Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

To be fair, the game does say on its title screen the last time it’s been backed up. That alone would make me question where and how I can backup the game.

OP if you think you may have actually backed up at some point, you can call Nintendo and give them a serial number or something of your old Switch and they can port it over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

good. have some freaking respect.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
nintendo is deleting your saves so you can experience the joy of playing the game all over again

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
There is a sale going until the 30th but should I also expect a New Year’s sale or is this it for the holiday season?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Len posted:

That's fair, I was just pointing out that it is working as intended and not broken.

That and Splatoon 2 are just special snowflakes you don't get to transfer

It's because they're technically online service games (just with everything saved client-side iirc in Splatoon's case), so Nintendo doesn't want savescumming for stats/gear/items.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

i think that's the case for splatoon but that makes zero sense as a reason for animal crossing. i think AC saves are just unusual because there's a single island on the system with additional save data per profile. as opposed to only having save data per profile like every other game.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

The AC people have been weird about saves for a long time, 3DS Animal Crossing didn't let you transfer your save to another unit at all.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Yep.

I didn't think to google "hey why doesn't animal crossing save your stuff like other games".

A normal thing to think to search before you encounter the problem.

Silly me.

lmao you could just like, Google your current problem

https://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/49983

If you had island backup enabled and NSO you can just call them and say your original broke or something

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

You can't fit an island into a cloud
It's silly to think you can

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Junkie Disease posted:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Junkie Disease posted:

Muiltiple JRPG's, a Studio Ghibli film, and Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword would readily disagree with you. :colbert:

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Yeah, with magic!

Also Magnificent Trufflepigs is dull as hell, avoid

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Hey guys,

I bought my wife a Switch for Christmas, which is our first console ever, so I'd be grateful for a bit of orientation. I've been playing on PC all my life, the only game she's played up until now is Pokemon Go. I got her Let's Go Eevee second hand, and also picked up Breath of the Wild from the same seller.

What's the cheapest way to get games for the Switch? Deals in the online store, or second hand cartridges? Is there anything to be cautious about? Is there a site like isthereanydeal for Switch games? Cartridges seem to be a bit of a hassle, and I've picked up a 256gb memory card, so I assume there's little reason to go for cartridges.

I'm looking at Collection of Mana for our next purchase, since I remember Secret of Mana had a nice coop mode, back from the days when I played it with a friend on his SNES. I'd be happy for recommendations of casual coop games in a similar vein.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Hannibal Rex posted:

Hey guys,

I bought my wife a Switch for Christmas, which is our first console ever, so I'd be grateful for a bit of orientation. I've been playing on PC all my life, the only game she's played up until now is Pokemon Go. I got her Let's Go Eevee second hand, and also picked up Breath of the Wild from the same seller.

What's the cheapest way to get games for the Switch? Deals in the online store, or second hand cartridges? Is there anything to be cautious about? Is there a site like isthereanydeal for Switch games? Cartridges seem to be a bit of a hassle, and I've picked up a 256gb memory card, so I assume there's little reason to go for cartridges.

I'm looking at Collection of Mana for our next purchase, since I remember Secret of Mana had a nice coop mode, back from the days when I played it with a friend on his SNES. I'd be happy for recommendations of casual coop games in a similar vein.

1.) The eshop and rl stores can both have good deals for digital and cartridge games.
2.) Either, it just depends.
3.) Not really, no.
4.) Dekudeals.com
The main reason to go with cartridges is if they have a lower sale price, or they're a high profile/rare game that will maintain resale value, allowing you to basically break even on purchases of them.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

DekuDeal is the best tracker.

Secondhand physical market is very safe since the cartridges have an extremely low fail rate.

Follow Wario64 on Twitter for real-time deal announcements.

There's a massive sale on the eShop right now, if you want to load up.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

Hannibal Rex posted:

Hey guys,

For Switch game sales there is https://www.dekudeals.com/. There's an online sale going on right now if you're fine with digital.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Hannibal Rex posted:

Hey guys,

imo it's worth getting some of the short and expensive single player games like metroid dread and donkey kong on physical since you can lend them to your buddies or sell them afterwards and end up not paying much.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Mario Odyssey was easily some of the most fun I've had with a video game in probably my entire life and - as weird as it sounds to say it - is probably a better open world game than Breath of the Wild in some respects.

And Breath of the Wild is loving fantastic.

So yeah, get Mario Odyssey.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

You'll get some crazy deals from cartridges, plus you can resell them, but you're also putting one in and taking one out whenever you want to switch (heh) games. There's something to be said about having everything all on the system all the time, assuming you have a big enough memory card.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
I’m guessing the servers are going to be hosed all day? I can’t download the games I bought for my wife and daughter 🙁

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Gonna add in SA Mart is a great place for deals on used Switch games. Never had an issue there. Everyone takes great care of their games, ships them promptly, and prices them pretty fairly.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Rad Valtar posted:

I’m guessing the servers are going to be hosed all day? I can’t download the games I bought for my wife and daughter 🙁

Probably, Nintendo suggested getting online days ago because of it

https://www.gamesradar.com/nintendo-suggests-players-make-online-accounts-before-christmas-to-avoid-stress-on-servers/

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!
Got a Switch for Crimbo with Mario Kart 8 and Pokemon Brilliant Pearl, but I also got a £50 Amazon gift card to get another game with. Any ideas what I should get? What good Switch exclusives are there?

EDUT: Just noticed Metroid Dread on sale for £36.99. Gimme.

Draga fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Dec 25, 2021

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

That works great if it’s a new switch they don’t own yet. Not so great if they already own and play the switch.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Rad Valtar posted:

That works great if it’s a new switch they don’t own yet. Not so great if they already own and play the switch.

I went online after my kids went to bed last night and bought the games then, worked fine, had them for this morning.

Speaking of, holy poo poo Yoshi's Crafted World is beautiful. I know it's sort of shallow gameplay, but I just love watching it so much.

I'm an absolute sucker for tilt-shift shader work.

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

Animal Crossing Island tragedy

If you or your SO aren't already on the raccoon goons discord, it's worth joining in this time of need. I guarantee they will scramble to help turbocharge a new Island back to its former glory. It's not the same as getting your old Island back, but it might be a rousing adventure to get buried in money bags and goon assistance! They're all very sweet in the discord

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Rodney The Yam II posted:

If you or your SO aren't already on the raccoon goons discord, it's worth joining in this time of need. I guarantee they will scramble to help turbocharge a new Island back to its former glory. It's not the same as getting your old Island back, but it might be a rousing adventure to get buried in money bags and goon assistance! They're all very sweet in the discord

This is the kind of good stuff that makes you feel good.

Merry Christmas!

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I went online after my kids went to bed last night and bought the games then, worked fine, had them for this morning.

Speaking of, holy poo poo Yoshi's Crafted World is beautiful. I know it's sort of shallow gameplay, but I just love watching it so much.

I'm an absolute sucker for tilt-shift shader work.

Fair warning, it's cute and fun, but the co-op can be infurating for experienced gamers. I've been playing with my best friend and the whole "ride on your friend's back" mechanic is incredibly touchy and we just constantly get in each other's way since we both usually play games like that solo.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

This is the kind of good stuff that makes you feel good.

Merry Christmas!

Oh yeah, Raccoon Goons are excellent, and they'll get you where you want to go.

Also, can you seriously not buy eshop digital codes on Amazon in Canada? What the gently caress? :psyduck:

Before anyone answers, yes, I'm on Amazon.ca, yes, it shows them listed, and also in CAD, but when I go to buy, I get an error saying the item is unavailable due to geographical location.

This is bullshit. I got $25 amazon gift card, and I want to change it into eshop money.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
canada is a country abandoned by both god and nintendo

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

canada is a country abandoned by both god and nintendo

Maybe it was all the mass graves, doesn’t seem very “Nintendo” of you!

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Is the Breath of the Wild DLC any good?

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Hannibal Rex posted:

Is the Breath of the Wild DLC any good?

it is but master mode doesnt live up to its potential imo

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It gives Link a dirt bike, yes, it’s worth every penny

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I use a mix of digital and cartridges for my games, the former mostly for games like Animal Crossing I play all the time, as well as stuff that happens to be on sale super cheap. Being able to use hand-me-downs is handy.

Physical with the Switch is arguably a bit less of a hassle than other consoles, since the carts are much smaller and easier to carry around than disks.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Carts can be annoying to swap out sometimes, but it's not all that bad. They save on memory space, and you can get some good deals from GameStop on the pre-licked ones.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I use a mix of digital and cartridges for my games, the former mostly for games like Animal Crossing I play all the time, as well as stuff that happens to be on sale super cheap. Being able to use hand-me-downs is handy.

Physical with the Switch is arguably a bit less of a hassle than other consoles, since the carts are much smaller and easier to carry around than disks.

This is mostly how I do it too. Digital for games I come back to a lot, physical for one and done games or ones I want to share with my husband. Unsure which of those SMTV will fall under. I guess it'll depend on which format has a better deal. I got some Christmas money to spend.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I got a bunch of Amazon gift cards from my job and I used them to buy a Switch OLED. It comes on Tuesday and I’m very excited to update from my launch model

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
The only digital games I buy are the ones that are digital-only.

Why would I deny myself retail discounts and lickability?