Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Oh cool. I I'm at work for an hour to learn how to use some lab testing machines, this freestanding emergency department has a drive-thru covid testing site. The last few times that I have been here there are usually three or four cars waiting in line.

This morning at 9:30, the line was stretched beyond The street entrance and wrapping around into the intersecting street.

All is good in this world

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

WarEternal posted:

Do not come, do not come (to the hospital).

My dad who recently tested covid positive said "last night I looked stuff up... DONT LOOK STUFF UP!"

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Frosted Flake posted:

Sure, but it’s not like I instigated a political discussion. I wasn’t pushing my view or her, I didn’t even bring it up! I heard the news, sighed, I guess made a face and said something about it being a bad idea and she was genuinely angry and started talking about how I look for reasons to be angry and nothing Doug Ford could do would make me happy, and even if he had done the right thing, I would say that he should have done it earlier.

It was like getting shouted down for “Let People Enjoy Things”, only it’s not even like I was telling someone not to watch a show, I was just not watching it. Does that make sense?

Anyways, I have to figure a way to navigate this because then she started talking about how my political views endanger her career (I hold a higher security clearance than her) or that if I’m so upset I should vote in the next election (I’m active in NDP committees), but being upset about political things reminds her of her “undergrad phase” (we’re the same age).

I don’t want to steer this into E/N territory, but this came out of nowhere for me because it’s not like I instigated a discussion about Big C or Little C Communism at a dinner party. Does anyone have experience fielding this in their relationships? I was already not talking about politics or covid at home, it’s why I post when I read about this rather than strike up a conversation. I can separate Respirator Crew from the rest of my life, so… what the gently caress?

Material reality is threatening to her because it doesn't match her inner model of the world.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Chard posted:

there are over 2000 posts since i looked at this thread less than a day ago, so i assume something has truly become On Fire, what's the biggest news?
Nothing big, the world is just getting getting milder and milder exponentially

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Strep Vote posted:

Material reality is threatening to her because it doesn't match her inner model of the world.

im tired of this mindset, whens it going to stop :nallears:

the reality bending assholes

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

My dad who recently tested covid positive said "last night I looked stuff up... DONT LOOK STUFF UP!"

lmao

mystes
May 31, 2006

Don't Look (Stuff) Up

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Shear Modulus posted:

remember how during the last biden-bernie debate when they had already put their finger on the scale and biden had all but been anointed and biden said that how bad it was in italy was proof that public healthcare is a terrible idea

lol

also the reason it killed so many people in italy is probably because the population was skewed very old

Health care is mostly up to the provinces now and guess which region of Italy has the most private clinics?

call_of_qthulhu
Nov 21, 2003

Fun Shoe

Lastgirl posted:

hell yeah :twisted:

they better be, gently caress them, living in the american stupor making number go up

i was the only one in there with any kind of mask on :texas:

this was back in september and there was a dude literally spittle-flying screaming mad about how the repairs were handled after the freeze (tbh justified it was just gross). secure clicks are awesome.

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

StashAugustine posted:

welp test results came back and apparently the lovely sinus infection i had was actually covid

Congratulations on your natural immunity 🎉

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

genericnick posted:

Health care is mostly up to the provinces now and guess which region of Italy has the most private clinics?

Is this a game? I'll say Calabria.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Strep Vote posted:

So what do I do?

Just within the context of my relationship. I already avoid political discussion, so how do I keep the peace?

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
football playoffs start today. tens of thousands of people screaming massless at each other. yeeehaw

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

dew worm
Apr 20, 2019

Shear Modulus posted:

remember how during the last biden-bernie debate when they had already put their finger on the scale and biden had all but been anointed and biden said that how bad it was in italy was proof that public healthcare is a terrible idea

lol

also the reason it killed so many people in italy is probably because the population was skewed very old

remember when Biden was polling in like last place for the entire dem 2020 primary and then miraculously won?

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
https://missouriindependent.com/2021/12/30/gov-parson-declares-end-to-covid-emergency-as-cases-soar-to-record-levels/

Good news everyone!

BoothBaberGinsburg
Jan 4, 2021

BoothBaberGinsburg fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Feb 26, 2022

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Frosted Flake posted:

I don’t want to steer this into E/N territory, but this came out of nowhere for me because it’s not like I instigated a discussion about Big C or Little C Communism at a dinner party. Does anyone have experience fielding this in their relationships? I was already not talking about politics or covid at home, it’s why I post when I read about this rather than strike up a conversation. I can separate Respirator Crew from the rest of my life, so… what the gently caress?

imo you can't always avoid a political discussion because politics are real life, and its impossible to avoid. When you go to the grocery store and choose foods thats political. When you avoid going to the mall because of covid, that's political. I would guess you are already doing something more concrete that's bothering your partner and the conversation is a proxy.

Also lol at the advice to embrace bad politics because it would be profitable for your career. Compromise on your beliefs enough and some day you too could be president.

Serf
May 5, 2011

not_superiority posted:

they meet in person completely unmasked and cannot do business via email or zoom.

the governing documents haven't been amended since the 80s to include modern technology and they literally haven't been able to get a voting quorum to change the rule in coming up on 3 years. i showed up in my secure click and goggles to the most recent fruitless meeting and the board was visibility uncomfortable.

this is me at my job except that we do use video calls. they make us come to the office to work and i'm the one person wearing a mask all day every day and people on the calls think i'm loving crazy

Serf
May 5, 2011

triple sulk posted:

i honestly forgot aoc existed til recently

lol yeah same. she just seems to be trotted out occasionally to be a mouthpiece for nancy pelosi. but ever since i found out she was a kennedy intern i knew what was up

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

mystes posted:

Nothing big, the world is just getting getting milder and milder exponentially

i thought maybe covid had evolved Gun and was infecting people via explosive trans-dermal self-projection, the regular end of the world is boring!

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

mystes posted:

Don't Look (Stuff) Up

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

:holymoley:

Binax missing a third of symptomatic cases and two‐thirds of asymptomatic is some bad news.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Dec 31, 2021

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

just look down!

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

mystes posted:

Don't Look (Stuff) Up

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Johnny Cache Hit posted:

good morning. Covid morning

mystes
May 31, 2006

Is he just doing this so he can publicly say "Covid is over :smug:" or is there some specific thing like school closures or something that he's trying to stop by doing this? Because from the article it sounds like this is mainly just going to just have the effect of causing the hospitals in the state to immediately implode.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Frosted Flake posted:

Sure, but it’s not like I instigated a political discussion. I wasn’t pushing my view or her, I didn’t even bring it up! I heard the news, sighed, I guess made a face and said something about it being a bad idea and she was genuinely angry and started talking about how I look for reasons to be angry and nothing Doug Ford could do would make me happy, and even if he had done the right thing, I would say that he should have done it earlier.

It was like getting shouted down for “Let People Enjoy Things”, only it’s not even like I was telling someone not to watch a show, I was just not watching it. Does that make sense?

Anyways, I have to figure a way to navigate this because then she started talking about how my political views endanger her career (I hold a higher security clearance than her) or that if I’m so upset I should vote in the next election (I’m active in NDP committees), but being upset about political things reminds her of her “undergrad phase” (we’re the same age).

You need to talk with her about this directly. It's one thing to disagree (even vehemently), but it's another entirely if your partner literally gets angry with you over how you view the world or how you think. It's never, ever going to end well if they can't at least acknowledge that how you feel is valid.

It blows my mind that so many people in this thread are in relationships where their partner just actively gaslights them over legitimate fears or frustrations.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Chamale posted:

Today marks two years since covid-19 was first announced as a disease outbreak. I made this video in memory of all the lives lost.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Fdw05xTmQo

I couldn't finish this because it made me start crying. I thought I was numb by now

Goatstein
Dec 4, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

does raising taxes cause earthquakes according to this cycle

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

SpaceDrake posted:

The thing that just gets me is that I figured things getting This Bad™ was unrealistic previously (previously being like a year ago) because I thought that the Biden crowd would at least have self-preservation instincts. Allowing covid to run totally unchecked would be a substantial threat to their power and would damage the country in a way that is likely to materially effect them. I hadn't expected them to all just literally turn the stock market in a proper ponzi scheme and assume that, somehow, an actual material collapse of the US economy due to disease damage would not affect their ability to stay safe or maintain wealth. But they really, genuinely do not seem to understand that when the train runs out of steam, they're going to lose most of their wealth and other countries won't support (or likely even tolerate) them.

It's just breathtaking to see. Failson-ism on a civilization-affecting scale.

edit:

Nah. The leg bones were already visibly cracking before Omicron hit. Like you simply need a baseline number of healthy capable people to keep a society going, and when you really start to run out of those people, the zombie demon cracker nation simply falls over and the zone around it becomes indescribably Cool.

I know defeatism feels strong after the past, poo poo. two decades. but there's a stark difference between banal evil getting away with "let's make money killing people in other countries" and "let's make money killing and crippling the people who support the infrastructure that makes our empire work".

I’m way behind, but the overall goal is to stack your accounts high enough to buy a home in France for when you get exiled/are forced to flee the country.

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

Frosted Flake posted:

So what do I do?

Just within the context of my relationship. I already avoid political discussion, so how do I keep the peace?

talking about camping plans for the summer, or whatever safe obtainable oasis you both enjoy. just change the subject to something fun.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

lol

Feste
Apr 7, 2009

https://www.barrons.com/articles/stock-market-2021-51640910494

quote:

If all you had to ponder were the numbers, you would assume that everyone would have fond memories of 2021. Jobs were plentiful. Economic growth was the strongest it had been in decades, and stock returns were out of this world. It’s the kind of data that would have been celebrated just a few years ago.

Despite the New Year, Americans aren’t celebrating—they’re mostly miserable. The University of Michigan Index of Consumer Sentiment dropped 13%, to 70.6, in 2021, the lowest end-of year reading since 2008, when the world was in the throes of the global financial crisis. Unlike that year, when the S&P 500 index dropped 38%, the index is up by more than 27%. That’s the largest stock market gain in a year when sentiment suffered a double-digit drop in at least 25 years. It’s the kind of agony expected from a bunch of teenagers at a Cure concert, but it’s hard to blame people for their gloom.

quote:

Still, it’s rare to see such a disconnect between sentiment and the stock market. Since 1997, there have been 12 years of declining sentiment, with the S&P 500 finishing higher during seven of them. The decline in confidence during those years, however, was usually relatively small. The only year previous to 2020 when confidence suffered a double-digit decline and the market rose was in 2007, when a recession had already started, but the S&P 500 finished up 3%. Never has sentiment suffered double-digit declines for two years in a row only to see the S&P 500 rise by double digits in both years.

really not able to enjoy my gains in what is the obvious precipice of economic collapse because of all the moping

kater
Nov 16, 2010

fosborb posted:

just the whole loving frame filled with hostile architecture

do they realize how on the nose that is?

i have a hard time verbalizing how disgusting i find uses of land, and that it is often a choice to make things even more horrible for anti-social reasons really really hurts.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

"It's ok, people are standing in line because they DON'T have symptoms and/or close exposures"

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

mystes posted:

Don't Look (Stuff) Up

GLOSS
Apr 10, 2005

PEARL GROWLS "TAKE OFF THAT SHIRT, STEVEN." I COMPLY, REVEALING THE FULL LENGTH SHIRT TATTOO. PEARL RETREATS INTO HER GEM, DEFEATED.
https://twitter.com/OscarTheGrouch/status/1476617581163384838

Oscar reveal yourself

oglethorpe2020
May 23, 2020

tux liberation front

https://twitter.com/plmrry/status/1471215372946792454

https://twitter.com/LEX18News/status/1476591531473653764

https://www.wpsdlocal6.com/news/doc...tter_WPSDLocal6

Paducah, KY posted:

"COVID is back, and it's hitting hard right now," Facility Medical Director Dr. Allison Rains says.

[...]

Even though they're stretched thin, that won't impact care you receive.

"We are making beds in our waiting rooms. We're making beds in our hallways. We will see you. We will take care of you. Don't be scared to come to the ER if you need care, but just know their wait times might be a little longer than normal," says Rains.

This New Year's, they encourage you to make smart decisions.

"Please don't forget about COVID. It is still here. This Omicron variant is very contagious," says Rains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

mystes posted:

Is he just doing this so he can publicly say "Covid is over :smug:" or is there some specific thing like school closures or something that he's trying to stop by doing this? Because from the article it sounds like this is mainly just going to just have the effect of causing the hospitals in the state to immediately implode.

In Portland Maine people voted on a referendum to give workers an emergency wage during a state of emergency of $18/hr in 2020, to start in 2021. The city magically interpreted it to mean 2022, and now that 2022 is right around the corner they're going to vote on ending the state of emergency, with covid the worst it's ever been, lmao. I don't know what the makeup of city council is, cuz I stopped giving a gently caress long ago, but I guarantee even if the council somehow votes to uphold it the mayor will trot out some other bullshit to get around it.