings get eliminated, they're such a great device to show character motivations. Also, how loving long did it take them to carve that paragraph into the tree? Should have just said "Our Place".

Also, Rand didn't fight in the sky at the Gap. Everyone just saw a man call down lightening, etc. Only sky battle was at Falme. Seanchan intro was good enough. Established they could use the Power as a weapon.

Overall the first season was about as good as I was expecting, which is to say average for the most part. There were some great scenes, and I wasn't outraged at any specific changes, but I do hope the dialog can kick it up a notch.

Dingleberry2 fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Dec 24, 2021

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

What do we think of the Seanchan designs?

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
I'm kinda intrigued by the open existence of women who can channel that are not Aes Sedai. That's a pretty big political change compared to the books. Like, there wasn't a "we need everyone who can channel!" moment for Tarwin's Gap in EotW because it's an unthinkable ask - channeling means Aes Sedai period full stop. I suppose it's probably an irrelevant detail for the purposes of the story, but a world where the White Tower does not have a(n apparent) iron grip on channeling is a pretty different place.

Dingleberry2
Jul 23, 2001

Turin Turambar posted:

I think they look a little 300, but that's kind of how they are in the books as well. It at least seems to convey a major contrast to any of the armor we've seen so far. Makes me think they'll go all in with the shaved heads and super long fingernails the High Lords have.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

bio347 posted:

I'm kinda intrigued by the open existence of women who can channel that are not Aes Sedai. That's a pretty big political change compared to the books. Like, there wasn't a "we need everyone who can channel!" moment for Tarwin's Gap in EotW because it's an unthinkable ask - channeling means Aes Sedai period full stop. I suppose it's probably an irrelevant detail for the purposes of the story, but a world where the White Tower does not have a(n apparent) iron grip on channeling is a pretty different place.

it's no different from the books, those are women who were too weak to gain the shawl. amalisa got to the rank of accepted but couldn't get further, and anyone weaker than that is just ignored because they can barely do poo poo

RandomReader
Nov 17, 2021

Turin Turambar posted:

Very b-movie attack of the killer alien vibes, zero insect vibes, the spikes look like dildos, and the pacifiers are a terrible alternative to collars and leashes.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
In the interest of balance these are the things I was disappointed by this season:

- The first episode was extremely rushed and even another 30 minutes to let the characters settle in and give full weight to their departure would have made a huge difference
- Mat not going to Fal Dara sucked and Perrin was clearly jammed into all those moments with Fain as a replacement which was awkward as hell. Obviously this wasn't what they wanted but it still made me sad
- I'm not fully sold on Madeline Madden's acting yet
- Loial's prosthetics are fine but the wig is ridiculous. Please dial it down a bit for season 2. Also I don't like how much his costume hides his shape, the long floaty coat means you can't see his figure (this may be intentional due to budget I guess)
- Two episodes of Thom was not enough
- Three episodes of Aram was also not enough
- The possibility that Elaida's going to be rolled into Liandrin
- Tarwin's Gap had some great camera shots but also some camera shots which looked cheap as hell, mostly the ones of Agelmar and the guards staring at nothing

Show good imo

CuriousSymptoms
Jul 18, 2004

Those Goddamn Rainbows Are At It Again

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Ok, quote this post by midnight Christmas EST if you want this gangtag added to your profile:

Few rules:

if you already have three gangtags you'll have to ask me to wipe one of them to replace it with this one
the gangtag will link back to this thread
Some people have grandfathered code in their profiles, no guarantees if you're one of those but I'll try to avoid loving it up

Hell yes please

I am so excited to catch up on the last episode. Gonna watch it post Christmas Eve dinner :3

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
I'm largely fine with the finale. Perrin feels a bit useless.

I'm more just a little confused about why so many changes are being made. If you're doing Great Hunt anyway, which I assumed was going to be skipped over before episode 8, then I don't really understand the point of changing the fight with Ishy at the Eye, or removing the Horn from the Eye, or claiming that the Eye is Shayol Ghul.

Also Tarwin's Gap and Lord Agelmar just immediately falling because it has low windows was a bit weird as well.

Also you're cashing out on Egwene's test for Accepted and Rand's journey through alternate lives with the confrontation at the Eye.

I'm obviously watching next season and probably going in with the same level of excitement I had for this one. They didn't gently caress up royally for this first season, so as things stand I'm happy enough.

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

Ok, quote this post by midnight Christmas EST if you want this gangtag added to your profile:

Few rules:

if you already have three gangtags you'll have to ask me to wipe one of them to replace it with this one
Some people have grandfathered code in their profiles, no guarantees if you're one of those but I'll try to avoid loving it up

please and thank you

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I imagine Perrin's role in the finale would have been very different if he hadn't been needed to stand in for Mat with Fain

I don't get how people were ever expecting Rand's portal lives to make it in. It's easily the wackiest part of the entire story

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Rarity posted:

I imagine Perrin's role in the finale would have been very different if he hadn't been needed to stand in for Mat with Fain

I don't get how people were ever expecting Rand's portal lives to make it in. It's easily the wackiest part of the entire story

I felt like it would make good television.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Natural 20 posted:

I'm obviously watching next season and probably going in with the same level of excitement I had for this one.

i wanted to be more excited for next season than this one since my expectations were low to begin with but i guess same

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

buffalo all day posted:

he stole it from the white tower in the books, I assume he did that offscreen here (genuinely don’t remember what happened to it once moiraine got it from mat)
Woah he stole it from the White Tower? From my (evidently bad) memory I thought he stole it when he escaped from Fal Dara lol. There are those cool scenes with him at the beginning of book 2 and then he leaves, coating his entire former cell in blood and entrails and leaving a message for Rand.
Edit: nope, wiki says the dagger was stolen from Fal Dara along with the horn.
I'm betting that the show was going to have scenes of him stealing it from Matt at Fal Dara but they had to cut those? Which would explain why the episode is significantly shorter than the three preceding it. But then why cut them at all if you're going to have Matt turn up at the end anyway? Unless Harris quit part way through filming (I thought they had completed filming with him but were just removing him to try to smooth the transition to the new actor).

Nitrousoxide posted:

Rand’s temptation by Satan was EXTREMLY reminiscent of the three arches and I bet that is getting dropped.
Yeah, or the portal stone. I hope they're not stupid enough to cut these key (and awesome) scenes, but then again if they've already shown something similar it does rob it of some of its impact.
I'll be interested to see if they actually explain where was he was during those make-believe scenes at the Eye. TAR, or something else? My bet is that they don't explain it at all.

Synastren posted:

those bizarre cords, and Moiraine's stepping-over-a-wall illusion.
Am I misremembering the black cords come back in the next one or two Ishy confrontations at the ends of books 2 and/or 3?
I always figured they were his link to the Dark One or whatever, but I don't think it was ever explained properly. Maybe his connection to the True Power (if Ishy has that?)

El Grillo fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Dec 24, 2021

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

I watched Sanderson's commentary on this episode and he said Moiraine is stilled. Hatch said: I thought it looked like she was shielded? And he said: no, she's stilled.

Which doesn't really matter I suppose since all she needs to do now is give advice and tackle Lanfear.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
But they did the animation for shielding, with the net thing. Not the stilling one where the power is kind of ripped out

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
The way TGH goes 'hey we have parallel dimensions now' before dumping the idea never to mention it again is one of the most awkward parts of the entire series. Specifically the Rand's portal lives is a decent chunk of time and budget for a sequence with zero plot relevance and a pretty minimal character impact considering the group's response to the experience is to go 'well that was weird' and then never think about it after

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

El Grillo posted:

But they did the animation for shielding, with the net thing. Not the stilling one where the power is kind of ripped out

:shrug:

As for other jankiness, words were used such as: Covid, Barney and crisis mode.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Actually the sequence is both brilliantly written, and very important for Rand's character and for the series as a whole and the very concept of the Wheel

"He was a soldier. He was a shepherd. He was a beggar, and a king. He was a farmer, gleeman, sailor, carpenter. He was born, lived, and died Aiel. He died mad, he died rotting, he died of sickness, accident, age. He was executed, and multitudes cheered his death. He proclaimed himself the Dragon Reborn and flung his banner across the sky; he ran from the Power and hid; he lived and died never knowing. He held off the madness and the sickness for years; he succumbed between two winters. Sometimes Moiraine came and took him away from the Two Rivers, alone or with those of his friends who had survived Winternight; sometimes she did not. Sometimes other Aes Sedai came for him. Sometimes Red Ajah. Egwene married him; Egwene, stern-faced in stole of Amyrlin Seat, led Aes Sedai who gentled him; Egwene, with tears in her eyes, plunged a dagger into his heart, and he thanked her as he died. He loved other women, married other women. Elayne, and Min, and a fair-haired farmer's daughter met on the road to Caemlyn, and women he had never seen before he lived those lives. A hundred lives. More. So many he could not count them. And at the end of every life, as he lay dying, as he drew his final breath, a voice whispered in his ear. I have won again, Lews Therin."

Flicker.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Few rules:

I'll take one. Yay, another Book Barn tag...but less shameful!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
How does that have any impact on Rand's character?

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Things I liked:

The Age of Legends and LTT. That mofo was so confident he was gonna go save the world. I even liked the whole thing being in the Old Tongue, made it feel like a completely different world.

Ishamael and Rand's flicker life. He definitely smiled when he was "defeated" and then it cuts to the seal being all broken up.

The depiction of being burned out is gruesome and really well done.

Padan Fain is still a rat bastard.

Didn't like: Nynaeve's death and resurrection or whatever that was. Unnecessary.

Battle for the Gap felt kinda underwhelming but I guess it was a diversion anyways.

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Rarity posted:

It ties into Jordan's themes of destiny and fate, of Rand being prophesied to save the world whether Rand likes it or not. Same reason why he's obsessed with reaching Callandor in Book 3.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
this show was buckwild. There were plenty of things I didn't like as a book reader, but overall I am fully onboard and my show watcher father is really invested so far. Can't wait to see his reaction to the finale this weekend.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Hexel posted:

Things I liked:

The Age of Legends and LTT. That mofo was so confident he was gonna go save the world. I even liked the whole thing being in the Old Tongue, made it feel like a completely different world.

Lews Therin did nothing wrong, and I'm concerned the show doesn't realize this :colbert:

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

SerSpook posted:

Lews Therin did nothing wrong, and I'm concerned the show doesn't realize this :colbert:

It would have been nice to see why the stakes were so high as to need the DO resealed, it looked too peaceful. And for Latra to state her plan of just walling the blight off (which was a bad idea too, but I agree re-sealing the bore was risky).

bio347
Oct 29, 2012

Johnny Joestar posted:

it's no different from the books, those are women who were too weak to gain the shawl. amalisa got to the rank of accepted but couldn't get further, and anyone weaker than that is just ignored because they can barely do poo poo
I suppose the books don't ever really treat it, since the first Tower dropouts we actually see are the Kin. Maybe I'm just another of those who are remembering incorrectly, but my brain tells me that the Tower was pretty serious about the suppression of these non-Aes Sedai channelers. To the point that a) it wouldn't be really known they exist by normies and b) the dropouts themselves would be incredibly circumspect. In the context of a Borderland Last Stand I guess that might not matter, though.

Hexel posted:

I watched Sanderson's commentary on this episode and he said Moiraine is stilled. Hatch said: I thought it looked like she was shielded? And he said: no, she's stilled.

Which doesn't really matter I suppose since all she needs to do now is give advice and tackle Lanfear.
So long as you're more or less skipping the events of The Dragon Reborn. Can't balefire darkhounds and Forsaken if you can't channel, after all.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

bio347 posted:

So long as you're more or less skipping the events of The Dragon Reborn. Can't balefire darkhounds and Forsaken if you can't channel, after all.

Be'lal seems to be cut and you can easily workaround an alternative way of escaping the darkhounds

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Rarity posted:

His plot arc for TGH is going from denial to grudging acceptance of his identity as the Dragon Reborn and channeling deliberately for the first time.
I've quoted an extract from the portal stone sequence in the post you were replying to.
I'll leave you to work out the rest? It's not too difficult

One additional aspect of the sequence however is that as well as its direct effect in terms of his TGH arc, it's also part of setting his character up for 'crazy Rand' stuff in his solo journey during TDR (because he's literally seeing, in a million different versions of his life, the absurdly impossible odds that he cannot overcome, the horrible things he could do when he goes mad, etc. etc.) and his downward spiral after that (Darth Rand).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Rarity posted:

Be'lal seems to be cut and you can easily workaround an alternative way of escaping the darkhounds

Later on in the Brandon's commentary now they're saying: shielded or stilled? It could go either way.

Earlier he gave a real certainty vibe like he knows what this is and where they're going with it, later he admits he doesn't know. :shrug: