Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The friendly looking robots make perfect sensecwhen you consider they need to live among humans and even the modern world shows us we are more likely to be friendly to Disneybirb over Tentacle Death Squid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

thrawn527 posted:

How would you feel about a giant Agent Smith made up of regular sized Agent Smiths?

i can't see how that can be done. we just don't have the technology

plz someone post the clip

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

ImpAtom posted:

The friendly looking robots make perfect sensecwhen you consider they need to live among humans and even the modern world shows us we are more likely to be friendly to Disneybirb over Tentacle Death Squid

Sorry bud we ran out of robot bodies at the moment but we do have some old sentinels laying out. We can like spray paint a smiley face?

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

thrawn527 posted:

How would you feel about a giant Agent Smith made up of regular sized Agent Smiths?
I think you're referring to one of the video games but I can't help but think of Enthiran https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDHnJvboy0c

I swear the whole 10 minutes is worth a watch

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Shageletic posted:

i can't see how that can be done. we just don't have the technology

plz someone post the clip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fgg7FdznyQg

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Swap out the red lights on a sentinel for gentle blue, the spray painted smiley face, extremely friend shaped now.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

thrawn527 posted:

Though on your Bond comment, yeah, I bet people who saw For Your Eyes Only as their first Bond movie were a little confused who the bald guy in the wheel chair was at the beginning, and why Bond dropped him into a smokestack before getting on with the movie. They showed him at Tracy's grave, but that's a weird thing to start your movie with before moving on and not referencing it again. It's almost like it helps if you've seen the previous movies.

The opening of For Your Eyes Only is effectively just a short film that quickly (re-)establishes the bond character for the audience: he's a secret agent with a dead wife who battles cartoonish super-villains in lieu of having much of a personal life. The whole thing was intended as a retcon / 'soft reboot' to reintroduce Moore as Bond in a more grounded narrative.

You don't need to know who "Blofeld" is, and knowing as much probably even detracts from the sequence by calling even more attention to how the character's face is disguised, how this short film doesn't work very well as an epilogue to OHMSS, etc. Audiences at the time might have been confused themselves, because Blofeld was already killed by Bond in Diamonds Are Forever - a film released a decade earlier, before the Moore run. Killing Blofeld again was also done to resolve a legal dispute over the rights to the character.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
We've entered the stage where SMG doesn't like a movie, can't put it into a good theory, and write reams of completely made up poo poo about a different movie they're mad about.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Shiroc posted:

We've entered the stage where SMG doesn't like a movie, can't put it into a good theory, and write reams of completely made up poo poo about a different movie they're mad about.

Everything I've written is both true and accurate.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Everything I've written is both true and accurate.

Yes everyone knows you view everything you say as canon to the Zizek Extended Universe.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

No, as a father of two kids under 5, the week of Christmas, I did not, IN FACT, watch between 6-8 hours of other movies to prepare for a movie.

Like, the fact you think that's a reasonable thing people WILL be doing is laughable. The movie was packed full of "nostalgia" so it could say "heh, nostalgia, am I right?" and it fell flat. The movie was rushed. The movie was a mess. The movie was both a "gently caress you" to fans AND to the studio.

On one hand, props for that. On the other, a pill that's meaningless.

Sure people have busy lives. But the fact that some seem to think you should be able to watch a 4th sequel in a series and not need to have any understanding of the past films is um quite interesting.

But in any case if all you got was that these films are nostalgia bait, then I think you are missing a lot of the film. Its ok to say you dont remember certain aspects and some things dont make sense because of that. Simply ask questions like others here.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

HorseLord posted:

You asked for a summary of the backstory using only things that can be seen in matrix 4. I gave you exactly what you asked for.

Now we've established that all the times you said you couldn't pay attention or understand this movie you were lying, what is it you're actually trying to achieve here? Is it just being annoying?

This is why no one should have entertained his "challenge" for a summary. It was always a deflection to just argue over the details of the summary. Instead we can just talk about the larger point of sequels and needed backstory.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Resurrections is probably closest to Godfather 3 as far as commercial pressures resulting in a long delayed sequel to an already complete story. They're both epilogues that end up retreading the previous movies, hinge heavily on flashbacks and the previous stories to give context and try to say something about what the main characters would be so long after the main events. Both could be kind of standalone but are better as epilogues. Godfather 3 ends up reiterating that Michael cannot escape what he did, Resurrections says maybe the same but gives the characters a happier ending anyway.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

I am happy with this, that they want to involve her. Through I hope if they make another that we go in a completely different direction with a new cast. Let Neo and Trinity have their happy ending.

Edit: one thing I’d like to have explored is if Neo had gone “Why did you get me? Do I only exist to do this poo poo again and fight? Are Trinity and I like Sisyphus for you? Why you have loving Neologists are you nuts?”

Gatts fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Dec 28, 2021

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

checkplease posted:

Sure people have busy lives. But the fact that some seem to think you should be able to watch a 4th sequel in a series and not need to have any understanding of the past films is um quite interesting.

It's just good storytelling.

For example, the first Alien movie I've ever watched was Alien3.The film makes total sense (and in many respects works better) when viewed as a standalone film, because the central question is whether the Ripley character is insane or not. Is she actually being pursued by an alien 'dragon', did a spaceship accident mess up her brain, or is it both? The few direct references to the previous films read as unreliable narration. So, regardless of how you interpret the film, all the information needed to understand the film's narrative can be found in the film itself.

There is absolutely nothing in Alien3 like the scene in Matrix 4 where a dude cosplaying as a random homeless dude shows up and starts ranting about texting, and he's intended to be literally a werewolf, and then he just disappears.

In this case, starting from the very beginning, Tom Anderson's videogame is not very well-explained. Evidently, it's literally made out of the architect's code from the first matrixes. But how would we know? There's no visual difference between it and the rest of the film. Then, the "modal" doesn't resemble the 'ingame footage" clips repurposed from past films. It instead looks exactly like the new-matrix footage that Bugs flashes back to while explaining that she used to be a window washer.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
What SMG is describing is basic storytelling. It is true the Matrix 4 relies on previous knowledge of the original trilogy and within itself didn’t establish what or who some of this is. He is right that it would make for a stronger movie by doing the fundamentals. But in todays environment of Marvel movies I don’t think this is that big a deal. Most of it is still in public consciousness.

There are better arguments or flaws to be discussed.

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014

The argument is that Matrix 4 doesn't provide sufficient information to understand its plot. This has been demonstrated by how, using only information provided in Matrix 4, you got the overall plot wrong. By giving me what I'd asked for, you have 'proven my point'.

No, I didn't get the overall plot wrong. You made a big show of "correcting" me but all you really did was elaborate on details that I kept brief.

This is the last time that I will reply to you because you are dishonest.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

HorseLord posted:

No, I didn't get the overall plot wrong. You made a big show of "correcting" me but all you really did was elaborate on details that I kept brief.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Sorry bud we ran out of robot bodies at the moment but we do have some old sentinels laying out. We can like spray paint a smiley face?

Thats Chappie

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014

Nah, the last time.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Maarak posted:

The first thirty minutes or so was a good short film, followed by yet another Matrix sequel. The film shares a lot with Wes Craven's New Nightmare, Gremlins 2, Alien 4, and Spaceballs but I'm not sure it even has the guts of the latter in terms of auto-critical self awareness.

I've never seen Alien 4, now I am tempted to.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

Gatts posted:

What SMG is describing is basic storytelling. It is true the Matrix 4 relies on previous knowledge of the original trilogy and within itself didn’t establish what or who some of this is. He is right that it would make for a stronger movie by doing the fundamentals. But in todays environment of Marvel movies I don’t think this is that big a deal. Most of it is still in public consciousness.

There are better arguments or flaws to be discussed.

You and SMG have good points about films being to act as stand alone, but i am not sure that necessarily makes this film better. Different for sure and likely more approachable. But I really like that the film jumps in and let’s me use my existing knowledge. The fact that Merv can jump in and do his thing without needing to re-explain him is great. The film can just do things with these old characters and concepts aided by our previous knowledge.

I think that most just remember the first matrix. It is by far the most popular so this understandable. No one is confused by the idea of a Morpheus looking for neo. And when the Oracle is mentioned, no one is like who is this character.

But Lana and writers are clearly treating all sequels with equal importance to the first, so they will mention and use those old characters all the same.

Star Wars does the same thing. Boba fett is getting a new show despite a very small part in the second and third film. It just works here because he is much more popular than our favorite french from the matrix.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Spacebump posted:

I've never seen Alien 4, now I am tempted to.

It has some cool ideas but the execution is lacking. Still worth a curiosity watch but it is easily the least interesting film in the 'main' Alien series. (Including the new Scott ones)

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014

Gatts posted:

I am happy with this, that they want to involve her. Through I hope if they make another that we go in a completely different direction with a new cast. Let Neo and Trinity have their happy ending.

good god no, I mean where could it even end up? Its either going to be a retread of a guy getting redpilled and flushed into the sewers to become hackerman, or a pointless origin story for switch and apoc.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
If it means anything, my wife tapped out of Matrix 4 halfway through because she had no earthly idea of what was going on and was totally confused. She had seen all 3 originals when they came out but hadn't watched them since then and in fact remarked "I wish I remembered what happened in the first 3".

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I dont think we have to worry about what a Matrix 5 would look like one way or the other with the way this one is performing.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Shiroc posted:

Resurrections is probably closest to Godfather 3 as far as commercial pressures resulting in a long delayed sequel to an already complete story. They're both epilogues that end up retreading the previous movies, hinge heavily on flashbacks and the previous stories to give context and try to say something about what the main characters would be so long after the main events. Both could be kind of standalone but are better as epilogues. Godfather 3 ends up reiterating that Michael cannot escape what he did, Resurrections says maybe the same but gives the characters a happier ending anyway.

Sounds more like Force Awakens to me. Reset the status quo so we can keep playing in the sandbox.

There’s a great review from Hideo Kojima about TFA and this type of storytelling when it first came out, but of course if you google “Hideo Kojima Force Awakens” all you get is click bait articles about the totally cool Hideo Easter egg, no mention of his review at all.

E: looks like Hideo was talking about Last Jedi, not TFA, but the point still stands.

Hideo Kojima posted:

The revolutionary age of toppling kings is past. Star "Wars" has entered a new era of festivity, welcome to one and all. The "all flash and no blood" red plumes on the salt planet signify this change of stance. To ensure the stability and prosperity of the kingdom, a festival is held each year as part of a never-ending celebration. This is what it means for Disney, not George Lucas, to helm the Star Wars franchise. In the magic kingdom anyone can become prince or princess, no blood is spilled and there are no revolutions.

The full interview was for Rolling Stone, but it’s no longer on their website. Luckily Detective No. 27 quoted the whole thing for posterity.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3837020&perpage=40&noseen=1&pagenumber=124#post479765612

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Dec 29, 2021

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
It's interesting they say they want to do another one with Lana when this tanked at the box office (although doing better internationally than domestically), I imagine it's probably performing quite well on HBOMax though

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

ruddiger posted:

Sounds more like Force Awakens to me. Reset the status quo so we can keep playing in the sandbox.

There’s a great review from Hideo Kojima about TFA and this type of storytelling when it first came out, but of course if you google “Hideo Kojima Force Awakens” all you get is click bait articles about the totally cool Hideo Easter egg, no mention of his review at all.

Force Awakens is a bad comparison because it wasn't a hard reset and it actually expanded on the events of the previous movies while moving the world forward. If they do go into making Matrix 5-6 about fighting the machines and Smith again, then yeah, maybe it'll feel like that.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
now that I've watched Resurrections I have realized that I'm ready for Constantine 2

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014
I liked this one because it was a directors commentary on 20 years of people talking about the first 3 films and also what it's like to work in the hollywood system. I'm not sure that there's anything to make a Matrix 5 about.

There are lots of things people wanted to see in resurrections that they're mad they didn't, but it represents those people as the fat annoying goon that does a bullet time impression and makes neo want to die.

I know what would make a shitload of money. A sequel that does a ghostbusters afterlife style nostalgic deification of steven spielberg's original 1999 the matrix. You can have an annoying kid pull a dust sheet off the Nebuchadnezzar and hold up a head jack to the camera like it's a chunk of the true cross. people will eat it up.

HorseLord fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Dec 28, 2021

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

HorseLord posted:

The baddies aren’t studying Neo; they literally created him - a fact that’s not stated in this movie, outside a single vague line about ‘rumours that Neo was working with the machines all along.’

That’s not a minor detail; the entire movie is about the baddies trying to get Tom back into the pod for a reason. If you don’t know what the reason is, then you don’t know the antagonists’ actual motivations. You also consequently know much less about the protagonists’ motivations for opposing the antagonists.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The baddies aren’t studying Neo; they literally created him - a fact that’s not stated in this movie, outside a single vague line about ‘rumours that Neo was working with the machines all along.’

That’s not a minor detail; the entire movie is about the baddies trying to get Tom back into the pod for a reason. If you don’t know what the reason is, then you don’t know the antagonists’ actual motivations. You also consequently know much less about the protagonists’ motivations for opposing the antagonists.

Whoa

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

If it means anything, my wife tapped out of Matrix 4 halfway through because she had no earthly idea of what was going on and was totally confused. She had seen all 3 originals when they came out but hadn't watched them since then and in fact remarked "I wish I remembered what happened in the first 3".

A friend of mine had a similar statement after I explained a few of the old characters to him.

A more successful matrix 4 would have just done the meta stuff with callbacks purely to the first film. This is one that most people remember without watching again, so likely less confusion. But the creators love all their films. And I think it’s a more complete world to reference a bit of all 3.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I was poking around to see if Lilly had said anything about this film and I wound up stumbling on this quote from Lana and I think it pretty well explains why I felt the end of this movie hit so strongly. There's something kinda powerful about a creator going through this process and deciding to end their movie with two characters that had died, flying hand-in-hand off to their happy ending that they didn't get the first time.

https://twitter.com/Thatoneguy64/status/1474095821822074882

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
The scene where Smith shoots the analyst, and the few seconds before that, where he is holding the cat honest to God is maybe the worst thing I've seen in a major release. It looks like parody. It looks like Threat Level Midnight.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Slugworth posted:

The scene where Smith shoots the analyst, and the few seconds before that, where he is holding the cat honest to God is maybe the worst thing I've seen in a major release. It looks like parody. It looks like Threat Level Midnight.

yeah, it owned

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014
why say that neo wasn't brought back to life to be studied even though the analyst said that's why he was and that it was really expensive and was difficult to convince his bosses that it could have a worthwhile result

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Some of you guys just can't appreciate a good gently caress-around vanity project and it shows. Lana made this movie for herself and doesn't give a drat if you like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014
I think it's more than that she didn't give a gently caress if people liked it. She put people who enthusastically liked the first three for shallow reasons in as antagonists.