Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

tuo posted:

Gonna put it in a display case, I guess, just have to find one big enough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdOcrUtE-UQ&t=8s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

:negative:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

tuo posted:

Luckily, it actually doesn’t shatter that much (in regard to some MoCs which explode in a thousand parts).

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Mameluke posted:

I bought a couple of their tiny Pokemon models and was impressed with how useful and unconventional some of their parts are. Double-sided 1x1 round plates, studs at an angle, very cool parts.

I'm sure it's a philosophical thing that lego hasn't gone that route, but yeah, mega has some fantastic pieces, especially the double studded plates and 1x1 snot stuff. I'm guessing the clunkiness of having to build around limitations helps create something that is instantly recognizable as lego bricks?

Blue Moonlight posted:

I use IKEA Lack floating shelves for my modulars. Basically perfectly deep enough at 10¼”.

You will want some pretty substantial drywall anchors going on though.

EDIT: I think there are certain Lack shelves that aren’t deep enough, so be sure to double-check your dimensions, but they definitely offer ones deep enough.

We did almost exactly the same thing with our entertainment console! Just have a row of modulars above the tv and several on the stand below it

Terry van Feleday
Jun 6, 2010

Free Your Mind
On a whim I decided to give Lego a try again for the first time since my youth and got the Ninjago set "Skull Sorcerer's Dragon", because it's cool as hell. I feel like Lego has really improved since my time with it in the late 90s - mid 2000s, all the new parts here are so versatile... Here's a mech suit I built with just parts from that set, I'm pretty happy with how the head turned out.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

this rules

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
That's fantastic

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Friggin' HallDENmark Holidays, constantly getting invented to sell more Danes.

E: maybe this will get me to tackle my growing pile of shame.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
I have finished the first half of the FRIENDS Apartment Set, it was nuts how detailed it all is. Like, the kitchen is a spot you could easily overlook, but they added so many small bits and pieces to it that make it work at that size. Except for the bar stools... How did they mess those up so much?

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Does anyone here display their lego sets/modulars on wall shelves like this?

I ask because I want to do something similar, but am having trouble finding shelves that are deep/strong enough for a bunch of sets. Any reccomendations?

I do! This one is from IKEA, the LACK series if I remember properly, and was pretty cheap. I didn't measure when we moved though, so the bridge is lacking the tops of the towers as they hit the ceiling, oops. We have a bunch of other shelves downstairs in the living room, and the MAERSK ship is to my left on a similar shelf. The way they're secured to the mount inside, they can hold a considerable amount of weight if the mounts are properly anchored to studs (as they should be anyway).

Frozen Pizza Party fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Dec 27, 2021

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Frozen Pizza Party posted:

I do! This one is from IKEA, the LACK series if I remember properly, and was pretty cheap. I didn't measure when we moved though, so the bridge is lacking the tops of the towers as they hit the ceiling, oops. We have a bunch of other shelves downstairs in the living room, and the MAERSK ship is to my left on a similar shelf. The way they're secured to the mount inside, they can hold a considerable amount of weight if the mounts are properly anchored to studs (as they should be anyway).

I wasn't gonna get it, but the strings on the Fender set look so tight!

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

HootTheOwl posted:

I wasn't gonna get it, but the strings on the Fender set look so tight!

If I did, I'd have to hang it between the two there, wouldn't make sense anywhere else!

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

tuo posted:

Regarding the AT-AT: it is NOT cat-safe. I repeat, it is NOT cat-safe.

E: gonna rename my cat Rogue 3

this raises the question of how you got a tow line on a cat

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Frozen Pizza Party posted:

Is that a strandbeest?

That's not Lego, is it?

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

The Bloop posted:

Is that a strandbeest?

That's not Lego, is it?

It is, and it is not.

It's this:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0756BD1B7/

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Oh very cool, thanks

Does it actually go in light wind or a fan?

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Do rewards points expire?

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

The Bloop posted:

Oh very cool, thanks

Does it actually go in light wind or a fan?

It is surprisingly agile, you can blow on it and it goes.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

The Voice of Labor posted:

this raises the question of how you got a tow line on a cat

Usually comes preinstalled.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

elf help book posted:

Do rewards points expire?

I think after 18 months of inactivity you'll lose your points yeah

Skios
Oct 1, 2021

Terry van Feleday posted:

On a whim I decided to give Lego a try again for the first time since my youth and got the Ninjago set "Skull Sorcerer's Dragon", because it's cool as hell. I feel like Lego has really improved since my time with it in the late 90s - mid 2000s, all the new parts here are so versatile... Here's a mech suit I built with just parts from that set, I'm pretty happy with how the head turned out.

gently caress, that looks as good as an alt build for a legitimate set. Love the use of the wings as a cloak for the mech. How is the mobility? Are you having any issues with the knee joints?

Terry van Feleday
Jun 6, 2010

Free Your Mind

Skios posted:

gently caress, that looks as good as an alt build for a legitimate set. Love the use of the wings as a cloak for the mech. How is the mobility? Are you having any issues with the knee joints?
Thanks! The amount of articulation is adequate, but it does have big issues with stability, the joints clearly weren't intended to carry this much weight; oddly the ratchets in the hips are a much bigger problem than the balljoint knees, it really likes doing the splits. (also some parts aren't super well attached, the kneepads and hands like to fall off a lot)

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

the last bionicles set, uhuru the hunter or whatever, had a really neat thing on the legs where there were a pair of ball joints for the lower leg.it still had articulation, but the legs could also support the weight of the rest of the figure. I need to dig mine out and review the assembly because I think it's the only way I'm going to be able to get my little cop robot to be able to stand up without resorting to fixed legs

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Compared to Lego and regular kit models, how hard are those Metal Earth kits to put together?
https://www.metalearth.com

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
They are very tedious and I gave up on the one I was doing.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

smackfu posted:

Compared to Lego and regular kit models, how hard are those Metal Earth kits to put together?

oh gently caress those things

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

smackfu posted:

They’re really good at slicing your fingers open.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

smackfu posted:

I've built 3, because people kept giving them to me, and I've stopped building any more people give to me. They suck to build, and they suck to display, and they end up in the crucible with the only difference being if I've sliced myself. So into the melty bin they go.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Hehe, that was pretty consistent. I too got one as a gift, I assume because “it’s like LEGO”. Will probably bin it.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
They’re really cool if you can actually build them without injuring yourself or accidentally breaking off a piece in the process of bending the tiny little tabs that hold them all together, but uhhhhhhh good luck with that.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

These companies pop up all the time, and all of them forget that it's more important to have a durable toy than one that accurately recreates reality. Lego didn't succeed because it made the best models, it succeeded because they made something that's fun to build with.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

smackfu posted:

I used to be into them. They can be really tedious and frustrating but if you have some patience it’s an interesting little project as long as you spend a few bucks on some extra tools. Get a little adjustable table lamp and small scale metal tools (snips, needle nose pliers, flat tweezers).

YanniRotten
Apr 3, 2010

We're so pretty,
oh so pretty
Metal Earth is kinda cool but they fall into a weird place where they're cheaper than many model kits you can buy but are also much much harder.

You can get a decent result if you have a lot of dexterity and the right tools. You can permanently screw up a kit if you do something wrong, metal fatigue means you don't have unlimited chances to disassemble things.

Lego sets I consider to basically have no barrier to success outside of needing to be able to read instructions - you may mess something up but you can always disassemble and try again. Metal Earth is closer to a snap together model kit in terms of precision, although I'd say it is much easier to unfixably break a Metal Earth piece than part of a Gundam. Even if you don't break anything you might have a flimsy result that barely hangs together or doesn't look quite right.

That being said I do like my big (relative to the small one) Millennium Falcon that I did an OK job on.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
Tiago put up a review of the Sonic The Hedgehog set this morning. Gotta admit, Robotnik looks a lot better than I feared based on the promo images. I think he's fine. Still not super thrilled about the set (and its stickers) overall. It seems fine, but not destined to be an iconic classic Ideas set like Barracuda Bay.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
Those metal things seem like Puzz-3D in that the initial/intended result will probably be less impressive over time

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Carbohydrates posted:

Tiago put up a review of the Sonic The Hedgehog set this morning. Gotta admit, Robotnik looks a lot better than I feared based on the promo images. I think he's fine. Still not super thrilled about the set (and its stickers) overall. It seems fine, but not destined to be an iconic classic Ideas set like Barracuda Bay.

I really like it after watching that review. Also wow it's only $70. I thought it was $100 at least.

Not sure if I'll get it. Sonic 2 is very nostalgic for me, but I don't know how much of a draw Sonic is overall. I'll probably impulse buy it at some point lol.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
The metal things are really hard, really annoying, and torture on your fingers. They also require specialized tools because the ones you have for normal models are too big.
That said the display model that one time at the gamestore I worked at looked kinda cool before someone touched and bent it.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

YanniRotten posted:

Metal Earth is kinda cool but they fall into a weird place where they're cheaper than many model kits you can buy but are also much much harder.

You can get a decent result if you have a lot of dexterity and the right tools. You can permanently screw up a kit if you do something wrong, metal fatigue means you don't have unlimited chances to disassemble things.

Lego sets I consider to basically have no barrier to success outside of needing to be able to read instructions - you may mess something up but you can always disassemble and try again. Metal Earth is closer to a snap together model kit in terms of precision, although I'd say it is much easier to unfixably break a Metal Earth piece than part of a Gundam. Even if you don't break anything you might have a flimsy result that barely hangs together or doesn't look quite right.

That being said I do like my big (relative to the small one) Millennium Falcon that I did an OK job on.

Also gently caress the pieces that require rolling

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Futanari Damacy posted:

Those metal things seem like Puzz-3D in that the initial/intended result will probably be less impressive over time

More like putz-3D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Gonna throw my poo poo on the pile. Metal earth is not good. The guy who said buy a set of tools to do them is spot on. They are hard to assemble and require certain tools to do anything. They are, IMO, expert level assemblies. In other words, I threw mine away after mangling it.