Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

NomNomNom posted:

If you took exception to me saying you could chug distilled water, alright fine that's hyperbolic and you're weird if you like the taste. Home RO systems are fine and safe as a primary drinking source.

yeah, you guys are kind of talking past each other. There are different types of distillation and RO setups for various lab, home, or industrial use. If you're regularly drinking gallons of ultrapure water from a several-stage RO system or decent distillation system, it's completely unwise. Your original post implied you could do that without worry, which is what the other guy responded to. But if you're having a glass of home-RO with other food/drink, it should be fine (esp. w/ softener installed).

it's a different water story, but this reminds me of how earlier in the year a bunch of kids developed liver failure from drinking alkaline water:
https://arstechnica.com/science/2021/03/complaints-mount-after-5-kids-suffer-liver-failure-linked-to-alkaline-water/

just keep your water sources boring, folks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
One other thing for me is they said RO would remove fluoride and I kinda want the fluoride since I do not like getting cavities and granted I don't know if it's an ongoing benefit or mainly when you are growing up but I will take all the help I can get

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

This funny detail has reminded me that I probably need to figure out how tf to use my water softener

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

quote:

For example, human volunteer studies (3) showed that the water temperatures
of 15-350 C best satisfied physiological needs. Water temperatures above 350 or below 150 C resulted in a reduction in water consumption

Uhh, well I guess I'm drinking my water at the wrong temperature

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

devicenull posted:

It's a pdf conversion thing, should be 15-35 degrees C :v:

pmchem posted:

yeah, you guys are kind of talking past each other. There are different types of distillation and RO setups for various lab, home, or industrial use. If you're regularly drinking gallons of ultrapure water from a several-stage RO system or decent distillation system, it's completely unwise. Your original post implied you could do that without worry, which is what the other guy responded to. But if you're having a glass of home-RO with other food/drink, it should be fine (esp. w/ softener installed).

Yeah, it's this. Ultrapure is different from a home RO system (most of which are usually more in line with ultra or nano filtration in the typical sense) as home systems tend to remove 50-75% of impurities from what I've seen.

NomNomNom posted:

I'm also an engineer (unrelated field) so I decided to find some references for my assertion.

The Water Quality Association (industry group of purified water people, probably incentivized to say it's safe): Consumption of Low TDS Water

I found the WHO report that you were likely referencing: Health Risks from Drinking Demineralised Water

I'm suss of some of the studies, like morbidity of infants in the USSR. It also talks about chugging water post-exercise, and admits that regular tap water might kill you too if you do that.

I also found a statement from the EPA saying that they viewed consumption of RO water safe, and saying that "leaching minerals from the body" is not accepted fact. They kind have to say that, since I wonder what Navy sailors and astronauts drink.

If you took exception to me saying you could chug distilled water, alright fine that's hyperbolic and you're weird if you like the taste. Home RO systems are fine and safe as a primary drinking source.

In short, water is a land of contrasts.

Apologies if I came off as aggressive. I did specify ultrapure water - which is typically way lower TDS than what's discussed above (think <0.1ppm) while the information above is looking at say 50ppm. Orders of magnitude different. You're not going to get ultrapure water from a home RO system, but you can purchase it fairly easily (I've seen demineralized water at the grocery store claiming 1ppm TDS - it had nice big do not drink labels on it). I would absolutely avoid drinking that level of ultrapure water, which I was under the impression that you were saying was just fine.

There are a lot of potable water plants that do use RO systems - and on the ones I've done, we always monitor TDS / conductivity of the permeate to ensure that its not too low, along with selecting appropriate membranes / system design to ensure we don't actually have the ability to get to that level. But variations in source water quality can actually change enough to make it an issue - especially in places with groundwater sources that are normally very high in salt (think islands). Essentially, if your supply well in one of these locations is influenced by surface water, after massive rainstorms you can wind up in a situation where your salt content drops by a factor of 10-100, and now removing 99% puts you in dangerous territory. My experience with ultrapure comes from boiler feed systems for steam based power generation (lack of TDS in the water means less wear and tear on the turbine) and the safety information there always includes info on not to drink the ultrapure water.

Stefan Prodan posted:

One other thing for me is they said RO would remove fluoride and I kinda want the fluoride since I do not like getting cavities and granted I don't know if it's an ongoing benefit or mainly when you are growing up but I will take all the help I can get

This is true, and even carbon filters will remove some (not very much) fluoride.

El Mero Mero posted:

I'd say you should also make sure that you run whatever they suggest they're going to install for you by the NSF water filter certification database. If the things you want are not listed on there I wouldn't bother/trust it.

Here's the P-550. It doesn't actually list that system as having been certified for taste/odor reduction or chlorine reduction, which I think is odd for a RO system - but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

Also, RO systems will waste like 4 gallons of water for every gallon you ultimately produce.

NSF is an excellent database to look at for these things. Components should also all be NSF61 rated. RO systems for home use probably waste about that much, industrial ones waste far less (but take a lot more energy / pressure as a result, and as with anything, depends on the source water).

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

devicenull posted:

I keep trying to get my water above 100C, but IT JUST WON'T GET THERE WHAT AM I DOING WRONG!?!?

FakeEdit: It keeps escaping I guess, maybe I need a different enclosure for it. Shoebox with holes in the lid? :shrug:

Edit:

TrueChaos posted:

Apologies if I came off as aggressive. I did specify ultrapure water - which is typically way lower TDS than what's discussed above (think <0.1ppm) while the information above is looking at say 50ppm. Orders of magnitude different. You're not going to get ultrapure water from a home RO system, but you can purchase it fairly easily (I've seen demineralized water at the grocery store claiming 1ppm TDS - it had nice big do not drink labels on it). I would absolutely avoid drinking that level of ultrapure water, which I was under the impression that you were saying was just fine.

I was gonna ask how pure distilled water is, but I've never seen "do not drink" stickers on it (and distillation is usually fine for camping/hiking I think) so I'm guessing it's not as pure as I thought it was.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Zarin posted:

I keep trying to get my water above 100C, but IT JUST WON'T GET THERE WHAT AM I DOING WRONG!?!?

FakeEdit: It keeps escaping I guess, maybe I need a different enclosure for it. Shoebox with holes in the lid? :shrug:

Edit:

I was gonna ask how pure distilled water is, but I've never seen "do not drink" stickers on it (and distillation is usually fine for camping/hiking I think) so I'm guessing it's not as pure as I thought it was.

Not as pure as you thought it was, but absolutely pure enough for whatever you're using it for camping / hiking wise. I'd want something for electrolytes if that's all I was drinking though.

The trick to getting your water to 350c is to pressurize it first! Just keep it at about 2400PSI and it should stay liquid :v:

TrueChaos fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Dec 23, 2021

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Elephanthead posted:

So what brand softener and or whole house filter will be cheap and effective? I have pretty good tap water but soft water is better for my flowing locks.

Test first to get an idea of the hardness (cheap kits are on Amazon) and get an idea of your daily water usage.

I think the basic GE models you can find at L/HD work really well, considering their cost (~$500.) Size the unit based on your water use * hardness. My 40,000 grain unit works well for us with about 18 GPG hardness and around 80-90 gallons per day. It recharges about 2-3 times a month, and you can schedule the recharge for like 2AM when you're not using water.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
I have ascended

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

NomNomNom posted:

I have ascended

Trip report today or tomorrow please

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

NomNomNom posted:

I have ascended

:bubblewoop:

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

NomNomNom posted:

I have ascended

Pooping anywhere else is spoiled for you now. It's a tough cross to bear.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Thought the thread might get a kick out of this.

No other details, but a house with a DIY observatory is making the rounds in a city FB group.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Hopefully everybody made it through the one day Home Depot actually closes.

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

NomNomNom posted:

Hopefully everybody made it through the one day Home Depot actually closes.

We're getting a ton of snow today in Seattle (unusual) so I'm glad I picked up a snow shovel last month (even though someone laughed at me when I did ???) and the Seattle thread reminded me about ice melt on Friday.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Delivery date on the sofa I ordered September 5th has changed from "late December" to "mid February" in the span of a week.

:negative:

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

After my last few experiences with furniture delivery I don’t bother with anything that is not in stock and I can take home that day. This was even pre pandemic so not even that excuse just straight up lying about availability to get me to pay that day.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Involuntary Sparkle posted:

We're getting a ton of snow today in Seattle (unusual) so I'm glad I picked up a snow shovel last month (even though someone laughed at me when I did ???) and the Seattle thread reminded me about ice melt on Friday.

I'm on my way to find one today. I thought I had more time. I went to bed late last night and it wasn't even freezing. Woke up to a decent amount of snow that isn't melting right away and with our forecast, might stick around.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Just figured out my girlfriends cats have been pissing in the corners of my garage for god knows how long. I figured it out when I went to pull out the large shop vac and the hose smelled like cat piss and I saw the stain on the concrete. After some searching I discovered two more places they were pissing. None of the locations show up on a blacklight, which I think is weird. Do I just have a lovely blacklight? It's definitely cat piss.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

SpartanIvy posted:

Just figured out my girlfriends cats have been pissing in the corners of my garage for god knows how long. I figured it out when I went to pull out the large shop vac and the hose smelled like cat piss and I saw the stain on the concrete. After some searching I discovered two more places they were pissing. None of the locations show up on a blacklight, which I think is weird. Do I just have a lovely blacklight? It's definitely cat piss.

Please see the thread title. It will direct you to the knowledge that cat piss fluoresces at a different wavelength than a typical cheap blacklight.

Also, get some enzyme cleaner and spray that poo poo down ASAP.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Motronic posted:

Please see the thread title. It will direct you to the knowledge that cat piss fluoresces at a different wavelength than a typical cheap blacklight.

Also, get some enzyme cleaner and spray that poo poo down ASAP.

Yeah I'm in the process of ordering some right now. I'm loving livid at her cats. They have a litter box and access to the entire backyard with lots of sandy spots and they piss in my loving garage.

e: Apparently the blacklight I own is one linked earlier in the thread as a good one, but I went ahead and bought another one with a 365nm wavelength which is supposed to better for cat piss.

SpartanIvy fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Dec 26, 2021

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Are they still going to the bathroom in the litter boxes? Cats not pissing in litter boxes can be a sign something's wrong.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Johnny Truant posted:

Are they still going to the bathroom in the litter boxes? Cats not pissing in litter boxes can be a sign something's wrong.

My GF mostly takes care of the litter box and she says they do, but even if there wasn't any pee in the litter box, that doesn't necessarily indicate a problem because they have my entire sandy backyard to do their business in, and do frequently from what I can see. I am suggesting to her that we get a second litter box because the internet says sometimes cats don't like using other cats litter boxes. Although the times they are together in the garage is miniscule. They are frequently in and out throughout the day, and one of the cats likes to spend the night indoors with us. The other cat usually prefers to stay in the backyard but if the weathers bad he'll want in the garage, but he has the run of the place since the other cat is with us. The cat that stays inside overnight with us has not had any issues peeing in the house.

Many months ago a stray did get in the garage and peed in at least one of the spots that is being peed on now. I wonder if that is instigating her cats to mark it. I'm hoping that's the case and the enzyme cleaner takes it up enough to stop that instinct.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Aw man cat stuff is relatable content. Our 12 year old boy now has some kind of dementia where any loud noises or unfamiliar sights put him in an actual violent rage

Like, the dog will knock a glass off the counter and the noise will cause the cat to seek out the nearest person or animal and try to draw blood

Kind of a bummer to talk to the vet about because they just say violent animals need to get euthanized

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Kind of a bummer to talk to the vet about because they just say violent animals need to get euthanized

I mean it sucks but that's probably the right answer... your cat is probably freaked out a lot and it's not gonna get better.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
You can put their food bowls in the garage in the corners where they peed, they usually won't pee where they eat.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
How much is a new oven/range supposed to cost? Replacing our 20+ year old rental special keeps creeping to the front of my mind. It's currently gas, and I'd really like to switch it to induction. And if I can't convince the wife to do induction, then probably dual fuel, because I really want an electric oven, even if the range still has to be gas. Looking at induction, there are a couple of fridgide-aire models in the $1000-$1500 range, which seems too cheap to really be good, but then it seems to jump to over $4000 which seems like... too much. Dual Fuel seems to start in the $4000 range which again seems high. Is that what a nice oven costs these days? Are these Covid supply chain prices?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

In my experience Frigidaire makes pretty good appliances. They are owned by Electrolux.

I'd probably be eyeballing this guy if I was in your shoes. https://www.lowes.com/pd/Frigidaire...teel/5001795029

Do you already have the 50 amp circuit there?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

FISHMANPET posted:

How much is a new oven/range supposed to cost? Replacing our 20+ year old rental special keeps creeping to the front of my mind. It's currently gas, and I'd really like to switch it to induction. And if I can't convince the wife to do induction, then probably dual fuel, because I really want an electric oven, even if the range still has to be gas. Looking at induction, there are a couple of fridgide-aire models in the $1000-$1500 range, which seems too cheap to really be good, but then it seems to jump to over $4000 which seems like... too much. Dual Fuel seems to start in the $4000 range which again seems high. Is that what a nice oven costs these days? Are these Covid supply chain prices?

Your biggest challenge will be needing electricity. Chances are your gas stove only has a small circuit to use where electric oven will require a 50a 220v outlet.

The only thing I do know on induction is to compare the energy output of the burners.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Dual fuel is a luxury thing, you have to build basically two complete systems into a single unit then convince UL its safe. People also tend to have one or the other making them lower volume.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Do you have the 220v plug? That’s going to be the main problem switching from gas.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Lol, I knew I should have mentioned the plug.

That would be one of the changes that would need to be made, but thankfully it won't be too difficult. I actually already have the 50 amp breaker in the panel, thanks to my FIL, we just don't have it wired to anything yet. My stove location is about 25 feet, as the wire runs, from my panel. The basement is open so easy to run wire, and then just a straight shot up from there into the wall.

That Frigidaire and its siblings are the ones I've seen in the $1000-$1500 range. My local appliance place actually has one on sale for $1000 right now but I'm just going to have to let that pass me by. I think that's also the same model that's sold at Ikea. I remember reading a few months ago that the oven in that unit had some issues, but I also don't have any context for what it would be compared to my terrible oven. But looking at my local place, after the Frigidaire, things jump up to $3000 and beyond, and without any reference point, that just seems like a big jump to me.

Good to know that dual fuel is considered a "luxury" item. That was suggested by the same FIL above, since when he visited and I expressed an interest in Induction, the wife immediately balked at the idea.

I guess really, before I think too hard about any of it, I need to get a $50 induction hot plate in the effort to convince the wife.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

huh funny coincidence. I'm in pretty much the same position of needing a new stove and considering induction.

Ancient gas stove stopped working, with the gas company guy giving me this look telling me that this thing has never been that safe.

I'd love to get an induction stove since it's good for the environment, and since I'm in Canada it is possible (though unlikely) that the government could actually stay true to their word (hoho) and in the near future the carbon tax could rise to such a level that I'll be saving significant monies by shifting away from gas.

I'll also need to bring in 240v to this kitchen though the panel is in the basement directly below the unfinished kitchen, so maybe not too hard. Sounds like the first step is to find an electrician and get their opinion.

As my gas stove no longer works, just this morning I dashed out and I bought a cheapo ikea single burner portable induction stove, TILLREDA (recommended on wirecutter!) to tide me over until I can get a replacement appliance. I just made soup on it and.... it sucks? Couldn't simmer worth a drat, instead doing nothing, then suddenly a bunch of soup boils up and splatters everywhere.

I'm going to presume that this $50 portable induction cooktop is not in any way representative of what I can expect if I buy a high end induction range? Anyone with experience in induction stoves please weigh in here.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
You should refurbish an antique gas stove and keep it running until the end of time.

Behold my 600 pound behemoth

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Ha, the TILLREDA was going to be my demo induction, but if it's not that great then I don't want to risk souring the wife on induction altogether.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
A portable one will max out at 1800w which is equivalent or lower than the small burners of a full range. The big burner of the ranges are between 3600-4200 watts from me looking at Lowes earlier.

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum
What are peoples opinions on hot water heaters? We have two 50 gals in our building (5 unit coop) and one is busted, thinking of going tankless. Never have to worry about 50 gallons of hot water on our floor again (one leaked last year, another this year…), should be “unlimited” hot water, and more efficient. I don’t see the downside other than we will have to pay more up front since the warranty replacement is only $150 vs. the new tankless. I’m guessing the math for electricity will work out as money savings.

Also, despise the screw in/out valves with rubber bits, never work when I need to shutoff the water. Quarter turn always seem to work, going to specify that from now on.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I've been googling it out of curiosity and I'm surprised that I can't find any induction cooktops that utilize a NEMA 5-20 plug to give it more power.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

SpartanIvy posted:

I've been googling it out of curiosity and I'm surprised that I can't find any induction cooktops that utilize a NEMA 5-20 plug to give it more power.

I mean at that point why bother with that instead of just going 240v

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

devmd01 posted:

well that was real cool to come home to

good thing I got more stain the other day!

Well this has escalated quickly. $200 of lumber later I have learned the value of a planer in hiding many sins. The posts used on the side fences are 4.75” actual, which, wtf. So I had to buy three 6x6 and ripped them down to the appropriate size which was challenging to do cleanly on a lovely 10” job site saw. Next up is trim routing the corners with the biggest round-over bit I have then I can put them in the ground.

When I came in for dinner my wife goes (jokingly) “every time I look out there you make it worse!” I’m just glad I have literally every single tool I need for this on hand. Thanks dad for telling me to take any tool I wanted out of your workshop!