Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Part 3 of my watch with my family series where we just watched episodes 5 and 6. Click on the links for part 1 and part 2.

Episode ranking: The consensus is 6 >= 5 >= 4 > 1 > 3 >= 2. People were happy that they are learning a lot more of what the story really is. They liked seeing Perrin Wolf out (my mom was calling it out as soon as the wolves howl could be heard in the background), learning more about the Aes Sedai, and seeing Moiraine's political games. They also all liked Loial, who they often cracked up laughing from. They also cracked up at Moiraine's "The Amyrlin waits for only 1 woman," Egwene's smug look, and Nynaeve's "now that you are done puffing smoke up our rear end" (they really liked that whole sequence). No one spotted Padan Fain.

My mom: Her favorite characters switched in these episodes to Moiraine and Lan. She felt like they should be together, and was upset when Moiraine was revealed with Siuan because of it (and she was also upset when she masked her bond). She was sad that she was wrong about Mat, but is sure she will reclaim her prediction streak with the Dragon Reborn prediction being all 5.

My brother: His favorite is still Nynaeve, but he has switched his prediction to be that exactly Nynaeve and Perrin are the Dragon Reborn, since they are the two with powers. He imagines they will have a duality thing going on, because there have been duality themes and "it just fits." He was happy to be right about the Dagger prediction.

My step dad: Favorites are still Rand and Egwene, and also is using the duality argument to argue that they are the Dragon Reborn, and it is those two since they have the most chemistry, and it is obviously because they both have the same soul.

We also talked about the Ajahs afterword. I told them about the Brown, Grey, and White, since they hadn't been on screen. My mom said she would be brown, followed by white. My brother chose Green followed by Yellow, and my step dad said grey (though my family joked he would be a red).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

My understanding is that The Wheel of Time was not really on anyone’s radar but Judkins pitched it to Sony Pictures and Amazon who liked his passion and story of growing up reading these books with his mom and picked up the series based on that.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

An easy fix for the whole Lan/ Nynaeve thing would have been Lan stoically saying 'Moraine masked the bond, she does not want me following her. This is something she must do alone' and then Nynaeve shouting him into compliance or appealing to emotions or whatever. Suits both characters, develops their relationship, doesn't make anyone look incompetent

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Nix Panicus posted:

An easy fix for the whole Lan/ Nynaeve thing would have been Lan stoically saying 'Moraine masked the bond, she does not want me following her. This is something she must do alone' and then Nynaeve shouting him into compliance or appealing to emotions or whatever. Suits both characters, develops their relationship, doesn't make anyone look incompetent

Lan would carve a hole into hell to follow her if Moraine told him something like that. The only times Lan lets Moraine go into danger unaccompanied are either when it's something he literally cannot do on account of being male or a nonchanneller, like Rhuidean, or when there are two important objectives that need doing at the same time, like in Illian. Even if he couldn't physically enter the Eye of the World, he'd never let her go into the Blight alone unless someone literally cut his legs off. He'd carve a path to the Eye and guard her back while she was down there, even if it meant his sure death. That's what being a warder is.

The last episode did Lan loving dirty.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

There would be hell to pay when he found her too. What she did was pretty hosed up, and can't even really be justified with trying to save him or anything because the show painstakingly showed us how bad it is when a warder's Aes Sedai dies. If she really thought anyone who went with Rand was going to die, she would have released the bond entirely, not just masked it.

Rythian
Dec 31, 2007

You take what comes, and the rest is void.

The entire thing is just bizarre. She believes everyone who goes with Rand will die. So she considers it a suicide mission on her part, cool. But we literally JUST had an episode this season showing just what an Aes Sedai's death does to a warder. A full episode spent on Stepin and his sorrow, grief and despair after losing his Aes Sedai. Time that could have spent on undeveloped main characters, but fine, okay, it's about the bond and how much that means.

But apparently Moiraine is happy letting that happen to Lan since she expects to go die at the Eye of the World.

EDIT: Post above me just said what I said but succincter.

ad090
Oct 4, 2013

claws for alarm
Her and potentially Lan dying along with the Dark One is a worthy exchange in her book, this has been her cause for like 30 years (remember the ferryman). Besides she obviously sees that Lan is into Nynaeve badly, so she probably thinks he'll hold on and survive, which he does in the books.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

As long as I get more Fain, Logain and Nynaeve I'll be happy

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Hollismason posted:

The real question that season 1 doesn't answer is what happened to Bela.

Bela farted too much and had to go.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Barreft posted:

As long as I get more Fain, Logain and Nynaeve I'll be happy

shameful deletion of ishamael imo

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
What are some pro scenes that people want in the series before it gets prematurely canceled? I'm personally hoping we at least get to Rhuidean and Asmodean duel.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

perrin eating ham

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Hollismason posted:

What are some pro scenes that people want in the series before it gets prematurely canceled? I'm personally hoping we at least get to Rhuidean and Asmodean duel.

Dumai's Wells, assuming power creep doesn't make it redundant by then. For next season, I don't think we'll get them because they wouldn't have done Rand's Accepted test with Ishamael if they were, but the Portal Stones would be rad. Falme's a big one too though.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

As much of Aviendha as possible.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I really want the show down with Moraine using balefire , but dammit they've still Moraine so we're not going to be able to see that in the show.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

All Lanfear, all the time.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

I can't wait to see how they deal with Rand's harem situation. So far it looks like they're trying to avoid it as long as possible. They just skipped Elayne entirely and Min is ten years older and has zero chemistry with Rand.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Nix Panicus posted:

I can't wait to see how they deal with Rand's harem situation. So far it looks like they're trying to avoid it as long as possible. They just skipped Elayne entirely and Min is ten years older and has zero chemistry with Rand.

They directly hinted at it with Min's vision, the chemistry seemed fine, and Elayne was delayed to season 2 and is cast, not skipped entirely.

ad090
Oct 4, 2013

claws for alarm
Rafe already said in the AmA on reddit I believe that basically the four of them will all be in to each other as well, instead of the three of them not really accepting that they have to share Rand.

ad090 fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Dec 28, 2021

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

What's funny about them keeping the harem (even if it's a polycule now instead of a harem) is that getting rid of it entirely is probably one of the biggest changes I would have been totally on board with. I don't think the books even really did a great job of conveying why all those women found him so alluring, or why he'd find it totally impossible to choose between them, with Min being the only one he really had a developed relationship with (and her incidentally witnessing psycho Rand more than the others because of that). Condensing it down to just Min would have been absolutely fine with me. Or teasing them all as love interests but ultimately having him end up with only one of them.

Also just like from the perspective that they're trying to make the series more feminist and everything, the idea that his girlfriends now also loving each other is somehow less of a male wish fulfillment situation is funny to me.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Dec 28, 2021

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Sinteres posted:

What's funny about them keeping the harem (even if it's a polycule now instead of a harem) is that getting rid of it entirely is probably one of the biggest changes I would have been totally on board with. I don't think the books even really did a great job of conveying why all those women found him so alluring, or why he'd find it totally impossible to choose between them, with Min being the only one he really had a developed relationship with (and her incidentally witnessing psycho Rand more than the others because of that). Condensing it down to just Min would have been absolutely fine with me. Or teasing them all as love interests but ultimately having him end up with only one of them.

Also just like from the perspective that they're trying to make the series more feminist and everything, the idea that his girlfriends now also loving each other is somehow less of a male wish fulfillment situation is funny to me.

i never thought of any of this, why are you? lol

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Moiraine taking Lan to the Eye will 100% end in Lan's death to Moiraine's way of thinking. Moiraine dying gives him a chance of success since he now has someone else to live for.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Barreft posted:

i never thought of any of this, why are you? lol

Idk, even in the 90's that whole deal felt pretty out of place to me.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Cannot wait to see an under 25 year old Elayne 'into' a 36 year old Min. In the book the entire polycule was within 6 years of each other, from Elayne at 17 to Min at 23 with Rand in the middle at 19.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Nix Panicus posted:

Cannot wait to see an under 25 year old Elayne 'into' a 36 year old Min. In the book the entire polycule was within 6 years of each other, from Elayne at 17 to Min at 23 with Rand in the middle at 19.

25 and 36 isn't all that freakish an age gap.

E: Oops reading comprehension isn't my strong suit. Yeah under 25 starts getting a little weird if it's much under. Is Min really supposed to be 36 though?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Sinteres posted:

E: Oops reading comprehension isn't my strong suit. Yeah under 25 starts getting a little weird if it's much under. Is Min really supposed to be 36 though?

The actress is. The character's age has not been stated on screen

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

silvergoose posted:

They directly hinted at it with Min's vision, the chemistry seemed fine, and Elayne was delayed to season 2 and is cast, not skipped entirely.

ah gently caress i just ran the baby vision in my head again and i didn't catch that it was her baby

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Hollismason posted:

I really want the show down with Moraine using balefire , but dammit they've still Moraine so we're not going to be able to see that in the show.

I'm pretty sure it's just a tied off shield, and they did make a big point about showing that Siuan's knack with the power is untying knots, so I think that there's definitely some potential for her story in the next season.

Rythian
Dec 31, 2007

You take what comes, and the rest is void.

Sinteres posted:

Is Min really supposed to be 36 though?
The actress playing her is 36.

And yeah, the "solution" to the "harem" being "it's cool they're all bi now and gently caress each other AS WELL as Rand!" is weirder than the original, which was already weird enough.

Rythian fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Dec 28, 2021

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Sinteres posted:

Min is supposed to be a little bit older than Rand, 23 vs his 19. In the series theyve aged everyone up a bit, so actor Rand (Josha Stradowski) is 26 and actor Min (Kae Alexander) is 36. The actor they've cast for Elayne (Ceara Coveney) has no age listed, but she's down as 'between 20 and 25' and her headshots look on the younger side of that range

CainFortea posted:

The actress is. The character's age has not been stated on screen

Yeah they didnt put any effort into trying to make her look younger than mid-30s

E: one positive, they narrowed the age gap between Nynaeve and Lan. Instead of 21 years like in the books (24 vs 45) its only 14 years (28 vs 42). Still weird, but better I guess.

Nix Panicus fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Dec 28, 2021

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Khizan posted:

I'm pretty sure it's just a tied off shield, and they did make a big point about showing that Siuan's knack with the power is untying knots, so I think that there's definitely some potential for her story in the next season.

Siuan can't see the shield though its weaved by a man. Unless that's a huge change their making in the show.

I kind of think its leading to Rand removing it with the power, that's the only person really motivated maybe to remove it.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Think there's any chance it ends up with Elayne and Aviendha having a relationship with each other (and Rand) while Min just has one with Rand? They were obviously a lot closer to each other than they were with Min in the books, and especially for Elayne spent more time together than with Rand anyway.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Nix Panicus posted:

Yeah they didnt put any effort into trying to make her look younger than mid-30s

That comes later

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Hollismason posted:

Siuan can't see the shield though its weaved by a man. Unless that's a huge change their making in the show.

I kind of think its leading to Rand removing it with the power, that's the only person really motivated maybe to remove it.

While technically true, we should recall that when Rand was pushing against the shield put on him by the Aes Sedai in LoC he was able to feel the pressure and used that feeling to find where the knots were so he could break out. Likewise show Logain presumably did something similar when he busted out in Ep. 4. Therefore, Moiraine should be able to "feel" the shield the same way from the inside while Siuan might be able to do so from the outside.

Also, as I recall, those tied off weaves eventually deteriorate on their own...Lanfear's shield on Asmodean was only going to last a few months for instance....so ultimately all Moiraine needs to do is not die and run out the clock. Though whether she realizes that or not is another matter entirely.

Dingleberry2
Jul 23, 2001

I sometimes wonder what I'm missing in this show. Alanna and Moraine had chemistry. Step in and Korenne had chemistry. Aram and everyone had chemistry. Min and Rand sat at a table for a minute and barely even made eye contact.

And where are we getting ages from? I thought the show established everyone was 20, and Nynaeve was 5 years older than them. Actor age isn't supposed to equal character age?

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Hollismason posted:

When Rand was shielded in the chest he managed to feel his way through the knots on his shield despite not being able to see them. You wouldn't have to stretch that too far to have Siaun able to do the same thing from the outside of a shield.

jng2058 posted:

Also, as I recall, those tied off weaves eventually deteriorate on their own...Lanfear's shield on Asmodean was only going to last a few months for instance....so ultimately all Moiraine needs to do is not die and run out the clock. Though whether she realizes that or not is another matter entirely.

This depends. Lanfear wove a purposefully lovely shield on Asmodean to restrict him while leaving him able to channel enough to teach. Moghedien, on the other hand, hit Liandrin with a ridiculously complicated invisible shield that's really worse than stilling her, because healing stilling is still easier than unpicking some undetectable triple knotted supershield.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Rand never had a harem. Rand had Min, Min had an open mind, and Aviendha and Elayne had Rand as their mutual side piece.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

So thinking about the criticism "they didn't care about the books" and I think there's something to it that's just being really badly expressed.

It's clear that Rafe and company have actually read the books, but they are evincing remarkably little faith in the printed material's ability to hook viewers without adding crap like "who is the Dragon" or idiocy like Perrin's wife. I'm sure the usual suspects are going to come out of the woodwork and once again explain that these revisions are totally needed for television and because people are apparently too stupid to understand that Perrin might not like violence because violence is bad - but clearly the printed works had something that hooked people that didn't rely on cheap seeming tricks like fakeout deaths*. The fakeout deaths and other stupid tension raising crap give the impression that the showrunners aren't confident that what's in the books is good enough to actually retain viewers and while I think a lot of the book fans aren't great at articulating this this sentiment seems to be resounding throughout the subreddits. I don't see people complaining that Padan Fain is different than the books - though he is - because that actor knocked it out of the park. I do see a lot of people trying to figure out why the hell Perrin is even in the show as they've basically butchered the character with pointless trauma. No one is complaining that the Ishamael confrontation is different than the books because Fares Fares fuckin nailed the temptation scene, but people hate Amalisa's red-hot magic circle because it felt milked for pointless drama with Nynaeve's miraculous fakeout death.

Clearly there is something in the books that attracts people or we wouldn't have enough demand for Brandon Sanderson to finish the series after Robert Jordan's death, but whatever that spark is is not being successfully conveyed by the show. This isn't to say that the show doesn't necessarily have its own thing going for it, but at times it feels like it's using cheap tricks to elide the fact that it's not confident in what it wants to say.

*Ok, aside from Thom Merrilin, but as I recall he didn't reappear for a very long time.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Khizan posted:

This depends. Lanfear wove a purposefully lovely shield on Asmodean to restrict him while leaving him able to channel enough to teach. Moghedien, on the other hand, hit Liandrin with a ridiculously complicated invisible shield that's really worse than stilling her, because healing stilling is still easier than unpicking some undetectable triple knotted supershield.

Still her, then heal her, I assume that'd remove the shield. But you know, it's (book) Liandrin, why'd you want to?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Sinteres posted:

Idk, even in the 90's that whole deal felt pretty out of place to me.

It's based on a real experience from RJ's life where he was going out with two women who knew and arranged the dates each would individually go on because they weren't into each other - he just figured the dragon could do it with 3.