Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Vogelspinne posted:

I think I already know the answer to this question but I need some external validation before I do anything.

I had two interviews with a company and they want to hire me. I gave the recruiter a range of 120-140k. I currently make 95k and the new job is basically the same title wise and responsibilities as my current job. New job has much better benefits, is doing much more interesting work, and has a a larger team to learn/grow from.

They want a narrowed down range before they make an offer (at which point I asked for a benefits package to review), should I anchor high and go 130-140k? I would be thrilled with 120k and don't want to torpedo this but I know general wisdom is go high, worst they do is say "sorry best we can do is <whatever amount lower>" and it would probably still be a huge improvement for where I'm at.

or should I not say anything and ask them to make an offer based on the range they already have?

"I'd really like to be around 140k"

They want a narrow range, just give them the top of your number. IMO you already screwed up by giving any range. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Not giving them a range to begin with is ideal. You've basically already said you're fine with 120k and I'm not even sure why they would want you to narrow it down more either. I would kick it back to them and say you need to see the total comp package and have a better sense of the work responsibilities before you could be more specific. If you've already had those conversations, then yeah anchoring high is better where one of a couple things will happen: they do you a favor by pulling the offer, they agree to the bottom of your updated range, they put a number that's in the original range, or they low-ball you.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Yeah say $140K but they're going to say $110K and you'll probably end up settling for $115K. If you'd just said $140K in the first place you could probably have gotten 125-130. It's an expensive lesson so definitely take it to heart!

Vogelspinne
Dec 16, 2010
Thanks for the replies goons, I asked for 140k and the recruiter just called me to let me know that the offer would probably be in the 130-135k range so looks like I didnt screw myself over too badly, might have gotten more if I didnt give a range but I was hoping for 115k when I started my search so this is already life changing for me. Will definitely take the feedback of not giving a range to heart for future job searching though.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

asur posted:

Is the chart wrong? You state it's lower than your current pay but it appears to be 15% more by the first set and something like 25 - 30% more when you add in bonus and LTI.

How much do you want to be a manager and how much insight do you have into the new company for transitioning from IC to manager? Asking because at some companies this opportunity is next to non-existent.

That isn't quite what I said, it's not less than I am getting now at Gradgrind Pharma, it's less than I need to take the job. Scrooge Technologies are offering a promotion, but the offer is only 15% more salary and other cash than I get now at Gradgrind - and they are expecting me to ask for more $. Gradgrind will probably offer something like that +15% for the promotion they are also offering, and I want to get more out of them. For me to move Scrooge they will need to make me a lot happier than that.

The promotion here at Gradgrind will be a managerial position covering a portfolio of research, Scrooge is an IC for a single big research project, with the expectation in a year or so that I will take on additional staff under me.

The bonus and LTI at Scrooge are good but not guaranteed, so I am not putting a huge amount of weight on that part of the offer.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Just to give you guys an update, My wife negotiated and got 125 base. She says she wants to work for a start up because that was her last job, and she just works super intensely for a year or two then bounces once it gets to a certain point. I don't understand business at all, but she's happy. If she's happy then I'm happy.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I spoke with my boss here at Gradgrind, and he's getting the salary for my promotion ASAP to avoid me taking the counter. He took it pretty well, I know it's against the wisdom here but I don't feel hugely likely to get fired if I take the counter. He is offering a bonus to stay as well.

I've countered with Scrooge asking for a 52% raise vs the 23% they are offering.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Vogelspinne posted:

Thanks for the replies goons, I asked for 140k and the recruiter just called me to let me know that the offer would probably be in the 130-135k range so looks like I didnt screw myself over too badly, might have gotten more if I didnt give a range but I was hoping for 115k when I started my search so this is already life changing for me. Will definitely take the feedback of not giving a range to heart for future job searching though.

Congrats! Reel that sucker in.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

knox_harrington posted:

I spoke with my boss here at Gradgrind, and he's getting the salary for my promotion ASAP to avoid me taking the counter. He took it pretty well, I know it's against the wisdom here but I don't feel hugely likely to get fired if I take the counter. He is offering a bonus to stay as well.

Aight well my current co initially offered a 15% raise, which I said wasn't enough. They've now come back with 30%, a higher bonus %, a higher car allowance, and higher LTI.

Coupled with the preferable job (management rather than IC) I think that's going to be a deal.

Thanks for all the help, thread. Chalk me up for a win.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
does the car allowance cover your car cost now? (did it before?)

nice work!

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Haha it didn't quite, but now covers the car payment! But I just get the allowance in cash, so if I wanted to I could get a cheaper car (I do not).

The whole car allowance cash benefit thing seems very weird.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
just swiss things

Sarah Problem
Sep 24, 2002

Because, if you confess with your mouth that Witten is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved

I just want to thank everyone who has contributed to this thread. I successfully negotiated my pay up 70% to $150k using the info in this thread. I never gave them a number and got them to admit what they have budgeted for the position and if that meets MY expectations. It was insanely empowering to know I had all the leverage in the salary negotiation. Seriously this is a life changing increase in pay for me and I couldn’t have done it without this thread.

:amen:

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Sarah Problem posted:

I just want to thank everyone who has contributed to this thread. I successfully negotiated my pay up 70% to $150k using the info in this thread. I never gave them a number and got them to admit what they have budgeted for the position and if that meets MY expectations. It was insanely empowering to know I had all the leverage in the salary negotiation. Seriously this is a life changing increase in pay for me and I couldn’t have done it without this thread.

:homebrew:

Buy something nice to enjoy it, but it's even better if you don't adjust your lifestyle for a few years. :stonks:

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Sarah Problem posted:

I just want to thank everyone who. Seriously this is a life changing increase in pay for me and I couldn’t have done it without this thread.

Congrats

:homebrew:

Yeah buy yourself something to celebrate, just don't buy a car or something that sticks you on a payment plan for months or years

Sarah Problem
Sep 24, 2002

Because, if you confess with your mouth that Witten is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved

I plan on acting like the new income doesn’t exist until I have a healthy nest egg then I’m taking my family on it’s first vacation in 8 years since we are all vaccinated and boosted.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Hell yeah congrats.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
My suggestion for how to spend your newfound windfall is to slam your 410k withholding slider all the way to the right. Future-you will thank you for it.

And congratulations!

aperfectcirclefan
Nov 21, 2021

by Hand Knit
Hey goons im in a interesting situation and want your thoughts. Hoping this is the right thread

I've interviewed for two jobs. One of the two jobs wanted me basically right away, but offered a (more than I make now) lower salary of $50k for a technical marketing job. Basically a job that is programming websites and API endpoints etc. I met with the owner yesterday who is very nice and we had a great 3 hour chat. He basically asked me to write up what my dream job would be and send it to him. I haven't done it yet because...

I second interviewed for job two two days ago. This job is for wordpress development. I believe the job will pay more around $80k which is amazing for me. I'm pretty interested in this job also because it sounds like a real stepping stone to more intensive programming and better paying jobs in the future. I haven't heard back from them yet but I felt like the interview went really really well.

Anyways, as of now i'm waiting for position #2 but I can't stop shaking that feeling of "wow job #1 asked me for what my dream job would be" which seemed kinda odd. I noted in the programming thread that job #1 initially asked me to come on in a part time or contractual role as a trial period, which I think is because its a very small very tight nit team. I haven't replied back to him yet with the dream job as part of me is hoping for job #2 and see how much they offer. But, I don't want to upset job #1 while I wait for job #2 to maybe get back to me. Job #1 would be pretty cool if it paid substantially more (lol) but at the same time I don't want to alienate them while I wait to hear from company #2. Is there anything I should email them? Should I fill out the "dream job" question they asked? I've basically worked one job my entire life that I was let go of two years ago and have been contracting since then, but I haven't been paid in a month from one of my contractors so I need to look for something else.

Thanks goons.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Job 2 is almost certainly the better job. Reply to 1 and be honest. "I am currently waiting to hear back on another offer that has a higher total compensation". I'd even tell him that number because $50k is a frickin steal. If you really like job 1 they might match. If they get pissy then they are doing you a favor, truly. I promise you can find other 50k+ jobs even if job 2 haha apart.

The dream job thing is because he knows he's getting you for a pittance and is trying to throw sweeteners in the form of "create your job description!" Most of that will be forgotten as the business needs take precedence. Also tiny 3 man shops are rarely positive work experiences for the low guy on the pole.

Technical marketing also sounds like you might end up doing cold calls are something and gently caress that.

aperfectcirclefan
Nov 21, 2021

by Hand Knit

Lockback posted:

Job 2 is almost certainly the better job. Reply to 1 and be honest. "I am currently waiting to hear back on another offer that has a higher total compensation". I'd even tell him that number because $50k is a frickin steal. If you really like job 1 they might match. If they get pissy then they are doing you a favor, truly. I promise you can find other 50k+ jobs even if job 2 haha apart.

The dream job thing is because he knows he's getting you for a pittance and is trying to throw sweeteners in the form of "create your job description!" Most of that will be forgotten as the business needs take precedence. Also tiny 3 man shops are rarely positive work experiences for the low guy on the pole.

Technical marketing also sounds like you might end up doing cold calls are something and gently caress that.

Thank you for this.

That's true, he definitely does know he's getting a steal lol. I guess i'm just too nice and relatable in interviews as I always make a connection with the interviewers lol.

Plus I don't' even know what my dream job is lol.

Should I reply tonight (the interview with job #1 was yesterday morning) or maybe wait to see if Job #2 replies tomorrow?

Thanks!

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
When was the job 2 interview? Did job 1 give you any feedback on when they wanted a reply?

aperfectcirclefan
Nov 21, 2021

by Hand Knit
Job 2 was tuesday afternoon, they said if I don't hear back by the end of next week to reach out to them but they said i'd get a response.

Job 1 i asked if they were in a huge rush and they said not really. I know they want to use me for contract work anyways.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I'd maybe try to stretch and let job1 know you are waiting to hear from another offer next week then. Just to generally buy you time.

aperfectcirclefan
Nov 21, 2021

by Hand Knit
I'll do that, thank you! I hope I hear form Job #2 :v:

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

aperfectcirclefan posted:

I'll do that, thank you! I hope I hear form Job #2 :v:

In the meantime you will probably want to keep applying and looking, even if Job #2 doesn't get back to you there are probably other opportunities closer to their range.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

aperfectcirclefan posted:

Job 2 was tuesday afternoon, they said if I don't hear back by the end of next week to reach out to them but they said i'd get a response.

Job 1 i asked if they were in a huge rush and they said not really. I know they want to use me for contract work anyways.

This makes me think of an interview I did a few months ago that went really well and they said I'd have an offer by the end of the week.

The ghosted me and I never heard from them again.

aperfectcirclefan
Nov 21, 2021

by Hand Knit
Yeah I expect that lol. I hype myself up because I had the second interview and the owner of the company sat in with the two lead devs lol.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I've dealt with a few microcompanies like you described as Job#1 and the M.O. seems to always be the same. They talk and talk and talk so much about how great everything is so surely you don't mind taking a way below market salary to be part of our team right?

I would in a friendly, professional but very firm way let them know that you appreciate their offer and share their enthusiasm but it can't work unless they're willing to pay a lot more than they're offering. In your position I would seriously consider turning down their lowball even if Job#2 doesn't come through, unless Job#1 is willing to come up to the market (but they probably aren't.)

I also share Lockback's leeriness that this is going to turn out to be a bait-and-switch into a largely Sales role without commissions.

edit: gently caress I come off as so negative sometimes. Sorry, I really don't mean to. I just want to raise your awareness of potential landmines you might not see. Bottom line though IMO is if this microcompany is really serious about wanting you they'll pay you.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jan 7, 2022

aperfectcirclefan
Nov 21, 2021

by Hand Knit
Nah I appreciate the honesty and truthiness. Technical marketing would be more Google Ad creations I think than sales which is something I can do very well but I don't like doing it lol.

I'll give it a day and see if Job #2 disappointing me or not and then ill check back in on this thread!

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?
Honestly your realism/cynicism(?) are the sort of thing people here want, even if they may not know it initially. A lot of people are still stuck believing companies care and will reward those deserving. The wake up call is the advice most people need to hear (me included), IMO.

aperfectcirclefan
Nov 21, 2021

by Hand Knit
My ex employer that I thought I was going to be with for the rest of my career that I was with for 13 years fired me when I went on workmans comp, so I don't believe these companies at any junction. Kill the rich (myself included eventually!!!)

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I would take the job that pays almost 50% more

Even if it's terrible you can grind it out for a year and go get a real developer job for $100k somewhere

$50k in this economy feels absurdly low but I guess depends on how far you are from a major metro area. I did that twelve almost 14 years ago for $40k and I felt like I was being underpaid

Fake edit: do you live in the UK

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jan 7, 2022

aperfectcirclefan
Nov 21, 2021

by Hand Knit
Nah, I live in a rural but very touristy area.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
Wish me luck everyone or at least get a first hand example of how for profit healthcare is going to obliterate the American healthcare system. If anyone has any advice it would be appreciated but I'm venting more than anything.

Last September I quit my job as an ICU nurse in the deep south. I was making about $31.50 an hour with a base of $28.80 and the rest being certification diffs. I quit my job because I felt that I couldn't provide adequate care between the shortage of not only the nursing staff but also the other staff like CNAs and lab techs and etc. One of my goals was to find a hospital with a nursing union. I did a bunch of research and found one in an area I liked. The place I applied was the major healthcare provider for the area. About 2 years ago the hospital system had been bought out by a massive for profit healthcare system and about a year later the employees unionized in response. I applied for an opening in the ICU in my area of expertise a while back and got an offer today. Based on my interview with the unit manager they are very short staffed. However the base rate HR offered me today was $29.50 with no mention of certification diffs to make up the difference. Rent and cost of living is about 20-30% more than my prior job. I plan to call back tomorrow and tell them that I can't justify taking the position at that rate due to the cost of living differences. I am aware that I could get a travel nurse job making 2-3 times my prior rate but I am single with no family to support and I don't think the additional stress of working in the absolute most desperate hospitals would be worth the wage increase.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

If Tiktok is to be believed California travel nurses are treated pretty well and are making insane money right now. Like almost 200 bucks an hour.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

dude789 posted:

Wish me luck everyone or at least get a first hand example of how for profit healthcare is going to obliterate the American healthcare system. If anyone has any advice it would be appreciated but I'm venting more than anything.

Last September I quit my job as an ICU nurse in the deep south. I was making about $31.50 an hour with a base of $28.80 and the rest being certification diffs. I quit my job because I felt that I couldn't provide adequate care between the shortage of not only the nursing staff but also the other staff like CNAs and lab techs and etc. One of my goals was to find a hospital with a nursing union. I did a bunch of research and found one in an area I liked. The place I applied was the major healthcare provider for the area. About 2 years ago the hospital system had been bought out by a massive for profit healthcare system and about a year later the employees unionized in response. I applied for an opening in the ICU in my area of expertise a while back and got an offer today. Based on my interview with the unit manager they are very short staffed. However the base rate HR offered me today was $29.50 with no mention of certification diffs to make up the difference. Rent and cost of living is about 20-30% more than my prior job. I plan to call back tomorrow and tell them that I can't justify taking the position at that rate due to the cost of living differences. I am aware that I could get a travel nurse job making 2-3 times my prior rate but I am single with no family to support and I don't think the additional stress of working in the absolute most desperate hospitals would be worth the wage increase.
My sister was a nurse working in the ER for all the COVID shenanigans, and quit last year because of stress, staff shortages, and she felt she wasn't getting paid enough for all the BS she had to deal with.

She ended up picking up two part time jobs making almost double what she was in the ER. One job pays ~$50/h a couple days a week to assist in dental surgery (she says it's the easiest job she has ever had). And another per diem gig working for the uni she graduated from grading papers and helping with clinicals.

She said it's wierd to make a lot more money doing way less work, but hard to complain about. Are you set at working at a hospital? If not there are a tons of telework, remote jobs, gov jobs etc that may be something to look at.

Have you looked at PHS? They are often very competitive with outstanding benefits. (https://www.usphs.gov/)

Maybe I got a little to off topic? But may be helpful?

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
Thanks for quick replies. California is the promised land for bedside nurses but it is awful far away from where I am currently. If they don't accept a decent counter offer I'll probably just have to accept something away from the bedside which sucks because it feels like it's a calling but as Rakeris mentioned all the BS and poor reimbursement makes it hard to justify taking a bedside position.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

dude789 posted:

One thing I would be sure to look into is the benefits. If the job comes with fully-paid top-flight health insurance and a pension that might make up the difference. Some union jobs are like that.

That said, a for-profit workplace that only recently went union due to a change in ownership may not have those things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Not much to offer here, but I believe I was in the department that was on the other side doing the anti union push for that situation and left a few months before the vote. Glad to hear the nurses succeeded in unionizing. If it is the company I'm thinking of, I got a real bad vibe about the priorities of their new CHRO around that time as well, who made their introduction speech about being aggressively anti-union.