Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

gilgamesh survived and continues to wander the final fantasy multiverse to this very day...

It’s called the gilgaverse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

There was no way it was going to happen given the response to XII but XIII really could have used Gambits. There is absolutely strategy in XIII but it's akin to the strategy in Persona 3 - you gotta strategize around the AI instead of just fuckin' doing things yourselves like you should be able to.

Nah. The AI in 13 is very good once you have that info and getting enough to get them out of dumbass mode is spending 1 TP on Libra, which is trivial. You just have to DO it, which most people... don't. Plus the game is just way too fast to be trying to jam commands for 3 characters without constant time stops, and gambits if anything would make them dumber since enemies in the same random encounter sometimes require very different tactics to win. The one role they don't handle particularly well is Synergist, which is why most people suggest controlling Sahz or Hope when you're finally building your team (besides manual Sahz being the best way to get Full Auto spam to build Stagger like mad, too.)

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

the best moment in final fantasy history is when cloud defeats sephiroth with the omnislash at the end of final fantasy 7

:emptyquote:

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

I can’t wait until I’m omnislashing sephiroth 1 on 1 in next generation graphics when I’m in my 50s. Epic gaming moment nostalgia chills coursing throughout my body as I own the baddest villain of all time (again) (but with better graphics)

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

It’s gonna be a QTE

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

jokes posted:

It’s gonna be a QTE FTW

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

roomtone posted:

some of them are fine obviously, battle grunts and whatever, but they're all woven into this tapestry of ASMR anime seduction.

tifa was already one of the most lusted after characters in games, they didn't really need to add *sighs sleepily* *does anime boob stretch* "could kill for a shower" "worked up a good sweat!" every couple of of minutes to lock people in with sex appeal. they make sure you hear every breath she and aerith take in cutscenes. it's too much.

it's a weird disconnect with a lot of their audience because there are people like me who don't play many games with this stuff in it specifically because i think that's about 90% of the appeal and the rest is just filler, but who did play FF7 as a kid and are excited as adults to return to that world, then find that it's actually filled with content intended for the niche sexy anime audience. i think people were expecting a different tone. it's pretty much impossible to ignore if you know what it is. maybe if i didn't know what it is, and didn't recognise the sighs and animations as being 1:1 from other anime games i've bounced out of, it wouldn't have bothered me. but if you know, you know.

i remember thinking pretty early on when you meet tifa like 'oh, this is going to be one of those kind of games...', which for some reason i didn't expect.
this is entirely in your head op

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

oh that was from a while back

uhhh steiner is good. they should put zenos in.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
aheago steiner

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

aheago steiner
beatrix's google search history

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

aheago steiner

He should make constant noises that are just metal plates banging together and rusty hinges opening.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Honestly I think most FF games have at least one epic moment and plenty of standouts.

FF1: For me it would be the crossing of the bridge. Yeah it's early on but it cemented a sense of adventure that continued through the franchise from that point.
FF2: Lol, I'm back and I'm the Emperor of Hell.
FF3: Probably Aria's death? FF3 is one of the one with limited options.
FF4: This is the first one that has epic buttloads but I'd have to say the "everyone comes to help fight the Giant of Babel" is pretty top notch.
FF5: Gilgamesh showing up to help is pretty top notch.
FF6: The opera
FF7: Aerith's death is pretty high up there but the reveal of Cloud's true background is pretty insane.
FF8: Again a whole ton, but the "floating in space together" scene is probably one of the most memorable love moments in a FF game.
FF9: You Are Not Alone probably is the standout for me.
FFX: Controversial but I thought the ending hit effectively hard.
FFXII: This is actually a tough one since so many moments are more low-impact or subdued but Vayne making his big transformation feels at least pretty cool.
FFXIII: Probably the raceway fight.
XIII-2: Probably any of the time shenanigans.
LR: Stabbing god in the face so hard it creates France.
XIV: The end of MSQ Shadowbringers is an easy favorite here despite the game being filled with them.
XV: Honestly I'd say "waking up to the world of Ruin" was a moment that blew my loving mind even if it turned out to be a wet fart

And that is by no means an exhaustive list. FF is if nothing else good at making "oh gently caress" moments.

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

ff3's moment is when you realize the world map isn't the entire world map

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

ImpAtom posted:

Honestly I think most FF games have at least one epic moment and plenty of standouts.

FF1: For me it would be the crossing of the bridge. Yeah it's early on but it cemented a sense of adventure that continued through the franchise from that point.
FF2: Lol, I'm back and I'm the Emperor of Hell.
FF3: Probably Aria's death? FF3 is one of the one with limited options.
FF4: This is the first one that has epic buttloads but I'd have to say the "everyone comes to help fight the Giant of Babel" is pretty top notch.
FF5: Gilgamesh showing up to help is pretty top notch.
FF6: The opera
FF7: Aerith's death is pretty high up there but the reveal of Cloud's true background is pretty insane.
FF8: Again a whole ton, but the "floating in space together" scene is probably one of the most memorable love moments in a FF game.
FF9: You Are Not Alone probably is the standout for me.
FFX: Controversial but I thought the ending hit effectively hard.
FFXII: This is actually a tough one since so many moments are more low-impact or subdued but Vayne making his big transformation feels at least pretty cool.
FFXIII: Probably the raceway fight.
XIII-2: Probably any of the time shenanigans.
LR: Stabbing god in the face so hard it creates France.
XIV: The end of MSQ Shadowbringers is an easy favorite here despite the game being filled with them.
XV: Honestly I'd say "waking up to the world of Ruin" was a moment that blew my loving mind even if it turned out to be a wet fart

And that is by no means an exhaustive list. FF is if nothing else good at making "oh gently caress" moments.

X has basically everything from the Ice Temple to Calm Lands. It's a nonstop rush of hit after hit after hit.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
the scene that always stick out to me is when tidus finally learns that the final summon kills the summoner.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Crossing the bridge in FFI was cool as hell. As was going to the floating city

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Mr. Locke posted:

Nah. The AI in 13 is very good once you have that info and getting enough to get them out of dumbass mode is spending 1 TP on Libra, which is trivial. You just have to DO it, which most people... don't.

I can't be the only person who always scans every enemy I come across in RPGs....can I?

Well I didn't in FF9 because you had detect + scan, but I did detect almost everything I came across and scanned the occasional enemy.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

For XV I'd go with the Leviathan fight. Even though it's just a setpiece that's almost impossible to lose, the entire presentation in that whole scene was top-notch. Doesn't hurt that Apocalypsis Aquarius is a loving amazing track.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

aheago steiner

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!
I'd say V's big moment is Galuf vs Exdeath.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

FFVIIIs garden battle was my favorite part of that one. Rest yeah y'all got the good scenes.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Draga posted:

I'd say V's big moment is Galuf vs Exdeath.

I admit for me that doesn't hit as hard because it's kind of a blatant clone of Tellah vs Golbez.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you
XI's big moment was when you finally roll high for byakko's haidate

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

:eyepop:

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

ff9 ftw.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

I had to stop playing FF13 because I was getting tunnel vision from playing it on my TV, it was like a road in the center and blackness on both sides for 10 hours.
That was when it originally came out though, I should probably try 13-2 or w/e never played that

e: though I think I talked myself out of it because I remember the lacie and something cie, and none of it made sense.

Barreft fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Dec 27, 2021

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

ff7s final seph confrontation owns, also so does galuf vs exdeath and uhh the opera

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Locke and Rachel, Setzer and Daryl

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I ended up just watching the ending on YT for XIII because I just don’t care to finish the game from chapter 11. I understand the story and all that jazz so I’m calling it as done enough, going to start XIII-2 now.

cirus
Apr 5, 2011

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

the scene that always stick out to me is when tidus finally learns that the final summon kills the summoner.

Except for the guy screaming "an annoying oval office" over the PA

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Skeezy posted:

I ended up just watching the ending on YT for XIII because I just don’t care to finish the game from chapter 11. I understand the story and all that jazz so I’m calling it as done enough, going to start XIII-2 now.

Let us know how it is. I never played 13-2 cause 13 just killed my caring about the whole game. I somehow have it on Steam, must've been a drunk buy

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

ImpAtom posted:

I admit for me that doesn't hit as hard because it's kind of a blatant clone of Tellah vs Golbez.

They learned to do it with a character you could possibly care about though.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

HD DAD posted:

FFXII on Switch is one of the most fun FF experiences I’ve ever had.

I am only a handful of hours in but this checks out so far.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

12 rats tied together posted:

ff3's moment is when you realize the world map isn't the entire world map

Agreed. I went into 3PR cold and I remember getting to the edge of the world for the first time and seeing sky and going "oh wait, holy poo poo"

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Barreft posted:

Let us know how it is. I never played 13-2 cause 13 just killed my caring about the whole game. I somehow have it on Steam, must've been a drunk buy

Same world, similar combat, much better to play through.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

For my feelings for every minor thing 13-2 improved something major and fundamental got wrecked and the level design is awful without even getting into the dungeon with non skippable no xp encounters

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Barreft posted:

So far it’s more of the same but feels a bit better to play. I’m just hoping this one fills the easy breezy feel that I want from an RPG even if the story isn’t.

Edit: One thing I can say is that with the way the first game ended, I don’t really see why they needed to make a sequel really. It is what it is but to me XIII had a pretty definitive ending imo.

Skeezy fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Dec 27, 2021

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

ImpAtom posted:

The top of the Pharos and the Sun-Cryst has a ton of big moments that roll together so fast. You get Gabranth revealing himself framing Basch for Rassler's death, then he does the FFXII logo pose, then Reddas reveals himself as the former judge magister who was responbile for the destruction of Nabudis. Ashe realizes Rassler's ghost is a lie by Venat and rejects their urging to take revenge by getting more Nethicite from the cryst. Cid shows up and get killed and his relationship with Balthier concludes. THEN Reddas sacrifices himself to destroy the Sun-Cryst, which would probably be the big holy gently caress moment of that chapter if not for the weird jump cut from him slicing the crystal to the shot of the blown up top of the tower with the rest of the party outside in an airship

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Ventana posted:

I can't be the only person who always scans every enemy I come across in RPGs....can I?

Well I didn't in FF9 because you had detect + scan, but I did detect almost everything I came across and scanned the occasional enemy.

It's kinda got the same problem status effects do in RPGs where they're of varying worth- in a lot of games random fights are too easy to be worth scanning, and often when you run across something where scan might be useful, like a boss, it doesn't work at all. It's less apparent in FF, which has been pretty consistent on making scan-type spells or abilities useful, but a lot of other games run afoul of this.

That said, XIII isn't unique on how it uses Scan- it's an evolution from the one in Persona 3/4 where it works on the same principal- the AI will just spam whatever until an enemy's profile has uncovered if it's strong or weak to a thing then stop using it/start using it exclusively depending. It's just that P3/4 are also lousy with useless and inaccurate status effects (while XIII's status effects are both mostly limited to one role and are really useful) and more importantly your allies never learn the enemies tactics like XIII does (second use of Libra, a few wins, or just Librascope) so they'll never tailor their tactics either. Also, Persona lacks a scan skill, so usually the only way to get there is to spend a few rounds eating poo poo, which is part of the reason why bosses can be such huge difficulty spikes in the PS2 Personas- it can be hard to get past the opening turns without burning a bunch of resources because your AI companions are useless morons until they fall into the pratfalls you might have already figured out are there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
FF7's script has a lot of translation problems but they absolutely nail the date scene with Cloud and Aerith.

quote:

Aeris
I want to meet you.

Cloud
But I'm right here.

Aeris
(I know, I know...what I mean is...)
I want to meet...you.

Just absolutely fantastic stuff. I also finally looked up what the Tifa/Yuffie/Barret dates are like, since I'm never going to get them. Part of me always wants to, but you have to be a huge rear end in a top hat to Aerith to get a date with anyone else and I just don't have it in me. That said, the exchange at the end of the Tifa date is really good stuff too.

quote:

Tifa
Aeris would be able to just come out and say it, probably.
Cloud...?
Sometimes being old friends is hard.
I mean, timing is everything.

Cloud
Yeah...

Tifa
Cloud...?
I......

The Yuffie date is just kind of interesting with Yuffie kissing Cloud on the cheek out of nowhere and Cloud not reacting to it, and rightfully so, even ignoring the age thing, there's also the "You stole all our materia and told us we were idiots to trust you like two days ago." I'm honestly surprised Yuffie wasn't like "There's only room for one traitor in this party!" when they confronted Cait Sith.

The Barret date is just weird. The Event Square being skipped is pretty funny, but the entire conversation on the gondola is just...weird, with Barret apparently thinking Cloud wants to date his four year old daughter? Then he shoots at the fireworks.