Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

DarkHorse posted:

I think I've figured out what annoys me about Perrin's appearance, and it's that he has a slack jawed open-mouthed slouch most of the time

I hope we get him working out complicated problems with solutions that seem effortless and simple, like his analogy with blacksmith puzzles. Also his crazy strength- i though they were going to show him and Loial moving those stones that Uno and the other guy were struggling with relative ease.

Right now he really just seems simple and thick. :(

he continually looks like a stone age man who spent the day trying to debug his first c++ memory leak

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Yes, I'm aware, but that doesn't make it less dumb. Queen Ellisande could only do that because she was one of the most powerful Aes Sedai who ever lived, the last of the proper Witch Queens of an elder age,. not someone established one episode before as being too weak to make full Aes Sedai.

if every Else Grinwell could nuke a trolloc army at the cost of their own lives, WoT would be a short loving series.

nynaeve is more powerful than anyone in a thousand years, egwene is more powerful than nearly anyone alive that isn't nynaeve, and there are some other schmucks there too, and amalisa kills 3 people including herself

to end like 5000 trollocs

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Hexel posted:

I also just noticed ishi taught Rand the Oneness. Void with no flame. Hopefully the flame and the void gets developed later. Presumably he already knows of it from Tam.

I thought we saw him entering the void in episode 7 at the archery target?

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

DarkHorse posted:

I think I've figured out what annoys me about Perrin's appearance, and it's that he has a slack jawed open-mouthed slouch most of the time

Very much agree. He's a big time mouth breather who just stands there with a blank stare for most of his scenes. And when he does speak, he has this weird thing with ducking down to emphasize his words without looking at the person he's speaking to.

Combined with how poorly the character is written for the show, he's definitely the weakest cast member by far.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Reik posted:

I thought we saw him entering the void in episode 7 at the archery target?

It's possible. This was specifically as a means of channeling the one power though. Rand has only accidentally channeled up until that point.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
There were just some really bizarre choices made for the finale.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

seaborgium posted:

The whole Shienar bit just didn't seem to work for me. Short of the Aiel the Borderlanders are supposed to be some of the best Shadow fighters in the world and they acted like this was the largest army of Trollocs ever. It's supposed to be an overwhelming force at the end, but the massively important Borderlander city has only a few hundred guys with crossbows, no pikes, and a badly designed fort as the only thing stopping anything from leaving the Blight? Hell, they describe just a basic watchtower in one of the books and its better designed and manned than the final fort before Fal Dara.

I'm not liking the way they're handling Perrin either. There's a difference between not wanting to be violent and being totally unwilling even to save someone's life. Perrin never felt bad about killing Trollocs, they're literal monsters that you can only hope kill you before they eat you. It just doesn't seem like it's working as believable, but maybe that's just me.

I agree on both counts. My show-only husband was sitting next to me and just asked, 'ok, they have that wall, then that huge stretch of open land and then the city. Why the gently caress are there no trebuchets or catapaults or ANYTHING in there? Just some cavalry (and not even that it turns out lol) and like three channelers?' Like I know the borderlanders are supposed to be badasses, but even I had to agree with that. It was just weird how seemingly unprepared they were for any sort of significant force.

And I feel so bad for Perrin. I've told my husband that Perrin is the character that most resembles him and that Perrin's one of my favs and they just aren't doing much with him. I get that most of Perrin's stuff in the first few books is internal, but man he's just been sitting there with his mouth open more often than not. I really hope they start to expand on him next season because I really want him to be better! And yea, I was yelling at the screen for Perrin to at least take a swing at Fain. Like I get it, he's having the whole way of the leaf/Perrin SMASH conflict (again, internally) but the dude just shanked Uno, Maseema and Loial, and then stole the freaking horn. At least chase after him my dude!

Overall, I liked the episode, but it was a solid 6 from me. It wasn't bad and I did like Ishmael (though I just love him in general), but there were some missteps. I saw someone upthread mention that they had to figure out how to replace Mat for a handful of scenes and that's why it felt a little janky, and I really think that was the case. Hopefully the past few Mat-less episodes were the nadir and it's only up from here? I'm still going to give season 2 a solid shot though, the first half of season on was really good.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

DarkHorse posted:

I've been wondering lately why everyone loves Domon so much, after all he's just a secondary character everyone just randomly happens upon throughout the tale, and this is what I came up with

• He's a (mostly) honest trader just trying to get by in the world that's suddenly all going to poo poo
  • He doesn't want anything more than to just keep sailing up and down rivers and shorelines trading
  • He's honest and honorable almost to a fault, risking himself his ship and crew on several occasions to stick to his word, but doesn't really think of himself that way or as a hero or anyone important
  • As such is profoundly unlucky because he crosses paths with the protagonists ta'veren on multiple occasions likely due to their need and is constantly exasperated by the disasters they heap upon him, but he still eventually helps even as he's complaining the entire time
  • He has a unique and strong identifying characteristic way of speaking that makes what he says fun and silly to read Evan as everything is going to shot for him

Basically he's the "I'm too old for this poo poo" character

I like him because he's just a regular dude who continues to give perspective to what is going on by continuing to have POV chapters even as the main crew either go mad or become world leaders (or both).

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

eke out posted:

nynaeve is more powerful than anyone in a thousand years, egwene is more powerful than nearly anyone alive that isn't nynaeve, and there are some other schmucks there too, and amalisa kills 3 people including herself

to end like 5000 trollocs
5000 trollocs is apparently an unstoppable army that can break through the wall at Tarwin's Gap and overrun the fortress city of Fal Dara, and then all the other cities of the world, which is another problem.

There's no coherency to the writing.

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Ok, quote this post by midnight Christmas EST if you want this gangtag added to your profile:

Few rules:

if you already have three gangtags you'll have to ask me to wipe one of them to replace it with this one
the gangtag will link back to this thread
Some people have grandfathered code in their profiles, no guarantees if you're one of those but I'll try to avoid loving it up

Do me please. :)

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

As far as Tarwin's Gap goes the natural rock formation is a tremendous defensive advantage. A small group of men could hold that fortification against a much larger force.

You'd be foolish to abandon that and try to defend a much larger city with many more gates and entry points and full of civilians to boot. It's Battle of Thermopylae 101. Having a cleared killzone out front is good defensive tactics as well.

They were overwhelmed anyways but they did make rational choices. The one nitpick I have about that scene would be to save a cavalry charge for the killzone but I'm guessing they didn't have enough men?

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Yes, I'm aware, but that doesn't make it less dumb. Queen Ellisande could only do that because she was one of the most powerful Aes Sedai who ever lived, the last of the proper Witch Queens of an elder age,. not someone established one episode before as being too weak to make full Aes Sedai.

if every Else Grinwell could nuke a trolloc army at the cost of their own lives, WoT would be a short loving series.

The only reason she could was being connected to the two most powerful channellers for a thousand years. Without Nynaeve and Egwene she could barely light a candle.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

CainFortea posted:

She wasn't stilled. They showed what gentling looks like with Logain and you don't see that at all in this episode.

Pulling this over from the show thread because... I don't know, I guess because it's nerd poo poo.

So, here is how we're shown shielding in episode 4, with Logain:

It's like a cobwebby sort of net thing that closes on the person and sinks into their skin.

And here's his gentling:

Weaves stab him in the chest and then are ripped out of him, drawing out these wings of... something.

With Moiraine, we first get what is very clearly the shielding weave:

and after that, this, which is odd:

Ishy stabs her in the chest with something that definitely looks a lot like the gentling weave, but is considerably less dramatic and ends with the weaves being sucked into her and nothing spewing out. He then finishes by doing... something with his hands, that could well be intended to signify tying off a weave:

So I am leaning to "tied-off shield", but I think the visual language of the scene is confused (intentionally?) because that's definitely not just a shield weave.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

https://youtu.be/vhe3vSe-mmw

That was a lot of nonsense.

I’m guessing season 2 will combine books 2 and 3? And finish in Tear? With Rand getting the fancy Sword with the name I forget and the blowing of the Horn? Which is why Rand went off on his own, like he did in book 3?

That way Rand would get to be an actual character for his journey to Tear, which would a nice change of pace from book 3, and let him meet Elayne on the way. Probably Lanfear, too, minus Mat, but that doesn’t really matter.

But drat, if they keep killing people and bringing them back, death is gonna stop feeling like it matters.

And no Aginor or Balthamel. Why don’t you want me to have my Forsaken, show? I finally got Ishamael in this episode (and he was great), but I missed him all season, and the other two were my favorite part of the finale of the book. They’re immortal fallen sorcerers who work for the literal Devil, dammit. Use them.

I also don’t get why Lews Therin was called the Dragon Reborn in the flashback, but that’s minor.

I loved the first season overall. But that finale was a bit of a mess.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Ok, quote this post by midnight Christmas EST if you want this gangtag added to your profile:

Few rules:

if you already have three gangtags you'll have to ask me to wipe one of them to replace it with this one
the gangtag will link back to this thread
Some people have grandfathered code in their profiles, no guarantees if you're one of those but I'll try to avoid loving it up

Yes please! First gangtag I’ve actually wanted.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

the people mad about army sizes and exactly how many people one person that's level 68 and has x y and z feats can kill need to learn to turn off that part of their brain and have fun when cool stuff happens

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

eke out posted:

the people mad about army sizes and exactly how many people one person that's level 68 and has x y and z feats can kill need to learn to turn off that part of their brain and have fun when cool stuff happens

I agree about this. Wiping out the Trollocs looked cool as hell.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
Nitpick incoming:

The eyes of the entire Corenne would be forever lowered if their first action in the West lands was the unjustified(unlawful) murder of an innocent.

Really bizarre to introduce the Lawful-Evil faction by having them commit an unlawful murder.

Edit: It was also extremely dumb that Amalisa chose to let all of the men of Fal-Dara die before channeling all the trollocs away.

th3t00t fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Dec 24, 2021

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

5000 trollocs is apparently an unstoppable army that can break through the wall at Tarwin's Gap and overrun the fortress city of Fal Dara, and then all the other cities of the world, which is another problem.

There's no coherency to the writing.

Yeah, there's a lot less people and organized armies in this age but the Blood Snow had way more people than that from any one country. It's certainly an army worth calling for help on, but it's not the end of the world like they're talking about. It almost felt like they were trying to have power creep be a central thing.

I can see that's it's probably a budget thing but it's going to be hard to show danger from an army of 5000 Trollocs when the population of a big city alone might be half a million people. Even half trained armies could handle that many if you gave them some pikes and channelers to help out.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

th3t00t posted:

Nitpick incoming:

The eyes of the entire Corenne would be forever lowered if their first action in the West lands was the unjustified(unlawful) murder of an innocent.

Really bizarre to introduce the Lawful-Evil faction by having them commit an unlawful murder.

Edit: It was also extremely dumb that Amalisa chose to let all of the men of Fal-Dara die before channeling all the trollocs away.

I don't think she understood how much power she'd soon be wielding.

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

I bet it is tied off shield. Because there is no way they remove the box so I bet they let Rand see the shield and the knot but then say he doesn't know how to untie it. Then you have Moraine find a way to break the knot and now we understand this for how Rand breaks out.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

th3t00t posted:

Nitpick incoming:

She's an oathbreaker.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
I think I've given up any expectation of a depiction of fantasy battles having any kind of coherent tactics or geography or outcome that makes sense.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

I don't think she understood how much power she'd soon be wielding.

You have to question what her plan was supposed to be, then. Be a wet stain in the middle of a field? After she just got done complaining complaining to her brother about a general's place being behind the walls of Fal Dara.

The last couple of episodes are full of characters not acting with any kind of sense of internal lives, which is bad because the season didn't start that way.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

e: ^^^^^^ lmao

i thought that the borderlanders made plenty of sense: the Last Battle is here and dulce et decorum est pro patria mori

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
Amalisa couldn't do poo poo when the Gap fortress wall was between her and the trolloc army and she was meant to stay at the city. that begs the question though, why the hell would you stand just outside your city instead on top of your walls. what happened to all those emptied armouries and mounted crossbows?

just accept all fantasy battles won't make sense and try to enjoy the fireworks or you'll go nuts

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

crepeface posted:

Amalisa couldn't do poo poo when the Gap fortress wall was between her and the trolloc army and she was meant to stay at the city. that begs the question though, why the hell would you stand just outside your city instead on top of your walls. what happened to all those emptied armouries and mounted crossbows?

just accept all fantasy battles won't make sense and try to enjoy the fireworks or you'll go nuts

I don't think she was prepared for the amount of power she was getting with Egwene and Nyneave, so she was out in front because she wasn't going to have the juice to reach out further. Also since all of her experience with the one power is having barely enough to light torches.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
if the trollocs break into the city, she'll have plenty of opportunity. if they don't get close enough, then her lovely channeling isn't needed.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

crepeface posted:

if the trollocs break into the city, she'll have plenty of opportunity. if they don't get close enough, then her lovely channeling isn't needed.

If you have better range than your opponent, and are by yourself, street to street fighting is not recommended.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

CainFortea posted:

She's an oathbreaker.

Yeah, until they reaffirm their oaths everyone in the eastern continent is an oath breaker and fair game.

Bragon
Apr 7, 2010

Given the uh, choices, made with the Seanchan design, I'm wondering if we're going to see Shara totally scrapped and rolled into that culture. At least in my mind, the damane design makes more sense if they're to be more like the Ayyad, who ritualistically tattoo (and paint?) and don't need a'dam to be tools of the state.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
This is perfect. LMAO

Re: Amalisa chat, it was very much channeling GoT season 8 "The Long Night" vibes where it was just so mind numbingly dumb that they put the siege weaponry on the outside of their defenses and then the cavalry charge into darkness, that it bothered pretty much everyone who watched it, even people who normally don't care at all about "tactical realism".

Come to think of it, episode 7 also channeled "A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms" super hard, where on the eve of the "final battle", they finally have the characters talk to each other.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I honestly couldn't see poo poo with the trolloc attack it was so dark. The more I think about it the more I overall didn't really like the finale.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Another Judkins on the finale, different questions

https://nerdist.com/article/the-wheel-of-time-season-1-finale-showrunner-interview-rafe-judkins/

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

This bit about the Eye is interesting

Q:The end of the book The Eye of the World is famously confusing and messy. Can you talk about bringing that to the screen and making the change for only Rand and Moiraine to go to the Eye?

A: One of the first things I did when I started was talk to Harriet, Robert Jordan’s widow, and Brandon [Sanderson] about : what are the things Robert Jordan would’ve changed about the books with “hindsight’s 20/20?” They both talked about the introduction of Mat and Perrin, and how to have those characters be crystallized earlier in the show than they were in the books.

And then another thing they talked about was the end of the first book. I felt when I read it too, [that it] didn’t necessarily deliver exactly what he was hoping for. There were a couple things in it that he specifically said he was unhappy with. I worked with Brandon to find a way—hopefully you won’t understand it until season two—but hopefully one thing from the books that Robert Jordan hated, we have given an idea too, in the show. I can’t say more than that, but that would make it actually make sense.

But I wanted to take it, and take the core of what happens in there. And instead of letting Rand sort of do everything, which he does in the books—he fights Ba’alzamon, he then teleports to Tarwin’s Gap and levels an army of Trollocs, and then he gets the Horn of Valere. A lot happens for Rand there in the finale, but we wanted to try to take it and piece it out for our ensemble.

Give Perrin the Horn of Valere. The girls can be at Tarwin’s Gap, and also set their stories on a path for where they’re going in season two. Because season two is so much about these individual characters and the journey each of them is on alone. We needed more in the finale to be able to do that. That was the biggest swing, I think, we took with the adaptation, was to really take that story and be like: what pieces of what exists in the book will make the most sense for each of these characters so that we can tell the story that’s there. But we’re telling it through our whole cast instead of just through Rand.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

Nitrousoxide posted:

Yeah, until they reaffirm their oaths everyone in the eastern continent is an oath breaker and fair game.
She wouldn't be considered an oath breaker until they ask her if she remembers her oath and then they'd still give her the chance to re-swear her oaths, and then if she decided not to she'd be made da'covale, not killed.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

They probably don't even notice the little girl. That tidal wave will affect the entire region.

Here's another interesting Q&A from Rafe:

Q: Do you anticipate telling more of Lews Therin’s story in season two?

A: Through the series, we will certainly see more of Lews Therin’s story. I think it’s a really important piece. I can’t say too much about season two, but that story is being told.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

Hexel posted:

They probably don't even notice the little girl. That tidal wave will affect the entire region.
No it won't. The wave will only affect the beach. The wave is not higher than the cliff overlooking the beach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I think I have My Take on the show so far at this point.

Overall it's a B/B+ from me, not an A, and I'm not sure it'll ever be an A for me personally, but for me-personal reasons, not "show bad" reasons.

There's a lot of modern television that I just don't watch because I find it too stressful. Walking Dead is a big example but a lot of other modern shows too, everything is so cranked up to ELEVEN all the time that I just don't enjoy it any more and feel manipulated.

And in this they've really cranked things up to eleven all the time. The pacing is blistering, the action is dramatic and explosive, characters are constantly on the brink of death or over it, everything's happening all at once all the time.

And I get why they need to do that for television because that's the television market these days and they're doing what they need to do to make the show a hit, so, ok, fair.

But the books are just far less stressful overall. They're PG 13 not R. There's tension and drama but there's a lot more joy and a lot more time to take deep breaths and more comic relief; they take you on a rollercoaster but it isn't one of these modern ones with the giant drops and the high velocity turns and that's what the show is doing.

So, like, it's good. But I like the books more still. Go figure.