Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

9 books total so far and he’s still kinda young.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gambor
Oct 24, 2005

Jaxyon posted:

Sir have you ever read Wizards First Rule? It's the start of a series and the author has some really good ideas that can also apply to your daily life

lol

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

It’s amazing how far into these books I got as a kid in high school. Dude definitely stole so many concepts from WOT I always used to think. Isn’t there a magic damane leash thing also in these books? And a female magic tower than wanted to control dude?

I made it to the book where he makes the statue and defeats communism with it.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Don't forget the second one is called Stone of Tear, and he completely tore into a fan who asked about the similarity

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Jaxyon posted:

Sir have you ever read Wizards First Rule? It's the start of a series and the author has some really good ideas that can also apply to your daily life

Please do not encourage goons to use Objectivism recreationally.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3668845

Read the let's read instead.

Gambor
Oct 24, 2005

Harton posted:

It’s amazing how far into these books I got as a kid in high school. Dude definitely stole so many concepts from WOT I always used to think. Isn’t there a magic damane leash thing also in these books? And a female magic tower than wanted to control dude?

I made it to the book where he makes the statue and defeats communism with it.

How dare you! He never even read the Wheel of Time. Those are fantasy books (one dimensional drivel), Sword of Truth are important books about archetypes and human ideals.

For real though, one thing's for sure. He wasn't lying when he said he didn't do either world-building or magic.

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Don't forget the second one is called Stone of Tear, and he completely tore into a fan who asked about the similarity

Stone of Tears

Completely different.
I think I got to the one after the communism defeating statue before giving up until the series was done and doing a full hateread. I threw the last one across the room because the end was bad.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

LOL man I totally forgot about that

What was the stone in the bad books again I totally forgot.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Ego Trip posted:

Stone of Tears

Completely different.
I think I got to the one after the communism defeating statue before giving up until the series was done and doing a full hateread. I threw the last one across the room because the end was bad.

I kinda wanna know what happens now but not enough to go actually finish the series. How many more books were there after that one?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

buffalo all day posted:

whether a tv show is good can be determined by how well a show watcher can do on a geography quiz at the end of the season

It's the last episode and the crux of the whole conflict of the season. I know they got hosed covid but it not having any impact is why this season ended on a whimper.

Devorum posted:

Hate to tell you, but "WTF even was the Eye of The World?" was a common reaction among book readers after reading it, too.

Hell, even Moirainne is like "WTF was that even there for? Who tf knows? Not me, and I doubt anyone ever will" before staring straight at the reader.

It was wtf. But there was the Green Man, traveling pool of Saidan, two eldrich monster people being set on fire, Rand cartwheeling thru the sky and accidentally turning an army on fire....at least it was memorable

CainFortea posted:

We had maybe 2 minutes devoted to Stepin. Every other minute he's on screen, a more important character is also in the scene reacting to Stepin.

Lol

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Dec 30, 2021

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

After the Fountainhead, there were 5 more books.

Then no one wanted to read his other series, so he started writing more SoT and then he died.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Of covid

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Ego Trip posted:

Then no one wanted to read his other series, so he started writing more SoT and then he died.

is that the series with the bondage priestesses?

Gambor
Oct 24, 2005

Hexel posted:

is that the series with the bondage priestesses?

I'll have you know the Mord Sith are an allegory for the way in which we all must face our own painful truths. That only those who are strong enough to face the ugliness within themselves can speak from a place of objective reality. And furthermore...

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Jaxyon posted:

AdmiralAckbaritsatrap.gif

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Gambor posted:

I'll have you know the Mord Sith are an allegory for the way in which we all must face our own painful truths. That only those who are strong enough to face the ugliness within themselves can speak from a place of objective reality. And furthermore...

Meanwhile Legend of the Seeker had the correct take on it:
https://youtu.be/1PiXiNOeeu8

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Ego Trip posted:

Wait he’s dead! What?

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Dysgenesis posted:

AdmiralAckbaritsatrap.gif

It's a logical progression if you've ever said "what I'd we made the Red Ajah more kinky?"

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

Harton posted:

Wait he’s dead! What?

Yeah, late last year.
Cause of death wasn't announced, but

Is the assumption

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Dude seemed a lot younger than 72 with that creepy author photo

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
I encourage you all to go find some interviews with him because there is some gold in there.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Hollismason posted:

Now I gotta figure out what to read next , I liked Sanderson's writing so I may pick up a series of his I dunno.

Read The Witch's Heart for a nice, one book break.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Meanwhile Legend of the Seeker had the correct take on it:
https://youtu.be/1PiXiNOeeu8

There's only one way you're gonna get me to watch this show

Did they get to the Evil Chicken

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I decided on Joe Abercrombie novel the first part of the Age of Madness trilogy.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Nice, did you read best served cold, the heroes, and red country first? My buddy said the Hero’s has a ton of relevant information for the new trilogy.

I’m doing a re-read now before I get to the new trilogy. Just finished “best served cold” a week or so ago. The audiobooks with Steven pacey are really good.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Harton posted:

Nice, did you read best served cold, the heroes, and red country first? My buddy said the Hero’s has a ton of relevant information for the new trilogy.

I’m doing a re-read now before I get to the new trilogy. Just finished “best served cold” a week or so ago. The audiobooks with Steven pacey are really good.

Yeah I read all of First Law and the other books when they came out.

Calenth
Jul 11, 2001

ChubbyChecker posted:

you read 15 elf books, so read a non-elf book for a change

i'd recommend patrick o'brian's aubrey maturin series, it's a comedy of manners with naval warfare set during the napoleonic wars

Jordan read them and was a fan too so it's on point

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Hollismason posted:

Yeah I read all of First Law and the other books when they came out.

Awesome, best served cold was good. I think the first time I read it I just missed Ninefingers, etc but this time going through I just enjoyed the poo poo outta it going in with no expectations.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

test

e: nice got the gangtag

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

After I finished this series, a few years back, I read The Black Company by Glen Cook. I enjoyed them.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
Benedict Jacka has a good series with Alex Verus. In a world where mages can blow up city blocks, teleport, create shields, drain life force, or create unstoppable automata, he's a mage that can... see a few minutes into the future. A few hours if he's lucky.

He has one trick but he exploits it ruthlessly and effectively. He also is under no illusions that he's a good person, though he tries to be a good guy.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Yeah that’s on my list too, I just signed up for audible cause I can listen to headphones and get stoned all day at work now. But I gotta be a member 30 days before I can buy any extra credits. I’m dying here lol.

WHY WONT THAT SCUMBAG BEZOZ TAKE MY MONEY!!!!!

Like any other time he wants that poo poo, but now I gotta browse the “free” catalogue and it sucks bad.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Black company I meant but that sounds cool too

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Since the gang tag links to this thread, can we get a more flattering opening? I always thought that cover of AMOL sucked, and it's def not a nice intro pic

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Barreft posted:

Since the gang tag links to this thread, can we get a more flattering opening? I always thought that cover of AMOL sucked, and it's def not a nice intro pic

I can just see people saying "Man that art is crap where's his other arm?"

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Screw those other recommendations, dive into Sanderson straight away, I suggest starting with "Emperor's Soul" it's real short, self contained and gives you a good idea of what he's about.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Barreft posted:

ok made some changes

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

ok made some changes

A+

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
For the curious, obviously that's the original cover for Eye of the World (you can see the Draghkar!), the original alternate cover for Eye of the World (it was the cover they used on advance reading copies), and an early color map they put in early copies of The Great Hunt. I still kinda prefer the border work on that map to a lot of the later ones. Less detail sure but overall more evocative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

I was 12 years old and drawn to the books cause I saw the EOTW cover, I can't be the only one.