Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

dorium posted:

It's been at least 5 years since I've stepped foot in a WalMart. Maybe this year since I am going to my parents for christmas.

You really don't have to. I have to go in to grab office supplies for work, and swing by the electronics section to see if anything is good. It never is.

Although BrickSeek has been finding insane deals for videogames lately, it's never at a location near me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Franchescanado posted:

You really don't have to. I have to go in to grab office supplies for work, and swing by the electronics section to see if anything is good. It never is.

Although BrickSeek has been finding insane deals for videogames lately, it's never at a location near me.

My trips to Walmart are at about 7am on Saturdays, because they're the only place around me that stocks Dole Apples and Cream Parfait Cups.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Good. gently caress Katzenberg.

The movie really stood the test of time to become a legitimate Christmas classic. It’s also one of the first movies I ever saw in a theater so it was sort of like I got to watch it become a classic.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Franchescanado posted:

I'm always curious (and plus I dont have a car so I could stock up on housing goods with my parents car).

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Speed Racer is another 4k I desperately wish for

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Franchescanado posted:

I genuinely don't know how people in this thread get to buy movies from Walmart and Best Buy. None of my local WM or BB carry anything worthwhile outside of overpriced new releases, and never any boutique stuff.

The dead Alive one was from like the early 2000’s, but at one point a couple years ago they had some shout factory stuff like big trouble in little China, and candyman.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Iron Crowned posted:

Weirdly a year or so ago Walmart had a big stack of non-VS versions of The Rudy Ray Moore films. Seemed to have the same special features too :wtc:

I found the same thing at my local Walmart years ago, like a boxed set of all of Rudy Ray Moore's films. DVD though, not blu-ray. A Walmart in another town near me had a blu-ray of Paprika for like $9, which I didn't buy at the time and I wished that I had. Went ahead and bought it recently, finally.

Brick and mortar stores are weird and fickle beasts. Never know what you'll find.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

dorium posted:

Still got my Unrated DVD copy

That's still seven minutes shorter than the uncut version. :smug:

(The 97 minute version is Jackson's preferred cut.)

Ayin
Jan 6, 2010

Have a great day.

Iron Crowned posted:

Weirdly a year or so ago Walmart had a big stack of non-VS versions of The Rudy Ray Moore films. Seemed to have the same special features too :wtc:
I wouldn't be surprised if they're bootlegs; I once found some dogshit-quality Kimba the White Lion DVDs at one like 15 years ago
they were $1 each! :thunk:

vvv Huh, all right then!

Ayin fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Dec 23, 2021

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

They're not bootlegs. Xenon Pictures has had the rights to distribute the Rudy Ray Moore Films for many years. They partnered with VS for those remasters and part of the deal was separately selling their own new versions with those same transfers. The only downside is the more generic cover art compared to the VS releases but they are quite a bit cheaper.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

really want the 88 films Armour of God but I don't have a region free player...

and i will not buy a region free player!

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

KidDynamite posted:

Join the club. You’ll feel much better.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

KidDynamite posted:

Lol

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

If you've got a PS3 it's easy to get custom software installed on there that will let you play any region blu-ray. If you don't, buying a used one will be way cheaper then a region free player. Look up PS3Hen and Multiman

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

KidDynamite posted:

https://www.hongkongrescue.com/products/8-armour-of-god-hkr-definitive-edition-blu-ray?variant=36610037776540

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Is HKR's mobile site weird? I only see top selling listed, I can't find their full 1-10 list of movies.

Also bullet in the head is their next project which is awesome.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
I hope more of these movies get legitimate releases, but apparently, the rights situation to these things can be hosed and then political situation isn't getting better over there.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Cemetry Gator posted:

I hope more of these movies get legitimate releases, but apparently, the rights situation to these things can be hosed and then political situation isn't getting better over there.

Speaking of rights clusterfucks, Second Sight just annouced they're going to delay their Martin UHD/blu-ray because they want to try and include the recently discovered director's cut. It is unfortunately in the hands of Richard Rubenstein.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Boywhiz88 posted:

OK, Santa is gonna bring you one UHD in 2022 on your wishlist, what is it?

For me, I wanna see The Muppet Movie on UHD w Dolby Vision. I just think it’d be really stellar on the format.

Tati's Playtime. The restoration on the complete Tati box set from Criterion was done at 4K from the 65mm camera negative, so it would look pretty amazing.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Did anyone here actually get that second Columbia UHD set? What was the verdict on some of the stuff in the set? It's under $100 on Amazon right now and I have some unexpected cash so I'm tempted.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
It's a really good set. It has a good selection of films, the shorts disc is pretty cool, and what's the chances that you can get those films individually?

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
It's definitely not moving the way the first one did. But yeah, I only have interest in Taxi Driver so I'll wait until 2025 or 2030 or whenever for a drat solo release.

plz release LoA UHD standalone, Sony

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
The thing about that first set was I really only bought it for Lawrence, but the set was so consistently good that I ended up with several other UHDs that I'd consider top tier, like Gandhi and A League of Their Own. So that's what I'm considering with this set, I really only need Taxi Driver, but I'm guessing that when I see the others I'll be glad I took the plunge on the set.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
I'm mostly annoyed about the inclusion of The Social Network because it's an upscale. I get that it's an award winner and from Fincher, but it just can't compare to those older films that have been so lovingly restored and setup to look gorgeous in native 4K. Thought I'm sure teh HDR looks great and it still looks great for an upscale.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
The reviews on bluray.com definitely indicate that Social Network is the least impressive film in the set. All of the other ones have words like "stunner!" and "this is a revelation!" The review for Sense and Sensibility says "these greens may very well be the finest ever seen on a UHD disc"

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
I just found out about the Session 9 Limited Edition from Second Sight, but the discs are Region B only, which won't play in my Series X :saddumb:

Then again, the movie was shot on digital and the Shout Factory BD is probably looks just the same, so maybe I should buy one anyway just for that sweet rear end sleeve and the art cards. I loving love that movie

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Wait, that Columbia set has UHDs of Taxi Driver and The Social Network? :eyepop:

I really hope those get standalone releases

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The second Columbia Classics box was worth it to me for finally having Oliver! (the Twilight Time release went OOP almost immediately), plus Taxi Driver and the shorts. I paid about $100 for each box, which comes out to about $15 a movie, which isn't a bad value at all. The shorts disc would have easily been worth a $24 preorder.

One touch I like about the Columbia Classics UHDs is that they go out of their way to include both remixes and original mixes, which always bugs the hell out of me when it's overlooked. They also add missing features like trailers. The Social Network isn't just an upscale, but a new render since they fixed a few effects mistakes (mostly to do with titles), removed a PG-13 dub, and it's got an Atmos bump. Even the UHD disc art is designed to match the original Blu-rays.

I wouldn't mind seeing them do a UHD "John Ford at Columbia" box that sort of mirrors the UK Indicator box, but adds Two Rode Together. All five of Ford's Columbia films have 4K restorations now

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
It's not Columbia but I really need The Searchers on UHD. VistaVision!

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

:siren:

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Treated myself to some Takashi Miike films (the Dead Or Alive trilogy and the Black Society trilogy) from Arrow Video's sale and Body Melt from Vinegar Syndrome's sale :toot: Happy holidays, physical media thread

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

I would love to see Shaolin Soccer and Kung Fu Hustle get 4k releases but I'm not gonna get my hopes up

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

If the Scanner Cop movies can get UHDs, nothing is off the table for the format. I'm be day one preordering the UHD Vinegar Syndrome is going to announce for Axe 'em.

Homeybeef
May 23, 2008
4K wishlist?

Suspiria (2018)
Dark City
Aliens (this one's been announced, right?)
The Ballad of Buster Scruggs (I just want any physical release already)

And to repeat others, those early Peter Jackson movies that were announced a few years ago

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Chris James 2 posted:

Treated myself to some Takashi Miike films (the Dead Or Alive trilogy and the Black Society trilogy) from Arrow Video's sale and Body Melt from Vinegar Syndrome's sale :toot: Happy holidays, physical media thread
I got an Amazon gift card for Christmas the other day and got Punisher War Zone on UHD :getin: Happy holidays, thread!

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Homeybeef posted:

4K wishlist?

Suspiria (2018)
Dark City
Aliens (this one's been announced, right?)
The Ballad of Buster Scruggs (I just want any physical release already)

And to repeat others, those early Peter Jackson movies that were announced a few years ago

I don’t think it’s been formally announced but there was a rumor of a UHD box set for next year. Not sure how many movies it would include though (4? 6? 8?).

Not sure I would personally upgrade that set for a variety of reasons - the Blu-Ray set looks very good, I already have Alien on UHD, Aliens used pretty noisy film stock for whatever reason, paying more money for Alien Resurrection, etc…

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

david_a posted:

I don’t think it’s been formally announced but there was a rumor of a UHD box set for next year. Not sure how many movies it would include though (4? 6? 8?).

Not sure I would personally upgrade that set for a variety of reasons - the Blu-Ray set looks very good, I already have Alien on UHD, Aliens used pretty noisy film stock for whatever reason, paying more money for Alien Resurrection, etc…

If you're posting in this thread and consider grainy film a bad thing, you might have the wrong hobby.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Rageaholic posted:

I got an Amazon gift card for Christmas the other day and got Punisher War Zone on UHD :getin:
The only good Marvel movie. :hellyeah:

I got a work bonus and you're goddamn right I immediately jumped on the Shawscope set.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

caligulamprey posted:

The only good Marvel movie. :hellyeah:

Blade tho :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Iron Crowned posted:

If you're posting in this thread and consider grainy film a bad thing, you might have the wrong hobby.

To be fair, Eastman 5294 (the high speed stock used for Aliens) was super grainy/noisy and the current Bluray transfer is what they got AFTER they put it through digital noise reduction.