Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Shageletic posted:

I did not like Chuck. At. All. And I didn't vibe with the writing in particular.

Also interestingly, according to imdb (I know), Dave Hill wasn't the writer of the last two episodes. Rafe was.

I didn't like Agents of Shield writing either (except parts of S2), so this ofc just personal opinion, but its def depreciating my hype for season 2.

e: where did you get rave reviews of AoS? That's always been a point of contention around these parts.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/marvels_agents_of_shield

I mean, you don't have to like it, but the series objectively got great reviews and audience scores (just like most Marvel stuff does).

specifically the two seasons Rafe worked on,

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/marvels_agents_of_shield/s01

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/marvels_agents_of_shield/s02

I mean, nobody has to like any given show, but there are a lot of shows I don't like that I nevertheless realize are good shows, they're just not for me.

Honestly right now that's kinda how I feel about WoT -- it's a lot more "cranked up to 11 all the time" and rushed than I really enjoy, so far, but that's just how shows are these days, it's what you need to do to grab market share, so that's a me problem not a show problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

th3t00t posted:

I can't tell from your last 2 posts if this is a bit you're doing or if you're serious.

In case you're serious: When Ishy channels it's white because the dark one removes the taint from Saidin for his followers.

I don't see anything on screen that contradicts my theory and quite a bit that supports it, especially the way Ishy is smiling as he "dies". "But in the book...." is a pretty weak counterargument when talking about a show so willing to deviate from the book. :colbert:

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Ok, quote this post by midnight Christmas EST if you want this gangtag added to your profile:

Few rules:

if you already have three gangtags you'll have to ask me to wipe one of them to replace it with this one
the gangtag will link back to this thread
Some people have grandfathered code in their profiles, no guarantees if you're one of those but I'll try to avoid loving it up

I was told to quote this post to get a braid tuggers gang tag, even though christmas is behind us.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Trebuchet King posted:

I was told to quote this post to get a braid tuggers gang tag, even though christmas is behind us.

Last call!

It took a few days for the admins to upload the gang tag to the server, so I'll go through tonight and hit everyone.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Has this been posted recently

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

We need more of those, these books just have so many.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Yes please, dumb book memes own

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/marvels_agents_of_shield

I mean, you don't have to like it, but the series objectively got great reviews and audience scores (just like most Marvel stuff does).

specifically the two seasons Rafe worked on,

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/marvels_agents_of_shield/s01

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/marvels_agents_of_shield/s02

I mean, nobody has to like any given show, but there are a lot of shows I don't like that I nevertheless realize are good shows, they're just not for me.

Honestly right now that's kinda how I feel about WoT -- it's a lot more "cranked up to 11 all the time" and rushed than I really enjoy, so far, but that's just how shows are these days, it's what you need to do to grab market share, so that's a me problem not a show problem.

It's interesting to see that Rafe worked on the first 2 seasons. That show got hosed by the larger battles between Marvel TV and Marvel Cinema (or whatever Feige's group is called). At least I have a lens to compare the writing on WoT now.

Trying to remember my problems with AoS. It didn't really have interesting bad guys (until S2), the dialogue was groan worthy, and it just seemed a little...immature? I dunno its been awhile. I remember being pretty unengaged in their plotting and low tier stakes and whatnot, just kinda seeing how they dealt with the latest Marvel status quo.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Check out this birthday cake :v:

Dingleberry2
Jul 23, 2001

Dave Hill has writing credit for E4, which IMO, had some of the best dialogue (What better revenge against death; Stepin's monologues, Matt's suicide pact, Loial's musings) but IMO I think there's a noticeable contrast between that episode and most of the others. E8 had the line directly from the book from Lan to Nyneave, and Rand's line about the projection of Egwene not being the woman he loved was good, but then it also had the Moiraine's tracking tell, Rand and Egwene carving a paragraph into a tree, etc.

I love the books. I like the show, but I do hope the writing gets an uptick in overall quality, and they don't start just having ridiculous displays of power because they always have to one up the previous season. Which I realize the books did, but the books it felt earned, Rand's Tarwin Gap moment not withstanding, but even that was explained by a one-time use of a pool of untainted saidar.

I want my WoT to match GoT in quality of pacing and writing. I'll even lump S7 and 8 of GoT in there to average it out, because that would still be a notch above the writing of S1 of WoT.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Well, my wife doesn't like the show but it has motivated her to finish reading the series, she's on book 7 now.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Shageletic posted:

It's interesting to see that Rafe worked on the first 2 seasons. That show got hosed by the larger battles between Marvel TV and Marvel Cinema (or whatever Feige's group is called). At least I have a lens to compare the writing on WoT now.

Trying to remember my problems with AoS. It didn't really have interesting bad guys (until S2), the dialogue was groan worthy, and it just seemed a little...immature? I dunno its been awhile. I remember being pretty unengaged in their plotting and low tier stakes and whatnot, just kinda seeing how they dealt with the latest Marvel status quo.

Yeah, early AoS the gang are pretty dumb and childish. I think they were aiming for inexperienced and naive and just overshot the mark. S2 is pretty solid and has some great moments, but it's not til S3 that I'd say the show itself becomes great.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Dingleberry2 posted:

Dave Hill has writing credit for E4, which IMO, had some of the best dialogue (What better revenge against death; Stepin's monologues, Matt's suicide pact, Loial's musings) but IMO I think there's a noticeable contrast between that episode and most of the others. E8 had the line directly from the book from Lan to Nyneave, and Rand's line about the projection of Egwene not being the woman he loved was good, but then it also had the Moiraine's tracking tell, Rand and Egwene carving a paragraph into a tree, etc.

This is my favorite bit of dialogue on the show. It actually made me feel things lol.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Explains a lot, I despised Agents of Shield and gave up on it after the first two seasons.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Ok, quote this post by midnight Christmas EST if you want this gangtag added to your profile:

Few rules:

if you already have three gangtags you'll have to ask me to wipe one of them to replace it with this one
the gangtag will link back to this thread
Some people have grandfathered code in their profiles, no guarantees if you're one of those but I'll try to avoid loving it up

Sneaking in

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Nitrousoxide posted:

Sure looked like it as described in the books. It's not like Ishamael is dead since he wasn't physically there anyway. And if he was, he'd be just as dead with balefire as with a regular fire weave.

The books describe balefire as a bar of light, like white hot iron.

I don't think that can be described as a bar of light.

If it is balefire, they've changed every aspect of it except for the fact that you have to channel to make it.

Tinydryad
Aug 13, 2004

This newb claimed by ChlamydiaJones; remember, bad things happen in theaters sometimes.

Last call!

It took a few days for the admins to upload the gang tag to the server, so I'll go through tonight and hit everyone.

I'd like a tag, even though I'm a big ole' Lurky McLurkerson.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

CainFortea posted:

If it is balefire, they've changed every aspect of it except for the fact that you have to channel to make it.

It's with one hand, so that is clearly a Big Bang Attack.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

It's with one hand, so that is clearly a Big Bang Attack.

clearly a Kamehameha Wave

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Finally got to sit and watch it and - I liked it! You could really tell where they were creaking around having to greenscreen so much, having limited locations, and Barney leaving but I thought it mostly worked. I agree that I think it would have been better if the channelers had been on the wall, but other than that I didn't have huge complaints. Except that the trollocs looked really really bad.

That said, you could absolutely see where the covid stuff kicked in and it did hurt the quality a lot. I thought they were on a more or less upward arc up until the end of episode 6, but then it clearly became uneven.

I thought Rand was really good for most of this episode and was perfectly happy with how special they made him feel. The girls didn't actually do anything except act as batteries; he made the actual decision. I do wonder what they plan to do with Mat and the White Tower...why would he care about it? Does he want to be gentled maybe?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

clearly a Kamehameha Wave

If its one handed your dad needs to help, and I don't see Tam...

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

jng2058 posted:

Hence why the whole confrontation was happening in their heads. Neither Rand nor Moiraine see Ishy until they're touching the seal. Notice that when Ishy shields Moiraine, the color of his weave is entirely white...not the white covered by black that the show uses to indicate Saidin. It's the white of Saidar. He's mentally manipulating her into shielding herself. Likewise when Rand balefires Ishy, he doesn't actually hit him....because Ishy isn't really there. He hits the seal, which is what blows the hole open that Moiraine and Lan find after the fact. And also why Ishy's got that poo poo eating grin on as he "dies" because he's manipulated Rand into doing what he wants...to weaken the seal.

I like this theory but is it even possible for someone to shield themself?

Hexel fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Dec 28, 2021

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

THAT she was shielded is clear, rather than being stilled

Here's an HD video of the full sequence https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5kriqy7-Xk

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Hexel posted:

I like this theory but is it even possible for someone to shield themself?

I mean, maybe? It never happens in the books except maaaaybe those times Rand loses the ability to channel due to excess taint or self-doubt or whatever. Though thinking about it, there is that whole "can't do to myself what I can do to others" thing that prevents self-healing and being able to fly even if you are strong enough to lift a person sized object with weaves of air. So that is a strike against my idea, to be honest. But if it's more of a psychological thing...like imposing a mental block on her like Nynaeve's anger block or the times Rand is too messed up psychologically to channel...then it could still be possible. :shrug:

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

jng2058 posted:

I mean, maybe? It never happens in the books except maaaaybe those times Rand loses the ability to channel due to excess taint or self-doubt or whatever. Though thinking about it, there is that whole "can't do to myself what I can do to others" thing that prevents self-healing and being able to fly even if you are strong enough to lift a person sized object with weaves of air. So that is a strike against my idea, to be honest. But if it's more of a psychological thing...like imposing a mental block on her like Nynaeve's anger block or the times Rand is too messed up psychologically to channel...then it could still be possible. :shrug:

Fools just never thought to try and lift the earth in order to fly.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I wonder if you could pick up something you're standing on

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

CainFortea posted:

Yeah not balefire. I think it's quite clear it wasn't balefire. Just an enormous amount of the power thrown in the direction of the problem, exactly what Ishy told him to do, except it didn't kill him it broke the seal.

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

It seems like this should be a work around, but no one ever uses or tries it so I dunno. There is a lot of tactical realism thoughts about using the OP that the characters never seem to be creative with or (minus mr new guy Androl) think of.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I've watched his scene a couple times now, and I'm on record as saying I love this interpretation of Ishamael. The look of confusion, almost bafflement as Moiraine tries it on is perfect.

Edit: its interesting that he doesn't kill her, as well. Or even really harm her.

Aside from the unfortunate he squeezes with the True Power, and Moiraine herself in TDR, does Ishamael actually directly hurt or kill anyone that isn't Rand?

Comrade Blyatlov fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Dec 28, 2021

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Links flying machine in BotW lmao

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I've watched his scene a couple times now, and I'm on record as saying I love this interpretation of Ishamael. The look of confusion, almost bafflement as Moiraine tries it on is perfect.

Edit: its interesting that he doesn't kill her, as well. Or even really harm her.

Aside from the unfortunate he squeezes with the True Power, and Moiraine herself in TDR, does Ishamael actually directly hurt or kill anyone that isn't Rand?

We counting when he's Moridin or just OG Ishy? Moridin definitely tortured the hell out of Cyndane and Moghedien. And he murders Alanna on-screen during the last battle.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

jng2058 posted:

I think the biggest strike against it being she shielded herself is that shielding doesn't prevent them from seeing weaves, just from doing anything. So if she was shielded, she'd be able to see and feel it, and maybe it would take a while to untie it but she'd know what was going on.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Zore posted:

We counting when he's Moridin or just OG Ishy? Moridin definitely tortured the hell out of Cyndane and Moghedien. And he murders Alanna on-screen during the last battle.

You're right, he does.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Hollismason posted:

What are some pro scenes that people want in the series before it gets prematurely canceled? I'm personally hoping we at least get to Rhuidean and Asmodean duel.

the rhuidean scene was his best work, with the "i have won again ltt" a close second

the last episode had a segment of the latter one where rand and egg wayne were playing house, but the other segments would require too much budget, so we won't probably see them

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Yeah I guess with what people have posted Moraine is just shielded. I still think its a bad decision to make it so Moraine can't channel. I dunno I just didn't like that at all.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Hollismason posted:

Yeah I guess with what people have posted Moraine is just shielded. I still think its a bad decision to make it so Moraine can't channel. I dunno I just didn't like that at all.

i wonder if they'll keep the 'finnlands now

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Hollismason posted:

She kinda doesn't do anything with the power between the eye and blasting darkhounds though.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
If they're willing to make that huge of a change to the end of Eye of The World then I think that we'll probably see other huge changes to the show honestly. Which kind of sucks because a lot of stuff in the books are really loving good without having to add needless conflict to the show.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Death, Lews Therin whispered.
Rand forgot everything else. Death? What do you mean?
Death comes.

What kind of death? Rand demanded. What are you talking about?
Who are you? Where am I?

Rand felt as though a fist had clutched his throat. He had been sure, but. . . . This was the first time Lews Therin had said anything to him, something clearly and plainly addressed to him. I am Rand al’Thor. You are inside my head. Inside . . . ? No! I am myself! I am Lews Therin Telamon! I am meeeeeeeeee! The cry faded away into the distance.”

:laugh: Reached this part in my reread. Almost to the box!

Hexel fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Dec 28, 2021

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I kind of wonder how they're going to depict Rands descent into Madness. He's pretty bugfuck crazy towards the end of Dragon Reborn, where we really don't even see him. He's not super crazy in The Great Hunt though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Hollismason posted:

I kind of wonder how they're going to depict Rands descent into Madness. He's pretty bugfuck crazy towards the end of Dragon Reborn, where we really don't even see him. He's not super crazy in The Great Hunt though.

Yeah RJ kinda backed off on that once he figured out how much further he had to go