Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Wait here it is

https://twitter.com/MOOMANiBE/status/1259618332333891585?t=L6gKF6DeobvpDGfUE9NBJw&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Looking at it from that angle, it looks like it can crush your head as it goes down around your neck.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Party Boat posted:

FF8 did insane things with blending FMVs into the game. 7 did a bit of this but 8 really took it to another level

https://twitter.com/ultrabrilliant/status/1096133454822076416?t=uw_zcLYpMJT69wmWciJyrw&s=19

There's an absolutely wild one from the space section that I can't find right now but it's great

they're so good. ff8 ftw

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

Mashing the analog stick like a maniac during the garden fight fmv

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

FF8 is also Uematsu's best soundtrack.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

So I finished Endwalker and since there's basically nothing coming out until the end of January, am considering (re)playing one of the modern single player Final Fantasy titles. I never played FF7R intergrade, but I heard the extra content isn't all that incredible - I beat and enjoyed the main game already, and it was recent enough that I'm kind of leaning away from playing it again.

The other contenders are FFXIII and FFXV. XIII is feeling a little too dated at this point, so it's probably also not going to win. So, how do people feel about FFXV windows edition? I played the game on console at launch forever ago and have forgotten....well, most of it, aside from a generally good feeling about the bro simulator parts. The story at the time was pretty forgettable - did the DLCs end up making it better? I played none of the added content before - is it woven in with the main game in a rational way?

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Fabricated posted:

Just want to point this one out especially since I have never seen anyone comment on it. Isn't it loving weird how there's no blood in the game until the rampage in the castle happens? You see Wiegraf run someone through at the start of the game and more than a couple deaths but there's specifically no blood at all, but when the slaughter happens and Alma's escaping through the castle the guards are just loving *splattered* all over the place, and now people who get ran through in cutscenes bleed.

this is one of the things i really loved about FFT, how the violence and blood just ramps up. theres subtle blood in a few places in ch2 but it does just get more and more violent and bloody which is fun in how it ties into the plans of the lucavi

Fabricated posted:

There's a lot of super strong moments in FFT for me:

-Ramza and Delita talking on the hill after Tietra is kidnapped and Argath gets kicked out
-The fort exploding and the aftermath
-Ramza listening in on Ovelia talk about being miserable because she knows she's a pawn, and revealing her best friend was Alma
-The first Zodiac Beast encounter
-Riovane's Castle where there's this complete change in tone/tenor; it's actually disturbing even with the goofy screams the game has where you're hearing people just getting massacred in the background.

-The whole thing where Zalbaag finds out his father was poisoned to death, and everything that comes from that.
-The ending and Delita's last line.

yeah i was struggling to think of a favourite moment. there are lines in the original translation ("I've taken my whole life for granted. When it came down to it, I dropped it all and ran") that really hit me and i really liked the blade of grass scene between ramza and delita (and love that it got an FMV)

i also really love the scriptures of germoniqe, it feels like this world-shaking revelation at the time (and normally would be) and then the game just gets crazier and crazier and its like wow its revelations weren't even that crazy in the grand scheme of things

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Dec 30, 2021

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Sometimes the little job level up FFT jingle plays in my head when I accomplish things in real life.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

WrightOfWay posted:

FF8 is also Uematsu's best soundtrack.

It really is. There’s not a bad track on that soundtrack.

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

Been slowly working my way through ff7r over the holiday and absolutely loving it. They nailed the tone, the characters, and the battle system is fun as heck.

"That's no ordinary house" :lol:

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

VanillaGorilla posted:

So I finished Endwalker and since there's basically nothing coming out until the end of January, am considering (re)playing one of the modern single player Final Fantasy titles. I never played FF7R intergrade, but I heard the extra content isn't all that incredible - I beat and enjoyed the main game already, and it was recent enough that I'm kind of leaning away from playing it again.

The other contenders are FFXIII and FFXV. XIII is feeling a little too dated at this point, so it's probably also not going to win. So, how do people feel about FFXV windows edition? I played the game on console at launch forever ago and have forgotten....well, most of it, aside from a generally good feeling about the bro simulator parts. The story at the time was pretty forgettable - did the DLCs end up making it better? I played none of the added content before - is it woven in with the main game in a rational way?

RE Intergrade - Yuffie is mad fun to play as once you get used to her. There's no way she doesn't get nerfed in the actual next game because she can do everything by herself and do it awesomely. Her story is pretty good and the special battle she unlocks for the Shinra Combat Simulator in the base game is a ton of fun to master. I am completely enamored with the combat system of this game though so if you're not then yes it's probably just okay.

RE FFXV - Gladio DLC was boring, Prompto's was pretty good. I never played Ignis but have heard it's very good. Never played Ardyn but I heard it fucks with the plot in a very not good way so maybe avoid that. It's been a long time but I think you launch the DLCs from a separate menu so it's up to you when you tackle them.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013

VanillaGorilla posted:

There's new stuff woven into the story (such as being able to boat around freely and go back and forth between the mainland and the island city, and there being a new Final Dungeon after the time skip. But the DLC scenarios where you play as other characters are loaded up from a separate menu and not part of the main game.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Re: FFT

I really wanna play War of the Lions, but have no urge to play it ever on mobile. Hopefully the announcement of Google Play Games being available on Windows next year will allow me to officially revisit one the the most memorable games I've ever played.

Switched.on
Apr 25, 2008

anakha posted:

I really wanna play War of the Lions, but have no urge to play it ever on mobile. Hopefully the announcement of Google Play Games being available on Windows next year will allow me to officially revisit one the the most memorable games I've ever played.

The bad news about that is that they’ve never added controller support after all these years so you’ll just be swiping away with a mouse cursor…

But the PSP version of WotL is extremely emulatable using PPSSPP in windows!

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

anakha posted:

IIRC the leaks that contained the FF pixel remasters also included Steam versions of Final Fantasy Tactics and Chrono Cross.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

It's remarkable that FF8's FMV tricks remain so striking even today when modern games can depict scenes a thousand times more complex in realtime. The way it seamlessly transitions from simple models on still images into complex renders without a loading screen in-between just feels unreal, like it's breaking the rules of how games work.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
FFT is getting remastered for pc/console fyi, it was in the geforce leak and its meant to be out very soon

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
It's a loving crime that the only PS1 Final Fantasy unplayable on the Switch is Tactics.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Well there's Chocobo Racing but they're fixing that soon

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Vikar Jerome posted:

FFT is getting remastered for pc/console fyi, it was in the geforce leak and its meant to be out very soon
Until a game is in my hands being played on a console I own I take reports of its existence with a grain of salt. Before it's even officially announced I take its existence with a handful of salt, no matter how trustworthy the leaker is, how likely the games are to exist in some form, or how often they've been right. It's cool to think of remasters for FFT and Chrono Cross, but I'm not gonna hold my breath waiting for them. There's a lot going on right now that can affect a game's release schedule or even cause cancellations.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Vikar Jerome posted:

Thank the gods, have been waiting for this forever.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Please make Tactics more like Tactics Advance

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Vikar Jerome posted:

Eh it's possible that'll be the next project after FFVI is out but I'm not taking that leak as gospel since it also included Chrono Cross and FFIX which seem incredibly unlikely.

e: Also Tactics is boring as gently caress.

Ugly John
Jul 18, 2009
[img]https://forums.somethingawful.com/attachment.php?postid=514899866[/img]

Barudak posted:

Absolutely not.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Barudak posted:

No thanks

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Barudak posted:

- make everything less accurate, including spells. Make the direction the target is facing the major factor in accuracy.
- Judges.
- Everyone is now a Gadgeteer, all moves require a coin flip.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

- make everything less accurate, including spells. Make the direction the target is facing the major factor in accuracy.
- Judges.
- Everyone is now a Gadgeteer, all moves require a coin flip.

I'll still take it over regular tactics

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

90% of Cloud's dialogue is making nondescript anime noises but he can still bust out an elaborate dance routine when necessary.

"Approach your target inconspicuously at a cabaret show... There may be missions requiring this sort of subterfuge. It's expected of SeeD SOLDIER to learn various skills"

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Revisiting FFV with the pixel remaster and god drat the soundtrack is amazing. https://www.greatestgamemusic.com/soundtracks/final-fantasy-v-soundtrack-pixel-remaster/ FFV has been my favorite FF to revisit and play for the gameplay but the soundtrack remaster may elevate it to my #3 FF (FFXIV is #1)

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

90% of Cloud's dialogue is making nondescript anime noises but he can still bust out an elaborate dance routine when necessary.

Further evidence of Hojo's genius.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

stev posted:

Eh it's possible that'll be the next project after FFVI is out but I'm not taking that leak as gospel since it also included Chrono Cross and FFIX which seem incredibly unlikely.

e: Also Tactics is boring as gently caress.

nah this one is the most legit, its been proven true with random shadowdrops from other games that were on the leak that noone had heard of before just randomly releasing on steam with the correct release date that was in the leak. so the geforcenow leak is 100% true but yeah things can change/get delayed. also lol chrono cross all but confirmed without the leak given that mobile game had stuff in it about the remaster too. ffix "remake" is interesting, cos its either a small budget thing in line with ff3 and 4 remake (but ya know, better looking) or its a typo and its ffxi "remaster" that they were already working on for mobile before they canned it.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Barudak posted:

:hai:

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
The only thing that needs to be changed in FFT is making everything happen faster. Just add a 2x speed switch (and autobattle AI for cleaning up random encounters quicker).

iTrust
Mar 25, 2010

It's not good for your health.

:frogc00l:

VanillaGorilla posted:

So, how do people feel about FFXV windows edition? I played the game on console at launch forever ago and have forgotten....well, most of it, aside from a generally good feeling about the bro simulator parts. The story at the time was pretty forgettable - did the DLCs end up making it better? I played none of the added content before - is it woven in with the main game in a rational way?

This was basically, word for word, me earlier this year.

Final Fantasy XV is one of the best games I played in 2021 and I'm really glad I went back to it so I definitely recommend doing so. It surprised me, how much I ended up enjoying it when my initial impression of a game I finished was a game I couldn't remember anything about.

Windows edition does have a couple of things very wrong with it though.

First, Summons are gonna gently caress the game.

I'm talking about Framerate dropping to single digits and then the game just locking up entirely. This happens basically every time you Summon something; it's super fun when you absolutely have to because the story requires it!

I wasn't ever able to find a way to fix it, unfortunately. It wasn't something that stopped me playing the game through to completion - usually Saving and Restarting as soon as the battle concluded was enough to bypass any major problems.

Also, although I don't have definite proof of this and it could well just be me, I'm convinced that there's a serious memory leak with the game as well. You may want to restart your machine after playing it. The same thing happens with the X/X-2 Remaster, as it goes.

But yeah, the above issues aside, FFXV is great. Play it.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Randallteal posted:

The only thing that needs to be changed in FFT is making everything happen faster. Just add a 2x speed switch (and autobattle AI for cleaning up random encounters quicker).

Would make it a perfect game in my eyes with those changes.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
FF5 is such a phenomenal game and it makes zero sense how long it took to get a good US release. You can see them try to make a freeform character system even half as good during FF7 and 8. And while 1-4 have some reasonably catchy tunes it really sets the bar on what FF music can be.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

You can turn on AI for your dudes in FFT. It’s a fun time, I did the same thing in Tactics Ogre where only the main character is controlled and everyone else is automatic.

It makes sense.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

jokes posted:

You can turn on AI for your dudes in FFT. It’s a fun time, I did the same thing in Tactics Ogre where only the main character is controlled and everyone else is automatic.

It makes sense.

That was how the original SNES version worked by default afaik

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Good news for people who want to scratch their tactical RPG itch but find FFT boring: Triangle Strategy is coming out March 4th and it’s basically FFT meets Octopath Traveler with branching stories based on moral choices. Hopefully it will have a lot of replay value, I liked the demo but it needed some serious polish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Good news for people who want to scratch their tactical RPG itch but find FFT boring: Triangle Strategy is coming out March 4th and it’s basically FFT meets Octopath Traveler with branching stories based on moral choices. Hopefully it will have a lot of replay value, I liked the demo but it needed some serious polish.

I'm definitely excited for this, I really enjoyed the demo.