Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Vigilantes latest chapter: Crawler getting another 2 power-ups out of nowhere is eyerolling but luckily Knuckle Style is cool enough to forgive it.

At this point I'm curious how they justify Crawler not showing up in the main series. His quirk is strong and versatile enough that he could have been on the front line of the war.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
(Vigilantes) I don't mind Crawler getting new powerups as long as they're cool and are plausible applications of his existing quirk that make me go "oh, yeah, that makes sense". It's like how it was cool when icyhot made the air explode way back in the first tournament arc by loving with the ambient temperature so much.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
Like it's been clear for a while his power is just tactile telekinesis, so this doesn't surprise me much

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Dog Kisser posted:

Like it's been clear for a while his power is just tactile telekinesis, so this doesn't surprise me much

Nothing tactile about it; he can shoot energy blasts.

And I would say that I was mostly behind his power progression up until this very fight. Getting ultra instinct and energy projection anywhere on his body instead of just his hands and feet within a few chapters feels more like the author writing themself into a corner and just going with the first thing that comes to mind.

Just end this fight and stop with the powers.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Koichi channeling a repulsion field around his entire body is actually exactly how I expected him to survive after the end of last chapter, and then his knuckles being covered just seems like a logical combat stance while doing that and not a "second" powerup. Using his field to copy Captain Celebrity's is cool IMO

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Koichi's new power up is going to be used to punch o clock in the face and then envelop him to contain the inevitable explosion/meltdown.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Koichi's power-ups make sense and I really like the concept of a supposedly simple quirk having a ton of applications when fully explored. It's what makes Bakugos moves so cool: They're all logical and impressive ways to use explosions in a fight. Another series that does it well is One Piece. Luffy's moves are all creative ways to use being made of rubber.

The problem is just that they're all happening in this one fight, with no training or build-up. He hasn't really earned this, he's just pulling it out of his rear end on the fly like he says this chapter.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Yeah, it makes sense and I don't hate it; it's just a lot one after the other in one fight.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Dec 25, 2021

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

oh jay posted:

Nothing tactile about it; he can shoot energy blasts.

Isn't this just him sort of shooting a blast of air, similar to how Deju does (only with very-close-range telekinesis instead of very fast/great physical force)?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I don't think it's fair to say it is unearned.

Crawler has been shown to practice constantly with his quirk but the big thing limiting him is that he doesn't push himself or go further unless he's pushed to the very edge and usually being pushed to the very edge once is all he has to deal with.

In comparison he's dealing with an enemy who is constantly shifting and changing to counter his powers, so the entire theme is that he's now having to keep desperately pull out new tricks to keep himself alive. More to the point all the powers he has shown are logical extrapolations of the powers he's already shown, just being used in new ways. Even the 'good at dodging' thing is accurate to what we've been shown throughout the series. Hell both of the powerups this chapter are explicitly based off people he has known and who had arcs devoted to them.

It's important thematically because he isn't winning on his own. He's winning because of all the things he learned from the people he has helped and who helped him.

Ytlaya posted:

Isn't this just him sort of shooting a blast of air, similar to how Deju does (only with very-close-range telekinesis instead of very fast/great physical force)?

Yes, he's literally just pushing the air away from him super fast.

Eustace
Feb 26, 2009
Wow lots of haters here dont know how to appreciate a good manga, but then again this is the MHA thread so it is to be expected

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Dog Kisser posted:

Most Quirks are some sort of telekinesis/psychokinesis and thus have no real limit beyond the user's imagination/will. This was actually brought up VERY VERY early on in MHA, so early that I'm surprised it never really got any buildup or continuation.

The new chapter is pretty great, can't wait for the next one.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

This feels like the X-Men realizing the full extent of their powers and considering two side characters are just straight up Cyclops and Wolverine it's probably intentional.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Vigilantes rules.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Christmas Sketch.

https://twitter.com/horikoshiko/status/1474580430263586816?s=20

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

(Vigilantes) Koichi having to find a hidden well of power in the dark and push his way out gives me vibes of that one Spider-Man comic where he's also trapped under the rubble. I also liked that moment of Koichi imagining one final talk with Knuckleduster, even if it was all imagined on his end. The way it's warm and heartfelt is a marked contrast to how No. 6's vision of O'Clock was purely analytical and didn't really care about him that much.

I do gotta laugh at how the way they mentioned Pop there, despite sidelining her for the endgame. She totally matters, you guys! Honest!

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

amigolupus posted:

(Vigilantes) Koichi having to find a hidden well of power in the dark and push his way out gives me vibes of that one Spider-Man comic where he's also trapped under the rubble. I also liked that moment of Koichi imagining one final talk with Knuckleduster, even if it was all imagined on his end. The way it's warm and heartfelt is a marked contrast to how No. 6's vision of O'Clock was purely analytical and didn't really care about him that much.

I do gotta laugh at how the way they mentioned Pop there, despite sidelining her for the endgame. She totally matters, you guys! Honest!

Ah yeah it does give me Ultimate Spiderman vibes.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

oh jay posted:

The main manga will end next year, and this fight will still be going on, with Crawler extending his quirk a 15th time, while Number 6 morphs into his 20th form.

The final battle of the main manga will be won as Crawler and Six battle their way through the field and destroy Shigaraki without registering it, hundreds of powerups deep.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

FireWorksWell posted:

The final battle of the main manga will be won as Crawler and Six battle their way through the field and destroy Shigaraki without registering it, hundreds of powerups deep.

honestly would love this

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

FireWorksWell posted:

:yeah:

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Epilogue reveals that Number 6 and the Crawler are still fighting to this day, it's just treated as a natural disaster that roams the country and life goes on

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

https://twitter.com/jason2937tw/status/1474327584456712194?t=AvWOSk2YkW8e1TVwB5vGIA&s=19

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Crawler had better get to go be an actual hero after this, it would be an awful ending if he just hangs it up and goes off to become a salaryman

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Haulers going to take the fall for Pop and go to jail so she can lead a normal life, then the story cuts to years later when AFO is breaking villains out of all the prisons until his forces are stopped by a mysterious prisoners in a makeshift All Might hoodie.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Flesnolk posted:

Crawler had better get to go be an actual hero after this, it would be an awful ending if he just hangs it up and goes off to become a salaryman

He moves to...I dunno, France or something, and he isn't in Japan currently because he's battling one of All For One's nameless friends that were used an an excuse for why other countries aren't involving themselves in this conflict.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

I think just about the only movie idea I'd find palatable anymore is Vigilante Deku running into Koichi. It'd be a lot more interesting than glorified filler and it would be a great way to put a bow on Vigilantes after the manga ends.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

At the beginning of this arc Koichi narrated it as the end of his hero career.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
And like I said, that's a lovely ending. "Thanks for saving us Crawler, now go be some nobody office drone who'll work himself to death in five years!"

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Crawler is captured and ends up becoming the High End Nomu

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

crawler is the nomu at usj

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
koichi hangs up his cape, changes his name, uses the time travel power developed in the 275th hour of his fight, and turns out to have been All for One all along

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

AFO steals his quirk. Turns out in that battle with All Might where he lists off 20 quirks he's using, that's all just Koichi's quirk which has continued to evolve.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Aurora posted:

crawler is the nomu at usj

I was gonna say this one but we actually saw the picture of the guy before

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

It's the end of the Crawler, but the Cruller's career is just getting started.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
That’s the story of how I became the world’s greatest… zero :smith:

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

and this is how aqours helped koichi turn zero...into 1

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

That last panel does kick a lot of rear end tho

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
My original thought was that Vigilantes was gonna end with Koichi dying while simultaneously putting a stop to some B/C plan of AFO and maybe setting some part of the main storyline in motion. Basically he'd prevent some plan that could've given AFO the whole game in the main series had it not been stopped, but nobody ever knows it happened.

Now I'm thinking he lives, but I can't see him becoming a hero. It'd almost be funny if he was like "okay yeah, I'm glad I did all that but I got super hosed up and it kept dragging people I care about into danger. I got my fill." and just peaces out from the hero/vigilante life to do something else.

E: One thing however- doesn't Koichi's quirk kinda resemble Nine's weird barrier quirk? Nine doesn't use it to move though, ever.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Aurora posted:

and this is how aqours helped koichi turn zero...into 1

This is reminding me of Big Boss' weird, hour long speech from MGS4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

New chapter's out now for the main manga as well:

https://onepiecechapters.com/chapters/345/my-hero-academia-chapter-339