Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wang Commander
Dec 27, 2003

by sebmojo

scary ghost dog posted:

if im still symptomatic ill be hanging out at fireworks stands til sunset then running the rounds between wild wing cafe and any other sufficiently crowded bars. if i dont have symptoms ill just stay home and play death stranding

you need a reverse vaccine to make you spread better (mildly) (safely) I've got my best scientists on this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gabagool
Jul 20, 2020

Pillowpants posted:

Will New Years at Times Square be cancelled?

planet fitness will stage a coup, they will not be denied this ad space another year

Johnny Cache Hit
Oct 17, 2011

scary ghost dog posted:

hell yes. im glad i kissed all those babies at the christmas party. theyll never know what ive done to them, even if their parents somehow find out

i think you meant to post this in the mod forum

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

Iron Crowned posted:

My rotten cat got over her UTI but had been puking a lot and eating little this week. Physical, urinalysis, and the red and white cell counts are fine.

Vet thinks it's a residual from the antibiotics, and gave her a shot to prevent nausea and vomiting for the next 24 hours.

First thing she did when she got home was go to town on her dry food.

She needs more anime in her diet. Give her 2 one pieces and a naruto then call me in the morning.

Orbis Tertius
Feb 13, 2007

when I was younger I had bad mental health issues and drug problems, and they were there for me 100%, despite the entirely self inflicted nature of my fuckups. I mean, I still have issues, I just don’t depend on them like that anymore. so if I can do something to keep them from a torturous death on a vent in some hospital, it’s like the least I can do.

they’re avid consumers of liberal media, and going into the holidays (and still) it was all “COVID is over, also mild, pay no attention to the horrible reality behind the curtain,” and they were totally buying it. it was pretty alarming to watch them go from reasonably cautious to “open Biden”

one-time fee
Sep 29, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wang Commander posted:

I don't think cspam is incredibly correct really, just not actively denying the potential of anything ever again occurring like end of history neoliberals.. but it's definitely a bunch of hooting apes chucking poo poo at the wall seeing what sticks while acknowledging stuff that's common sense for millennia

That and a bit of schadenfreude, and providing a mental outlet to a bunch of traumatized hooting apes, yes.
Jeff can gently caress off if he thinks I'm gonna pay a second-time fee for the rest of the privileges though.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Asproigerosis posted:

She needs more anime in her diet. Give her 2 one pieces and a naruto then call me in the morning.

The cure can't be worse than the disease :ohdear:

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Failson posted:

It is also outright depression.

what isn't these days? there's a difference between being sad due to the deep realization of species ending cataclysmic events, and a chemical imbalance that can be reduced with medication. am I depressed that COVID is here to stay and that people are going to continue to suffer and die? absolutely. does it stop me from going about my daily poo poo? no.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Oh and I did apologize to my MIL this morning before leaving for my "panic attack" last night but I also have a scratchy throat so the damage is done if it's COVID

loving hell

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?

Paradoxish posted:

I love how trying to force our way through this is just leading to everyone being sad, stressed out, and angry all the time

it's really dumb because literally a month of everything locking down and taking a break would have solved this stupidity

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

honestly at this point, it's a new disease and we don't know what treatments for persistent symptoms may be on the horizon, so it may be be wise to wait it out and not immediately texas roadhouse yourself

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Haha holy poo poo Don’t Look Up was written before the pandemic. It was originally about climate change.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

My rotten cat got over her UTI but had been puking a lot and eating little this week. Physical, urinalysis, and the red and white cell counts are fine.

Vet thinks it's a residual from the antibiotics, and gave her a shot to prevent nausea and vomiting for the next 24 hours.

i like your cat's soul patch. very early 2000s.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

Orbis Tertius posted:

when I was younger I had bad mental health issues and drug problems, and they were there for me 100%, despite the entirely self inflicted nature of my fuckups. I mean, I still have issues, I just don’t depend on them like that anymore. so if I can do something to keep them from a torturous death on a vent in some hospital, it’s like the least I can do.

they’re avid consumers of liberal media, and going into the holidays (and still) it was all “COVID is over, also mild, pay no attention to the horrible reality behind the curtain,” and they were totally buying it. it was pretty alarming to watch them go from reasonably cautious to “open Biden”

my father openly chastised me for "supporting" Bush in 2000 when I was in 5th grade, yet gleefully owns the libs and voted for Trump twice. They are old dumb reactionary racists.

Anyone over 40 has terminal lead poisoning, ignore them and let them die.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

kreeningsons posted:

honestly at this point, it's a new disease and we don't know what treatments for persistent symptoms may be on the horizon, so it may be be wise to wait it out and not immediately texas roadhouse yourself

a "wait and see" approach is dumb as gently caress considering we can see in real time the damage COVID is causing. you don't wait until poo poo is bad to do something about it, you do it now while you have the opportunity. it's like how the biden admin is trying to spool up million of tests at the same time millions of people are getting infected: it's not going to help and it's too late.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo
am I losing my mind or is buzzfeed trying to make having covid cool and hip?

https://twitter.com/BuzzFeedNews/status/1475519346076172292?s=20

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

kreeningsons posted:

This remains my viewpoint. It probably is inevitable that I’ll get it, but there is value in delaying it as long as I can. Especially since re-infections are a thing so it isn’t like you get COVID once and then you are done.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Crazypoops posted:

But can we get some cool gamer esthetic masks? 3m is like Logitech back in the 90s I want LEDs and poo poo on my cyberpunk mask

Just saying I think we can combine function and fashion

Razer makes masks that have LEDs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tP_rbaHPkes

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Louisgod posted:

a "wait and see" approach is dumb as gently caress considering we can see in real time the damage COVID is causing. you don't wait until poo poo is bad to do something about it, you do it now while you have the opportunity. it's like how the biden admin is trying to spool up million of tests at the same time millions of people are getting infected: it's not going to help and it's too late.

It’s dumb rear end gently caress for that to be the public health response but on a personal level it’s about all you can do.

Wang Commander
Dec 27, 2003

by sebmojo

Louisgod posted:

I mean we could have a better government response and also not have the individual response be suicide. Normalizing suicide is insanely hosed and a terrible sign about the direction this forum is headed in

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

Wang Commander posted:

I mean we could have a better government response and also not have the individual response be suicide. Normalizing suicide is insanely hosed and a terrible sign about the direction this forum is headed in

uhhh have you, idk, looked at climate/PFAS, plastics/everything, lately?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
test positivity in VT was 12% on Christmas day, 15% the day after

all the state test sites were closed, so i guess that's from people showing up at the ER and maybe a few home testers who submitted their results

AppleNippleBOB
May 13, 2007

A goon got one of these, and reported to the thread about how dogshit awful it is.
I can't find the post ATM, but do not buy this stupid mask

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Death By The Blues posted:

lol people here arguing about my comment. All you do is post that the world is getting undeniably worse and untenable. Sorry if I don't want to live with a chronic illness during societal collapse and how mass death for disabled people has become societally acceptable. Good on you, if you want to live through it but I am not lol.

From your posts it doesn't sound like you already have a horrible chronic disease that requires complex medical treatment.

The idea of someone electing to end their life, rather than live with a horrible chronic disease during medical collapse, on the face of it, seems quite rational for me.

Preparing for that eventuality now to the point that you're having "the suicide talk" with your parents seems, uh, premature and very weird to me. Everyone in this thread has the same basic information as you and we have a growing number of people who have had COVID, some of whom have problems of varying seriousness that they are already aware of. I haven't seen anyone in that position decide to have "the suicide talk", nor have I seem people who consistently come down on the most doomer-take side of things mostly decide they need to have "the suicide talk".

This is not to suggest you're "right" or "wrong"; those are abstract concepts which have little to do with the decision one individual makes about basically anything. But, even in this thread of people taking COVID seriously and more pessimistically than 99.9% of society, your comment and way of thinking about this is a significant outlier, and I would encourage you to think about reasons that might be before doing anything permanent.

If you're just blowing off steam, carry on. I just lost a close friend to suicide and while I ultimately have refrained from questioning or judging their decision, it sucked for everyone else involved and I take this stuff very seriously.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Thoguh posted:

It’s dumb rear end gently caress for that to be the public health response but on a personal level it’s about all you can do.

true true, maybe I misread the op as the healthcare response and not personal response.

Wang Commander posted:

thinking I totally misread the op, my bad

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

Louisgod posted:

This was in the context of whether an individual should kill themselves or persist in hopes of treatments if they end up with long covid. I should have quoted because it may have been unclear.

Absolutely agreed that our institutions should not be waiting to see how severe the outcomes are since this is gambling with people's health and lives -- the Biden admin should be doing everything possible to prevent infections in the first place, even if it turns out later those measures were overkill.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Respirator ccold crew

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Crazypoops posted:

But can we get some cool gamer esthetic masks? 3m is like Logitech back in the 90s I want LEDs and poo poo on my cyberpunk mask

Just saying I think we can combine function and fashion

no idea if there is any filter though (absolutely not there isnt)

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Joementum posted:

test positivity in VT was 12% on Christmas day, 15% the day after

all the state test sites were closed, so i guess that's from people showing up at the ER and maybe a few home testers who submitted their results

My boosted but elderly parents drove here from WNY; they are able to drive straight through and we'd all isolated for quite a while on both sides; we pulled our kid out of preschool for a week and did the last shopping stuff as curbside and/or Envo'd quick stops.

I feel like we did everything as responsibly as possible, interacted with no one and didn't go out into the world while they were here, but I am still not gonna relax about it until they're home! They are probably at more risk back in Monroe County where they do occaisionally have to go inside stores and stuff, WNY is popping off hard now, too

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

Cabbages and Kings posted:

If you're just blowing off steam, carry on. I just lost a close friend to suicide and while I ultimately have refrained from questioning or judging their decision, it sucked for everyone else involved and I take this stuff very seriously.

Same and it was a minor which made it worse but at the same time, I couldn't blame the dude.

Honestly going to the funeral and hearing everyone, literally everyone, repeat, "it was selfish" pissed me off more. gently caress YOU! Who are you to judge what it was like inside his mind!?

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Wang Commander posted:

bro your blood is ragu chunky vegetable marinara perhaps fall back 500 steps

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

Iron Crowned posted:

yeah, cats won't eat or drink if their nauseous, especially with dehydration. if you can get them out of that loop, they bounce back.

edit: wrong info

Rauros fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Dec 27, 2021

Orbis Tertius
Feb 13, 2007

Crunchy Black posted:

my father openly chastised me for "supporting" Bush in 2000 when I was in 5th grade, yet gleefully owns the libs and voted for Trump twice. They are old dumb reactionary racists.

Anyone over 40 has terminal lead poisoning, ignore them and let them die.

I hear you. I’m fully aware that I’m extremely fortunate my relationship with my parentals is what it is, and that it’s not common. they somehow avoided catching the worst aspects of boomer brain.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Asproigerosis posted:

Fyi if you go to the hospital to get tested just because of contact/exposure you are a rear end in a top hat wasting our time and extremely stretched resources.

it's good to get tested if you think you might have covid IMO

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

HiroProtagonist posted:

no idea if there is any filter though (absolutely not there isnt)

https://www.razer.com/gear-accessories/razer-zephyr
how the gently caress did Razer make this thing and not manage to put any real filtration in it? What the gently caress??

Crunchy Black posted:

Same and it was a minor which made it worse but at the same time, I couldn't blame the dude.

Honestly going to the funeral and hearing everyone, literally everyone, repeat, "it was selfish" pissed me off more. gently caress YOU! Who are you to judge what it was like inside his mind!?

Condolences. Ire from the living towards the dead, I think, generally reflects an inability to look our own death in the eye. I do not have this problem because I have had the problem of suicidal ideation myself on and off for a long time, have come very close to being ended or worse in cars twice and a train wreck once, and I'm over thinking I'm smarter than anyone else about their own poo poo. Part of me wants to believe my friend was on the verge of turning a major corner and his life would have gotten much much better, but, who the gently caress am I to make assumptions like that? Maybe all he did was shave 30-40 years more chronic depression and anxiety off, and it would be pretty loving selfish of me to get bent about anything in that case. Since I can never know, it seems dumb.

A band called Purple Mountains released an album of the same name right before COVID, it's clearly a suicide note, and the writer killed themselves before the planned tour started. A line that keeps coming back to me, in light of my friend's death

David Berman posted:

When the dyin's finally over, and the suffering is done, all the suffering is left for the ones we leave behind/

This is universally true, no matter how people die.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Rauros posted:

yeah, cats won't eat or drink if their nauseous, especially with dehydration. if you can get them out of that loop, they bounce back.

edit: wrong info

Had to get this for my little cat when he got a stomach bug. Gave him the appetite drug a few days and he snarfed up his food and was happy as a clam in no time

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

mystes posted:

Honestly the only real reason to get tested is to protect other people anyway and I wonder if it's really a good idea for most people to even try to get tested anywhere if they don't have rapid tests on hand or something right now.

I guess if you need proof of a positive result or you're going to be fired or something it's one thing, but if you're sick right now you probably have covid. If you don't have a test on hand and you don't NEED a result for some reason, just stay the gently caress home.

Even if you go a normal test site rather than the ER you're risking getting infected (if you weren't already positive) or giving it to someone else (if you were already positive) and at this point it probably isn't worth it if you can avoid it.

yes, this!!! isolate yourself for 14 days every time you have a runny nose. stay away from your family/household members and take 2 weeks off from work. get everything delivered by amazon, instacart and door dash

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

AppleNippleBOB posted:

A goon got one of these, and reported to the thread about how dogshit awful it is.
I can't find the post ATM, but do not buy this stupid mask

I almost jumped in on this stupidity too but then they removed the mic and speaker from it. What the gently caress is even the point without that.

I just want someone to make a badass looking respirator with a mic and speakers. I would pay too much money for this.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

I forgot which goon it was but you can look up the time stamp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Death of Innocence
Jan 12, 2006

mystes posted:

Honestly the only real reason to get tested is to protect other people anyway and I wonder if it's really a good idea for most people to even try to get tested anywhere if they don't have rapid tests on hand or something right now.

I guess if you need proof of a positive result or you're going to be fired or something it's one thing, but if you're sick right now you probably have covid. If you don't have a test on hand and you don't NEED a result for some reason, just stay the gently caress home.

Even if you go a normal test site rather than the ER you're risking getting infected (if you weren't already positive) or giving it to someone else (if you were already positive) and at this point it probably isn't worth it if you can avoid it.

A positive test result is documented evidence of your disease, which is always useful when you need to tell your boss that you’re sick, telling people that you’re isolating from that you’re sick, or telling your doctor that you’re sick, or even telling yourself that you’re sick, and it’s not just in your head. I can’t imagine going to the ER for a covid test, but there are home tests and relatively safe public testing sites. It’s a lot easier to do the right thing when you have the test result, it’s hard to completely isolate for a week or two just based on a hunch. Most people would have to get pretty sick to isolate without a test result, and generally you get that sick after having been contagious for a while, so aggressively testing when you start to feel sick or you think you got exposed can be very helpful. Also the pills and the antibody treatments only work if administered early and that kind of relies on getting a positive test result, as far as I know. I agree that if you’re sick right now, you probably have covid, but I’ve noticed that some people outside this thread have kind of the opposite view, that if you only have flu or cold symptoms than it’s only the cold or the flu. People have these contradictory ideas that covid is only the flu, but if you think you might have it, surely the dangerous pandemic disease would be extra severe or exotic right? Anyway I think most people who catch covid could benefit from getting an early positive test result.