Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Loved seeing Gammoreans as competent fighters. The most jarring thing for me was the Boston Dynamics dog droids, definitely felt too earthy. Solid episode, looking forward to the next one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henker
May 5, 2009

The fight choreography definitely felt a bit underwhelming. It doesn't help that recently I've watched multiple things with amazing fight choreography (Warrior, Arcane, The Last Duel).

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

I enjoyed the first episode! Not as solid a series opener as episode one of the Mandalorian, but fun. I really like Boba sparing the Tusken kid and then tolerating them as a "guard" and bragging about killing the sand creature. The innate dad instinct of Mandalorians.

Sandtaur looked real stupid though.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Vintersorg posted:

What the hell was the point of that scene? I guess it’ll pay off later with whoever that gang is.

To alert the audience to the existence of space ninjas

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
One thing I did notice was that the fight choreography really got better once they got the main actors' helmets on lol

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Radio! posted:

Sandtaur

Thank you for this.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Captain Splendid posted:

To alert the audience to the existence of space ninjas

Oh not them - I meant the gang tagging that desert homestead. They lingered on them putting their symbol there.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Megillah Gorilla posted:

O'l Rubber Fingers.

Didn't even mean the fingers, I loved them I like if they are canon. But there was a shot where they were digging, and there seemed to be rips and tears in the garment and the underlying "skin" just peeled out. Again, though, I mostly chuckled and thought "yeah, funny no one catched that".

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BBhNkywMJY&t=82s

:thunk:

Dodecahedron
Nov 29, 2004

Polycahedric Perfection

Dave Syndrome posted:

The theme works much better in combination with the visuals than standalone. Still,

I thought the same! Pretty cool.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

tuo posted:

Didn't even mean the fingers, I loved them I like if they are canon. But there was a shot where they were digging, and there seemed to be rips and tears in the garment and the underlying "skin" just peeled out. Again, though, I mostly chuckled and thought "yeah, funny no one catched that".

Oh, I thought that was just cause they were captured? I saw the orange skin. Or was there a shot with human skin? haha

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I thought it was great. We've needed a "what happened to Boba after ROTJ" since 1983 and we are finally getting it. Since Fett showed up in Mando with a gaffi stick I figured there would be a story with the Tuskens and we are getting just that.

The new desert creature was interesting, it seems to be kind of inspired by Tharks from Barsoom.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
I totally get where the criticisms are coming from, some shots had zero sense of depth to them at all, the fight scenes were kinda 'eh' and I'm not that interested in the post-Mando crime lord stuff. I do, however, really dig all the Sandpeople stuff, I find that much more interesting and looking forward to seeing more of it. In any case, a weak opening isn't the end of the world, hopefully things get better from here.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

mcmagic posted:

One thing I did notice was that the fight choreography really got better once they got the main actors' helmets on lol

Not to mention Fennec's sick trainers during the parkour bit

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I thought it was great. We've needed a "what happened to Boba after ROTJ" since 1983 and we are finally getting it. Since Fett showed up in Mando with a gaffi stick I figured there would be a story with the Tuskens and we are getting just that.

The new desert creature was interesting, it seems to be kind of inspired by Tharks from Barsoom.

I was kind of frustrated by the flashbacks, since it told us exactly no new information that we hadn't already been handed by inference from The Mandalorian. Boba fought his way out of the sarlacc, was horribly scarred by its digestive acid, lost his armor to Jawa looters, and was taken in by Tuskens and learned their ways. They already told us all this. I assume this is for people who were waiting for this show and somehow didn't want to watch the one before it.

Super-digging the design of the Tusken chieftain, and all the other little bits everyone's already said. I come down as pro-Boston Dynamics dogbots, but maybe because I'm old enough they still seem pretty far out and future-y to me.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Was rather nice to see more tusken clothing variety beyond "sandy brown"

Cool way to set the tribes apart

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I thought it was... fine, and agree with the criticisms already posted.

I'm not sure that 'cheap' is the right word to describe it. It is a show that only exists because The Mandalorian was so incredibly popular, so every element about it felt like a slightly hollow echo of the much better show we were all hoping it would equal. I think that echoing of The Mandalorian is why it feels cheap.

I also feel like we are about to see an entire season that does the 'stories across two different timelines where the conclusion of the earlier timeline reveals how the hero gets out of their predicament at the climax of the later timeline' thing and that poo poo is almost always lazy and bad.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Madurai posted:

I was kind of frustrated by the flashbacks, since it told us exactly no new information that we hadn't already been handed by inference from The Mandalorian.

Not sure we're ever going to get a streaming service IP genre show that is just tightly written & to the point. Gotta just enjoy all the meandering and stuff. I think what they are doing with these flashbacks is to show why Boba would change careers, the ordeal he went through. Yea you can infer that some poo poo went down by his appearance in mando, but there is clearly going to be more to the tusken raider stuff than just "oh he has a gaffi stick so he probably dealt with some tuskens" like you get from Mando. i think you can be a bit more generous to the creators here, its not like theyre just backwriting how he got the stick. They are adding more depth & color to the tuskens like we got to see in the prequels & mando.

And I mean come on, they werent NOT gonna show him escaping the sarlacc its literally why this show was created. There was an old EU story I enjoyed where the sarlacc could like telepathically communicate with its victims where boba talked to it a bunch before escaping but desperate stomach boba was good too.

I like the constant characterization of jawas as little assholes, and not subtitling a lot of the alien language stuff. Boba is dealing with a bunch of bullshit and he is in over his head and we are on the same level as he is.

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Dec 29, 2021

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I appreciate that they're continuing the Mandalorian trend of showing artwork over the credits. Now if only they would stop trying to autoskip the credits so I can listen to the music.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/SamWitwer/status/1476257135986044928

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Vintersorg posted:

Oh not them - I meant the gang tagging that desert homestead. They lingered on them putting their symbol there.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I think I figured out why it was just okay to me: there's no hook. We don't know why he wants to be a crimelord instead of just looting / robbing everyone and retiring. Mando ep1 had a good hook. This didn't give the audience a reason to care about whatever he's doing at all. Maybe they could have included that instead of some bacta flashbacks.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I think I figured out why it was just okay to me: there's no hook. We don't know why he wants to be a crimelord instead of just looting / robbing everyone and retiring. Mando ep1 had a good hook. This didn't give the audience a reason to care about whatever he's doing at all. Maybe they could have included that instead of some bacta flashbacks.

Should have done a 2 episode premiere assuming the hook is on the next one.

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
I've seen Filoni spin gold from straw before. This first episode was a lot of straw but that's not necessarily the end of the world.

The Good:
-The apothecary from Lodge 49 is the mayor's majordomo and he is a delight to see. I hope he gets positioned as a regular character. It would be fun to see him in more of a villain role, really ham it up.
-Tuskan camp was cool and all the scenes with them were neat. Not coincidentally, these scenes also gave Boba a reason for doing what he was doing with a clear beginning, middle and end.
-Goro thing had a nice Harryhausen feel and was very cool.

The Bad:
-Boba should have stayed dead. I get why they brought him back, he's just too cool looking and too popular but he's a shambling zombie with no reason for existing. That isn't a great place to start a show.
-I don't buy Boba having a heart of gold. Like, the bounty hunter who has to be warned not to disintegrate their target and is driven by concern of profit over people is now a softie?
-The ninja fight was pretty uninspired.
-Basically everything in the Mos was just 'meh'. This is the reverse of the Tuskan situation where Boba was just sorta doing things. The whole "heart of gold" thing doesn't really work with "being a crime lord". Why didn't he kill Bib Fortuna and walk away? If he wants to walk and be a man of the people, that would fit. Or he can be an effective crime lord with all that it entails. It's just sort of a mess. I get that it is a kid's show, so taking a villain to an anti-hero to a hero is what they have to do for like standards and poo poo (plus Disney). It is a tough circle to square and they didn't manage it in the first episode.

It's pretty but why do I care? I found my attention wandering a lot.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Maybe I'm a grump or something but I thought this episode sucked.

The dialogue in the throne room was ridiculous, especially when Fennec leaned over and made the most obvious point in the world to Fett, who I guess has the intelligence of a six year old for that scene. The action was all toothless, the music aside from the main themes was forgettable (compared to The Mandalorian, which had a stupendous score), the story was uninteresting and went nowhere, there's apparently infinite water about 4 inches under the sand more or less anywhere you look on Tatooine, Fett thinks he has a better chance with the Tusken Raiders than heading over to that moisture farmer's place to call someone on the telephone... what a mess.

It looks great, though - like with The Mandalorian it's fun to just watch what is effectively more '70s-'80s era Star Wars on the screen - and I can't fault the casting or the acting, although there wasn't much of either.

It's kind of a bummer Temuera Morrison has to look like the engineer from Prometheus who had an accident trying to make French fries and who is burned all over, but I guess you gotta sell that sarlaac!

I'm not the only one, then.

The complete lack of dialogue throughout the beginning of the episode would have been a great counterpoint to some intelligent dialogue in the scenes immediately following, but neither the writing nor Ming-Na Wen seemed especially capable of delivering. When Boba is initially drained from the bacta tank and says something to Fennec, her staggered timing and choice of dialogue to say "Time to go," and not "It's time to go," had the feeling of someone (either a writer or the actor) not knowing how basic human interactions work. It was robotic in an "I'm just getting paid to be here, I'm not getting paid to care," kind of way that set the tone for the rest of the episode.

And the expedited rush to explain how Fett made it out of the sarlaac in three shots or less had the feeling of those cheap halloween mystery box gags you set up for elementary school aged kids. E.g., put your hand behind this curtain and feel the snakes (cold spaghetti), witches eyeballs (peeled grapes), and boogers (raisins in honey.) Like, okay, in the festering gut of an immortal sand worm, you and the other victim are both standing on a hard surface and there's enough air that the insides flap like curtains. And we get it bro, you vape. Not sure how that gave you the strength to punch through a living animal but okay. And how does he seemingly weigh 50lbs more than when he fell in? I can only suspend my disbelief so far.

And how the gently caress is his head covered in scars from the sarlacc stomach acid or whatever when he was wearing his helmet the entire goddamn time?

And what the gently caress happened to the Twi'leks? Bib Fortuna was a creepy sawtoothed monster that couldn't speak english and had glowing red eyes. All of the twi'leks in this episode were basically normal milquetoast humans with body paint and pointy hats.

And maybe this is an artifact of using the 'volume' as a filming stage, but the night scenes at sandperson camp all had a weird glow coming from top of frame that seemed like light bleed-in from the studio wasn't taken into account. It all seemed very cheap, for how much money Disney has.

Also, PARKOUR! PARKOUR!!

I feel like the comic book nerd from the Simpsons complaining about the rib xylophone but wow I did not enjoy this.

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Dec 29, 2021

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Vitruvian Manic posted:

-I don't buy Boba having a heart of gold. Like, the bounty hunter who has to be warned not to disintegrate their target and is driven by concern of profit over people is now a softie?
Like it or not, this characterization goes back to the Clone Wars.

He definitely was looking for revenge against Mace Windy for killing Jango, and maybe the Jedi in general, but he was not keen on many of his mentor, Aura Sing's schemes, especially if they involved killing clones which be considered to be his brothers.

The trick, of course, is how his "heart of gold" is different from Djarins.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Vintersorg posted:

It's clearly two mirrored Js, meaning the final bad guy will be either JJ Abrams or Jar Jar Binks.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Dave Syndrome posted:

It's clearly two mirrored Js, meaning the final bad guy will be either JJ Abrams or Jar Jar Binks.

Jar Jar Abrams of course

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Vintersorg posted:

Here's the answer, I guess

So the symbol is just 'K', Not sure if that's someone's initial or something else?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Moon Slayer posted:

I can not wrap my head around why people are thinking this

I had the same issue with the episode RR directed in Mando season 2. A lot of it didn't really feel or look cinematic to me and very much felt "fan film-y" instead. That's the best way I can describe it.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Vinylshadow posted:

Jar Jar Abrams of course

Shiiiit

Darth JJ confirmed

Crameltonian
Mar 27, 2010

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Yeah, this is exactly my issue with the show right now. It was fine but I don't care about anything that's happening right now, I'm not on the edge of my seat waiting to see what happens next. Boba Fett just isn't that interesting a character to me, and I'm not really being given any reason to care about him or his seemingly random desire to be a friendly neighbourhood crime lord.

It didn't help that so much of the episode was spent on flashbacks, and I feel Boba escaping the sarlacc is always going to be one of those incidents where whatever you imagine will be more exciting than what they put on screen.

Crameltonian fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Dec 29, 2021

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

7 is a weird # of episodes so theres some speculation on the leak reddit that episodes 1 and 2 are more of the full "pilot" - will have to wait until next week to see but maybe we get the big setup then.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Cheesus posted:

Like it or not, this characterization goes back to the Clone Wars.

He definitely was looking for revenge against Mace Windy for killing Jango, and maybe the Jedi in general, but he was not keen on many of his mentor, Aura Sing's schemes, especially if they involved killing clones which be considered to be his brothers.

The trick, of course, is how his "heart of gold" is different from Djarins.

And it's less a "heart of gold" but more an honor code.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I think we can all agree they're going to have to pull off a really impressive agenda-reveal after that pilot and the later in the season it gets the more impressive it is going to have to be.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Robert Rodriguez's style isn't for everyone but I enjoyed seeing it fully present on screen, warts and all. Lack of homogeneity is a good thing, especially in a Disney production, and it's nice to see everything going forward isn't just going to be looking exactly like the Mandalorian, gorgeous as it is. This has a very 80s adventure style that I think is cool

I really enjoyed the little parkour chase and letting us see everybody running normal speed through their little obstacle course instead of kinetic with the frames cranked and big sweeping and swooping shots to make it more Exciting.

Ray Harryhausen monster owned

I was a little perplexed that it doesn't seem like Fett speaks very many alien languages, if any. After Mando I just assumed that'd probably be standard for successful bounty hunters, where it seems like Din speaks most dialects he'd have reason to regularly encounter. Though Din's way more popular and fleshed out than Boba at this point, so if Din's just a way better bounty hunter than everybody, Fett included, I don't think anybody will mind too much.

I also was confused by the protocol droid comment, which was funny but what the hell is that attendant droid's job if he can't even speak any languages? Just to give unwanted opinions? gently caress off dude, get Fett some coffee

also regarding Fett's seemingly random sudden desire to be a crime lord I think it's fairly obvious we're going to find out through his experiences during the Tusken storyline in flashbacks. the kid showing him that gang tuning up that pitiful moisture farmer family being the first example. I assume living with the locals and getting firsthand experience of how lovely things are for the regular people of Tatooine, tuskens and humans alike, will lead him to conclude that he can take power and clean things up. so that'll be his cold heart -> heart of gold character arc

Mandrel fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Dec 29, 2021

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

https://twitter.com/danspenser/status/1476320036155531269?s=21

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

There's a fun little featurette called Under the Helmet on D+ that's about Boba Fett, too. 22-ish minutes, so an easy watch.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Kyle Katarn's got a posse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Just saw this, was OK, pretty much echoing most people here that the stuff with the Tuskens was way more interesting than anything in the present.

Edit:words

Just Chamber fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Dec 30, 2021