Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Steve Yun posted:

LOL Biden really thought this going to go away on its own multiple times

Biden doesn't know where he is multiple times per day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

i appreciate all the research you dump into your posts, i've often save chunks of them in my notes to use when talking to my friends

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

Steve Yun posted:

the big-brained biden campaign team definitely spent weeks drawing up a detailed "path to victory" roadmap in like september 2020, culminating in july 4th.

it's clear they had absolutely zero idea for what to do when it all went off the rails, multiple times

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Mola Yam posted:

repeating myself, but australia just today redefined "close contact" (for testing/isolation purposes) to require FOUR HOURS IN THE SAME ROOM.

we're so incredibly hosed

it's so loving stupid.

just doing a goatse and sending covid a written invitation

coke
Jul 12, 2009

so what if we combine omicron’s immune escape and infectivity with delta’s deadliness?

like someone posted earlier
https://twitter.com/Gab_H_R/status/1475827929988964357

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

coke posted:

so what if we combine omicron’s immune escape and infectivity with delta’s deadliness?

I wanna get this on the back of my van with that "gently caress it" dude humping it.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

A horrific sore arm after a boost means my immune system is killing poo poo right so I should probably just suck it up?

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2021/dec/30/what-are-the-new-rules-in-australia-on-covid-isolation-close-contacts-and-testing

quote:

“Except in exceptional circumstances, a close contact is a household contact or ‘household-like’ of a confirmed case only. A household contact is someone who lives with a case or has spent more than four hours with them in a house, accommodation or care facility setting,” Morrison said.

quote:

If I am not a close contact, can I still get tested?
No – unless you are a close contact or have symptoms, you will not be able to get a free PCR test in the way that has been normal practice for the past two years. Morrison made clear the intention was to reduce the number of people in queues for PCR tests, although it is unclear how many of those people fall into the category of what he called “the worried well”.

“If you don’t fulfil this definition of a close contact then there is no need for you to be in that line,” Morrison said. “You should go home. Go to the beach, go and do what you want to do. Read a book in the park. Follow all the normal, commonsense things that you would do, monitor your symptoms, follow the Covid-safe practices, make sure you have booked for your booster, do all of those sorts of things – but there is no need for you to be in that line.”

quote:

What is the aim of the change?
Testing sites on the east coast and in South Australia have been swamped, causing immense queues to be tested and delaying results in some cases for many days. In many parts of the country rapid antigen tests have also been in short supply.

work next to someone in an office for 8 hours? no longer a close contact! testing too swamped? just redefine things so less people get free PCR tests!! literally worse than biden's free single PCR test (in theory, i know those free tests will never make it out).

also those QR check-ins... are we still getting informed about being at an exposure site? is it just going to tell you to buy a PCR test?

quote:

When does the change come into effect?
From midnight on Thursday, in all states and territories except Tasmania, the Northern Territory and Western Australia. Tasmania will adopt the change from 1 January, while the Northern Territory and Western Australia will make separate announcements in the coming days.

save us mark mcgowan

May 11, 2007

Contains Carbon Monoxide
De Blasio on today show with a few soundbites worth sharing if I can find someone capping then

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

coke posted:

i predict omicron burns through the population and then this hits right after like the ol' 1-2

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

crepeface posted:

also those QR check-ins... are we still getting informed about being at an exposure site? is it just going to tell you to buy a PCR test?

I’ve had an exposure notice from ServiceNSW for every time I’ve been to the supermarket in the past couple of weeks
so that’s nice
I expect I’ll get one every time I go now until the system collapses or is scrapped
the texts I’m getting just tell me to monitor for symptoms and to get tested if any develop

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Helith posted:

I’ve had an exposure notice from ServiceNSW for every time I’ve been to the supermarket in the past couple of weeks
so that’s nice
I expect I’ll get one every time I go now until the system collapses or is scrapped
the texts I’m getting just tell me to monitor for symptoms and to get tested if any develop

Don't worry soon they won't bother notifying you at all.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

crepeface posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2021/dec/30/what-are-the-new-rules-in-australia-on-covid-isolation-close-contacts-and-testing

work next to someone in an office for 8 hours? no longer a close contact! testing too swamped? just redefine things so less people get free PCR tests!! literally worse than biden's free single PCR test (in theory, i know those free tests will never make it out).

save us mark mcgowan

It's especially funny when NSW just brought back QR codes. No one is ever gonna be officially exposed now. Might as well dump them again.

NSW health told me a week late that I was exposed even before omicron and when they had almost no cases at all. The "mandatory" 7 day isolating period was just ending. Plus I was back in Victoria by then who had different rules (isolate until you get a negative PCR test).

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
lol exposure notifications never really materialized in USA.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

cr0y posted:

A horrific sore arm after a boost means my immune system is killing poo poo right so I should probably just suck it up?

yeah itll go away in a couple days

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Yuli Ban posted:

[COVID] Biggest one-day increase on record (til tomorrow)

I still like:

[COVID] overall about average: worse than yesterday, better than tomorrow

Mr. Pizza
Oct 5, 2009

HiroProtagonist posted:

it is some of the dopest poo poo imaginable, no lie

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

neutral milf hotel posted:

I still like:

[COVID] overall about average: worse than yesterday, better than tomorrow

I think it works well trimmed down even more:

[COVID] worse than yesterday, better than tomorrow

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

[Covid] On average, we live pretty well: worse than last year, but definitely better than next year.

please make some variation of this the thread title on NYE

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

coke posted:

Georgi Marinov thinks that it may just be contamination, i.e. RNA from both viruses was floating together in the sample, but they didn’t necessarily combine their genes into one strand, or even exist in the same human.

https://twitter.com/georgimarinov/status/1475834780855914508

He’s the guy who called the variant that would become known as Omicron “SARS-CoV-3” on the GitHub page on November 23.

Is there any real doubt that the two lineages will recombine, if they haven’t already? No, but this particular sequence may not be it.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Helith posted:

so that’s nice

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

It's especially funny when NSW just brought back QR codes. No one is ever gonna be officially exposed now. Might as well dump them again.

NSW health told me a week late that I was exposed even before omicron and when they had almost no cases at all. The "mandatory" 7 day isolating period was just ending. Plus I was back in Victoria by then who had different rules (isolate until you get a negative PCR test).

yeah, but im wondering if an alert is even going to be sent out now? do they only go out for something defined as close contacts?

also lol at NSW bringing back QR codes just in time for this. such clear and simple restrictions to follow!!

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

Iron Crowned posted:

Biden doesn't know where he is multiple times per day.

Uh act-shu-uh-llly, he has a stutter. Do better.

Something I’ve been mad about all day is how very mild suggestions that people should not go to huge New Years parties are being unanimously met with “well we have to go to work so NICE LOGIC THERE LOL” and then everybody goes to big parties. Yes, it’s stupid and illogical and unfair and deeply lovely, but the correct answer is to fight the required stupid dangerous thing, not to add supplemental stupid dangerous things because you have to do one of them already. Adding more bullets to the gun because there’s already one in there is not an optimal Russian roulette strategy.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

i hope the economy loving blows up

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

First patient with long covid today. Here’s last note from late ______.

quote:

returns today for a recheck of SFN. She reports that she is having significant cognitive difficulties following a hospital admission for Covid in ________. She states that she does not really recall her initial hospitalization but was apparently discharged home a couple of days later. She was in the car with her husband when "like a light switch went off and I didn't recognize him." She was taken to ________ and underwent evaluation and hospitalization there. She knows she had a LP but is unsure what else was done. I di not have these records. She was told that she likely had covid fog or long haul covid. She reports that her memory is about the same, it has not returned back to baseline. Today is the first time she has driven outside of _______ until today. Her migraines she thinks are about the same. She doesn't really have much short term memory, she states she remembers she had one that lasted from Sunday to Wednesday this week,

So yeah. No memory.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Time to lmao again at covid zero Aussie states voluntarily surrendering to covid at the worst possible moment

https://twitter.com/CaseyBriggs/status/1476353145722732545?t=moTeQ0b-9hCRxMSgFY2Q-Q&s=19

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

+1056% lmao RIP Florida.

good thing hospitalizations are flat!

oh.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

crepeface posted:

yeah, but im wondering if an alert is even going to be sent out now? do they only go out for something defined as close contacts?

also lol at NSW bringing back QR codes just in time for this. such clear and simple restrictions to follow!!

I'm pretty sure they won't notify you now. Like even for mine they called and said "oops you aren't actually exposed because you were far away from the person, nevermind".

I wasn't far enough away. Although I never took off my mask so tested negative.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

https://twitter.com/WasOnceLou/status/1476523475778949122?t=NSVRvlmcCVN_296oPj52Gg&s=19

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

it’s normal for a civilization to generate two completely separate pandemics in a century, right

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Time to lmao again at covid zero Aussie states voluntarily surrendering to covid at the worst possible moment

https://twitter.com/CaseyBriggs/status/1476353145722732545?t=moTeQ0b-9hCRxMSgFY2Q-Q&s=19

ffffffffffffuck

we have some qlders here don't we. what's the mood there like? i'd be pissed (both angry and drunk)

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Welcome to the party, we all saw this coming a mile away. That timing could not have been loving worse.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

crepeface posted:

mine have all been for casual contact, literally you were in the same place at the same time as a confirmed case, so monitor for symptoms and test if you become unwell. Just had another one now for when I went to Woolies on Monday, got one for Wednesday this arvo.
I’ll be interesting to see if I get any notices from now on as the definition of contact has changed, I’ll let you know.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

FizFashizzle posted:

First patient with long covid today. Here’s last note from late ______.

So yeah. No memory.

Sounds pretty bad. People should be warning that Covid can cause mild memory loss!

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
:siren: Goons who have bought COVID tests online; where did you get yours? :siren:

Not that I imagine it is possible to get any anytime soon, but with my allergies lovely all year round I feel like I might as well finally stock up on rapid tests. I didn't mind doing PCRs every so often when there were no lines at my local clinics but now there's no way to do it safely near me. And I don't know if the 'DO NOT BUY PPE FROM AMAZON' rule applies also to testing stuff.

EDIT: Rapid, not PCR, derp.

RoboChrist 9000 fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Dec 30, 2021

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Home Depot near me still has lots of Auras. I ordered online and they went to a locker outside.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I don’t trust the labs that process the PCR test kits to not be swamped and put yours at the bottom of the pile. They do, after all, already have your money.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

https://twitter.com/lunaoi_vn/status/1476533521220980739?s=21

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Maybe Covid does cause mild memory loss. I keep seeing people throwing out numbers on how effective the vaccines are and they always keep on getting smaller and smaller day by day.

Remember how they used to say that vaccinated people were like 58x less likely to get hospitalized compared to the unvaccinated, and 97x times less likely to die?

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Steve Yun posted:

Yeah I bet by now he's pretty upset he had to lead through a disaster he couldn't just ignore and it would literally go away after killing and destroying things like a hurricane or some poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

One analyst doing work